Do choices matter? Telltale advertises this as a selling point, but isn't it false advertising?

13»

Comments

• edited February 2015

[removed]

StrawHuman posted: »

'TWaU had you go to the same places regardless of where you went first.' Same place different scenes. 'Yet that is your example of a legitim

• You refused to acknowledge the implications of your own words. When I explained them to you the only response you had was bizarre ravings about assumptions. So no I don't have much reason to believe you actually know what a assumption is. In fact I have several posts worth of reasons to think the opposite.

Also it's been two months since I last made a post in this thread. I am not sure why you had to come back and make this weirdly arrogant post.

• edited February 2015

You have no right to call anyone arrogant. You are the epitome of arrogance, smugness and all around snobbishness. Which is a dangerous combination with that stunted IQ.

Regardless, it seems like you still want to goad me into cursing you out or something. Take the flame-bait elsewhere child. If you were half as mature as you pretend to be, you wouldn't have even bothered with a response that came two months late. Cut the act. XD

StrawHuman posted: »

You refused to acknowledge the implications of your own words. When I explained them to you the only response you had was bizarre ravings ab

• edited February 2015

Guys, just give it a rest and let this thread die already. This thread is asking for nothing but trouble, which you two proved.

You have no right to call anyone arrogant. You are the epitome of arrogance, smugness and all around snobbishness. Which is a dangerous com

• Hey, I know you. You're all over the steam forums. All you do is hate on Telltale.

Anyway. I do agree that some of the choices don't matter. But there are also some choices that do.

• People felt a need to revive this?

Yawn

• I wonder if they're gonna actually allow us to screw up so badly that we end the Forrester lineage.

Would they go that far with the consequences of our actions? Or do you guys think it will all end the same? Forresters win no matter what?

• Well the Forresters are in the books, well the house is at least.

Pride posted: »

I wonder if they're gonna actually allow us to screw up so badly that we end the Forrester lineage. Would they go that far with the consequences of our actions? Or do you guys think it will all end the same? Forresters win no matter what?

• The wiki says it's a one time mention in one single line.

Well the Forresters are in the books, well the house is at least.

• It is there though.

The wiki says it's a one time mention in one single line.

• It'd be interesting to see a non canon ending where if you fuck everything up everyone just gets massacred by Whitehills... but it ends with the 'Valar Morghulis' line as if you failed a QTE. Then it reloads from the 'fuck up' point. You'd have to do something really specific and out-of-the-way to get it, though.

I wonder if they're gonna actually allow us to screw up so badly that we end the Forrester lineage. Would they go that far with the consequences of our actions? Or do you guys think it will all end the same? Forresters win no matter what?

• If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it's a duck.

I think people are using episodic releases like it's some sort of excuse when we all know the reason why Telltale doesn't create the content ahead of time is because they are too cheap.

Maybe, if they spent less on IP's and more on building the content ahead of time they would be able to create a better flushed out fluid story then again they'd also have to create content interesting enough to stand on it's own.

KCohere posted: »

I agree with you, the "lazy" comments irk me too, when most people have no clue what's involved with producing these games. It's just disrespectful IMO.

• Actually Telltale games remind me a lot of Gak growing up. I could mold it but I could never get it to set. It would always retain the original shape the manufacturer intended.

Also, with all due respect I'm not sure what your failed amateur project has to do with anything. Telltale is a professional game studio and more importantly their software isn't freeware. If they are promising choice and that your decisions matter in advertisements then they should deliver on that. If they can't or won't then don't promise it.

Though, I would like to point out a ton of JPRPG games get released with much more content on a shoe string budget. It's more about getting the Ip so they can draw interest and getting the content out there ASAP so they can collect on season passes.

HarjKS posted: »

Okay let me explain something to you from a guy who tried to make a Text Based Adventure Game, with decisions. No graphics, voice actors, no

• Choices matter...choices don't matter... The only thing that doesn't matter here is whether choices matter or not. The games are freakin amazing people. Why are you letting your experience get downplayed by something that didn't even happen in your game.

• Or maybe they could you know build some of the content ahead of time so that they can create a flushed out fluid story with a reasonable release schedule. You know kind of like when they take our money ahead of time for season passes even though most/all episodes haven't been released yet. Nah, it's much easier to take the money ahead of time. Heck, if worst comes to worst their suckers -- I mean defenders -- will come to the rescue and make excuses for it and blame it on the games being built on demand ignoring the entire reason for this is telltales benefit.

Oooooh yes. It's a shitton of work. If you wanted Telltale to make games were your choices matter really much, then expect a Episode every half a year at best.

• edited February 2015

With all due respect they aren't presented as such. The game doesn't ask the user "hey what shoes do you want to wear today?" they present their choices as story altering when in fact they are not.

Some people are fine with that as long as it gets tied into the storyline. Personally, I'm getting sick and tired of it. It particularly seems to faill apart in game of thrones because you've made all these choices but the story really hasn't reflected any of the consequences of those choices at all.

Your choices do matter, just on a smaller scale than you imagine.

• I think the fact that the game themselves are good and have good storylines is not at all a point of contention. I make that much clear above.

What is in contention here is whether or not Telltale are lying through their teeth with regards to the choice-consequence element of the game. I think it warrants a serious discussion and shouldn't be brushed aside, especially since they position it as one of the main selling points of their games.

Choices matter...choices don't matter... The only thing that doesn't matter here is whether choices matter or not. The games are freakin ama

• edited February 2015

눈_눈 I think we get the picture...

I'll just say this; the key word is "tailored" not "changes". It's like your hair, you go to a barber to get a haircut to shorten, then later on it will go back to being long again. You may alter the subject but over time it will go back to normal.

Sayonara.

• It isn't about how hard writing a story is, it is the fact that the game says it is tailored to our decisions when it really isn't. Our choices don't matter. No matter what chose Malcom goes to get Asher, Ethan dies, Britt tries to kill you at the wall and you get sentenced to death regardless of whether you left him or not, you can choose to protect the girl or Malcom on your way to Mereen but both survive regardless. Anything Story related does not matter. Sure there are little changes but saying that your choices mattered is like saying your choices in Mass Effect 3 changed the endings. Fact is if your choices truly mattered there would be big changes in the game. This game is great because it has a great story but it is basically just a movie/show with a bit of interactive bits. I wouldn't really consider it much of a game at all since the entire premise is watching with dialogue choices.

Rob_K posted: »

You try writing a story where one choice makes the story split into two and then those two split into more different stories, while having 4

• Why must you bump this?

• edited July 2015

Seriosly, Why did you revive this thread?.

• I'm fine with a single linear story. Just make major decisions end in one of two things: game over or progression. And make the game over scene really badass. The highlight of the series so far, for me, was ordering the archer dude to kill Whitehill. Yes, it's a game over, but at least you made something happen.

• Holy fuck did Telltale get the "attack" idea from you? ;)

JakeSt123 posted: »

It'd be interesting to see a non canon ending where if you fuck everything up everyone just gets massacred by Whitehills... but it ends with

• Thoughts on what you think will happen in ep5 and 6? :O

JakeSt123 posted: »

It'd be interesting to see a non canon ending where if you fuck everything up everyone just gets massacred by Whitehills... but it ends with

• Yes. The choices do matter in minor details and in player responsibility.

• The only way it would be possible for the choices to directly effect the games overall story arc there would have to major changes to the way they made games. Or if they suddenly had 1000+ employees (they only have around 300 i think?)

Instead of developing two titles at once theyd most likely need to cut it down it one due to complexity of what you're asking.

One team would be working on "the walking dead season 3 version one" and another team would be working on "the walking dead season 3 version two" instead of say one team working on "game of thrones" and another team working on "tales from the borderlands".

• edited July 2015

OH MY FUCKING GOD HOLY SHIT

Wigams posted: »

Holy fuck did Telltale get the "attack" idea from you?

• edited July 2015

I cant say that all choices doesnt matter,but...in ep3 with Mira you can stay with Margaery or join Tyrion for a small talk.In my 2 different play I saw that it doesnt matter :if you go with him, Lady Margaery would say that you wasnt doing what she said(avoid Tyrion);if you stay with her,she would get mad ,when she hears about decree.Sorry ,this is just my opinion.Also I am pretty sure that in all TTG games were a lot of decissions,that realy mattered.
    P.S.Sorry for my bad english, i m not native speeker

greetingsfromlithuania

• They aren't doing it for free out of the goodness of their hearts. It's a business. When you pay for a meal at a restaurant you that doesn't meet the promised quality the cook can't just say "you have no clue what goes into the producing of that meal. It's disrespectful."

These games are not a gift, they are a business transaction. If the seller offers more than they can produce the buyer has every right to call them on it.

KCohere posted: »

I agree with you, the "lazy" comments irk me too, when most people have no clue what's involved with producing these games. It's just disrespectful IMO.

• Sending Telltale to court is just plain stupid. Stop being a idiot and stop buying their game. I dont see many being mad about this - and yes choices matter.

• The poster is banned and this thread was created back in December. Not much point telling them to stop being an idiot. ;)

On that note, said in general, perhaps people could stop bumping this? 1) User is banned and this thread is months old. It wouldn't be visible if someone hadn't bumped it. 2) This topic is old in the sense that it's been discussed to death and no ground is ever gained by either side, so it's a pointless discussion.

Ethan_Neck posted: »

Sending Telltale to court is just plain stupid. Stop being a idiot and stop buying their game. I dont see many being mad about this - and yes choices matter.

• Luckly I wasn't the one to bump it.

Rob_K posted: »

The poster is banned and this thread was created back in December. Not much point telling them to stop being an idiot. On that note, sai

Sign in to comment in this discussion.