Sam & Max's Voices...

edited September 2005 in Sam & Max
I doubt this has been addressed yet, as development hasn't exactly been underway for long, but it'd be nice to know who Telltale intend to get in to do the duo's voices...

As I understand it - the voices for the TV series weren't by the same guys as the Talkie version of Hit The Road...
- I've never watched the series - how different *were* the voices? Did they pull it off, or would it be substantially more awesome to get the original dudes back again?

imdb.com informs me that the original voices were by Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson... and as far as I can tell, they're both entirely alive... and both still doing games voiceovers.

Infact - was it them doing the voices in the trailer-vid for the cancelled Sam & Max 2?

Comments

• edited September 2005
    Farmer and Jameson did reprise thier roles for Freelance Police. They may have even recorded most of their voice work. I hope Telltale can use them for their game(s).
  • edited September 2005
    Cool!

(Does it involve wanton destruction?)
    - We can only hope.
  • edited September 2005
    The voices for the cartoon were Harvey Atkin and Robert Tinkler. They were fantastic, although different from the voice actors.

If for some weird reason they ever made a Sam & Max LIVE-Action with Sam & Max becoming humans though, Atkin and Tinkler would be obvious choices, they seriously are the characters.

Harvey is gruff, overweight, balding/bald older gentleman with a laidback attitude and can be dirty (hell, it's a role he's played) while Robert is short, nerdy, but full of energy and can be crazy at a moments noticed as portrayed by roles he's played.

I think either them or the original Lucasarts guys would be choice...but I think if they want to CEMENT the franchise Tinkler and Atkin would be choice and give Sam and Max more character then more traditional voice actors like Farmer and Jameson...

I also feel Telltale should be trying to carve themselves a new place in the market, not be the wake of what was once Lucasarts brilliant adventure gaming division.

That's just my opinion though...
  • edited September 2005
    How would picking Farmer and Jameson again have anything to do with preventing Telltale from "carving themselves a new place in the market, not being in the wake of what was once Lucasarts brilliant adventure gaming division?" Voice actors are picked because they are the best representation of the roles they're playing whether they physically look like them or not (which has nothing to do with anything, least of all how much "character" they put into a performance). If Telltale choses the same actors again, it won't be because they're trying to pretend like they're LucasArts or something. Their games are going to set them apart.

Obviously I'm biased towards Farmer and Jameson. What can I say? They were great in Hit the Road and they are Sam & Max to me and probably to most people who played the game. I would however be interested in knowing what you meant by their being "traditional" voice actors in comparison to Atkin and Tinkler? They're all pretty accomplished voice actors based on their resumes.
  • edited September 2005
    As I said it was my opinion and scope with that particular comment. I personally also never really cared for the talkie version of Sam & Max... they were passable voices, but seemed unspirited and didn't really capture what I thought of when I created my own voices from Steve's comics (I'm a LONG LONG LONG LONG time fan of Purcell... and somewhere I actually have a drawing of Guybrush Threepwood by Steve... whereever that sketch book is I would love to know)...

The reason I see Jameson and Farmer as more traditional is they both do more VARIOUS characters and a LARGE slection of characters, including just background bit characters in everything from cartoons to games...

while Atkin has been hired for very very specific roles and his voice really does fit his look... and also how I always thought of Sam... gruff, tired, but still tough and rumble...

the same can be said of Tinkler in that regard. Both Atkin and Tinkler have also done their share of non-voice acting and just traditional acting because of their look and style.

While both Jameson and Framer have done some of that as well, most of their work is voice and in that regard, most of their work is as VIDEO game voices...

That doesn't mean they wouldn't do the job well, although I never really felt they made the right voices.

I respect your bias of course. I hope you respect mine in using replaying Sam & max in the non-talkie version. ;)
  • edited September 2005
    I respect your SNM bias as well, and I'm not trying to change your mind here. I'm not even talking about Sam and Max anymore. I just find some of your views of voice acting different from mine. We should make a voice acting thread. ;)

How many roles a voice actor as taken really doesn't say anything about the quality of their performance. It's not like you can equate Farmer to an A-list hollywood bigshot and Atkin to a brilliant underdog character actor based just on their resume lengths. Full-fledged voice actors do this stuff for a living, and therefore take jobs to get work. They don't always have the luxury of landing roles they were born to play (Though of course they sometimes do, like with Farmer and Jameson in Sam & Max ;) ). And again, whether or not the actor's voice fits what the actor looks like means nothing. I'm not sure why you keep bringing that up. Some of the best voice actors don't look at all like the character they're playing, but that's their magic. They could be absolutely horrible onscreen, but acting physically and acting vocally or two completely different animals. Atkin is gifted at both, apparently, but that's generally the exception rather than the rule. Why?

I've generally found that the best voice acting, especially in adventure games or otherwise story-driven games where emotion, timing, and quality actually matters and where the dialog is actually important to the game (rather than a marketing ploy or an extra just to add another option to the menu), comes from...surprise!...real voice actors. The worst voice acting is almost always when one is hired because they're well-known names (For instance, I doubt Samuel L. Jackson is in some of the games he's in because he brings the characters to life). Of course, I'm not likening Atkin to that sort of example (he's a voice actor), but my point is that a person's capacity for physical performance has zero to do with voice acting.

And now, in an attempt to keep this thread on-topic, Sam and Max: I don't doubt that a lot my bias for the Hit the Road voices comes from the fact that the game came out before the show. Once I heard those voices and how good they were I couldn't imagine anyone else playing the roles. I liked the animated show voices (Didn't Purcell supposedly prefer them, by the way?), but...Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson are Sam and Max. That's just all there is to it. :p :D
  • edited September 2005
    Check it out (referring to an idea for the cancelled LucasArts Sam & Max game);
    Dan: My favorite part of the game was the third episode where Sam and Max confront the arch nemeses they never realized they had. These nemeses were two humans who were also an imitation of Sam and Max. Anyway we were casting for the voice parts and Stemmle had the brilliant idea to cast the Sam and Max from the cartoon series to play the arch nemeses. Well unfortunately budget restraints kept us from actually hiring those guys but that would have been so cool. What we did do was have Nick Jameson and Bill Farmer play the arch nemeses but have them switch parts which was funny as well.

Just a funny quip...
  • edited September 2005
    Stemmle. Another "cast member" I'd like to see brought back.
  • edited September 2005
    Well the good news (as I know you know, Udvarnoky) is that Stemmle and Telltale are in contact and on very good terms.
    Mike Stemmle, veteran interactive writer and designer, says "Telltale's new format makes me all a-tingly with storytelling and design possibilities. It's nice to see a company with the huevos to try something different."

And Dave Grossman who's proved his storywriting nous at LucasArts is at Telltale of course, so even without Stemmle (or with him in some sort of consultant role), the franchise is in great hands.

Where's Sean Clarke these days?
  • edited September 2005
    I don't think Sean Clark's been heard of since the April 2004 layoffs.
  • edited September 2005
    Just a random bit of trivia... Bill Farmer, the voice of Sam in the game (and the trailer for Freelance Police) is also the current voice of Goofy for Disney.
  • edited September 2005
    Wahay! - Today's best piece of random trivia...

Applaud this man!
  • edited September 2005
    I am a veritable font of random and often pointless trivia.
  • edited September 2005
    I thought it was brilliance to have the cast of the animated show play the parts of the evil doers...

I would have loved to have heard even just a vocal recording between the four of them. That's the stuff fanboys are made of.

I would want the game voices back for this one, as they have already recorded dialog that is sitting on a disk in LucasArts wharehouse... where, I believe, the Lost Ark was put in Raiders...

Of course, if for some reason those two were unable, I would of course take the TV show. Anyone else to voice them, no... I would be hard pressed to not bend over backwards to just get some original voices for this game, even though the game and series were around 10-13 years ago.

And don't forget Mark Hamill! :D
  • edited September 2005
    They did record dialogue, and it is a LucasArts...but LucasArts would own the recordings and Telltale's starting from scratch, so...

But yeah, to think that there's all this material just rotting away over there. Man.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.