The Lost Lords was SLOOWWWWWWW

Here's my review of it: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/2015/02/game-of-thrones-episode-2-lost-lords.html

I'll be honest, for an episode with so much happening in it, almost nothing of consequence felt like it was happening. There's just too many characters, not enough time to get to know them, and events which really don't come to any sort of satisfying conclusion. I can't help but think this would be a game much better played altogether rather than episodically.

Which sucks because I love getting individual episodes.

Comments

• Oh yes, I so do enjoy your blog. Glad to see another review.

• How the fuck was it slow or boring? I figure it can be a matter of opinion but it certainly moved a lot faster than Iron from Ice in terms of story and also certainly had more action IMO. I wasn't bored for a minute of the episode and I'm sure a majority of people weren't either.

Unfortunately, I think this is a bad strategy for a episodic video game. Compare, obviously, to The Walking Dead video game. Each episode in that game was an adventure in itself. Gamers got a true sense of accomplishment after each episode and were always hungry for more. Here, we're forced to stew in House Forester's misery.

I'm sorry, but you are dumb. Game of Thrones books and show are like that, you have to deal with the misery of the characters and the political side of the story before you get to the fighting side of the action and "happy ending". And don't speak for everyone, after the episode I was certainly "hungry for more"

the sheer absence of choice is quite vexing.

Compared to previous Telltale Games, the consequences choices made in this episode are certainly a lot better

Basically, you should apply for a job at IGN because your reviews are as bad as theirs. "Well-written" but a 6/10 just shows how good of a "reviewer" you are.

• Your review is easily a 4/10.

• edited February 2015

We all have different opinions. But one of the things you said such as "Stewing in House Forester's misery.", I am sorry, but I am not witnessing House Forester's misery, we are watching their hardship and the problematic circumstances that has been forced upon them by their rivals and enemies. During the whole episode, we are watching how the Forresters are licking their wounds, plotting and planning for their survival.

Also, when you say misery, you have clearly not taken note of the moments that happen at the beginning of the episode. When you see Rodrik returns to his family and the heartwarming reunion between his mother and sister, can you call that misery?

• It was slow and boring. Sorry, I love TTG and I thought Episode 1 was decent, but episode 2 was just painfully slow and I was glad when it was over. Hopefully this was just a long setup for E3

How the fuck was it slow or boring? I figure it can be a matter of opinion but it certainly moved a lot faster than Iron from Ice in terms

• and events which really don't come to any sort of satisfying conclusion

And you expect them to in the second episode of a six part series?

K.

• edited February 2015

It's just a matter of opinion, though I personally can't see why anyone can think it was slow and boring. But half of the OP's review makes no sense and I was calling them out on that.

And yes, knowing Game of Thrones, the first half is usually where we get through the political side/other stuff that some people find slow and the second half is where more shit tends to hit the fan (basically something along those lines, don't really know if I'm getting the point I wanna be making right now out).

Mulejuice posted: »

It was slow and boring. Sorry, I love TTG and I thought Episode 1 was decent, but episode 2 was just painfully slow and I was glad when it was over. Hopefully this was just a long setup for E3

• What did you expect? Another playable character death that is shocking?

You need action, action, action, explosions and guts galore! This isn't the game for you, I suppose.

• I felt like episode 2 was alot better then episode 1 .-.

• And a lot faster as well.

Poogers555 posted: »

I felt like episode 2 was alot better then episode 1 .-.

• Me too.
    I liked it very much.

I felt like episode 2 was alot better then episode 1 .-.

• Yes, you gotta go fast

Green613 posted: »

And a lot faster as well.

• What a poor review. I'm sorry, but your expectations for a SECOND episode of a SIX part series are ridiculous.

• edited February 2015

I don't really think this is your type of game then.

• But they wont in any episode... If they didn't have this buildup and had their choices reach an earlier climax they wouldn't come out as lackluster as they do.

and events which really don't come to any sort of satisfying conclusion And you expect them to in the second episode of a six part series? K.

• Jesus,are you serious?

Walking Dead Season 2 came out,and people were saying "Ugh,the episode's are going by too fast,why can't they move a little slower?"

Now,TellTale's listening,and what happens? "Ugh,these episodes are too slow,why can't they move faster?"

Well,shit. What do you want? This is why I don't come to this fucking forum anymore.

• This is why I don't come to this fucking forum anymore.

I don't blame you. You're exactly right.

Mrbman9001 posted: »

Jesus,are you serious? Walking Dead Season 2 came out,and people were saying "Ugh,the episode's are going by too fast,why can't they move

• I'm sorry, but you are dumb.

Please try to be more civil about your disagreements in the future. Thanks.

How the fuck was it slow or boring? I figure it can be a matter of opinion but it certainly moved a lot faster than Iron from Ice in terms

• Why would you expect criticism to be consistent from person to person?

Jesus,are you serious? Walking Dead Season 2 came out,and people were saying "Ugh,the episode's are going by too fast,why can't they move

• i just like to say..."It is what it is" if you dont like it, just move on ...nothing in this world is made for only you, stop bitching/whinning and grow the fuck up. (im just tired of people complaining/threating like actors/actress/writers example The Walking Dead tv show the actress Laurie Holden got freaking death threats for shooting their god Daryl really????) enough is enough people need to stop this freaking madness.

• The guy likes to write critical reviews, let him its his style.the people actually getting angry/offended by it need to chill out, its not that important

• Welcome to Game of Thrones, I guess. Usually takes 4-5 episodes to gear up to a huge battle or major turning point in the TV show the game is based on, at least from my point of view. More seems to happen in each episode of the game than each episode of the show (most likely because there's 10 episodes per season in the show and 6 per season in the game).

I can only imagine the later episodes of this game are gonna be even more awesome.

• Ah, yes, the fallacy of the "Six out of Ten is One out of Ten."

6 out of 10 means above average.

I call em like I see em, dude.

• Yeah, I sort of do.

Lee got to do five different adventures, more or less, in the Walking Dead.

The Wolf Among Us had direct senses of accomplishment too.

I also enjoyed a full adventure for Borderlands.

I think the story is a bit stretched too thin.

and events which really don't come to any sort of satisfying conclusion And you expect them to in the second episode of a six part series? K.

• I speak for myself, not the masses.

I gave part 1 a sterling review and thought it was awesome.

If I said the same about 2, I'd be lying because they're very differently paced.

• Speaking as a A Song of Ice and Fire fan rather than just the TV show, I guess I'd have preferred the episodes to move at a pace more consistent with A Game of Thrones than A Feast for Crows.

:-)

Seriously, though, I wonder if I might have enjoyed this game more if the characters all had their plots done separately and switched characters from episode to episode.

Anyway, if the pace continues, I'll probably buy the game when it is completed and play it then. It seems like it might benefit from that.

JakeSt123 posted: »

Welcome to Game of Thrones, I guess. Usually takes 4-5 episodes to gear up to a huge battle or major turning point in the TV show the game i

• You are entitled to your opinions. Game of Thrones is just different compared to the three games you mentioned. It is difficult to have a conclusive story/adventure to each character in a single episode. Thus all you can do is to follow and built their story through the episodes.

You mention a good points with how the story can be stretched thin due to the many player characters, but the game is following the structure of the books and the shows, so it doesn't feel out of place here.

The question would be if such a structure would work in an episodic game.

Yeah, I sort of do. Lee got to do five different adventures, more or less, in the Walking Dead. The Wolf Among Us had direct senses of

• 4? You're being generous!

Your review is easily a 4/10.

• Game of thrones is slow build. Thats how the show works. 10 episode series. 8 episodes of laying the seeds for action and consequence. 2 episodes of watching it all play out.
    TWD is a different universe altogether. Of course there's more danger and adventure in a post apocalyptic world with the undead a constant danger 24/7. It is impossible to compare them.
    As much as I love TWD, I'm actually thinking story wise that this is much, much better.

Yeah, I sort of do. Lee got to do five different adventures, more or less, in the Walking Dead. The Wolf Among Us had direct senses of

• I'm sorry if you think criticism equals death threats.

I liked the game enough to give it a six.

I just felt the pace needs to be sped up and more events of consequence.

i just like to say..."It is what it is" if you dont like it, just move on ...nothing in this world is made for only you, stop bitching/whinn

• Gotta go fast!

Alt text

Yes, you gotta go fast

• i'm sorry, but I just can't stand 'wannabe' videogame reviewers....you don't work for any real company or are a critic of any sort in the professional sense.

bloggers are honestly just the worst.

• edited February 2015

Honestly, I don't really think your review is appropriate.

For instance, one of your complains is that we have characters introduced yet don't know much about them.... That's the point. You just met Gwyn, do you think she's trustworthy ? Are you cautious around her ? You just met Beskha, she appears to have special circumstances, maybe we'll learn more at Meeren.

THIS is what "Episodic" gaming is about. You make choices without knowing much, and the wait accentuates your fears of having screwed up something. After all, "why did I trust this guy ? He just came out of nowhere !" is one of the numerous things one can feel due to the scarce amount of knowledge he has about the people he just met.

I'm going to pass on the "reach conclusion" part, honestly, it's stupid.

"Nothing of consequence" ? Seems like we played a different game. This was the point where I actually thought "Meh, this guy's just trolling". Forging the letter and take the risk of being busted later on, losing all support from Margaery ? Winning the betrothal, earning yourself some much-needed support or not ? Betting on the fact Margaery and her grandma will figure something out (because she tells you just that). Did you kill Damien ? If yes, did you keep the dagger ? Only Gared seemed like he didn't have that much important moments this time.

I can't even fathom how one could say that this Episode was "slow" or didn't have any "important choices". If anything, Episode 1 was much "slower" and had much less happening, yet you found it great.

Long story short, no offense, but I think your review sucks. Not because it doesn't give a great score or anything, but because your complains are basically unfounded.

• Hear hear!

Byakuren posted: »

Honestly, I don't really think your review is appropriate. For instance, one of your complains is that we have characters introduced yet

• Then you need glasses

Ah, yes, the fallacy of the "Six out of Ten is One out of Ten." 6 out of 10 means above average. I call em like I see em, dude.

• I apologize, I'm sorry.

I'm sorry, but you are dumb. Please try to be more civil about your disagreements in the future. Thanks.

• "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." - Voltaire

Some spirit of the enlightenment for us all! :D

• Yes, the Lost Lords was indeed much slower than Iron from Ice, but there was a good reason: numerous new characters and storylines were being introduced, and after what happened at the end of Iron from Ice it would be very hard for TT to replicate that sort of pace.

I think that The Lost Lords was more to do with building up tension and beginning to solve a situation, and in a way it was more of the beginning of the story than Episode 1 was: in E1 the Forrester's are betrayed, Gared is sent to the Wall, Ethan is killed and the Whitehills are posted in Ironwrath. This sets the situation up for Rodrik and the remaining characters to solve, and sets Gared on his own path that (I imagine) will inevitably cross over with the Forrester's again. They had to slow down the tempo, and though it was slower it was still as good in my opinion.

• You do have make a good point mate

Byakuren posted: »

Honestly, I don't really think your review is appropriate. For instance, one of your complains is that we have characters introduced yet

Sign in to comment in this discussion.