Realistic Explanation for the return of Rodrik

Rodrik returning isn't a realistic or the best option... but its likely. You don't really walk away from a horse falling on you with just a broken arm, so it got me thinking of how he could be brought back.

If he is brought back, my best guess is that the Brotherhood without Banners catch up with him, and their priest helps him. In the TV show, after Arya escapes from their group, we hear/see nothing of them (unlike the books, but thats a different story).

Who is the Brotherhood Without Banners?

The Brotherhood Without Banners is an outlaw group working against Lannister interests in the Riverlands at the time of the War of the Five Kings, though their goal is to protect the smallfolk from any force preying on them, regardless of which King or Lord they support. Following the Red Wedding, the Brotherhood Without Banners is one of the few surviving groups who still actively resist Lannister rule of the Seven Kingdoms.

Its completely likely that while the Brotherhood is searching for Arya, they arrive at the Red Wedding, where they find Rodrik and the priest brings upon the will of R'Hllor to help them, just like how he helps.

Priest? R'Hllor?

Thoros, is a Red Priest in the Brotherhood, but has resurrected their leader Beric Dondarrion a couple of times using the power of what he believes is to be their god, R'Hllor. In the show, we watch Beric get cut nearly in half by the Hound, yet moments later stands up because of the healing Thoros gives him.

Summary for those who are too lazy to read

Basically, a group called Brotherhood Without Banners could have come across Rodrik and revived him using what they believe to be the spirit of R'Hllor, which is the best likely option for them to bring him back. Their priest, Thoros, has done it before numerous times and the current whereabouts of the Brotherhood in the show is unknown, which is why its likely for them to bring them in.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Have to be very very delicate here...but this is unlikely due to a reason that will probably be revealed next season.

• I assume you are talking about the return of Catelyn? Well, to fit that in the show's story it would happen at the end of S4, whereas Rodrik's resurrection would happen at end of S3. Yes, they would to have very very veryc areful but it is the most realistic option to bring Rodrik back IMO.

K0t0 posted: »

Have to be very very delicate here...but this is unlikely due to a reason that will probably be revealed next season.

• K0t0K0t0 Banned
    edited December 2014

His death was pretty fast paced in comparison to most other deaths in this episode where character are run clean through. They could easily just try to justify him managing to survive a la Tyrion style.

Edit:

Oh and the first thing he'll say is "Wheres that asshole of a squire, I mean what the actual fuck? Im fighting three guys unprepared and the prick distracts me twice, what a prick"

• edited December 2014

Just look at the silhouette on the main menu of the game and look at Rodrik's codex entry.

Enough said; debate over.

Alt text

• I can confirm Rodrik will be back. PM for evidence.

• ....that doesn't solve the debate at all.

We all know he IS returning. We're wondering how on earth it's possible.

Just look at the silhouette on the main menu of the game and look at Rodrik's codex entry. Enough said; debate over.

• But the broken arm thing doesn't make sense. If he's resurrected then he should either have all his broken bones or none: him having a broken arm but no broken pelvis wouldn't make sense.

It's just going to be telltale ignoring science again.

• dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator
    edited December 2014

I'm looking at these shadows and I'm thinking back to when everyone freaked out over the shadows for TWD S2 episode 4 shadows, which plainly showed Eddie and he never turned up. Though this definitely seems a bit too similar to Rodrik.

Just look at the silhouette on the main menu of the game and look at Rodrik's codex entry. Enough said; debate over.

• In that case just rest assurred that he is 100% coming back.

• No, no, it can't be. Remember "Amid the Ruins" menu screen and Vince's silhouette? "I got lucky, real lucky, horse was plastic." No f***ing way!
    Telltale, prove you have learned something.

• "Nah, fuck it, he's returning. :P ", Said he who knows pretty well how much a war horse weights (me). (JK)

dojo32161 posted: »

I'm looking at these shadows and I'm thinking back to when everyone freaked out over the shadows for TWD S2 episode 4 shadows, which plainly showed Eddie and he never turned up. Though this definitely seems a bit too similar to Rodrik.

• I don't think Telltale is going for that kind of realism :P

Flog61 posted: »

But the broken arm thing doesn't make sense. If he's resurrected then he should either have all his broken bones or none: him having a broken arm but no broken pelvis wouldn't make sense. It's just going to be telltale ignoring science again.

• Maybe it was a....magic...horse? Well if he were to come back, I'd expect him to be crippled from his torso down. Not only that, but his leg should be messed up to since it was wounded in the fight before he was crushed.

• ....they've gone for that kind of realism before. E.g. ethan dies from being stabbed in the neck.

Green613 posted: »

I don't think Telltale is going for that kind of realism :P

• You see, now I was watching a youtube gameplay of this episode and you if pay attention, after you've met up with Lord Gregor and that fat lord, you three, or four with Bowen surviving, will be walking for a while until you cross with some Freys and Lord Gregor says "Find a weapon". Right when he says it the camera will be downing a bit to focus on the sword next to your feet. While the camera is slowly focusing down, a horse will rush past between your companions and the Frey thugs. That horse, of course (since its telltale ;)), has the same design as the one that crushed Rodrik apart, and, logically, made him a cripple (Yes, you all know, of course, that he'd be worse than Bran Stark - Most probably like Barry Lyndon's son in Kubrick's Barry Lyndon).

Okay now: Im laughing hard If we find out that he just scared the horse away and got up real badass. '-'

Yet It would be funny, I think most likely either some northmen or a smarter Frey than those that TTG showed us in that scene (smarter frey because those dudes there were really wildling mode, lacking some decent order) found him there and made the horse, who appeared to be dead (for me) but wasn't, run away.

The fat lord I forget the name said "Go my lord, etc etc" and went away. Now, he probably found out Rodrik with the ones that saved him and, if he had not been there, Rodrik would've been taken to the wedding as hostage and/or died from all the shit that happened to his misfortune. Funny thing is that people afirm he died from the horse fall, but, you see, he didn't just die instantly, by no logic he would. That's why I mention Kubrick's Barry Lyndon sequence where the horse falls upon Redmond Barry's son: The horse was "normal size" (which I assume it's similar to a war horse) and fell with its whole body upon the eight year old. The boy was treated as soon as possible and "survived" only for a couple of hours, even without feeling anything other than his fingers (...dramatic matters...) and then tragically died. It was like that the way it happened, right?

However, Rodrik is a grown man in size and weight, so I assume he won't be as fucked as the boy in the film was after the accident. He has to loose all control of the body... and that's all TTG's obligation with realism, right?

...Sorry to make it too long, I do have communications problems and writting laziness. My point is said, and I believe no one said it so I hope people can read my thoughts for the sake of that stupidly obvious writting choice for the plot made by telltale's "unpredictability" masters (dubbed "Rodrik Is Confirmed Alive" by the fans) not being as fool as we fear.

• edited December 2014

Yep, it wouldn't (make sense). But you know... Red Rhllor's art of ressurecting "fixes" everything "broken" in a person before his/her death. Beric was hanged brutally (broken neck, fixed); Beric had half his ribs ripped apart by Hound (fixed); and Catelyn was pretty much ruined in all ways possible, since she was dragged down the river by the strong current in that rainy night (it was rainy in the books at least, I just don't know in the show), after having her throat cut as well. Even though catelyn was healed of most of her mutilations, she wasn't capable of recovering her "ability to speak" (the throat cut) because (I assume) she wasn't brought back to life the same way Lord Beric was... she was brought with Beric's kiss. He gave "his life" to her - and he didn't have that much, so you see the connection.

But the broken arm thing doesn't make sense. If he's resurrected then he should either have all his broken bones or none: him having a broken arm but no broken pelvis wouldn't make sense. It's just going to be telltale ignoring science again.

• Except everyone knows that you're going to die from being stabbed in the neck, not everyone knows exactly which bones are going to break from a horse falling on you.

....they've gone for that kind of realism before. E.g. ethan dies from being stabbed in the neck.

• The debate isn't really whether or not he is coming back, its HOW he can. which is my explanation/theory

• Exactly my point. R'Hllor's resurrection doesn't have to be 100%, hence the broken arm.

• Well he may have been crushed by a horse, but at least it didn't go down like this:

Alt text

• People saw where it fell, and if people don't know that being crushed by that big a weight would crush those bones then they're pretty daft.

Except everyone knows that you're going to die from being stabbed in the neck, not everyone knows exactly which bones are going to break from a horse falling on you.

• He will have crushed bones.

I understand your need for realism but Flog...It's a world with fucking dragons, let the story play out, realism or not.

People saw where it fell, and if people don't know that being crushed by that big a weight would crush those bones then they're pretty daft.

• I'm not saying he won't have crushed bones, I'm sure he will. But it looks like what you want Telltale to go for is literally exact realism, where specific bones will be broken. You even said yourself that if he came out with a broken arm instead of a broken pelvis it wouldn't make sense, maybe it won't to you because you most likely have an extensive knowledge on that subject but some others who don't have much knowledge on that won't notice it at all.

People saw where it fell, and if people don't know that being crushed by that big a weight would crush those bones then they're pretty daft.

• Haven't you people learned that silhouettes mean nothing? They are place holders. Ex: TWD s2 ep4 slide.

• The silhouette theory was true for Asher.

Haven't you people learned that silhouettes mean nothing? They are place holders. Ex: TWD s2 ep4 slide.

• Surviving a horse toppling over on you whilst wearing armor is believable imo. People throughout history have survived much worse.

• the weight doesnt stay on him either (not that it should matter) it looked like the dumb animal just fell over, it probably got up and ran off like the demented sub-creature it is

Surviving a horse toppling over on you whilst wearing armor is believable imo. People throughout history have survived much worse.

• Difference is Asher wasn't crushed by a horse and everyone pretty much knew he'd be a protagonist.

The silhouette theory was true for Asher.

• I'm right. You'll see.

Difference is Asher wasn't crushed by a horse and everyone pretty much knew he'd be a protagonist.

• featuring my mspaint skills

Alt text

• edited December 2014

He'll have a broken arm after 900kg fell on his legs and pelvis.

It makes no sense.

Also, the argument that the game needn't be realistic because of dragons is ridiculous. There is still a base level of science in game of thrones.

For example, gravity exists.

He will have crushed bones. I understand your need for realism but Flog...It's a world with fucking dragons, let the story play out, realism or not.

• In the same way that if Ethan bled from his wrists instead of his neck after being stabbed there wouldn't make sense, or if Kenny's foot was wounded after being beaten in the eye.

We SAW the horse fall on his pelvis; no extensive knowledge is needed to see that.

I'm not saying he won't have crushed bones, I'm sure he will. But it looks like what you want Telltale to go for is literally exact realism,

• Armour withstands 900kg?

Really?

I'll take your word for it, I assume you're running on superior knowledge. I know that people do die from having horses fall on them, but I'll defer to your judgement.

Surviving a horse toppling over on you whilst wearing armor is believable imo. People throughout history have survived much worse.

• edited December 2014

I also know that people have survived horses falling on them, although it is by no means an easy thing. While it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility, if Rodrik did survive that horse falling on him he better have some serious injuries to show for it.

Armour withstands 900kg? Really? I'll take your word for it, I assume you're running on superior knowledge. I know that people do die from having horses fall on them, but I'll defer to your judgement.

• edited December 2014

He gets a broken arm and facial scarring.

I also know that people have survived horses falling on them, although it is by no means an easy thing. While it's not entirely out of the r

• Well if he does Im not happy about it sounds a bit daft. However it may not the game hasnt been finished yet

• Considering a horse fell on him I think he might be alive but crippled from the waist down. That means they still need Asher back. Rodrik can be the lord, Asher can be the sword.

• Alt text

YO. Rodrick Stoneheart is being pushed for SUMMERSLAM.

• edited December 2014

Maybe we'll just play Rodrick in a flashback similarly to what happened in Tales from the Borderlands?

Even in the books, not all the characters' stories are played chronologically.

The broken arm and scares may just be a red herring to throw us off.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.