The layout of the house - games vs movie/shorts

edited September 2010 in Wallace & Gromit
I watched Curse of the Were Rabbit tonight and noticed that the layout of W&G's house is a little different in the movie than in the game. Admittedly, I have only played the first episode of the series, so if the layout changes in each episode then I am not yet aware.

Just curious why the placement of things in the game is different than in the movie? Was there a reason to change it?

A few examples I noticed:

-The fridge in the movie is where the blender is located in the game.

-There is no closet in the kitchen (movie) whereas the game has one full of crackers

-Where the closet would be is actually an opening/doorway into the dining room (movie)

-The cellar doors are placed in the front of the house (movie) but on the side of the house (game)

Comments

• edited July 2009
    Were-Rabbit isn't the entirety of Wallace and Gromit, at least. I haven't watched the other shorts for confirmation, but I doubt that even the house has any real consistency between shows. It's always about the two characters, and everything around them is mroe or less able to be changed up for the benefit of a story.
  • edited July 2009
    Well, the basement in the game and shorts are pretty much spot-on. :)
  • langleylangley Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    My memory is a little fuzzy, but I believe the layout of the house does change between the various shorts and the movie. So that gave us justification for a certain amount of creative license.

We went through a LOT of different layouts of the house. The main goal was that we wanted the house to have as much of a left-to-right layout as possible so that we weren't constantly changing the player's orientation when they went from one room to the other. How successful we were on that is debatable. But keeping the orientation the same between the hallway, living room, and dining room was nice.

The other goal was to make the hallway the main gateway between the rooms. I think we experimented with having you able to go from the dining room to the kitchen via a back door, but in the end, having the hallway be the common link seemed the most intuitive.

Any other changes you mentioned were probably just made to better accommodate puzzles and cameras.
  • edited July 2009
    Cool, thanks for the explanation! It was just curiosity on my part. I'm definitely happy with the first episode and am currently playing the second now. I think the house fits in great with the W&G universe, though I would like to see Gromit's room at some point (haven't played the 3rd or 4th episodes yet, so perhaps it does make an appearance).

And I do think the house that you ended up going with works just fine for the puzzles and navigating. I believe your goal of making the hallway the "gateway" was successful, too. I don't think navigating the house is difficult or confusing at all.

What is confusing about the house, though, is that Wallace does not seem to have a bathroom. How long has he been holding it, I wonder? Poor guy... ;-)
    langley wrote: »
    My memory is a little fuzzy, but I believe the layout of the house does change between the various shorts and the movie. So that gave us justification for a certain amount of creative license.

We went through a LOT of different layouts of the house. The main goal was that we wanted the house to have as much of a left-to-right layout as possible so that we weren't constantly changing the player's orientation when they went from one room to the other. How successful we were on that is debatable. But keeping the orientation the same between the hallway, living room, and dining room was nice.

The other goal was to make the hallway the main gateway between the rooms. I think we experimented with having you able to go from the dining room to the kitchen via a back door, but in the end, having the hallway be the common link seemed the most intuitive.

Any other changes you mentioned were probably just made to better accommodate puzzles and cameras.
  • edited July 2009
    There's probably more to the upstairs area of the house (Gromit's room, the bathroom) but we haven't seen it yet in the games... because there's been no need to.
  • edited July 2009
    Molokov wrote: »
    There's probably more to the upstairs area of the house (Gromit's room, the bathroom) but we haven't seen it yet in the games... because there's been no need to.

Maybe in Season 2

There better be a season 2.... If not.... lets just say that it won't be pretty.... & I don't mean like my girlfriend's mom either.... I mean like intestines & gull bladders on the highway... understand? Gooooooooooooood...
  • edited July 2009
    I think the layout of their house has always changed to fit the current episode.

Picking two shorts out as an example, if you think about it the layout of their house changed dramatically between The Wrong Trousers and A matter of Loaf or Death
  • edited July 2009
    Wallace is, of course, always modifying the house with new inventions, causing the house to evolve between episodes. ;)
  • edited September 2010
    jedimacfan wrote: »
    Cool, thanks for the explanation! It was just curiosity on my part. I'm definitely happy with the first episode and am currently playing the second now. I think the house fits in great with the W&G universe, though I would like to see Gromit's room at some point (haven't played the 3rd or 4th episodes yet, so perhaps it does make an appearance).

And I do think the house that you ended up going with works just fine for the puzzles and navigating. I believe your goal of making the hallway the "gateway" was successful, too. I don't think navigating the house is difficult or confusing at all.

What is confusing about the house, though, is that Wallace does not seem to have a bathroom. How long has he been holding it, I wonder? Poor guy... ;-)

He bathroom and gromit's room must be upstairs somewhere but you can't access them, you can only access wallace's room, there must be a landing up there with 2 or more rooms.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.