New generation of adventure gamers

I thought I share a sweet moment with The Bogey Man. The Wallace and Gromit shorts are quite popular with my kids, and when I finally got my hands on The Bogey Man and started it quickly to see if it worked OK (I planned to play it later that evening), one of the girls wondered into the room, recognised Wallace on the menu screen, asked me what I was doing - and in ten seconds, both girls kept asking me to play the game together. We got as far as like 10% of the game together, and they were liking it a lot, even though I had to translate to them as they don't speak English. So, as soon as they learn a little English, I already have 4 good games for them :cool:

Comments

• edited August 2009
    A lovely story. Proves that games aren't the devil and that 'family friendly' games aren't solely ones where you wave your arms about.
  • edited August 2009
    sonnyregis wrote: »
    A lovely story. Proves that games aren't the devil and that 'family friendly' games aren't solely ones where you wave your arms about.

Don't forget about stepping up on the white thing.
  • edited August 2009
    I thought I share a sweet moment with The Bogey Man. The Wallace and Gromit shorts are quite popular with my kids, and when I finally got my hands on The Bogey Man and started it quickly to see if it worked OK (I planned to play it later that evening), one of the girls wondered into the room, recognised Wallace on the menu screen, asked me what I was doing - and in ten seconds, both girls kept asking me to play the game together. We got as far as like 10% of the game together, and they were liking it a lot, even though I had to translate to them as they don't speak English. So, as soon as they learn a little English, I already have 4 good games for them :cool:

So, you played the first three Wallace and Gromit games in secret and your kids only found out the games existed when you were playing The Bogey Man?
  • edited August 2009
    So, you played the first three Wallace and Gromit games in secret and your kids only found out the games existed when you were playing The Bogey Man?

You can put it this way, I guess - my only excuse is that they're quite a bit below the adventure gaming age :)

@sonnyregis: definitely agree.
  • edited August 2009
    You can put it this way, I guess - my only excuse is that they're quite a bit below the adventure gaming age :)

@sonnyregis: definitely agree.
    How old is that? I played my first adventure at four or five years old.
  • edited August 2009

Start 'em on Humongous Entertainment's Putt-Putt series. :)
  • edited August 2009
    How old is that? I played my first adventure at four or five years old.

Um. I may need to reconsider my views. They're nearly five - from tomorrow on, it will be 1 hour mandatory Wallace & Gromit for each :D
    Seriously, though, they're not using the computer on their own yet. It may be time to start one of these days, I guess.
    Pale Man wrote: »
    Start 'em on Humongous Entertainment's Putt-Putt series. :)

Yep, that's a good idea, if only I could find a localized version.
  • edited August 2009
    Yep, that's a good idea, if only I could find a localized version.

Those games aren't really very dialog heavy, so they'd be easy to translate for your kids while they play. Once in a while the characters will say the basic goals but a lot of the fun kids get from those games is clicking around and watching the stuff bounce around, heh.
  • edited August 2009
    You have a good point here - I'll check upon them in the weekend :) Thanks!
  • edited August 2009
    Kids that age can do a lot more than you'd imagine. I played the first King's Quests myself when I was about 5-6 years old. Of course I didn't finish them or understood much of the plot, but I learned my first english that way. I knew how to "open door" before I could introduce myself! Working as a teacher this year has shown me that I'm not alone in that regard. What I'm trying to say is that kids seem to be able to do a lot of things if they only find it funny, and exploring an adventure game seems to work fine. Let your kids play around with Wallace & Gromit, perhaps they will pick up english along the way :)
  • edited August 2009
    What a kid can and can't do, and what they will and won't enjoy doing, is very much dependent on the child. But I do find that adults underestimate the ability of children a lot. I think it's generally better to test those boundaries than to outright avoid them.
  • edited August 2009
    Megaloman wrote: »
    Let your kids play around with Wallace & Gromit, perhaps they will pick up english along the way :)

That's a very good point. Sure I'll try that!

Otherwise, I agree with what you and Rather Dashing said - probably it's time for something challenging :)
  • edited August 2009
    Megaloman wrote: »
    Let your kids play around with Wallace & Gromit, perhaps they will pick up english along the way :)
    That's a very good point. Sure I'll try that!

Otherwise, I agree with what you and Rather Dashing said - probably it's time for something challenging :)

I would be funny if they picked up Lancashire accents that way! :p

In no time they'll be talking like Mrs Gabberly!
  • edited August 2009
    I would be funny if they picked up Lancashire accents that way! :p

In no time they'll be talking like Mrs Gabberly!

I can just imagine that!

But, seriously, that is a really heartwarming tale...

{gruffly}

Not that I'm into that or anything...

{sighs and walks off}
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2009
    That sounds exactly like my first experience playing an adventure game with my dad. Except the game was Leisure Suit Larry. :o
  • jmmjmm
    edited August 2009
    Wow. Larry!
    My first real attempt, without help, at adventure games was Maniac Mansion (and my first successful attempt at reverse engineering, don't tell anyone!)
    But I had previously played a lot of adventure (and else) games at a friend's house during countless playing sessions.
    Ah... good times
  • edited August 2009
    Emily wrote: »
    That sounds exactly like my first experience playing an adventure game with my dad. Except the game was Leisure Suit Larry. :o

Yay! I guess after that, your dad never did or will get embarassed, ever again :D

@Commissioner: Well, I'm drawing a line at Mrs. Gabberley. Or actually, two thousand miles before her ;)
  • edited August 2009
    So, as soon as they learn a little English, I already have 4 good games for them :cool:

This is a great idea.
    My parents never introduced me to games. But I made my father play Tetris on the NES.
  • edited August 2009
    I remember watching my dad play Monkey Island and the original Prince of Persia on my mum's old Mac back before I even spoke English. I didn't understand much, but I knew how to get the fish and feed the troll. Skip forward to the early 2000's and I get nostalgic, search for a few hours and I find myself playing Monkey Island once again, though this time with a firm grasp of the English language. I beat it a few days after that (with help, but still) and went on to find out there were three sequels and a whole slew of games made in the same vein.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.