Free Game Coupon code

edited November 2011 in Tales of Monkey Island
As many of you guys have pre-ordered TOMI, as you know you get a free game coupn code, now i havent used mine yet, but since its just a code, i was wondering does it have to be used on a game, or can it be used on anything else within the store,cause i was thinking,if there is monkey island merchandise on telltale coming soon, then id rather use it on that

also does it have an expiry date? but if it has to be a game, what would you guys recommend, cause im new to the telltale site, and is it the full game you use with the coupon or just an episode, if so id perfer a hard copy sent out to me

phew so many questions - sorry guys, but just needed to know

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Wolfstar27 wrote: »
    As many of you guys have pre-ordered TOMI, as you know you get a free game coupn code, now i havent used mine yet, but since its just a code, i was wondering does it have to be used on a game, or can it be used on anything else within the store,cause i was thinking,if there is monkey island merchandise on telltale coming soon, then id rather use it on that

also does it have an expiry date? but if it has to be a game, what would you guys recommend, cause im new to the telltale site, and is it the full game you use with the coupon or just an episode, if so id perfer a hard copy sent out to me

phew so many questions - sorry guys, but just needed to know

As far as I understand it must be used on a single episode of any game of your choice, but it can not be used on a bundle or on any other merchandise.
  • edited June 2009
    I recommend Wallace and Gromit - Fright of the Bumblebees. Sam and Max already has a free episode, so if you want a taster of a full series, Wallace is the way to go. It's pretty easy but it's as good as the movies, and I could recommend it to everyone. Once all my exams are over, I intend to buy the rest of the saga.
  • edited June 2009
    It's hard to recommend using the code on a single episode of Wallace and Gromit when there's no upgrade option for people who've already bought an episode. Though the difference is kind of negligible, I think? My math is giving me different numbers, so I suppose I'm doing something wrong. :P
  • edited June 2009
    There is no upgrade, but it costs $35.95 for the full version (american dollars, not doing my australian conversion of 35 x 1.2) or $36 to buy em individually.

So it's the same. Mostly.

So I recommend it. If you have watched the original movies recently, there's a lot of fanservice.
  • edited June 2009
    ..or perhaps maybe a 'Strong Bad' episode?
  • edited June 2009
    I would like to 2nd the request to be able to use the coupon on merchandise... it would make me a happier customer (and I'm yet to be a happy customer yet as my product isn't downloadable until next month!)
  • edited June 2009
    It's hard to recommend using the code on a single episode of Wallace and Gromit when there's no upgrade option for people who've already bought an episode.

Do you think that this free episode coupon would count toward the upgrade (for the series that offer it)? Or would it not count as an episode "purchased"?

Anyone tried?
  • edited June 2009
    JDV72 wrote: »
    Do you think that this free episode coupon would count toward the upgrade (for the series that offer it)? Or would it not count as an episode "purchased"?

Anyone tried?
    I know that when I received a free episode of a series, that it counted toward the reduced price for the season. I have a free episode of SBCG4AP sitting on my account right now, so if I go to the page for the SBCG4AP season, I always see the discounted price.

It seems your best bet if you want to use it as a discount for a season would be Strong Bad.

I've actually done the math right this time! :D

(Disclaimer: "I've actually done the math right this time! :D" and all associated phrases are not a guarantee of any kind. It is strongly suggested that you double-check Rather Dashing's horrible math. Math not actually done by Rather Dashing, but typed into the default calculator application in Windows Vista Home Premium(tm). Results not typical. Results may very. Side effects include loss of hair, toenails, and/or lungs, flaky skin, nausea, and/or death. The following advice assumes you want to save the most money on a full season of a series. All seasons below are organized by savings for getting the whole season after getting a free episode, from least to most.)

-Sam and Max Season One(right now) is at a special price of $20. Not sure how long it lasts, but it's more attractive than the upgrade price of $26(giving you a savings of negative $6. Not the best option).

-Season Two has a bundle that's a better deal. The coupon can't be used towards bundles and there's no upgrade to a bundle option as far as I know. If you look at the prices, if you want to get Season Two you're going to want to pick up Paperback Special bundle. It's actually less expensive than Season Two by itself, so you're basically getting the book added to Season Two for the price of NEGATIVE FIVE DOLLARS. The Season Two upgrade is $26 as opposed to the upgrade's $29, so some people who either already own the book or really want to save that three bucks by not getting the book could use the coupon for a savings of $3.

-Not sure if they work on Bone. If you get one free and buy the other, that's a savings of $6 on the download bundle.

-Wallace and Gromit has very little difference between the Season price and the price for all games together.

Full Season bundle: $34.95
    All 4 Episodes: $35.80
    3 episodes: $26.85

So even without an upgrade option, you're saving $8.10 if you buy all the episodes individually after redeeming your coupon.

-Strong Bad

Edges into the lead just barely.

Full season: $34.95
    All 5 episodes: $44.95
    4 episodes: $35.80
    Season Upgrade: $26.00

So if you get the Season Upgrade after getting a free episode, you save the full $8.95 price of the episode on the season, edging out the savings of Wallace and Gromit due to its lack of an Upgrade option by $0.85.
  • edited June 2009
    JDV72 wrote: »

Anyone tried?

i used my coupon to buy sam and max episode 101. then, 4 hours later, i bought the entire season as an upgrade and i must say that (except for episodes 102 and 103) it's a great game
  • edited July 2009
    Does the coupon code last forever, or will it expire? SBAG4AP is the only option available to me to use it on, and if I can let my code linger in limbo until Telltale's next project, I might want to do that instead.
  • edited July 2009
    Does the coupon code last forever, or will it expire? SBAG4AP is the only option available to me to use it on, and if I can let my code linger in limbo until Telltale's next project, I might want to do that instead.
    Somewhere on this forum in another thread I read that the coupon expires in June 2010.
  • edited July 2009
    Fury wrote: »
    I recommend Wallace and Gromit - Fright of the Bumblebees. Sam and Max already has a free episode, so if you want a taster of a full series, Wallace is the way to go. It's pretty easy but it's as good as the movies, and I could recommend it to everyone. Once all my exams are over, I intend to buy the rest of the saga.

Is there still a free episode for Sam & Max? Or did I miss this opportunity? I just pre-ordered ToMI and I'm trying to decide which game to get. I will likely get a Sam & Max episode if there is no longer an episode available for free.
  • edited July 2009
    Sam & Max episode 104 is free.

http://www.telltalegames.com/store/samandmax
  • edited July 2009
    Sweet thanks! Now I'll have two episodes to tide me over until Tuesday!
  • edited July 2009
    Sweet thanks! Now I'll have two episodes to tide me over until Tuesday!
    Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the free S&M episode made you egligible for the cheaper full season upgrade... ;)

np: Masha Qrella - One Life To Live (Speaklow (Loewe And Weill In Exile))
  • edited July 2009
    Leak wrote: »
    Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the free S&M episode made you egligible for the cheaper full season upgrade... ;)

It doesn't but it doesn't really matter because the entire Season 1 purchase is actually less expensive than what is listed as the upgrade.
  • edited July 2009
    plrichard wrote: »
    It doesn't but it doesn't really matter because the entire Season 1 purchase is actually less expensive than what is listed as the upgrade.
    Now that you mention it... I hadn't looked that closely at the store page.

But wouldn't that make the Season One upgrade highly redundant, if not prohibitively, errr, relatively expensive? :confused:

np: Masha Qrella - Wandering Star (Speaklow (Loewe And Weill In Exile))
  • edited July 2009
    Now that you mention it... I hadn't looked that closely at the store page.

But wouldn't that make the Season One upgrade highly redundant, if not prohibitively, errr, relatively expensive? :confused:

np: Masha Qrella - Wandering Star (Speaklow (Loewe And Weill In Exile))

Yeah, I actually just bought the first season and so I noticed that. Hopefully not too many people will make that mistake and Telltale will either fix that price or remove that option.
  • vizviz
    edited July 2009

The upgrades require an order number to vaildate, however the free episode is a simple download and install process - no order number and no serial is provided so it won't be eligible for upgrade.

Edit: Also, the full season 1 price is a temporary reduction, from what I gather it will rise shortly after Monkey Island is released.
  • edited July 2009
    I'm just a 17-year-old french boy, so tell me if I'm wrong. I'm not sure but I understood that with this coupon I can download an episode of any game for free. So it means that for 35$ (using the coupon), I have the 5 episodes of ToMI, and one other episode of my choice ??
  • edited July 2009
    Darmans wrote: »
    I'm just a 17-year-old french boy, so tell me if I'm wrong. I'm not sure but I understood that with this coupon I can download an episode of any game for free. So it means that for 35$ (using the coupon), I have the 5 episodes of ToMI, and one other episode of my choice ??
    Exactly. The coupon will expire about 11 months from now, though, so don't wait too long.

np: Ramadanman - Carla (Soul Jazz Records Singles 2008-2009 (Disc 1))
  • edited July 2009
    If anyone wants to know what to do with their free episode I suggest buying the Sam & Max season 2 episode Chariots of the Dogs It's telltale's best game IMHO
  • edited July 2009
    I just pre-ordered Tales of Monkey Island. So... does that include the dvd of the games as well once they come out, or do I just get the downloaded version of them?
  • edited July 2009
    Nightlight wrote: »
    I just pre-ordered Tales of Monkey Island. So... does that include the dvd of the games as well once they come out, or do I just get the downloaded version of them?

You get to download a new episode each month when it gets released, and once the season is finished you can then get a DVD of the games for only the cost of shipping.
  • edited July 2009
    Nightlight wrote: »
    If you order the download (no matter if you pre-order or not) you'll have the opportunity to get the DVD for just the shipping costs when it is released some time after the season has finished.

Pre-ordering gets you the special sleeve design by Steve Purcell, though. :)

np: Kutz - Drumz Of No Return (Soul Jazz Records Singles 2008-2009 (Disc 1))
  • edited July 2009
    Hero1 wrote: »
    You get to download a new episode each month when it gets released, and once the season is finished you can then get a DVD of the games for only the cost of shipping.

Thanks. Small world, you live in the same city as me...
  • edited July 2009
    yeah, theres a lot of australians on these forums!
  • edited July 2009
    Personally, I used my code to purchase Bone: Out of Boneville and really enjoyed it so I'm gonna go buy the second one. Seemed like the best use of the offer IMO was to get something that I couldn't buy in a big package, cause anything I enjoy I'd want em all (making both bones into ~4$ an episode effectively).
  • edited April 2010
    Ok guys, I preordered Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse. I have the entire Tales of Monkey Island, Sam & Max Seasons 1 & 2, & the entire Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People. What should I use my coupon on now?
  • edited April 2010
    I used every free code I got to get the entire season of Wallace and Gromit.. it took a while but I eventually got the entire thing free..(plus the free ep they gave away for its 20th anniversary) then was able to order the DVD.
  • edited April 2010
    Im going to use it to get sam and max lincon must die
  • edited April 2010
    ive got all of Tales, and got one episode of Bones and one episode of Strong Bad, ive still got the free episode coupon, i was thinking of getting the other Bones episode and completing it, or going for the first episode of Strong bad, but im really not sure :(
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited April 2010
    Im going to use it to get sam and max lincon must die

Good call! There's no better use for a coupon than using it on a free game.
    Maybe that's your way of giving back to Telltale! ;)
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited April 2010
    ive got all of Tales, and got one episode of Bones and one episode of Strong Bad, ive still got the free episode coupon, i was thinking of getting the other Bones episode and completing it, or going for the first episode of Strong bad, but im really not sure :(

Which one did you like better? Or maybe you should try the free episode of Sam & Max (the one on this page that retails for $0.00) and maybe you'll decide to use your coupon on a Sam & Max episode!
    So many choices... and let's not forget Wallace & Gromit (and Telltale Texas Hold'Em)!
  • edited April 2010
    I would say to use it on Bone. It was TTG's first forray into adventure gaming, but the series was never finished. It isn't worth the full price, but seeing as if you preorder Sam&Max s3 you also get a free coupon, you could use both and get the whole season for free!
  • edited April 2010
    or y'know you could give it to me.
  • edited May 2010
    or y'know you could give it to me.

lol no i think i might keep it, but i have played the free Sam & Max episode, hmmm i was wonder if the coupon can be redeemed to puzzle agent? that looks intresting
  • edited May 2010
    i was wonder if the coupon can be redeemed to puzzle agent? that looks intresting
    It can't.
  • edited May 2010
    aww darn, ill look into another free episode, id probably go with Bone
  • edited September 2010
    Personally, I used my code to purchase Bone: Out of Boneville and really enjoyed it so I'm gonna go buy the second one. Seemed like the best use of the offer IMO was to get something that I couldn't buy in a big package, cause anything I enjoy I'd want em all (making both bones into ~4$ an episode effectively).
    Hey, I used my S&M free game coupon code for that!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.