Gromits changing anatomy

edited August 2009 in Wallace & Gromit
Playing through "Muzzled!" again today, I've noticed something strange:

Whenever Gromit is walking on all fours, he only has 3 toes/fingers on each paw... but as soon as he stands up and does something with his hands, he suddenly has thumbs. Plus he gets shoulders, which he doesn't have otherwise.

So, I guess Telltale switches between those two Gromit-models on the fly, depending on which one is better suited for the required animation. But I'm wondering why the "walk on all fours"-model doesn't have thumbs... it's not like they couldn't be put flat on the ground as well...

wg_hive.jpg

wg103_gromit_trouble.jpg

Edit: Ah, stupid missing apostrophe in the title...

Comments

• edited July 2009
    That is a really good point. Telltale, you got some 'splainin to do!
  • edited July 2009
    To quote the MST3K theme:
    "Just repeat to yourself "It's just a show", I should really just relax"
    :D
  • edited July 2009
    I'm just interested in the background to that decision... I don't want to blame them for anything ;)
  • edited July 2009
    I'm guessing they thought it looked stupid with 4 toes on the ground or something?
  • edited July 2009
    I am pretty sure that's how Aardman does it.
    wallace-gromit-1_1115730c.jpg
    55657315.jpg
  • edited July 2009
    Oh, Telltale's got the details down, yet again! This is only one of the reasons why they're my favourite.
  • edited July 2009
    Haha funny little detail :) thats what makes cartoony erm cartoony :D the power to bend reality! :)
  • langleylangley Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    Aardman uses two entirely different sculpted versions of Gromit in the films... one of him on all fours and one of him on just two legs. The main difference, other than his paws, is the way his neck connects to his shoulders. The filmmakers swap out his model whenever they need it, and sometimes even on camera. For example, in Curse of the Were-Rabbit, the switch happens on one frame while he's going from two legs to four. It's actually hard to even notice it.

We did the exact same thing. Gromit's 3D model switches between two different ones. It took a lot of effort to get that working, but I guess we were successful since people didn't really notice until now.

So yes, we do our homework.
  • edited July 2009
    Then, I'm sorry for blowing the cover ;)
  • edited July 2009
    langley wrote: »

We did the exact same thing. Gromit's 3D model switches between two different ones. It took a lot of effort to get that working, but I guess we were successful since people didn't really notice until now.

So yes, we do our homework.

Wow, that IS impressive. Not only are you going for the looks and feel of the series, you are also taking the making of the short films into account..!
  • SkySky
    edited July 2009
    I don't know why he has that thumb/no thumb anatomy but frankly, I'm jealous. That would be such a cool power to have the ability to grow a thumb at will.:D
  • edited July 2009
    Wow- I think this is the first time I've seen "It not a bug, it's a feature," actually be true!
  • edited July 2009
    Yeah, that's really cool. Telltale rocks. Again.
  • edited July 2009
    I think, when Gromit is walking on all 4 legs, a thumb would look weird.
  • edited July 2009
    Maybe his thumbs retract into his paws.

Or something.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2009
    Bruno83 wrote: »
    I think, when Gromit is walking on all 4 legs, a thumb would look weird.

That, and when he's on two legs a thumb is pretty much necessary for him to use tools. Doing stuff without using the thumb is not easy. It's a funny thing to try though.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.