Forum of Thrones: An Interactive Story

Comments

• [Fight at the front lines with Lord Crakehall]

[Stay silent, as Wolfius requested]

• Very exciting chapter! Wolfius working for Hoares? Hmmm......

[Fight at the frontlines] This was a hard decision...

[Stay silent] No more messing with Wolfius, didn't end up well the last time :D

Willfred Willfred backed against the wooden wall of the small farmhouse, holding his greatsword with both hands, breathing heavily in exc

• MadManLeeMadManLee Banned
    edited February 2015

Inform the city guard of lyria suspicious behaviour

Stay back with general Tallian

Willfred Willfred backed against the wooden wall of the small farmhouse, holding his greatsword with both hands, breathing heavily in exc

• The Voting is closed!

Willfred will fight at the frontlines with Lord Crakehall

Lyria will inform the city guard about Wolfius

Sorry for keeping you all waiting a bit longer than usual. I got very busy the last days, so the new part is only roughly halfway written. However, I am very positive that it should be finished today.

• edited February 2015

Torvin

It wasn't even noon and a dozen men had already died in Harrenhal today. The last of the great towers was almost finished, but in the early morning a block of stone that was supposed to be placed in the higher areas of the tower went flying several floors down and crushed seven thralls. Three more had been beheaded two hours later, for trying to run away. And as Torvin walked across the courtyard, a violent fight between two Ironborn ended with both dead. Gabin waited at the other end of the courtyard, next to the unassuming door that lead to Harrenhals dungeon. The young man seemed to be slightly nervous. His brown eyes looked carefully at Torvin as he walked closer and he only gave him a short nod as a greeting. Gabin took probably the biggest risk out of all of them. While Torvin and Garthon would have been simply executed as traitors should their plans become public, Gabin would have been violently tortured. George and Lord Tully were relatively safe, due to Tullys standing as one of the most influential riverlords. He could get away with it. But Gabin was no captain, which would prevent Hoare from using the most brutal tortures on him and neither had he a powerful lord watching over him. During the past week, Torvin had tried to find out more about his ally, why he wanted to see the king dead, why he ended up helping Lord Tully. But Gabin had blocked every attempt to talk about this matter. Instead, he spent his days mainly around Harlan Hoare, trying to influence him into meeting Torvin. Gabin had praised him highly, constantly emphasizing his lust for blood and cruelty. And finally, Harlan had shown interest in meeting him. Torvin couldn't exactly say that he was looking forward for it. The only thing that came as a relief was, that Harlan wasn't like his brothers. Torvin had never met them, but the stories he heard about them have been enough to give him an uncomfortable feeling.

“Are you ready to meet Harlan?”, Gabin asked as he stood next to him. “How can anyone be ever ready for that?”, Torvin answered with a slight smirk. Gabin did not smirk back, instead he just shook his head. “Don't ruin this, Torvin. We have this one try to impress Harlan”, he urged, before opening the door to the dungeon. “He went here a few hours ago. Spends some time with the prisoners. He's probably the only person who gets along with this torturer”

In silence, the two moved down the narrow staircase that lead down to Harrenhals dungeons. Like everything in this monstrosity of a castle, the dungeons were larger than anywhere else in Westeros. Theoretically, the dungeons were able to hold several thousand prisoners. Right now, only a few dozen were actually imprisoned here. The vast emptiness, filled only with muffled moans of desperate people, slowly descending into madness in the huge dark underground that was the dungeon, with their only company being the thoughts of what might linger in the dark, was probably the worst thing about these cells. Gabin had to light a torch so that they could see anything. The dimmed light illuminated raw stone walls, empty hallways, blank cells and a few dead bodies, starved to death or, in one particularly gruesome case, apparently eaten alive by rats. Torvin and Gabin passed a prisoner who was chained to the wall, the skin on his back hanging down like a loose coat. The man raised his head and instead of eyes, he looked in Torvins direction with empty, bloody holes. “Please, please, no more, I can't take anymore! I confess! I confess everything! Don't go away!”, the man screamed and Torvin had to look away. The next cell held another prisoner, a young man with thin blond hair, who sat on the floor, his face distorted by madness. As he saw Torvin pass he raised his hands and Torvin noticed that several fingers were missing. “He was cutting... I told him everything... But he continued cutting...”, the man whispered.

Torvin continued looking over his shoulder even after merciful darkness overlayed the mutilated prisoner. “I hate this idea”, he mumbled. Gabin gave him a stern nod. “I am afraid there is no other way. But Harlan isn't that bad, for a Hoare. What you've seen there was the work of the torturer. Harlan isn't creative enough for this”, he explained. Torvin gulped. It told him a great deal about the Hoare family that 'Not creative' counted as a positive trait. In his opinion at least the King could be dangerously cunning, able to use the almost corporeal aura of dread that surrounded him in his favour. Luckily for the Riverlands, his sons weren't nearly as cunning. Harlan Hoare was an aspiring torturer, but far from being the worst of the bunch. This dubious honour would probably go to Harmund Hoare, the king's eldest son and heir, a serial rapist and occasional killer, who left a bloody trail in the Riverlands. Harren Hoare was a monster, but at least he knew how to maintain order. Any of his sons would be worse than he ever was. Should their plan have any chance of succeeding, they also needed to dispose of Harrens sons.

Gabin pointed at an open door. The room behind it seemed to be brightly illuminated. A thump, followed by a shrill, high-pitched scream and rough laughter rang out as Torvin and Gabin stepped closer. This time, even Gabin flinched. “Gods, I always hate it when they do stuff like this...”, he mumbled. Torvin couldn't contain an angry look. Gabin hated it? Whoever was about to be tortured in this room probably hated it more! And Torvin... Torvin despised torture like this. He had nothing against taking defeated enemies as thralls and captured women as salt wives. He had nothing against whipping them from time to time, he had nothing against beating them to death if they defy his orders. But torture just for the love of bringing pain? That wasn't right. Even while being on a raid, even while committing acts that caused him nightmares from time to tome, Torvin only followed the traditions of the Ironborn, the laws of the Drowned God. His strength gave him the right to take what he wanted. But there was no law that ordered him to be cruel, that ordered him to be sadistic. This separated him from these animals...

Gabin entered the room and even though Torvin couldn't see his face, he saw him slightly wincing. “Seven have mercy...”, he whispered. A rough voice, the voice of a Hoare, started to laugh. “Your seven can go fuck themselves. This bitch asked for it!” A man stepped out of the room, patting Gabin on the shoulder. “I am glad you're here, my friend. And... your friend is?”, he said. Gabin gave him a disgusted smile. “Captain Breaker. I told you about him, remember?”, he explained

“Torvin Breaker!”, the man exclaimed with a slight smile. He was tall, not the tallest man Torvin had ever seen, but still impressive, with a broad chest and long black hair. The looks already gave him away, but the eyes told Torvin without a doubt that he was talking to a Hoare. They were deep dark pools without any compassion in them, hints of the unbelievable brutality inside. Yet still, Harlan Hoare was the second best of Harrens sons, not even close to be the biggest monster in his family. His smile wasn't as cruel as the kings, his eyes slightly less bloodthirsty. Still, the bloody cleaver in his hands proved that he was in no way a good man. That wasn't animal blood...

“It is great to meet you!”, Harlan said while patting him on the shoulder. “Gabin told me a great deal about you”, he said while gently pushing Torvin inside the room, a small, stinking chamber, the floor smeared with blood. Torvin noticed two things. First, there was another man in the room. It was a fat man, a bit shorter than him, with a sparse beard on his neck but a clean-shaven face. This man was probably one of the ugliest people Torvin had ever seen. His wart-filled face with a noticeable harelip stood in stark contrast to genuinely handsome blue eyes.

The second thing he noticed was a dying, middle-aged woman, lying on a table in the centre of the room. Her left leg was missing, slightly below the hip and she was thankfully unconscious, slowly bleeding out, slowly dying. Noticing Torvins shocked gaze, the hideous man started to chuckle. “Trust me, she asked for it...”, he hissed, while taking a few steps closer. Torvin noticed he was limping heavily. “You are the Breaker, right? Interesting...”

Torvin nodded. “Torvin Breaker. But I don't think I got your name...”, he said. Harlan walked next to him and smiled. “You don't even need to know his name. He is the undisputed ruler in this wonderful dungeon. Holt Torv, Harrenhals master torturer and executioner. This man is the meanest bastard in the kingdom”, he said as if he was giving a compliment. The torturer's smile faded and Harlan chuckled. “I've heard a great deal about you, Torvin Breaker. Gabin told me about that... thing you did at the Stepstones and I have to say, I am impressed. I said 'Gabin', I said 'I have to meet this crazy fucker'. Holt here wasn't sure if some of that stuff is even possible, at least until now. You might wanna recreate that...”, he said with a disturbing enthusiasm while pointing at showing Torvin a multitude of different knives, pliers, hacksaws and a small hatchet. Torvin gave Gabin a disgusted and outright horrified look. True, he had killed a good number of people. He had no mercy, not even for women or children. But this... this was something else entirely. Harlan Hoare grabbed one of the knives with a downright repugnant smile on his face. The second best of Harren Hoares sons...

As he noticed Torvin's facial expression, Harlan slammed his fist onto the table. “I am bullshitting you, Breaker”, he said and his smile faded. “I know Gabin is lying. I know what you've planned”, he hissed. Torvin noticed that he was breathing heavily. As he looked at the torturer, he almost had to close his eyes. Harlan took a step closer, pointing the knife at Torvins chest. “I know you are not happy with your situation. I know you want to rebuild your family. And I know you are not a friend of my father”, he hissed, leaving Torvin with the desire to run away, before his smile returned. “But, do you know what? That is alright. As a matter of fact, my father is a narrow-minded pisshead. I am willing to give you a chance. You want to be my friend? Well, being my friend has benefits, as Gabin can confirm. And it isn't hard. You just have to prove me that you are like me...”, he said. Being like him? How could anyone ever be like him? Torvin looked at Gabin. What had he done to win Harlan Hoares friendship? Gabin seemed to be a good man, a man with morals. Why was he willing to go that far?

Harlans gaze hardened. “Me and Holt, we want to do some stuff today. There are some prisoners who really need to confess. Some of them still have fingers and teeth and I think we both agree that this is not supposed to stay like that. You can give us a hand. Figuratively speaking, of course. Or, if you're too weak for that, you can meet me in the evening. My brother Harmund should be here by then and we plan on taking a trip into the Riverlands to celebrate his arrival at Harrenhal. Meeting some local girls, you know. You're gonna love Harmund, I guarantee...”, he explained. Torvin looked over at Gabin, who avoided his stare. This did not go as planned. He did not like it...

[Stay with Harlan and Holt in the dungeons] [Accompany Harlan and Harmund into the Riverlands] [Back out]

John

He opened his eye. Who was he? Now... that was easy. John Gutten. Good. The first step. Where was he? He tried to look up, but the massive headache prevented it. Instead he looked at a soft pillow below his head. Ah... the Hammered Harp... Aylard's Inn... He reached out his hand until he touched soft, warm flesh. Now that was a mightily fine arse... Could be Cass, but to be sure, Gutten had to turn his head... Yes, it was Cass. She was still sleeping and Gutten did his best not to wake her. Poor girl probably hadn't had much sleep last night. It was morning now from what he could tell. As silent as it was possible for him with his headache, Gutten stood up and looked for his trousers. It didn't took him long and he was almost fully dressed, with his black trousers and a simple white shirt. Cass was still asleep. Gutten smiled for a short moment, before his bad mood caught up to him, combined with a terrible headache. What happened last night? There was... yes, he met Lucas. They had talked, but Gutten had been too drunken to actually remember the finer details of the conversation. Still, it was nice to know that the boy was fine. With an uncomfortable feeling, Gutten went to his door and left the room, leaving Cass a few more hours of sleeping.

With shaky feet, John entered the inn's main room. He was greeted by Janae, who sat on a table for herself, eating a cold meal of bread, cheese and a hard-boiled egg. Her face was stern and she only gave him a short nod. John smiled at her, his bad mood immediately gone. “Good morning, my maiden fair”, he chuckled and she gave him a cold glare. “We have a problem, John”, she remarked while looking at the door to the kitchen. An old woman walked out of the door. Gunel. Gutten sighed. Gunel was a former whore, but it was hard to believe that she was ever successful in this profession. She was hideous and the worst part was, that she reminded him of his own mother, back in his childhood days on the isle of Orkmont. He knew, she and Aylard were good friends, but Gutten hated her. A feeling that seemed to be mutual.

As he looked at her, she gave him a cold smile. “You are in trouble, John Gutten”, she said. “Your girl, Samantha, she is trying to calm him down. He wanted to smash your head in after he found out” Gutten looked at Janae who raised an eyebrow. “Don't look at me like that, John”, she scoffed. “It is not my fault this time. Lucas screwed up big time”, she remarked. John looked from her to Gunel. “Lucas? What exactly...”, he started to say, but was interrupted by someone walking down the stairs into the main-room. It was Temari, propped by Behara. The mercenaries face was badly swollen, his nose broken badly broken and he could hardly walk without his sister's aid. Gutten jumped up, furiously looking at Gunel. “That was Aylard, right? I swear to the old gods and the new, I...”, he shouted, but was again interrupted when Janae grabbed him by the arm. “Calm down, my bear”, she spoke. Gunel shook his head. “That was the friend of your young knight. The handsome one”, she explained. Gutten looked at Temari who avoided his stare. “He tried to touch my sister”, the mercenary mumbled. Behara sighed and shook her head, barely visible. Gutten felt rage inside of him. He was passed out for a few short hours and Lucas fucked something up, while some asshole almost killed Temari! He took a step closer towards Gunel, who still smiled and grabbed her by the shoulders. “Stop giving me that smile, whore!”, he growled. “You're going to tell me what's going on here, now!”

Gunel's smile stopped. “Careful now, John. You do anything rash and Aylard will have your head on a spike”, she hissed, to which Gutten only laughed. “He can try. Listen, I am in no mood to argue with you. You're going to tell me what's happening here, now!”, he growled.

He looked up again as the kitchen door was opened once more. Aylard Kawl walked out of the room, his son Sawyer with him. The boy was crying and Aylard was visibly shaken too. Behind them, a quiet, calm and almost concerned looking Samantha followed. The innkeepers face was hard as stone, but John saw tears in the man's eyes. What exactly happened? “You...”, Aylard growled. “This is all your fucking fault”

John shook his head and stepped back as Aylard continued to walk closer to him. The innkeeper's fists were clenched and Gutten did not want to provoke a fight, especially since he wouldn't win with his current hangover. Not against a strong man as Aylard. “Calm down...”, he commanded, while looking at Janae for help. “Aylard calm down and tell me what happened”

The innkeeper gave him a furious glare. “What happened? You want to know what happened? This asshole knight abducted my daughter, that happened!”, he shouted. At that point, John lost it. Lucas abduction Lunett Kawl? He could have believed that the other knight would do such a thing, but Lucas? He wouldn't do this, unless... he looked at Janae who likely came to the same conclusion hours ago. “She wanted it”, Gutten said. “She wanted to come with him”

If looks could kill, John would have dropped dead. Aylards stare was furious enough to make Gutten flinch. “She is my daughter! She would never do this”, he shouted, but sounded like a man trying to convince himself of a lie. Gutten knew men like that. He did it for all his life himself. “She would never do this...”, Aylard mumbled again, this time he had tears in his eyes. “You have to bring her back”

Gutten looked at Janae who shook her head. And he agreed with her. He liked Lucas. Despite his young years, he was an experienced fighter and a good friend. But he wasn't part of his men anymore. Gutten wasn't obliged to do this. He had nothing against Aylard, he was even able to relate to him. But this was not his fault and definitely not his problem! He had more important things to do. “I don't think we have to do anything, Aylard”, he answered. The innkeeper looked thoroughly shocked. “Wait... so... after I'm housing you and your people for over a week, you just leave me like this?”, he stuttered, before his white face turned red again. “Fuck you, Gutten! I can pay you if that is what you want!”, he grumbled. Payment? Now the things looked slightly different. This was not his problem, but he was still a mercenary. With the right amount of money, every problem became his. Except... even if he wanted to help, he was still in a contract already. As soon as Jaro and I'Lian would catch up to them, they were obliged to travel to Raylansfair.

But Gutten was proud that he was no cold-hearted bastard. He tried his best to look sad as he answered. “I am sorry, Aylard. I know that must be hard for you. But I can't help you. No matter how much you're paying. The Gutters are in a contract”, he explained. Aylard threw his hands in the sky and shook his head in disbelief. “So, first you come here and I let you stay despite your manners. Then you boy screws up and kidnaps my daughter... And now you're refusing to help me? You owe me that much, Gutten!”, he explained, his voice now loud and shouting. His son started to cry again, which caused Gunel to softly hug him.

Gutten took a step closer. He was a bit taller than Aylard and the innkeeper's active time as a soldier ended a few years back. He was a bit out of shape. He wasn't weak, but he was no match for Gutten when he was angry. “I owe you nothing, Aylard...”, John said as calm as possible.

A slight cough made him look up. Samantha looked at him, her face sorrowful. “I would go...”, she mumbled. “I would do it. Without payment, if you allow it. I am the best rider among the Gutters. I can catch up to them, maybe even before they reach Oldtown. I can find her and I can bring her back in no time. Only if you allow it of course”, she said. John raised an eyebrow, to which she gave him a slight shrug. “Family is important”, she simply explained. Gutten looked at her, unsure how he should react. She was part of the group, part of the contract and a damn good fighter. He could use her in Raylansfair. On the other hand, she could catch up to him again. And it looked like something she really wanted to do...

[Allow her to go after Lucas] [Don't allow it]

• [Stay with Harlan and Holt in the dungeons] Gaining trust throw torture

[Don't allow it] Samantha , DON´T

Awesome Chapter!!!

Torvin It wasn't even noon and a dozen men had already died in Harrenhal today. The last of the great towers was almost finished, but in

• [stay with Harlan and Holt in the dungeons]
    [allow her to go after lucas]

Torvin It wasn't even noon and a dozen men had already died in Harrenhal today. The last of the great towers was almost finished, but in

• Great!

[Stay with Harlan and Holt in the dungeons] No backing out and I think this is safer option than hanging out with two Hoares.

[Allow her to go after Lucas] I don't see why Gutten wouldn't let her go. Plus it could be interesting addition to Lucas'and Lenny's storyline :D

• [stay with Harlan and Holt]

[Allow her]

• (Stay)

(Dont allow her)

• Stay with Harlan and Holt in the dungeons

Don't Allow It

• [Stay with Harlan and Holt in the dungeons]

[Allow her to go after Lucas]

Great chapter!

• Accompany Harland and Holt in the Riverlands

Don't allow her

• InGen_Nate_KennyInGen_Nate_Kenny Moderator
    edited February 2015

[Back out]

I can't decide on this. Samantha could do so many things to Leonard and Lucas.

I mean, she might negotiate some 'things' with Leonard seeing how she hit on him , but she can kill them.

• [Don't allow it]

[Follow Harlan and Harmund into the Riverlands]

[Don't allow it]

• [Accompany Harlan and Harmund into the Riverlands] Fuck this shit, I have no idea what I should do!

[Don't allow it] I have a feeling that it won't end good.

• Gustav_KennyGustav_Kenny Banned
    edited February 2015

[Accompany Harlan and Harmund into the Riverlands]

[Don't allow it]

• edited February 2015

[Stay with Harlan and Holt in the dungeons]

Love it!

• [Accompany Harlan and Harmund into the Riverlands]

[Don't allow it]

• edited February 2015

The Voting is closed!

Torvin will stay with Harlan and Holt in the dungeons

The next Torvin chapter... well, it will be hard to write. I will try my best, but I don't exactly feel comfortable when writing the really gory stuff. I can't say how it will turn out and I hope it won't be too badly written. Of course, I hope you'll like it either way :)

And, despite torturing people for fun, Harlan Hoare is indeed the second best of the Hoare brothers. Let that sink in for a moment...

Gutten won't allow Samantha to go after Lucas and Leonard

Yeah... this is going to have some consequences too. Despite what I originally thought, it won't affect the overall plot on a larger scale, but you just saved one character from certain death, while maybe dooming another. You'll see the effect of this choice in upcoming parts.

The new chapter is halfway written and should be up later today!

And now, for something completely different. Prepare for a long announcement that won't affect the story. Still, I'd like you to read this:

Among the regular voters, I see many people who are active in other fanfictions as well. The amazing supersagig deserves special mention for being in every story! However, I also see a lot of new faces, people I haven't interacted with before this story started. And this is absolutely great! You're all awesome and I want to thank you for reading!

However, I also noticed something, I at least find a bit unfair. My story is in the very visible Game of Thrones section and since the mods definitely know about it, I guess it stays here for a reason. Two reasons actually: Being the only story in this section of the forum and being undeniably about Game of Thrones. There are plenty of other fanfictions around here, many of them are scientifically proven to be better than mine. Yet, my story is already at 170 characters, 18 pages of comments and over 16K views, with more than 10 voters being expected every part, while other stories are in the Forum Games section, affectionately called the 'Forum Graveyard'. Get what I'm saying?

Some of these writers struggle to get enough characters to start, struggle to get enough voters, get little to no feedback about their amazing writing. As a fellow writer, I'd like to use the massive popularity of this topic to help them out a bit. Some of my readers have stories of their own, like SuperChocoLatte, who writes several legitimately awesome stories, or TWD_25, who managed to give me a genuine emotional reaction after reading the finale of Season 1 of her Walking Dead story.

You still with me, my friends? Good. I know, it's a long post for what I want to say, but trust me, it'll be worth your time.

What I'd like to do won't be real advertising, since I figure that the mods won't like that (Note to mods: If you don't like my solution either, let me know and I will stop immediately). Instead I would like to give you a recommendation of a truly great fanfiction on this forum that deserves more readers, voters, characters, more whatever. It's basically a shout-out, if you want. Everytime I close the voting, I will tell you about another story, the author and what it basically is about, together with a link to said fanfiction. If you are interested in more interactive stories by awesome people, I would recommend you checking them out. Since my story is the only Game of Thrones Fanfiction that is still active, my shout-outs will include stories about different topics, however. Examples are SuperChocolattes outstanding Borderlands story, or Saltlick123's Jurassic Park fanfiction.

If you don't like to read other stories, that's fine. It will most likely mean that your characters will die a horrible death soon, but it's fine. Sorry, that was a terrible joke... Of course some of your characters won't die horribly (yet, remember that this is still Game of Thrones). I just figured that maybe some of you don't even know about the other stories here and could be interested.

You still with me? You want to check out another story? Great. If not... well, that's fine too and I'm okay with it. It's only something I recommend, if you like this kind of interactive storytelling in general. If you are a writer and don't want a shout-out, let me know.

And now, prepare for the first story:

The Fallen World, by the awesome @TheKingOfWalkers

King actually gave me this idea, so he gets the first shout-out. His story is of epic proportions, one of the longest-running stories here and it is very well-written. Actually, King was one of the persons who inspired me to write a story of my own. Recently, he started with the third Season of his story, but you can comfortably catch up with it, since he uploaded all parts on Google Docs. The story is set in the Walking Dead Universe and, in my opinion, could use a few more voters. Character submission is always open. If you are interested, you can check it out here: http://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/74164/twd-interactive-fanfiction-the-fallen-world

That's it for now, like I said, new part will be up very soon. I hope my little shout-out is alright for the mods, if not, let me know and I will drop this idea. I just think it is something nice, considering these fanfictions are what made me stay in this Forum.

• You are such more amazing than i am!! :p

The Voting is closed! Torvin will stay with Harlan and Holt in the dungeons The next Torvin chapter... well, it will be hard to write.

• I see your point but I must say that the problem for me is that GoT is pretty much the only universe I'm interested enough to read fanfics. All I know about Borderlands for example is pretty much what zer0 sum gave me. And I liked zer0 sum very much but tbh it didn't make me interested in the universe of Borderlands, I just liked the humor and story. However I promise to give a go to one other fanfic in this forum, just have to decide which one :p

The Voting is closed! Torvin will stay with Harlan and Holt in the dungeons The next Torvin chapter... well, it will be hard to write.

• I tend to only read one or two fanfictions at a time, I get confused. Not to mention I find it hard enough to keep up with those few

• you just saved one character from certain death, while maybe dooming another

Alt text

Aw shit. Now I'm scared.

It will most likely mean that your characters will die a horrible death soon.

Well good thing I haven't posted a character. Yet... I'm too lazy. <_<

But still, it's really nice of you to promote other great fanfics. If you recomend any that I haven't read yet, I'll be sure check them out. :)

• Alt text

• Alt text

It took me way too long to find a reply gif. I am getting old...

• edited February 2015

Ellena

Talea looked at her father with a worried face, her arms akimbo, letting out a sigh. The captain, usually a stern, but calm man had a slightly red face and he was looking at his daughter, at Ellena and at the tall, thin man in front of him. Patrick Tanner, the harbormaster, arrived at the Pale Princess in the morning, accompanied by a mean looking thug and a bunch of official documents. They had talked, in perfect and fluent Westerosi, far better than Ellenas own Westerosi was. However, she was still able to understand what this conversation was about. The Pale Princes was in trouble.

Five days had passed, in which she barely spoke to Terroma. The old man had kept largely to himself during this time, staying in his room or taking trips around the city. Alone. Most of the times, Ellena hadn’t seen him leaving, only to notice that he was missing, before he finally came back a few hours later. Terroma always came back. But something changed after the incident in the alleyway. His smile seemed a bit sad, he seemed to be in thoughts most of the time, his easygoingness appeared forced from time to time. He was not a simple merchant, like she suspected at first. Simple merchants weren’t able to kill three men like this. Sure, they had deserved it. They had almost killed the knight, who was still recovering in a small room aboard the Pale Princess. They had been beasts, from what Ellena could tell. But Terroma… he had butchered them. She wasn’t afraid, but still… he hid something from her. The evening after the incident, she had asked him if he was a Faceless Man. Terroma had only laughed. “Sweet Ellena”, he had said. “If I am a Faceless Man, do you think I would tell you?” After that she hadn’t asked anymore. She wasn’t afraid of him. He was still Terroma. But she was wary.

She had spent more time with Talea, who apparently tried her best to teach her in some way. The captain’s daughter took her to meetings, introduced her to the wonders of accounting and bookkeeping. It was pretty boring and Ellena often found her mind astray. Her father had tried to teach her stuff like this as well for years until he had finally given up on it. However, accompanying Talea had it’s upsides as well. The captain’s daughter was pleasant company and for every calculation, she also learned a few new interesting words and got to spend some time around the sailors. There was Moreo, a green-bearded Tyroshi, who had a bad temper but a wonderful singing voice. Then there was Lane, a pudgy, bald man from Myr, who was the closest the Pale Princess had for a real cook. He always gave her something to eat when he met her and Ellena was polite enough to eat it, despite Lane being a horrible cook. A hairy man from Ib who went by the name of Jeggo taught her a few swear words in the strange language of the Ibbenese. She had some interesting talks with the wounded knight. Jaron had been in a bad condition for some days, but the medico was certain that he would recover completely soon. Three of his ribs had been broken, alongside his shield arm, but his armor saved his life. Most of the times, he was sleeping in his room, but when he was awake, he often talked to Ellena and was even able to walk again. And despite Terroma not spending any time with her this week, it hadn’t been too bad. At least until today. Today, the problems started. The Pale Princess wanted to leave again, this time travelling to Raylansfair in the northern Reach. But in the early morning, an envoy from the harbormaster arrived, prohibiting the ship to leave Oldtown. The captain had a long talk with the envoy and send him away. A second envoy came, accompanied by a bodyguard. The captain had a talk with him as well, this time accompanied by Moreo. More words had been exchanged, some of them had been swear words. The word ‘fuck’ had been said in several variations. Finally, the harbormaster himself had to come. Patrick Tanner wasn’t old, likely even younger than the captain. But his hair was already completely grey, his skin pale and slightly wrinkled. He was a soft-spoken man, his voice reminding Ellena of brittle paper and dry ink. The captains melodic voice was a pleasant contrast for this, the familiar accent sounding comfortable.

“Tell me again, Tanner. Why can’t we leave? I have filled out all necessary documents, your men have searched the ship after we arrived and once as we wanted to leave. We don’t have any smuggled goods with us. Keeping us here is against the law”, the captain said, visibly shaken. Tanner shook his head. “I am afraid, this is where you’re wrong, captain”, he said politely. “The law prohibits you from leaving” He reached into his pocket and showed them a small sheet of paper. Official looking paper. Ellena saw two seals on it, the bigger one clearly depicting the Hightower, the smaller one depicting several dots. "This is signed and sealed by Ser Maron Mullendore, personally tasked by Lord Hightower to keep the city safe. You’re prohibited from leaving on his decree”, Tanner explained

The captain let out a sigh. “I understand, Tanner. However, I am done with your Westerosi bullshit. Why don’t we shorten this? How much does this Mullendore want?”, he asked, putting his hands on the top of his desk. Tanner shook his head. “Maybe it is common to do such things in Braavos, dear captain. But Ser Maron is a steady and honorable man. He despises people who try to bribe him” Tanner’s voice got slightly louder, sounded almost irritated.

Talea cleared her throat and put her hands up. “And we never wanted to imply this. My father only wanted to ask what Ser Maron wants from us. Clearly he wouldn’t keep us here without a reason, would he?”, she said and gave him a sweet smile. Talea wasn’t a pretty girl and her smile looked rather dull. But she wasn’t ugly either, she was slim, had bright eyes and fine teeth. Ellena could also imagine that a man like Tanner hadn’t seen a young woman smiling at him in months. She noticed a subtle change in his face. The irritated tone in his voice was gone and he gave the captain’s daughter an approving gaze. “You are right, mylady. You all seem like good people, so I will tell you what I know. A note, which had been passed to me earlier, informed me that your ship is part of an investigation. Apparently, three men have been killed, men who are in service of a dangerous criminal who goes by the name of ‘Butterfly’. Thanks to an anonymous tip, the city guard assumes that the culprit is among your crew. Ser Maron intends to bring this Butterfly to justice and would have killed these men either way, but he severely disapproves of vigilantism. Until you haven’t settled the matter with him, I am afraid I can’t let you leave”, he explained. At least he had the decency to sound genuinely polite. Ellena gulped and looked at Talea. She had told her about the night and had no doubt that they both were thinking the same. Terroma had told her that helping Jaron could lead to trouble. And no the trouble came, albeit not in form of a vengeful criminal, but in form of the law.

Tanner looked at Talea, his thin lips forming a stilted smile. “Of course, Ser Maron is a reasonable man. If you are able to help him with his investigations, I am convinced he will let you leave”, he explained, before taking a bow. “However, I am inclined to leave now. There is a lot of work that won’t do itself”, he chuckled suddenly. The captain gave him a short, annoyed nod. “Good day, Tanner”, he sighed, watching the harbormaster leaving, as quick as he came. When the man was gone, the captain glared furiously at Talea and Ellena.

“That’s all about Terroma and this hedge knight! I knew it was a bad idea to let him stay aboard the Princess”, he hissed, while Talea shook her head. “That was not Jarons fault and certainly not Ser Terromas! He saved his life, for fucks sake!”, she answered sternly. The captain threw his arms into the air. “He did! And now we have trouble with the local city guard!”, he shouted, before looking at Ellena. She realized that she just got pale. The captain’s gaze softened. “Sorry. I am sorry. I don’t want to shout like that. But it is undeniable that we have a problem. Ser Maron Mullendore apparently wants the man who killed these three thugs. So, my proposal would be that we sell him out. I am going to meet with Mullendore and I tell him the truth. I tell him that Terroma saved a man and that this man is now recovering aboard the Pale Princess. I guess that Mullendore wants to speak to both of them”, he explained.

Talea narrowed her eyes. “So, we rat them out like that? We don’t know what this knightly jerkass is going to do to them!”, she said and stood next to Ellena. “You don’t want that either, do you?”, she asked. Ellena gulped. Yes, they were in trouble because Terroma killed these men. But he had only killed them because she made him do it. He never wanted that. She looked up and into the captain’s eyes “This is not his fault…”, she said with shaky voice. “It is mine. I made him save Jaron. Please, Terroma only protected him and me”

The captain shook his head. “You are a little girl. Little girls shouldn’t be involved in murder and vigilantism. I am not going to tell Ser Maron anything about you. But I will tell him about Terroma and Ser Jaron. I don’t think Jaron has anything to fear. I also don’t think that Terroma is in danger. After all, he basically defended himself while preventing a crime. Yet, Mullendore will want to speak to both of them”, he explained. Talea shook her head. “Terroma is a friend and Ser Jaron is a guest. Do what you want, captain, but should something happen to them, I won’t forgive you”, she said. Her voice was as cold as ice. The captain gave her a sad look, before looking at Ellena. “Please, Ellena. I want to talk to my daughter. Alone”

Ellena nodded. She understood stuff like this. Her father had some stern talks with her as well. Yes, she understood. And she also understood what the captain was trying to do. But that didn’t mean that she agreed with him. Terroma was her friend. He had saved a life and now he was about to be interrogated by a man she knew nothing about. This Mullendore could be a friendly man, from what she knew. But he could also be a bloodthirsty madman who would gladly kill Terroma for fun. Her father once told her that people in the highest positions were very often truly evil. It wasn't right to give Terroma to such a man. He had only helped! As she walked out of the captain’s quarters and down the hallway, her gaze fell on Terromas door. From what she knew, he was aboard the Princess right now. She could warn him and Ser Jaron, but should she risk to anger the captain like that?

[Warn Terroma] [Warn Jaron] [Warn both] [Warn neither]

Jenna

Jenna took a deep breath, looking at Septon Corbins puffy, dolorous face. The Septon wasn't smiling, he rarely ever did. But he still managed to look quite friendly, reassuring and calming. A self-righteous hypocrite. But a Septon. And the only ally she could hope for.

“Harris murdered him”, she whispered. Septon Corbins face slightly changed. Worry was his default expression, but now she saw something else. Anger? Resignation? The Septon sighed. “I have feared that much. Tell me what happened exactly”, he asked. Jenna shivered with relief. For a moment she had feared that the Septon would immediately tell Harris about her insubordination. “He and Ser Ilhan had a fierce dispute. Ser Ilhan accused Harris about ruling unjustifiably. He wanted to inform the king about something. Harris didn't want this...”, she explained, before taking a pause to breathe again. She noticed tears in her eyes. Not now! Not in front of the Septon. Corbin shook his head. “Oh Harris... Tell me, how do you know this?”, he asked. His tone of voice sent shivers down her spine. She remembered one of his sermons, in which he preached about how the Seven hate dishonourable behaviour. Did eavesdropping count as dishonourable behaviour? “I... I listened. I wasn't supposed to do that, Septon Corbin, I am sorry!”, she stuttered. The Septons face got a stern expression and he raised his index finger. “Jenna, the Warrior hates dishonourable behaviour”, he lectured. Jenna looked down, on the ground. She wanted to tell him that she wasn't a warrior. That Harris was the monster here and that her eavesdropping didn't even matter. That they had to go after Harris and that the Septon needed to do something. But she stayed quiet, while Septon Corbin looked at her with a stern gaze. Finally, he sighed. “But I guess we have to focus on the more important task first. I do expect that you pray for forgiveness the next seven nights”, he demaned. Jenna gave him a weak nod and continued.

“Ser Ilhan drew his sword. I think he wanted to take Harris as a captive until the king decided in this matter. Then, Lady Halla discovered me and dragged me into the room. Ilhan got distracted and... and Harris...”, she said, stopping as her voice started to crack. Septon Corbin gave her an understanding nod. “It is okay, child. I will contact the High Septon. He will be able to call the king to Raylansfair. The King will decide in this matter. Until then, it is important that you stay quiet about this. Not a word to anyone, do you understand me?”, he explained. Jenna looked at him with relief. Septon Corbin would help her! Out of all people, Septon Corbin was the one to help her! She gave him a bright smile. “Yes. Oh yes, Septon Corbin”, she said, resisting the urge to hug him. “Come on now, we don't want to keep Harris waiting, do we?”, the Septon answered. For a moment, Jenna felt shivers running down her spine. Why Harris? What did Septon Corbin wanted to do with Harris now?

Quite sluggishly, the Septon raised from his chair and walked towards the door, letting Harris and Halla in. The acting lord seemed to be concerned. He looked at Jenna with a stern face. And in the moment she looked into his eyes, she was certain that he could see what she had just done. Harris smiled at her and at Septon Corbin. “Well, Septon... Are you convinced of my innocence in this matter now?”, he asked. Jenna gulped. Harris would never attack a man of the Faith, not even he would ever stoop so low, there was simply no way... Ser Ilhan had thought like this, she remembered. He had believed that Harris would act honorable. She remembered Ser Ilhan, lying on the ground, motionless, in a pool of blood. No...

Septon Corbin gave him a nod. “Indeed, Harris. The poor girl was clearly shaken, but I think this is only understandable after what happened. But she convinced me of your innocence. She had seen that Ser Ilhan had drawn his sword, that he was about to attack you”, he explained. Jenna carefully watched him. Nothing on his face gave his surprise away, except maybe a very brief eye movement towards Jenna. “Like I said, Corbin. The Seven gave us truth today”, he exclaimed, before giving Jenna an approving smile.

He walked around the table, putting his hands on Jennas shoulders. Jenna felt how she clenched her hands. “I am glad you were able to help me, Jenna”, Harris whispered. “Your dedication for the truth must be rewarded. I have heard your father is missing, right?”, he said, his words sounding sweet, but barely hiding the steel behind them. Jenna noticed that she was holding her breath. Her father! What did Harris know about that?

“Yes, m'lord”, she mumbled. Harris put his hands up again, away from her shoulders and walked around the table, so that he was able to look her in the eyes. “I am sorry to hear that. As long as I am your lord, no one will get missing in Raylansfair. I will inform the city guard. They will search for him and they will find him”, he promised. Jenna looked at him in a mixture of confusion and amazement. She could see his face. That was real gratitude he just showed. Jenna gave him a forced smile. “Thank you m'lord”, she answered, without stopping to stare at him. Why would he help her? Was he really grateful for this? “M'lord... May I go now?”, she asked, still surprised. Harris gave her a benevolent smile. “Of course, Jenna. Take the day off. Tomorrow, my guard will have found your father and brought him back to you, I promise”, he said, before looking at Corbin. “Septon Corbin, I think we should continue our talk in private” The Septon gulped, but gave Harris a smile. “Of yourse, mylord”, he said. Jenna did not look back as she left the room.

With quick steps, she went back to her room, not able to hold back her tears on the way. One of the guards, a young woman with shoulder-length brown hair looked at her with a questioning look. Jenna walked past her before she could ask her something. She didn't want to talk now. With every step she walked, she realized how horrible the talk had been. She realized how great the danger had been. She had put her trust in Septon Corbin, but she had no confirmation that he wasn't reporting back to Harris right now. And her father... she knew that Harris was capable of being involved in his disappearance. Ser Ilhan, lying on the floor, in a pool of his own blood...

Completely in tears she reached her room, only to see her door open. Instantly, her wariness returned. Someone was in her room. Someone potentially dangerous... With an uneasy feeling she realized that her door had no lock. And a small person could climb through the window. Maybe Harris wanted to kill her, now or later in her sleep. She couldn't stay here! She had to find out who the intruder in her room was and then she had to run. She had to leave the castle, as far away from Harris as possible! Jenna slowly walked up to the room, looked inside and took a relieved breath. She saw Carma, who was just making her bed. Her friend noticed her and gave her a worried look. “Jenna? What is wrong with you?”, she asked, walking up to her. “Has it been that bad?” Jenna managed to give her a weak nod, before she started to sob. “More than that, Carma. It has been horrible”, she managed to say. Carma gave her a kind smile. “Do you want to tell me?”, she offered. Talking to Carma always helped her. Always made her feel better. Despite an age-gap of only eight years, Carma almost seemed to be her mother in many ways. They had the same smile, the same eyes. And Jenna couldn't pull her into this! She just had to leave!

“No... not this time. I have to leave the castle for a few days. I can't stay here. Not after Ser Ilhan”, she explained. Carmas smile faded. “You can't mean that, Jenna. Where would you go?”, she asked. Yes... where would she go? Her fathers farm wasn't far. She could hide until the king arrived. But she would be all alone. If something happened to her, there would be no one to help her...

“I don't know... I just don't know. I just have to get away from all of this. From Lord Harris. From Septon Corbin and Lady Halla. From this castle, where everything reminds me of Maester Eaton and Ser Ilhan. I have to get away from all this death, Carma”, she said. Carmas smile returned. “You want to leave the castle for a few days?”, she asked. Jenna gave her an irritated nod. She had just said that! “Because, if you just want to leave, you could come with me. We have a spare bedroom in our house. You have to meet Urid! And the kids will love you”, she smiled. Jenna looked at her and wanted nothing more than to say yes. But would it be risky for Carma? Or was she just paranoid?

Paranoid little Jenna Harking, all alone, who already caused Ser Ilhans death and likely endangered Septon Corbin as well...

[Accept Carmas offer] [Decline Carmas offer]

• [Warn Terroma] Why warn Jaron?

[Accept Carmas offer] I wanna meet them , and she will probably get killed either way

Awesome Chapter!!

Ellena Talea looked at her father with a worried face, her arms akimbo, letting out a sigh. The captain, usually a stern, but calm man ha

• The [Warn Jaron] option is mainly since Ellena knows nothing about the man who will want a talk with them. At least from her very subjective perspective it is possible that this man could cause trouble for Terroma, but Jaron as well

supersagig posted: »

[Warn Terroma] Why warn Jaron? [Accept Carmas offer] I wanna meet them , and she will probably get killed either way Awesome Chapter!!

• edited February 2015

Just a quick question for you, since I have a pretty weird bug right now: If you edit your responses to this, do you still follow the thread? Because everytime I edit my responses in any story, I seem to unfollow it automatically right now.

• [Warn both]

[Decline Carmas offer]

Who'd we save? Lenny? Please let him be safe, o Leonard the Stately.

Ellena Talea looked at her father with a worried face, her arms akimbo, letting out a sigh. The captain, usually a stern, but calm man ha

• I don´t know

Just a quick question for you, since I have a pretty weird bug right now: If you edit your responses to this, do you still follow the thread? Because everytime I edit my responses in any story, I seem to unfollow it automatically right now.

• edited February 2015

I understood why the choice was there , but i still don´t get the point to only warn him

The [Warn Jaron] option is mainly since Ellena knows nothing about the man who will want a talk with them. At least from her very subjective perspective it is possible that this man could cause trouble for Terroma, but Jaron as well

• [Warn neither] The lord wouldn't attack Terroma for protecting Jaron. Besides, he is a skilled talker and can easily talk his way out of any danger. And Jaron is a hedge knight working for a Gang Lord. What could go wrong.

[Accept Carmas offer] I don't expect Harris to go all willy nilly murdering the entire town. He has enough suspicion on him already.

• [Warn both]

[Accept Carma's offer]

• [Warn both]

[Accept Carmas offer]

I just have to say it.... puta glasses on Carmas a bitch.

• edited February 2015

There seems to be a little check box below the comment, right above the "Post Reply" button.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.