The Iron Man of Ironrath

edited February 2015 in Game Of Thrones

What if The Red Wedding massacre did not take Ser Rodrik Forrester? Hear Ye My Theory.

There is a high probability that Rodrik lived. Yes he took a stab to the knee and a horse fell on him which seemed hopeless but he could of pushed the horse aside when he regain his consciousness and then rally other survivors loyal to the Starks or if not from House Stark itself. And if he were saved that would mean that when Gared Tuttle fled, and next Ser Rodrik rescued his father and the group of survivors now stayed in the jungle stuck in the Danger Zone. That would of been nice for wishful thinking.

Ser Rodrik the Iron Man has a nice ring to it and I also want some fancy swordplay in the game so tell me is this theory possible? What are your thoughts? I'm glad that Rodrik was revived and lived to hold on the legacy as Lord Forrester.

Comments

• edited December 2014

I'd bet 100% that Rodrik is alive. It is not as easily explainable as you make out though.

War horses weigh 900kg. You can't just 'push that off' you: it would crush your bones.

Telltale's probably just going to give him a broken arm and say 'wow look guyz he lived isn't that cooooool' though.

• Forgive me I grew up watching cartoons like He-Man where the hero does that kind of thing haha.

• I don't blame you the confusion: when Rodrik returns it'll be about as realistic as He-Man.

michael911 posted: »

Forgive me I grew up watching cartoons like He-Man where the hero does that kind of thing haha.

• (sigh) Please... (sigh)

You know that, in the end of the day, he can take a bullet in the lung from Arvo's shotgun and get stitched, bandaged and everything else while his bros race up with a car while runnig from some wulkars. And you won't be able to do nothing, nothing about it, or about anything. So you're just gonna come to Telltale's threads and intelligently criticize and argue how Telltale Games is flawed in every single way possible...

Oh dear, that is truly a miserable fact of science... And to think (again and again) that a war horse weights 900kg!! Oh dear!!

Flog61 posted: »

I'd bet 100% that Rodrik is alive. It is not as easily explainable as you make out though. War horses weigh 900kg. You can't just 'push t

• edited December 2014

I agree of course but then again the Queen once said, "When you play the game of thrones, you win or you DIE"

I don't blame you the confusion: when Rodrik returns it'll be about as realistic as He-Man.

• edited December 2014

...I don't remotely say how Telltale is always flawed. I really love all their games. Some of their characters I rank higher than Bioware's.

I'm just saying in this specific circumstance, it would be annoying.

I know I can't do anything about it; that doesn't mean I have to approve, does it?

Or does it? We can't do anything about the situation in Russia; do I have to approve of the situation in Russia?

(sigh) Please... (sigh) You know that, in the end of the day, he can take a bullet in the lung from Arvo's shotgun and get stitched, band

• Rodrik didn't really play the game though, he was just a soldier who was crushed.

I agree of course but then again the Queen once said, "When you play the game of thrones, you win or you DIE"

• Broken bones, bruised and seriously damaged internal organs, and internal bleeding are a triple triad when a horse falls on a soldier. I'd be willing to bet that even with a doctor or surgeon standing right next to it when it happens, a victim of a horse's crushing weight would invariably succumb to his injuries. See Malcom Baldridge 1987, unarmored politician, and John of Ibelin 1236, armored and campaigning against the Muslims. If the Freys didn't make sure Rodrik died, reality did, and reality ensues quite a lot in the Song of Ice and Fire.

• and reality ensues quite a lot in the Song of Ice and Fire.

Well, there are things like shadows conceived through sexual intercourse to use against your foes and, of course, a power that allows a person strong enough in that magic to raise a dead human... regardless of how long it been since they died, just as long as most of internal and external organs (though, I imagine, only brain is actually needed) are still kind of intact.

Hbh128 posted: »

Broken bones, bruised and seriously damaged internal organs, and internal bleeding are a triple triad when a horse falls on a soldier. I'd b

• Rodrik will be returning though. Telltale are just ignoring the physics of the matter.

Broken bones, bruised and seriously damaged internal organs, and internal bleeding are a triple triad when a horse falls on a soldier. I'd b

• True but you are forgetting the Others / White Walkers, Giants, Dragons, Children of the forest and DireWolves in that universe are fictional. My point is that since we know too little about the character of Rodrik, there might be a good chance that by miracle he lives on to become Lord. Unless Telltale is too lazy to find a voice actor fitting enough for said character. I don't know.

• Hey flog I think he was talking about the scene in TWD Season Two with the Russians?

...I don't remotely say how Telltale is always flawed. I really love all their games. Some of their characters I rank higher than Bioware's.

• To a gamer he is or was just a soldier. To the Lannisters, Rodrik stands with King Robb Stark and thus a thorn in their backside to become rulership. Just my two cents.

Here's a description from TTG about Rodrik:

When Robb Stark called his banners to war, Lord Forrester asked Rodrik to stay behind and protect Ironrath; but Rodrik would have none of it. Instead, he rode off side-by-side with his father, and led the Forrester cavalry with such valor that his name came to be feared amongst the ranks of the Lannister soldiers.

Rodrik didn't really play the game though, he was just a soldier who was crushed.

• I don't think there were cars in that scene?

Hey flog I think he was talking about the scene in TWD Season Two with the Russians?

• If Rodrik somehow comes back alive than I demand that Ned Stark gets resurrected in S5 of the show.

• There's no if. I guarantee he is returning.

If Rodrik somehow comes back alive than I demand that Ned Stark gets resurrected in S5 of the show.

• Actually, I wouldn't say so. I'm just guessing here you're relating this to Telltale bringing back Kenny, but with characters like Kenny, there was a hint/possibility he could be brought back (ex. his death screams being taken out in S1 E5). With Rodrik, he had no lines,less than 10 lines from other characters talking about him, and was just a minor character in the 5 minutes he was in the episode. Asher is the one that is being all hyped to resume his role as Lord of Ironrath, hence there is no reason to bring back Rodrik.

There's no if. I guarantee he is returning.

• Oh sorry. It's been awhile since I played as Clementine.

I don't think there were cars in that scene?

• edited December 2014

I'm not relating it to Telltale bringing back Kenny. I have solid evidence.

And I'm betting Asher vs Rodrik as lord of Ironrath is going to be one of the biggest choices later down the line.

Actually, I wouldn't say so. I'm just guessing here you're relating this to Telltale bringing back Kenny, but with characters like Kenny, th

• Asher vs Rodrik would be a big plot twist already!

• And I'm betting Asher vs Rodrik as lord of Ironrath is going to be one of the biggest choices later down the line.

If they do bring back Rodrik, then no, it won't be a choice. By rights the Lord of Ironrath title goes to Rodrik, and the only way Asher would get is if he went to war on his own house to kill Rodrik... highly doubt that.

• I'm willing to bet anything that the brothers will clash personalities severely.

It doesn't have to be war. Have you played Dragon Age Inquisition? They have this thing called The Great Game. I'm guessing Game of Thrones is about the same concept: wars are oftenmost fought silently.

And I'm betting Asher vs Rodrik as lord of Ironrath is going to be one of the biggest choices later down the line. If they do bring

• guessing Game of Thrones is about the same concept: wars are oftenmost fought silently.

Not really. A lot of deaths have occurred for something silly, but the overall concept/basis behind the wars that take place in the series aren't

They have this thing called The Great Game.

What is The Great Game? It could make sense if I knew a little about it.

In all honesty though, by rights the title of Lord belongs to Rodrik if he is alive. Them having a civil war in one house while there is an actual civil war throughout the whole country would be stupid.

I'm willing to bet anything that the brothers will clash personalities severely. It doesn't have to be war. Have you played Dragon Age In

• edited December 2014

Sorry, it's called the Grand Game, 'where moves are made with rumours and scandal is the chief weapon'.

It's basically...I'm not sure how best to describe it. So in the country of Orlais in Dragon Age they have a very intricate system of nobles, with tens of different titles showing rank. The Grand Game is all about climbing rank without any open conflict whatsoever.

People hire spies, assassins, make appearances to gain supporters, marry off their children and garner collections.

People are so well versed in the game that those ideas are far too simple to succeed, and that's where the best players come: if you hire an assassin to kill someone someone, a good player of the Game has already paid theat same assassin to kill you when they meet to discuss the job with you.

Here's another example: you're a high up noble, and are holding a great ball in order to garner allies. You are aware that a man is plotting to overthrow you violently by disguising soldiers as party guests and then having them attack you and kill you on his signal. But you, with your spies' forewarning, kidnap every single one of the rebel's soldiers as they attend the party, dress your men and women as them, and have your opponent reveal his plot to kill you in front of the entire party of nobles before showing him that his men are actually your own, thus leading to his arrest and destroying any chance at winning the Game. If he were a better player he would have had spies to tell him his opponent's plan, ALLOW you to kidnap his men, and then instead of attacking you openly, invite your guests to where you have trapped his actual guards in order to expose your barbarism, thus losing you the support of your nobles and hence all your power.

People also wear masks all the time at parties to hide your true emotions and any sign of weakness that could be exploited.

It's just a very complicated system of double, triple and quadruple crossing that is extremely dangerous to navigate, but simultaneously extremely rewarding. This is a picture from Bioware which I feel shows the feel of the Game accurately.

Alt text

guessing Game of Thrones is about the same concept: wars are oftenmost fought silently. Not really. A lot of deaths have occurred fo

• [removed]

• If he is, he'll have a crushed pelvis and be rotting in a cell, along with all the Freys' other high born captives. If they have any, that is.

Now for a girt big rant. This is something that annoyed me about the Red Wedding's portrayal in episode one (and to a lesser extent, the show, though there at least it's just a case of things not being dealt with due to time restraints). In the books, House Frey's forces aren't supposed to have killed everyone. It was a slaughter yes, but of commoners and lesser knights. The nobles that died were mostly members of Robb's personal guard. The majority present were taken captive, to be ransomed off at a later date, or held as hostages to keep their fathers, brothers, and kin compliant to House Bolton's rule in the North and House Frey's (falsely presumed) rule in the Riverlands. Which makes sense. The Red Wedding was supposed to be a finely planned and executed coup, not a senseless bloodbath.

• ...you said 'you're just gonna come to Telltale's threads and intelligently criticize and argue how Telltale Games is flawed in every single way possible...'

That pretty clearly implies that I often critises telltale, which I don't.

• You said you don't "remotely" say how "telltale is always flawed". I didn't say it: "criticize and argue how TTG is flawed in every single way possible.

I've marked those words because I meant: You would criticize in every way possible, not criticize on how TTG is flawed, in every single way possible. In the end Im not saying you say TTG is flawed in everything or its always flawed... No, Im saying you, when criticizing, finds a way of saying that TTG is flawed in different sorts of ways (i.e. -not exactly for you, they're examples - by being ironic, comic, pointing out writting, animating, etc, etc)

Happens that, in the way I wrote, one could easily understand wrongly... But one could as easily understand as I meant. Some would've written "criticize, in every single way possible, how TTG is flawed". I didn't, and that can't be such a problem. (Im not nitpicking you not understanding me...)

Your other two sentences could've been in any sort of reply... And the last it's a mind wandering thought, so I ignore xD...

...you said 'you're just gonna come to Telltale's threads and intelligently criticize and argue how Telltale Games is flawed in every single way possible...' That pretty clearly implies that I often critises telltale, which I don't.

• That can be an overlook, to think about it... Quite sad, indeed, that the writting team did it like a ~vengeful~ bloodbath. I had noticed it as well when playing it, and when Rodrik died I really felt something bad was coming with it (It's not that telltale to kill an important character in such a fast-paced, diminished scene like the way he died. I even tried remembering if that one was truly him, because Rodrik was feared by the Lannister army, and a man feared is always, without exception, worth more alive. Perhaps a Lannister would want to kill him (As Daven wanted to kill Robb for taking his father Stafford's life). And the Freys would have to do that favor for the lannisters... and even if they killed Lord Gregor, they would be really smart, for they would have the actual Lord of Ironrath being a wanted prisoner worth of good ramson or title. Because, it isn't really shown in a first look, but if pay attention one can realize the Red Wedding was a race for the lesser Frey members. To become greatful and honorable, like Black Walder, who seeks that more and better than any scummy Frey. Killing (with a horse :P) a wanted man does not makes you even half as what makes you of enprisioning him. Like Greatjon, who should not (and would not) be killed by no Frey there...

If he is, he'll have a crushed pelvis and be rotting in a cell, along with all the Freys' other high born captives. If they have any, that i

• Alt text

Can anyone make sense of what he's trying to say?

You said you don't "remotely" say how "telltale is always flawed". I didn't say it: "criticize and argue how TTG is flawed in every single w

• [removed]

Can anyone make sense of what he's trying to say?

• He thinks Gregor could still be alive, hahahaha

• I'm not, actually. I'm aware that there are high fantasy elements in the Song of Ice and Fire, but the story setting and the current universe setting is low magic. Their presence doesn't negate the statement that reality ensues often in the setting. Dragons are part of reality in the world of Westeros and Essos. If a footsoldier tries to play hero fighting one of Danaerys' dragons, he will die if he is caught in its fire. A horse fell on Rodrik. He is dead. For plot, I don't see him getting back up again, as Lingvort pointed out that there is a way that can happen.

Telltale will find all the voice actors they need for all the people they wrote lines of dialogue for.

True but you are forgetting the Others / White Walkers, Giants, Dragons, Children of the forest and DireWolves in that universe are fictiona

• Don't worry, Flog did the same with me - he takes me saying how it's a shame the majority of people on the forums have no previous experience with GoT and therefore cannot appreciate it to the same extent as others who have, as me having some sort of superiority complex.

(S)he twists words and misunderstands the simplest of things to prove their point.

• There is no possible way Rodrik can come back - we saw him get crushed.

But if Telltale are going to be Telltale, the only explainable way we can see him is captured and held hostage by the Frey's, and not suddenly turning up on the Forrester's doorstep.

• Leaving aside how likely Rodrik is to turn up again or not, I will note that "Iron Man" has a very specific in Westeros.

I think the Maester mentions at some point in "Iron From Ice" that the Iron Men killed his family, even.

• I hope your wrong Flog. I dońt want another "I got lucky" thing.

I'd bet 100% that Rodrik is alive. It is not as easily explainable as you make out though. War horses weigh 900kg. You can't just 'push t

• I don't think he's coming back after all the unfortunate incidents that happens to him one after another...does the guy even have a VA? Shame too, they kept talking about him in the intro, but when we meet him...dead.

• edited December 2014

Alt text

Shh kitten, with this person I was trying to understand her or his point but failed and so asked others to clarify what he or she meant (which no-one so far has). If you would do so to me I'd be most happy to respond.

You do seem riled though; I'll remind you I never said you have a superiority complex: that purring's all yours my love.

Echopapa posted: »

Don't worry, Flog did the same with me - he takes me saying how it's a shame the majority of people on the forums have no previous experienc

Sign in to comment in this discussion.