The Face of a Traitor (New Theory)

Alt text

Clues

1. Where was he when Ethan was killed?

2. Gywn chooses to meet you. So you and DUNCAN ride, she says that no one knew she was coming. All of a sudden you hear men riding towards you, she suspects they notice she was gone. But how? DUNCAN slipped word to the meeting.

3. Wanting Gared to be Ranger- He forces Gared to become a ranger basically. Sends him to the wall. Duncan was the only one who knew about the North Grove besides Rodrik. He doesn't want to take the black, so he sends Gared to go look for him. Remember when Gared is looking at the map with the necklace? He says "aye" like he knows all about this, like he wants Gared to find it for him. He is using Gared as a pawn.

4. Trying to put the blame on Ser Royland, a loyal man. Duncan hates Royland for being a master at arms and wants to convince everyone that he is crazy.

Did I miss out on any other clues?

Comments

• edited June 2015

Where was he when Ethan was killed?

Trying to put the blame on Ser Royland, a loyal man. Duncan hates Royland for being a master at arms and wants to convince everyone that he is crazy.

I'm assuming you made Royland your sentinel over Duncan? If you do the opposite, Duncan is actually there in Royland's stead when Ethan is killed. As for the way he treats Royland, they both treat each other pretty poorly. It kind of goes both ways with those two.

Wanting Gared to be Ranger- He forces Gared to become a ranger basically. Sends him to the wall. Duncan was the only one who knew about the North Grove besides Rodrik. He doesn't want to take the black, so he sends Gared to go look for him. Remember when Gared is looking at the map with the necklace? He says "aye" like he knows all about this, like he wants Gared to find it for him. He is using Gared as a pawn.

If Duncan is the traitor, why would he be so interested in finding the North Grove? Why would he be so interested in living out Lord Forrester's final request without even knowing anything about it himself? If Duncan does know what the North Grove is and wants Gared to find it for whatever reason, he would tell Gared what it is. It would be completely counter productive to withhold that information.

It doesn't seem to make sense that Duncan would be going so far out of his way to live out Lord Forrester's final wishes if he wasn't loyal to the Forrester's themselves. He would probably just tell Gared that the North Grove is a myth, or simply that he has no idea what the North Grove is at all.

Gywn chooses to meet you. So you and Duncan ride, she says that no one knew she was coming. All of a sudden you hear men riding towards you, she suspects they notice she was gone. But how? Duncan slipped word to the meeting.

If Duncan was wanting to break up the meeting between Gwyn and Rodrick, why would he have been so supportive of having the meeting to begin with? I'm pretty sure he was the one who set up the meeting in the first place...

• mhh I don't know... It's said that he was always loyal to the forrester family for years and all

Also, lord Gregor Forrester really trusted him and asked garred to tell only Duncan about the north grove. It would be curious that for years lord forrester trusted a traitor.

• Why would he betray his oldest friend (The one who helped him rise from a simple pig farmer to a castellan) and his children? why would he join the people who killed his brother, his niece and almost got his nephew? Duncan is probably the less likely to betrayal.

• Duncan is very trusted. Lord Forrester told Garred to only tell him about the North Grove for a reason

• That is just to obvious for Game of Thrones.

Leluch123 posted: »

In my opinion it's the Meister out of all of them he's the odd one. Both Dunacan and Royland are long time allies to the house

• In my opinion it's the Meister out of all of them he's the odd one. Both Dunacan and Royland are long time allies to the house

• Rodrik doesn't know about the North Grove, by the way.

Lord Forrester didn't even trust his own successor or direct family with that information, and yet trusted Duncan.

That guy is off the traitor list for me.

• Ok I am not saying Duncan is the traitor but I fail to see how Lord Forrester trusting him makes him above betrayal. We know next to nothing about Lord Forrester. And Duncan is an up jumped pig farmer. He is likely to be very cunning and manipulative.

Pride posted: »

Rodrik doesn't know about the North Grove, by the way. Lord Forrester didn't even trust his own successor or direct family with that information, and yet trusted Duncan. That guy is off the traitor list for me.

• My opinion as well. I trust him implicitly because Lord Forrester did. Has nothing to do with the fact that he is my uncle.

Lord Forrester could have had us tell his wife, any of his children, Sir Royland, the Maester or even all of them. But he didn't, he said ONLY Duncan. There must have been a reason why he didn't trust his Family members with this secret that will supposedly save their House.

Rodrik doesn't know about the North Grove, by the way. Lord Forrester didn't even trust his own successor or direct family with that information, and yet trusted Duncan. That guy is off the traitor list for me.

• I think it was for safety. His Children all have the key to solve the map and when
    Lord Forrester told Garred to say "the North Grove must never be lost" Duncan knew that he had to do something about it.

Duncan seems surprised as the realised that the Forrester Keychain is a Key. So Lord Forrester planned to have Duncan and them working together to find it, I think.

Arya_Stupid posted: »

My opinion as well. I trust him implicitly because Lord Forrester did. Has nothing to do with the fact that he is my uncle. Lord Forreste

• I do have to say, now that I think about it. Duncan SET UP the meeting with Gwyn! He has been in contact with Whitehills and never let Rodrick know about it. That is very suspicious. However he is really loyal to the house. This is so tough. I honestly dont believe the traitor is him but very possible now.

• He is your Sentinel, how the fuck it's suspicious?

E2Saint posted: »

I do have to say, now that I think about it. Duncan SET UP the meeting with Gwyn! He has been in contact with Whitehills and never let Rodr

• Actually, Royland is my sentinel. I wouldn't ever choose duncan, due to the fact that you need an army quickly and Royland has a fantastic military background. Also, its suspicious because hes talking to your sworn enemies!!! Gwyn isnt bad but he is none the less communicating somehow. I doubt its him BUT at least theres a little evidence towards him.

Gapaot posted: »

He is your Sentinel, how the fuck it's suspicious?

• 1.If you choose Duncan as the sentinel ,Royland is not in the hall and i think it is only anger for for a while
    2.Duncan was a castellan and often sentinel + he gave Rodrik a dagger .Imo ,Royland is the warrior and Duncan is very smart ,if they only co-operated it would be great.He had no reasons to betray i suppose ,he cares about safety of forresters and their household.He rised from farmer to castellan and he also owes somethimg to Forresters ,because of Gregor
    3 .He sent Gared to the wall before Gared told him about The North Grove.He said aye,but what does it mean .It is like :yes ,etc.
    4.Both are jealous of each other

• Just tired of persuading that Duncan the traitor makes no sense.

nice gifbait

• lol I suspect my mom :P

Belan posted: »

Where was he when Ethan was killed? Trying to put the blame on Ser Royland, a loyal man. Duncan hates Royland for being a master at a

• so is it possibly the mother? Just like in the show, the mom isn't a traitor per se, but is so worried about her son that she goes behind her son's back to try and strike a deal to save her boy. We've been watching her expressions closely.......

• edited March 2015

To be fair, Gared kind of tells Gregor that Rodrik died at the red wedding. So of course he wouldn't ask Gared to tell him.

When Gregor thinks about who to tell the secret to, he basically has Royland / His wife / Duncan / Ethan / Maester.

Royland... I don't think he would even believe in the stories about the North Grove, he'd just think it's a superstition or something coming from a man on the verge of dying. Besides, Gregor probably knew his personality quite well, he wasn't a good choice to be honest.

His wife, well, I dunno why he didn't trust her actually, but maybe he felt that with the losses of both Rodrik and himself she'd be too overcome with grief to do anything. No idea, that sure is a bit suspicious.

Ethan & Talia ? Way too young, Gregor probably thought that Ethan would have already MUCH on his hands, being the new lord and all.

The Maester ? Come on, he's just a Maester, what the heck would he be able to do with that information ? Nothing.

That leaves... Duncan.

Of course I also believe that Gregor trusted Duncan, I'm just saying that, at the time Gregor made the request, it's not like he really had much choice when you think about it.

• The best case that it is Duncan is that Britt was sent to the wall. Before that it was obvious the Lord Whitehill had no problem with what Britt had done, he even made a point of it in the first game that he considered House Forrester in the wrong. It's obvious that there was no need to punish him.

Now though after checking up on his nephew to see if he would do as he wanted (find the North Grove) Duncan decided to make sure that Gared's loyalty wasn't to the Night Watch. In order to do this he had Lord Whitehill send Britt to the wall, knowing full well that Gared would likely face him one way or another for killing his father, and therefor would likely cause trouble between Gared and the Night Watch. Once Gared's bond with the Night Watch is broken completely their would be nothing stopping him from falling back to his only over salvation, House Forrester, and he would then continue on the quest for the North Grove.

Duncan likely believes that great power one way or another exist in the North Grove. If he is the traitor he likely wants control of it a a bargaining chip for himself one way or another.

• edited March 2015

I disagree.
    I'm leaning more toward Royland. The Measter is suspect but it feels far too obvious, like he's a red herring and they've purposely made him seem shifty and too interested in just handing over the iron wood. Royland stands out more when I re-played episode 3 again.

1- (This one is purely opinion) He seems loyal in 1, less so in 2 and even less in 3. I think him becoming a spy happened between episodes, him seeing the house falling made him question his loyalty.

2- When you decide your plan against the Whitehills he is the first to leave. As soon as it's set he scurries off. To send a raven mayhaps?

3- He allows Gryff to bully Talia and holds back when he attacks Roderik no matter if he was sentinel or not. Duncan tries to stop him against Talia when sentinel, but also tells Roderik to stay down to avoid getting hurt. Why suddenly does Royland give less shits?

Adding on to 3, in previous epsisdoes he seemed very eager to stop the Whitehills and ready to stand against them (like refusing them food). Suddenly he seems to stand back. That just seems strange to me, the man who was so ready to ready troops and intimidate god damn Ramsey wouldn't say a word against Gryff?

• Last I knew, only Maesters could send ravens but still very good points. Now im questioning Royland a little. I feel like its not him but loyalty can waver, just look at Theon haha. But otherwise good points. I hope it isnt him however since he's my sentinel and I need him to help the house

• Oop, I meant to just put message. But eh, if he is a spy it might not be too out of it that they arranged a raven for him. Faster way of sending information to them.
    Yeah he's my sentinel too on my proper run through, but while replaying I felt like they were subtle hints to him.

• After 2 1/2 playthrough I feel like that's the same for every character little bit depending on your choices.
    For me Royland is the least likeable to do so. I always thought it was the maester, after reading a little while on the forum made me thinking Elissa. When I replayed with Duncan as Sentinel, the "dog" thing from Gryff was so strange, that I suspected him :D

Miny77 posted: »

Oop, I meant to just put message. But eh, if he is a spy it might not be too out of it that they arranged a raven for him. Faster way of sen

• I think it may well be Ortengryn, he has easiest access to communications and is bound in service to the castle, presumably meaning that he has to assist both the Forresters and Whitehill garrison. To me however, the most interesting thing is who are sending money to in King's Landing. My guess would be Sera, as Morgryn simply seems like a shrewd business man who knows how to pick a potentially smart partner.

• However, I do wonder if Britt was sent to the Wall to spy on Gared. Not that it matters really now, but if so it would point to Duncan as he would be the only one to know of North Grove and tell the Whitehills of it

• There being no clear spy makes it more interesting, haha.
    I also thought Elissa a little at first.

Dalek93 posted: »

After 2 1/2 playthrough I feel like that's the same for every character little bit depending on your choices. For me Royland is the least

• Unless... they expect you to think that, and then it's not obvious, just sneaky.

unseenclass posted: »

That is just to obvious for Game of Thrones.

• edited March 2015

I would say it's either the Maester or Lady Forrester

Gregor seems to have been very close to Duncan, and I doubt he would've divulged important information like the North Grove to someone whom he didn't trust. Royland seems to absolutely despise the Whitehills; I believe he would rather kill them all than make a deal. That leaves the maester or Lady Forrester.

Lady Forrester has been known to go behind her sons backs to get what she wants; her main priority being the safety of her family over the welfare of her House. She may be making poor choices with the best of intentions here if it means she can get Ryon back unharmed. The Maester is the one we know least about, speaks the least in council meetings, and was the first to recommend just handing over the ironwood to the Whitehills. He says he's grown fond of the Forresters, but other than being assigned to them, he really has no ties to them and may just be trying to save his own ass if shit hits the fan. This may be too obvious of a route for them to take, though. Who knows, it might be Royland or Duncan.

• Of course, Gwyn could just be fucking with us all

• She knows whatever you choose. That's either a damn lucky gues, ultra-proof or a poor design decision. We'll see :D

redmilo92 posted: »

Of course, Gwyn could just be fucking with us all

• Yes I thought of this as well. They could be lying, and want to cause corruption within our own house so we destroy ourselves.

Of course, Gwyn could just be fucking with us all

• I was thinking this.. its obviously not duncan imo.. Royland seems very loyal and will fight for you..

Which leaves the maester and mum.. why would the maester be a rat?

The mum has probably been told to spill any secrets to keep her boy safe

MelVee posted: »

so is it possibly the mother? Just like in the show, the mom isn't a traitor per se, but is so worried about her son that she goes behind her son's back to try and strike a deal to save her boy. We've been watching her expressions closely.......

• Lady forrester betraying her son to protect her other child is all very simlar to Catylen betraying Robb in GOT..

I really think it is her.. I didnt tell her about the traitor anyway

• edited March 2015

Part of me still suspects him too, but it just feels too obvious I hope they don't go with him. I thought he was shifty in episode 1, it'd be meh if it was him.

I think it may well be Ortengryn, he has easiest access to communications and is bound in service to the castle, presumably meaning that he

• Why? Because it's game of thrones...

Drakonys posted: »

Why would he betray his oldest friend (The one who helped him rise from a simple pig farmer to a castellan) and his children? why would he j

• Dunkan is doubtful.Why He didn't say anything about North Grove? And why He is present everywhere? But Measter looks like more doubtful.

• Sometimes what's "too obvious" is the actual truth lol yeah. I definitely think it's the Maester.

Unless... they expect you to think that, and then it's not obvious, just sneaky.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.