What are your thoughts on the Episode 3 Trailer?

2»

Comments

• The trailer was awesome and I can't wait to play it. I'm replaying Episode 2 right now and looking back at the trailer it seems that the Lost Legion has caught up with Asher, Malcom, and Bheska. My question is, will Tazal return if you chose to spare him? I chose to just bust his knee

• He looks a bit like...

Alt text

And what about your lord Gryff?

• @1 it is completly unreasonable. In a mediavel culture even the knights could barely ever read. A lowborn squire, son of a pigfarmer - no way. In fact the noble born ladies could read. They were teached since they didn't had much else to do anyway. So yes Mira can read. That is very reasonable.

@2 yeah exactly. The maester would definitly read it. And than burn the letter and punish Gared for presumed desertation. There is no privacy of correspondence in this world. As you write it: this would be a very, very big plothole if the postman would ring for Gared.

1) As Lord Forrester's squire for several years, it's not unreasonable for Gared to have learnt to read. 2) Mira sends and receives ravens f

• This trailer makes me want to punch Whitehills in the face.

Alt text

• The trailer is sick, hopefully the episode lives up to the expectations.

• Just occurred to me--Gryff is actually this Altmer from Skyrim

Alt text

I'm wise to your game, Telltale...

ranger563 posted: »

Gryff Whitehill sounds like he's 14 and looks like he's 40.

• It's Lucius.

Alt text

Churned posted: »

He looks a bit like...

• Alright, a few thoughts of mine based on the trailer and what is to come:

First, what if Duncan shows up at the Wall, because Ironrath has been destroyed? So this scenes with Gared and Duncan will take place at the end of Episode 3.

Gryff Whitehill claims Ironrath and things get more and more tensioned. The Forresters lack the millitary strength to be a serious threat to the Whitehills, though they cannot live under the same roof (as Lady Forrester has already said twice). The first who will snap is Ser Royland, whose well known temper will get himself killed. In the emerging chaos Duncan will flee for the Wall to inform Gared that he must head for the North Grove. Gryff puts most of Ironrath to the torch. Rodrik will probably be killed as well. Lady Forrester will be another major loss to the family. Talia will become a hostage just like Ryon.

This way the story can mostly focus on Gared (find the North Grove that may restore House Forrester to some of its former glory) and Asher (return to Westeros with a small army to attack the Whitehills and reclaim Ironrath). Besides that Mira may be of influence, though I find it difficult to predict her story. However, I think she will probably end up death as well (by episode 5 or 6).

To me Asher and Gared are the most likely to survive, though Asher and Rodrik could swap places. Gared's story is important for the end game (North Grove) and Mira is just doing way too much dangerous stuff for a handmaiden (but she may linger around for a few more episodes so we get more of Tyrion, Cersei and Margaery). And I don't see Rodrik and Asher survive together (if Asher would return to Ironrath and Rodrik is still there, who would be the POV?).

For now I think one POV character will die in episode 3, as episode showed us that it is difficult to really move the plot forward with four POV's at the same time. And although I really enjoyed E2, things have to start rolling a little faster to keep everyone at the edge of their seat. So if I had to bet, I would put my money on Rodrik not seeing the end of the coming episode.

The Sword in the Darkness... maybe a reference to some upcoming assassination as well?

• edited March 2015

D00d "The Sword in the Darkness" is one of the Night's Watch oaths.

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

• Of course I know that, I have read the books as well.

But I think the episode titles are kind of ambigious (e.g. The Lost Lords referring to Gregor, Ethan, Rodrik and maybe even Asher). So I think this title has more than one meaning as well. One of them is the Night's Watch oath, which Gared is going to swear. But it might also refer to other murder(s).

• Plus in the trailer Gared is actually seen fighting someone on top of the wall, in the dark. A literal sword in the darkness.

YoungWolf91 posted: »

Of course I know that, I have read the books as well. But I think the episode titles are kind of ambigious (e.g. The Lost Lords referring

• edited March 2015

Bigger than Rodrik surviving several weeks unconscious on a corpse cart? Or the fact that both he and Gared somehow make it back to the North from the Twins even though the only way through is blocked by the Ironborn at Moat Cailin. Or Malcolm making it from Ironrath to Meereen in the blink of an eye (a trip that would take weeks if not months). Or the fact that they apparently waited that long to burn Ethan's body, but it had barely started to decay. Or the fact that the Whitehills are Bolton bannermen despite presumably living on Glover land that's nowhere near the Dreadfort. Those a very big plotholes, not this.

Maester Aemon is clearly not the punishing type, and also blind for that matter, so he definitely wouldn't be 'reading' anything, although he'd have things read to him.

Not to mention, people aren't being terribly imaginative as to how this scenario could play out alternatively with Duncan not needing to go all the way to the wall. I mean, of course he wouldn't write 'Gared, desert the wall' in a letter, they've only got him saying that because they're meeting in person. But the information Duncan needs to relay at this part of the story could easily happen without him popping in for a visit. For instance:

Dear Gared,

As I mentioned in episode 1, Lord Gregor's uncle was a ranger in the Night's Watch. I believe his journal is still in the vaults under Castle Black. Things are going to pot at Ironrath.

Love and kisses, Duncan

Gared reads it, or someone reads it to him if you want to be pedantic, and then Gared's like 'well, better go find this journal, then'. He does and it has a map to the North Grove and instructions about what it is and how to find it hidden inside. Problem solved and Duncan is free to stay and help Rodrik like he's supposed to.

@1 it is completly unreasonable. In a mediavel culture even the knights could barely ever read. A lowborn squire, son of a pigfarmer - no wa

Sign in to comment in this discussion.