What do you think about Daenerys?

I've seen a lot of different thoughts about her, so I want to hear your opinion guys. Do you like her? You hate her? You love to hate her? I watch the TV show and I personally like her, she has good intentions but I don't think she's the best leader. What do you think and why?

Comments

• Don't really care for her all that much. Don't see why people hate her so much though :p

• Of course you don't care, you never watched the show.

Green613 posted: »

Don't really care for her all that much. Don't see why people hate her so much though

• Except I finished the show like 2 months ago, lol.

papai46 posted: »

Of course you don't care, you never watched the show.

• I absolutely hate her.

Yay for unpopular opinions!

• Well it's certainly true that some people love her and some hate her, however there are some who have a sort of love hate view of her i.e they don't completely hate her but they don't totally love her either.

She mostly seems to have good intentions. At the beginning I felt sorry for her, then I was impressed by her character's gradually growing strength. However she seems to have this very blinkered view of things at times. For example when Ser Barristen tells her about Robert wanting her assassination and Ned Stark being strongly apposed to the idea, she seemingly doesn't want to hear or acknowledge that Ned is anything other than the monster she has painted him to be! When Ser Barristen tells her he witnessed the execution of Ned Stark and was glad that he was not a part of the King's guard anymore, she dismissed his opinion (that Ned didn't deserve his fate) and says he died a "traitor's death" Ironically (and if the theory that R+L=J is true, which I strongly believe it is) then in actual fact Ned is not a traitor, because he has raised and protected the Targaryen heir to the throne, which is actually a stronger claim than Daenerys! Although he is on the wall so it seems to matter little atm.

I think when she decided to try ruling Meereen things just seemed to go down hill from there.

• Yay for unpopular opinions!

That's not an unpopular opinion at all from what I've seen :p

I absolutely hate her. Yay for unpopular opinions!

• Damn she's hot!

• She's a bitch.

• I enjoy her character. She has a good amount of flaws to go with the amount of good things she has going for her. Most criticism toward her seems to revolve around her bad ruling, but that just seems to me as part of her character arc, and its not as if she's bad due to malice or laziness; she's just inexperienced and never had proper training.

• I honestly like her character. She has good intentions and dreams... but she is an awful leader. I hope she does not win the Iron Throne, because it honestly would not go well.

She's hot though.

• Meh. I liked her in Season 1 and 3, but started to dislike her in 4. She makes the worst possible decisions, I get that she's trying to do what she thinks is right, but still. I think she's a good character though. And hot.

• Pretentious airhead who I dearly hope gets stomped on by Stannis.

• Can't stand her.

• edited February 2015

I don't hate her as much as a lot of people do. A lot of my opinion of her is eventually going to be based on how GRRM eventually handles her story. Does he recognize as well as the rest of us how deluded she is in many respects? Does he recognize that she is practically the embodiment of the saying 'the road to hell is paved with good intentions'? Or is she really going to be the generic messianic figure she seems to be headed towards?

The more GRRM screws with our expectations, the more I expect I'll like Dany by the time all is said and done. The more Mary Sueish she becomes, by contrast, the less I'll end up liking her by the end.

I'll be interested to see whether TV audiences turn against her as hard in Season 5 as book readers did after Dance with Dragons. At least Daario isn't quite as much of a douche in the show, even if he isn't particularly interesting either.

• Alt text

Daenerys is one of my favourite characters, especially since the episode above (destruction of Astapor). Yes, she may not be the best leader, but at least she tried to be, as she stayed in Meereen to learn how to rule better, and in my opinion, she would be a much better ruler than
    Stannis, and people would like her a lot more in the throne than him.

• She must die the most horrible way possible for me to ever be satisfied.

• It depends. Her intentions are good. She want to save people from slavery. She wants them to be free. But she is narrow-minded. She see slavery as the ultimate evil, not really understanding that Essos has a very different culture and what she think is good is evil to others. She see the world in black and white, good vs evil. She doesn't know that the world doesn't work that way.

Considering her youth and lack of experiences, her flaws can be understandable.

I personally don't find her stories that interesting, but I don't hate her or see her as a bad character.

• She's got potential. Early on I would have said she doesn't deserve any more than the titles of a house in exile. But as the story marched on, I've seen her change, but only start to, only in the 4th season. There's a chance for her to soften up in regards to how she handles justice. If she continues to change, her claim to the throne may look far more appealing than Stannis'. Currently the only thing she's got over Stannis is that her reign won't oppress the Faith of the Seven and turn its advocates into martyrs, as well as anyone who speaks against Melissandre and the red god.

• I agree and I think you've summed it up well.

It depends. Her intentions are good. She want to save people from slavery. She wants them to be free. But she is narrow-minded. She see slav

• edited February 2015

I also like her character very much for one good reason:SLAVERS MUST DIE IN PAIN!

Grafite posted: »

Daenerys is one of my favourite characters, especially since the episode above (destruction of Astapor). Yes, she may not be the best leader

• I agree. Ser Barristan Selmy told her to have mercy on the slave masters in Meereen, but I think Daenerys did better.

I only imagine the child slaves working hard and never disobeying the masters so they could have a chance to live until they were adults, when suddenly the slave masters decided to crucify the innocent children, who must have suffered a lot, and leave them to die, only to prove how "great" Meereen was. Justice was served that day indeed by Daenerys.

JMOREL posted: »

I also like her character very much for one good reason:SLAVERS MUST DIE IN PAIN!

• well said.

It depends. Her intentions are good. She want to save people from slavery. She wants them to be free. But she is narrow-minded. She see slav

• Dany: If I castrated every master that slept with a pleasure slave, I'd rule a city of eunuchs.

JMOREL posted: »

• She's just a teenage pseudo queen who got to much power in her hands. She thinks she can rule the whole world, while she can't even rule a single devastated khalasar. Also, she wants to command the flying, fire-breathing beasts, even though dragons would rather grill her up (I wish) than let her treat them as the obedient pets.

• I like her. She's a flawed individual who just wants to do good and while her black and white views annoy me, she seems to be improving it.

• I don't mind her, but I don't get the hype for her
    There's no reason to hate her, though

• edited February 2015

She's one of my favorite characters, if not the most. :) I love her in book 1 and I still love her in book 5. Yea I don't find Meereen and exotic Asian/Middle Eastern-inspired culture boring, but rather fascinating. I find her struggle for slaves' freedom real and historically accurate (as compared to our world's history).

I love all female characters in GoT. They are all really well written, flawed, and fascinating. The problem with most fantasy genre is the lack of believable female characters, as most of them tend to fall into certain stereotypes that doesn't really reflect real human emotions. GRRM has none of those and it's really refreshing to see female depicted so realistically, and not act perfect all the time, like how a real human does.

• Well said

She's one of my favorite characters, if not the most. I love her in book 1 and I still love her in book 5. Yea I don't find Meereen and exo

• edited February 2015

I like her. I think she is the only one at this stage who could hold the Kingdoms together, besides maybe Aegon or whoever he may be. Stannis is a good man certainly but he won't hold the kingdoms together, he is not loved and with Melisandre besides him he threatens to burn their gods in the name of a Foreign religion, rebellion would be ensured. The lannisters are at the Tyrells throats and have to many enemies. Daenerys comes riding her dragons into Westeros and houses great and small will raise their banners for her and with the threat of her dragons she could keep the peace. On the other hand she certainly has her faults but that is mainly due to age and inexperience hopefully she will learn in time.

• I have seen the TV Show AND read the books, yet I really like her. Just because you don't like her, doesn't mean that everyone has to dislike her.

papai46 posted: »

Of course you don't care, you never watched the show.

• edited February 2015

One of my favorite characters. She really is the underdog next to the starks. People think she is an air head but you have to understand in all her life she never planned to be a ruler, It just happened so suddenly. You wouldn't know what to do either if you suddenly became a ruler.

In the book we only really get to know her in books 1 and 5. In the TV series it only seems like she just sits around all the time without a thought. If you read the book you get an idea of her ideology more. She really is the most interesting leader in the whole series.

She's like Cleopatra but with dragons. What more can I say?

• She is cool. One of my favorites. But question is is she azora ahai

• Oh I read the books, Half the time shes fantasising about having sex with Darrio. Every book POV character is more rich in the books its just impossible to give them the same detail in the show

Lee4ever posted: »

One of my favorite characters. She really is the underdog next to the starks. People think she is an air head but you have to understand in

Sign in to comment in this discussion.