Will their ever be a Season 4?

I have played seasons 1-3 and I was wondering is their is any possibility if a season four existing.

Comments

• "Ever" is a long time, but Telltale has so much work lined up that you shouldn't expect one anytime soon.

Though I would be delighted to be proven wrong in this case!

• I don't know. I seriously hope they will, I'm getting really sick of these interactive movie things that aren't funny. Telltale, please. For the love of all things holy. Get back to making funny games, we all want to see Sam & Max again. It's been way too long.

• I was hoping that Broken Age by Double Fine would encourage telltale into making another Sam & Max. Sadly that doesn't seem to be the case.

• Still no answer?
    Sigh.
    Apparently Sam and Max got killed by the low budget animation movie equivalent of a choose your own adventure book.
    Too bad.

• At this juncture I hope someone else picks up the S&M torch, though I'm not sure who. With Ron Gilbert & Gary Winnick making https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thimbleweedpark/thimbleweed-park-a-new-classic-point-and-click-adv?ref=users and Double Fine doing an HD Day of the Tentacle, who else could pick up the baton?

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited December 2014

Telltale is still making Sam & Max games, so I'm happy to let them continue with the license. People aren't exactly jumping at the chance to make Sam & Max games, but luckily Telltale haven't forgotten about them. They recently starred in the Poker Night games (the last of which was released only last year), and Kevin Bruner has stated that they will be making more smaller, Poker sized games with them in the future.

I'm happy with the side games (since Sam & Max started out as comic book characters they fit right at home with the other multi-media characters in the Poker Night games), and they're still consistently written excellently, and funny to boot (the Sam & Max dialog in the Poker Night games are among my favorite in both games). No one else is rushing to license Sam & Max from Steve Purcell, so I'm really happy that we're still getting new material from the duo (and that the games continue to be good). There was nothing at all from between the cancellation of the Sam & Max television series in 1998 and Culture Shock in 2006 (except for the flash cartoon "Our Bewildering Universe"), so it's definitely a much better time to be a Sam & Max fan now than it was then.

Telltale could just stop making games from the duo altogether, and then we'd have no new Sam & Max at all (probably not even in comic form, as Steve Purcell is so busy at Pixar these days). I really doubt anyone wants that.

tarasis posted: »

At this juncture I hope someone else picks up the S&M torch, though I'm not sure who. With Ron Gilbert & Gary Winnick making https:/

• I would really like to see double fine try the sam and max license

tarasis posted: »

At this juncture I hope someone else picks up the S&M torch, though I'm not sure who. With Ron Gilbert & Gary Winnick making https:/

• I just finished season 3, a little sad in the end. I really hope TTG makes another one, the story and characters are so well made and jokes are so funny. I also love the comic. Why there aren't so many things of S&M!?

• I just finished season 3, little sad in the end. I really hope in a season 4! The story and characters are so well written, I just love their universe and their jokes are so funny! I also appreciated the comic :-) Why there aren't many things of S&M!?

• Sorry I posted it twice because the page wasn't loading well ^^'

• While it's nice that they appear in Poker Night -games, poker games really aren't my cup of tea* and I wish that we would see more Sam & Max adventure games in the future. I'm fine with the idea of independent single episodes, it worked relatively well with Bone and Puzzle Agent (both left me yearning for more, which is always a good sign).

*I don't want to sound overtly negative, but I just don't like playing poker on computer. I find the game enjoyable only when I'm playing against the real people in RL and even then it's not my favorite form of gambling.

Jennifer posted: »

Telltale is still making Sam & Max games, so I'm happy to let them continue with the license. People aren't exactly jumping at the chanc

• I really don't like computer Poker either, but these games actually are the exception for me. The conversations are excellent, and that's really what the games are all about, as the poker is just the impetus that brings all of these characters together. It's all about listening to these characters talk amongst each other, like what would happen when you sit with a group of friends together for poker night, except these friends are famous game characters. You should give one of them a try, they might surprise you. $5 isn't bad at all, but you could always wait for a Steam sale if you're not sure.

While it's nice that they appear in Poker Night -games, poker games really aren't my cup of tea* and I wish that we would see more Sam &

• The characters will show up in some games, but what you're looking for (and me)-- another point and click adventure game with Sam & Max will not happen. Telltale has done everything except state it explicitly: They have zero interest in revisiting the franchise.

• I guess sooner or later we'll get something about them, maybe it won't be a classic point and click adventure but it could be another style and surely not from Telltale (so sad that TTG isn't interested anymore there are a lot of fans of S&M). I think that there's also a slightly possibility that some animation studio would make a film of S&M (not Pixar anyway).

WalterRuss posted: »

The characters will show up in some games, but what you're looking for (and me)-- another point and click adventure game with Sam & Max

• The walter guy is a troll though
    But I'll just say that some mod had a link on one of these threads that links to an article saying that Telltale didn't forget about them, they're just really busy at the moment and that's pretty understandable.

Gabgg6 posted: »

I guess sooner or later we'll get something about them, maybe it won't be a classic point and click adventure but it could be another style

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited March 2015

Versacebabe is right, Telltale still does plan to make games with Sam & Max, as their co-founder and president (now CEO) Kevin Bruner stated in this interview.

Kevin Bruner wrote:
    "We love Sam & Max and certainly haven't forgotten about them! I think you'll see something smaller (more like Poker) than a full Season, and probably not for a bit, but we have NOT forgotten about them, we've just been super busy growing like crazy."

He also doesn't rule out something more like an adventure game from them, he just states that there probably won't be a full season. Poker Night and Poker Night 2 were from the pilot program, which also brought us Nelson Tethers: Puzzle Agent and Puzzle Agent 2. Since pilot program sized games are still going on as Poker Night 2 was only released 2 years ago, which was after the company's design shift brought on by The Walking Dead, it's not completely out of the possibility for a one episode Sam & Max game with puzzles to happen from Telltale.

Telltale co-founders Kevin Bruner and Dan Connors (and Troy Molander, Freelance Police's graphic supervisor, who was also a co-founder but is no longer with Telltale) were part of the Sam & Max: Freelance Police team, as Dan Connors was the producer and Kevin Bruner was the lead programmer. Since Telltale was founded because Sam & Max Freelance Police was cancelled by LucasArts, and then Telltale was able to make Sam & Max games themselves since LucasArts lost the license due to disuse, it's pretty safe to say those guys don't want to see the same thing happen at Telltale. As long as at least one of those guys still have a big say on what goes on at Telltale (Kevin Bruner is now CEO and Dan Connors moved from CEO to a position on the board of directors), Telltale will keep making games with Sam & Max. Kevin Bruner and Dan Connors are obviously big fans of Sam & Max and it's pretty apparent (from the release of Poker Night 2 after the reshuffling of Telltale's design style due to the success of The Walking Dead, and from interviews such as the one I linked above) they don't want to lose the license themselves due to disuse.

Gabgg6 posted: »

I guess sooner or later we'll get something about them, maybe it won't be a classic point and click adventure but it could be another style

• Yes! Thank you for clarifying!

I would love to see them in any way, shape or form as long as they're being used in some way. Although, it would be really awesome if they surprised us with another adventure game in the years to come, be it a 4th season to that series they already made or another game altogether.

Versacebabe is right, Telltale still does plan to make games with Sam & Max, as their co-founder and president (now CEO) Kevin Bruner st

• So there's still hope to see them! Thank you Jennifer for the clear explanation!

Versacebabe is right, Telltale still does plan to make games with Sam & Max, as their co-founder and president (now CEO) Kevin Bruner st

• Would you happen to know their level of involvement in the Telltale games, what with their positions at the time? I'm not really clear what that would entail.

I bring it up because I'd actually figured that the duo's involvement with Telltale was was finally dead and buried - all the names I personally associated with those games, outside of Jared-Emerson Johnson and Andy Hartzell (not actually sure what he's up to these days, but Wikipedia's telling me he's still around) have since left the company.

I couldn't claim to know what Kevin Bruner or Dan Connors' influence would be, though. Maybe they've got enough of the spirit and involvement to pull it off. And frankly, with Emerson-Johnson scoring, you could pretty much just show an episode of Gilmore Girls without losing the atmosphere.

• If you look closely at the quotes, they say that while you'll see the characters Sam and Max, the days of point-and-click Sam and Max adventures are done. When people ask "Will we see a season 4?", we keep getting directed to the quote and assured, "Why yes, they'll be back!" But note that "season 4" is never mentioned. The point is, they own the characters, they'll use them in small roles in the poker games, maybe even in a throw-away walk on part in another game, but the whole "Sam and Max" as a game is done. Telltale has so much going on right now, I doubt if anyone there has any interest in another game featuring those two characters. If you read between the lines, they're trying to say it without sounding mean and saying "No! Never!" And as was said, "never say never," but I think if we ever have a classic Sam and Max game again, it won't under the Telltale brand.

• The days of zombies and LOTR copycats will wear out. There's always a market for fresh sarcastic humor. Maybe Telltale is out of ideas for Sam n Max. Too bad because they could be as big as Bugs Bunny if they put the resources into it.

• versacebabeversacebabe Banned
    edited July 2015

Yeah I'm pretty sure they're just putting this franchise on the back burner for now until this stupid game of thrones and zombie shit dies out of popularity.

danewsh posted: »

The days of zombies and LOTR copycats will wear out. There's always a market for fresh sarcastic humor. Maybe Telltale is out of ideas for Sam n Max. Too bad because they could be as big as Bugs Bunny if they put the resources into it.

• Game of Thrones is far from a LOTR copycat

danewsh posted: »

The days of zombies and LOTR copycats will wear out. There's always a market for fresh sarcastic humor. Maybe Telltale is out of ideas for Sam n Max. Too bad because they could be as big as Bugs Bunny if they put the resources into it.

• Just because you don't like don't call it "stupid shit." They are amazing stories with lots of potential. Sam and Max had its run with 3 whole seasons. Stop being so desperate

versacebabe posted: »

Yeah I'm pretty sure they're just putting this franchise on the back burner for now until this stupid game of thrones and zombie shit dies out of popularity.

• edited July 2015

Or maybe once they are done with those they move to other new franchises, like Minecraft, instead of bringing back Sam & Max.

When Telltale scraped their planned King's Quest game, they said that point and click adventures won't fit to their current plans. They have said that there's a possibility that they might make single Sam & Max episodes in the future, but I wouldn't expect anything anytime soon.

PS: I actually like The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones -franchises and Telltale's games about them.

• Damn man it's just my opinion. lol it's not that serious.

Just because you don't like don't call it "stupid shit." They are amazing stories with lots of potential. Sam and Max had its run with 3 whole seasons. Stop being so desperate

• Let's say it's a modern one, with more violence and nudity maybe.

To be honest, I agree with you, not the same thing. But GOT is not my cup of tea. I didn't like the books, neither the serie, nor the game.

I'm a little tired of these serious adventure games. I liked Telltale when they made Sam And Max, Wallace and Gromit, Monkey island and so on, because all of these were funny.

Now , well....let's say I'm not fan of their new games.

Game of Thrones is far from a LOTR copycat

• Five years that I’m hoping Sam&Max will be the next game... Maybe after Minecraft? ...

• I think is time to accept we will never get a S4.

P.S i have not played Sam And Max before. i only played BTTF JP and TWD. Is Sam and Max good?

• ....(Prepares a 36 page essay about how Sam & Max is amazing) ...but seriously, it is really great and hilarious... at least I think so, I might be biased >.>

Smellmeh posted: »

I think is time to accept we will never get a S4. P.S i have not played Sam And Max before. i only played BTTF JP and TWD. Is Sam and Max good?

• Yep but it's not for everyone. It's a point and click adventure game and they make smartass funny comments on everything you click on. It's pretty hilarious.

I think is time to accept we will never get a S4. P.S i have not played Sam And Max before. i only played BTTF JP and TWD. Is Sam and Max good?

• Sounds good! I might buy it someday.

Yep but it's not for everyone. It's a point and click adventure game and they make smartass funny comments on everything you click on. It's pretty hilarious.

• [removed]

Sounds good! I might buy it someday.

• You got your's for free?

• Hell yeah I ain't payin for that. I haven't paid for any kind of media since 2005.

You got your's for free?

• Where can i get it? :D

Hell yeah I ain't payin for that. I haven't paid for any kind of media since 2005.

• edited September 2015

The comics are also a blast, personally I find them funnier than the games, even as I was introduced to the games first through Poker-night at the inventory.
    You can find the biggest collection of them online here: https://www.comixology.com/Sam-Max-Surfin-the-Highway/digital-comic/32615

Sounds good! I might buy it someday.

• edited September 2015

I still haven't given up! I'm confident we will get something Sam & Max related some time in 2017!

• edited January 2017

I guess most of the core Sam & Max fans where here at the early days of Telltale Games. And it was a really great journey for all of us. I am so thankful that TTG picked up Sam&Max. Yet you can see how TTG moved away a bit from the original Idea of Point and Click (which feels fundamental to Sam and Max). Which is not a bad thing in general but they moved into a different genre. I found Tales from Borderlands to be one of the funniest and best adventures of recent times. Then again it is not the type of story telling and adventure that suits a Classic Martini like Sam & Max. That is why Double Fine, Revolution or any younger Adventure Game Studio seems to be a better fit for the licence. (if anyone of them would pick it up)

We haven't heard anything new from TTG about our friends Sam & Max recently. And seeing their current focus I wonder if they have the time and resources to fit in such a niche IP. Also it would be quite a big risk for them to opt for a niche IP against any Hollywood mainstream IP.

Look dear Telltale Games ...
    We had a great time laughing, crying, screaming and all that. It was a great ride.
    But now it is time to say good bye and maybe have other studios the chance to give it a try.
    I truly believe you love Sam and Max as much as we do - but you have to let go -
    So maybe you do us the honor and give us an honest statement about Sam & Max and offer up the IP.

Regards,
    your biggest fan

Sign in to comment in this discussion.