Does the Reek treatment even work?

In a world thats not fiction seems a little unbelievable

Comments

• What do you mean by "the Reek treatment"? If you mean by cutting off a mans ween so they will be so incredibly broken that they'll actually believe you're their almighty master, then YES.

• Ha! "A man's ween":P

Green613 posted: »

What do you mean by "the Reek treatment"? If you mean by cutting off a mans ween so they will be so incredibly broken that they'll actually believe you're their almighty master, then YES.

• You have no idea how torture can change a man completely.

• Yes unfortunately, Its total stockholm syndrome

• I think even without his identity issues before his torture, I think it is quite possible. As others has mentioned. Stockholm Syndrome can do that to a captive.

• I am no doctor, but I don't think he has Stockholm Syndrome. If you have seen the tv series there is a "hunt" where Reek is with the Ramsey Snow. He gives me impression when he finds the girl that it is either you or me, so he gives her up. When his sister comes to save him, he is more worried that Ramsey will torture worse than before if he is cought again.

• What are you planning to do? O_o

• edited March 2015

I don't think Theon has stockholm syndrome, my interpretation is that his mind has completely given up trying to escaping, short circuiting and breaking down from all the damage. Ramsey has fooled Theon many times of 'escape' as part of the psychological torture, as shown when Ramsey pretended to be one of Yara's accomplices breaking him out. He thought the real Yara was another one of his tricks, and his disgust/hatred with Ramsey is shown when they are hunting Tansy in the woods.

• Hostages express empathy and sympathy and have positive feelings toward their captors, sometimes to the point of defending and identifying with the captors. That is the Wikipedia definition, I know how accurate they are some times lol, but every thing Reek does is out of fear. There is nothing positive or empathy or sympath for the bastard Bolton. He is afraid of him. His insecurities go back before he was taken captive. He is weak, and just like the Starks, and his father beat him down now Ramsey took it to a whole new level.

• A lot of people complained about the Reek torture scenes on the show and I always thought they were completely necessary to show how Theon could become so completely broken. You just don't know what it takes to make a man snap.

• edited March 2015

I just spent a day in solitary confinement in jail and was about to lose my mind. I can say with authority that being strapped to a Bolton cross for days/weeks/months, having your dick cut off, and having every escape attempt result in some horrible trick would definitely break a man.

• Just look up brainwashing and mind control, yes very simple to change personality like that.

• edited March 2015

i believe it does

• Wait let me try on one of my personal prisoners Alt text

• Would it be at all possible for Theon to recover from whatever you want to call his current state?

Hostages express empathy and sympathy and have positive feelings toward their captors, sometimes to the point of defending and identifying w

• Ehh probably not he's completely broke. He's so traumatized I doubt he could ever come back from it

AgentZ46 posted: »

Would it be at all possible for Theon to recover from whatever you want to call his current state?

• I think with time he might, odds are he won't. I would say Reek has taken over. There is nothing left for the eunuch Theon to be lord or king of any more. No iron born would ever follow him as a leader.

AgentZ46 posted: »

Would it be at all possible for Theon to recover from whatever you want to call his current state?

• I don't know about you, but if a man cut off my dick, I would do what he says.

• edited March 2015

I don't think any of us will ever fully comprehend how that kind of torture can change and traumatize a person,what it's like to be tortured. It's something that can't be helped. It's not a surprise that some of you find it unbelievable.

But yes, I do believe Reek's mind state is entirely feasible.

And I'm sure Reek doesn't feel anything for Ramsay at all, other than absolute fear, that is. He'll do or say anything Ramsay wants out of fear, nothing else.

• edited March 2015

Believe it or not people still have animal characteristics and can be tamed. Their resistance to being tamed is stronger though and delves into a deeper level of self preservation.

For instance just look at places like North Korea, part of their control is manly from torturing their people. Out of self preservation no North Korea citizen will dare defy their government. Even if they try to escape North Korea tries to track down their escapees and torment them and port them back into NK where more torture awaits them. To not go through with this self preservation kicks in and the people of North Korea give up their identities and become puppets of their government.

If a Non-fictional country can be subdued by torment and torture surly a single fictional character can be in the same way.

A Reek Scenario is very believable.

• There is a lot more to his torture than that. In the book he's a PoV character so we can see in his head and he barely even thinks about that.

Green613 posted: »

What do you mean by "the Reek treatment"? If you mean by cutting off a mans ween so they will be so incredibly broken that they'll actually believe you're their almighty master, then YES.

• For SCIENCE!

Wait let me try on one of my personal prisoners

Sign in to comment in this discussion.