The Face of a Traitor (New Theory)

Comments

• edited March 2015

Royland is a man of honor. I would never suspect him

• The mother being the traitor doesn't really make sense to me. They came together for a meeting where it was concluded (for me) that we would aim to save Ryon rather than expel Gryff. If her number one priority is her family, irrespective of what happens to her house, then this plan is what she would favour most anyway, why would she then go running to the Whitehill's to feed them the information that the plan is to save Ryon and hinder the plan to bring her son home?

• How can anyone doubt that fluffy beard.

• edited March 2015

I honestly think it's the Maester because originally I thought he was fine, but then there were the choices to drink or not to drink the milk of the poppy which kind of made him suspicious, unless that choice meant an entirely different thing like speaking with your mother..... Anyway, I think it's him because he wasn't present when Ethan was murdered nor when the funeral took place. Furthermore, I think it's the Maester because 1. Why would your mother be a traitor to the Whitehills in the first place? 2. Duncan seems pretty loyal as Gregor put his trust in only Gared and Duncan to find the North Grove. 3. Ser Royland seems pretty content to kill any Whitehill he can............ Which leaves the Maester as the only other suspect. Also, the Maester has access to the ravens

• That's valid

SpiderPig posted: »

Why? Because it's game of thrones...

• The majority of us think it's Lady Forrester or the Maester. Now Telltale's going to see this and change everything.

• Maester Ortengryn is shady af. I won't trust him. He's been too quiet lately. I see ya, you grey mouse you.

Alt text

I told Lady Forrester what's up though. If it's her, she knows I'm on her so she better get her stuff together. If it isn't her, then I trusted my mother.

• edited March 2015

I don't know but I trust the small council. How can Gwyn be so sure there's a traitor without actually knowing who it is? Why would she know about the actual information that was passed on to her father but have no details whatsoever on who gathered it. Also, why is she helping Rodrik? "No more bloodshed, blah blah insert sentimental drivel" Nuh-uh, way too convenient. I have faith in my small council. Small council ftw!

It'll probably bite me in the butt later.

• The information she has had to come from somewhere. For example, the information she has on whether you decided to save little Forrester or expel Gryff, that was discussed ONLY amongst the members of the Council. If she knows, the information had to come from one of them.

rousseau posted: »

I don't know but I trust the small council. How can Gwyn be so sure there's a traitor without actually knowing who it is? Why would she know

• edited March 2015

Somebody could have overheard them talking. They were in a forest with a castle full of Whitehill men nearby. If I were Gryff I wouldn't let them wander off to conspire without sending someone after them.

The information she has had to come from somewhere. For example, the information she has on whether you decided to save little Forrester or

• Look at this face.

Alt text

He does this throughout every scene he is in. It might seem like a cop out. But when you tell Elissa about a traitor and say the maester she points out the non-sentinel as traitor.

OH MAN.

• The fact that Duncan was Gregors trusted man, is reason in itself for me to think he's the traitor. Because we automatically trust him. When maybe he's the last one we should trust...

• edited March 2015

So what do we know about all the small council members?

Ser Royland:

Loyal warrior who always favors a fight (and that's what the Whitehill's want right?). If he wasn't chosen sentinel he will answer for his absence by saying he was guarding the Bolton soldiers. The same Bolton soldiers that came through the gate, or others? It's kind of vague, bit it might be a clue. Furthermore in Episode 3, if you stand up to Gryff and choose to let Royland fight, the Whithill soldiers don't seem convinced he will actually touch them.. it might be a small clue, but still. As a whole I don't think it's Royland, he's the honorable warrior/Ned Stark type. Those guys usually aren't known for their scheming.

Duncan Tuttle:

He was the ONLY ONE that Ser Gregor trusted with the North Grove secret. Gwynn Whitehill knows everything, except the part of the North Grove. It could rule him out, or Gwynn decided not to tell that part.. Besides that, why would Duncan work with/for the same people that killed his familymembers and got his nephew 'the son he never had' to the Wall? What's in it for him? Could he be that selfish? He is the Castellan and often the Sentinel, what could he gain from betrayal?

He does seem to speak with Gwynn Whitehill behind your back + when stepping up to Gryff and defending Duncan as Rodrik, Gryff literally says: 'You think he's your dog, but he's mine'. Might mean nothing, but it could be a little clue.

Lady Forrester:

Who would'nt protect their children? She has already been through a lot in her life, saw her own house be destroyed etc. Besides that she seems to favor the least aggressive approach every single time.

But then again, if you didn't kiss Whithill's ring as Rodrik, she will basically say Rodrik needs to be ruthless and kill all the Whitehills down to the babes in their beds.. How can you achieve that by telling the enemy everything you know? Maybe she's thinking of the bigger picture? --> Asher's not nearly in Westeros with his army, Glenmore army not fighting for Rodrik untill the wedding etc. Could be she wants the Forresters to fight the battles with the Whithills only when they are ready..

Maester Ortengryn:

Could it be that obvious? He's only been working for the Forresters a relative short time. When dealing with the Boltons he suggests giving them Ironwood, basically your only leverage. Besides that he's quite nosy about what Lord Gregor said etc. But then again, what would he gain from working with the Whitehills? There's a scene when playing as Ethan that might give a little hint. If you ask what's his perspective (sentinel stuff) he will say: 'I'm admiring the Ironwood my Lord, I studied it at the Citadel. The wood may be black, but I see gold. An entire forest of gold'. Could be he's into money and just wants to serve whoever controls the Ironwood?

He's only a maester, but that also means he controls the ravens...

If it was a bet, I would go with the Maester.

If anyone has an opinion about this or something to add, go right ahead. Could be I'm dead wrong and it's the person that isn't chosen as Sentinel..

• Haha true that, you need to watch the scene where you decide to save Ryon or to Expel Gryff. He's paying A LOT of attention to what everybody's saying.

Look at this face. He does this throughout every scene he is in. It might seem like a cop out. But when you tell Elissa about a traitor and say the maester she points out the non-sentinel as traitor. OH MAN.

• 2 options im:Maester or non-sentinel .One of them opened the gate in 1st episode.For me it's rather maester.Some people say it is obvious ,but look Damien ,for me he was suspicious ,from the 1st time i saw him.

• At first I thought it had to be the Maester but the Lady Forrester theory seems possible. Duncan is a possibility too but I don't think it's him.

• The fact that Gwyn said the spy had extensive knowledge about Rodrik's injuries points to Ortengryn, but like many said it seems a bit too obvious for GOT.

• I feel like you are right. Havent seen or read thrones,but seems like Ive read this in like Hamlet or something. Cant recall Ive slept since then. lolz

MelVee posted: »

so is it possibly the mother? Just like in the show, the mom isn't a traitor per se, but is so worried about her son that she goes behind her son's back to try and strike a deal to save her boy. We've been watching her expressions closely.......

• Twists aren't really a major trope for Game of Thrones. It's more about painting clues in the background that certain characters are not privy to and/or are unable to see. Both Duncan and Royland fit this mold.

unseenclass posted: »

That is just to obvious for Game of Thrones.

• In my playthrough, Gryff says that, ''Oh, I like him. You thought this was your man, Rodrick? He's mine. A dog to be sure, but my dog.''

Duncan IS the traitor.

• Well ,it worries me ,but there Duncan stood in defemce of Talia and i think Gryf just feels like everyone who says something good about him even if it is obvious that someone is lying he feels like a boss.

• ''No one questions your authority, Gryff. You have the power.''

''Stay down, my Lord.''

''Aye, a true Lord.''

I am still unconvinced that Duncan is not a traitor. He was very, very shady at the Wall as well, watching over Gared's shoulder instead of watching out for anyone else finding out about the North Grove. Likewise, Britt was at the Wall. Why would a man loyal to his House doing his Lord's work be sent to the Wall if not to kill the only person capable of finding the North Grove? (Excluding plot hooks/devices.)

Well ,it worries me ,but there Duncan stood in defemce of Talia and i think Gryf just feels like everyone who says something good about him even if it is obvious that someone is lying he feels like a boss.

• edited March 2015

Gregor may not have trusted the maester too. There was a sequence of choices I made in one of my later playthroughs that made me more suspicious of the maester.

*Reveal North Grove secret to Maester Ortengryn when he's binding Gared's leg (and/or Lady Forrester when given the chance).

*Meet Duncan in the stables and tell him the secret.

*Duncan asks Gared if he told anyone else about Gregor's last words.

*You're honest and admit, yes, you did reveal it to the maester and/or Lady Forrester.

*Duncan expresses dismay at Gared revealing this secret to the maester (yet, he doesn't really care about Lady Forrester knowing) and implies that he doesn't trust him with that information.

So, clearly, Duncan does not find Maester Ortengryn trustworthy and I would assume that maybe Gregor felt the same way.

Byakuren posted: »

To be fair, Gared kind of tells Gregor that Rodrik died at the red wedding. So of course he wouldn't ask Gared to tell him. When Gregor t

• That's the spirit! Have faith! Know, who your allies are, know who your enemies are. As for me, big surprise, have my eyes on Lady Forrester. Duncan and Royland seem ready to lay their lives on the line to serve House Forrester with honor and Ortengryn seems like he takes his oath he made at the Citadelle seriously. The Lady however appears to be emotionally unstable after her husband's death at times. She's desperate to keep her children alive and I think Ludd Whitehill knew that and took advantage of that.

rousseau posted: »

I don't know but I trust the small council. How can Gwyn be so sure there's a traitor without actually knowing who it is? Why would she know

• it could be Maester because he asks ethan to sell the whole ironwoods to the whitehills during the meeting.

• it could be Maester because he asks ethan to sell the whole ironwoods to the whitehills during the meeting.

• I did think it was odd that Griff suddenly came to the wall, shortly after the conversation with Duncan where he and Gared share clues about the North Grove (and long after Griff had murdered Gared's family and the Whitehills rose to power). It seems possible to me that Duncan shared what he had learned from Gared with the Whitehills, and Griff was then sent to the wall either to spy on Gared and seize the North Grove after Gared found it, or murder him, take the map and locket, and find it himself.

All of that said, I think the traitor is probably the maester. Duncan lost as much as anyone to the Whitehills, he was apparently Lord Forrester's most trusted advisor, and so far as we can tell at this point, he hasn't divulged the secret of the North Grove to anyone. On the other hand, we know comparatively little about the maester, he seems to view the ironwood as a means of creating vast wealth, and at one point he suggests that you give over all of your ironwood to the Whitehills/Boltons as a way of maintaining the peace.

• edited March 2015

I would agree but what would a maester need with power or gold? They can't use it since maesters are the equivalent of Catholic monks, so they can't hold land from what I know. below are GoT Wiki info about the Maester Order. Anythin in italic is my own thoughts on something.

''Maesters are expected to eschew their familial background and political allegiances. They drop their family name when they join the order. They are assigned to serve at castles and holdfasts throughout the Seven Kingdoms and are bound by their vows to serve whoever holds the castle in which they reside, regardless of changes in lordship. It is not considered a breach of their vows if a maester advises the current lord of their castle in military matters to defeat their enemies, but if their lord is defeated by his enemies and possession of the castle officially changes hands, the maester is expected to serve its new lord.''

''Similar to the Night's Watch, the Order of Maesters is an egalitarian institution whose members must ignore their past family and political ties, give up their right to inheritance, and take an oath of celibacy. (Pycelle would think otherwise.) Thus, like the Night's Watch, younger sons or bastard sons are often made to join the maesters, so as not to interfere with the inheritance of firstborn and/or legitimate sons.''

''Maesters in Westeros basically serve many of the functions that Christian monks did in real-life medieval society, being lore-masters and advisors to noble families, who are mostly responsible for promoting literature culture, and who provide many of the writing services with letters or books that real-life Christian monks or clergymen would in a medieval chancery.''

So that's what I got to support that the maester couldn't be the traitor. He could, but I don't see any reason to do so.

rfahey22 posted: »

I did think it was odd that Griff suddenly came to the wall, shortly after the conversation with Duncan where he and Gared share clues about

• 1 - Depending on who you choose as sentinel, depends on who is there when Ethan gets killed. For me, Duncan was there.

2 - How did he slip word of this meeting, and even if he did so wouldn't he have chosen a more efficient way to stop it? I mean, he could have had whitehill soldiers waiting for Rodrik and Gwyn rather than chase them later, AFTER Gwyn gives Rodrik information?

3 - He is the castellan, his job is at Ironrath, not at the black. Furthermore Gared was only sent to the wall because Gregor told him about the North Grove and because he had to get away from the Whitehills who murdered his family.

4 - Duncan and Royland may disagree, but I bet you they both like each other and will make amends when Forrester rises again.

It's not Duncan or Royland. It's most likely the maester.

• If it is Royland I'll be very depressed.

• He may do this for his safety.I must remind that he's a young maester more likely to be a traitor.
    I'll get depressed if it will be Duncan or Royland

Barthanax posted: »

I would agree but what would a maester need with power or gold? They can't use it since maesters are the equivalent of Catholic monks, so th

• As hard as it may be to say this (and quite doubtful) what about the mother? She is very shady and going Catlynn Stark on everybody.

He may do this for his safety.I must remind that he's a young maester more likely to be a traitor. I'll get depressed if it will be Duncan or Royland

• I just thought about something... what if Lord Whitehill and his son Gryff dont really know about Rodrik's plan to either free Ryon or liberate Ironrath? What if it's just a scheme made between Gwyn and Duncan? They both want peace for their houses and they both like taking the initiative (sending Garred to the Wall, sending him to search the north Grove, telling Rodrick how his brother Ryon is, setting up the secret meeting). Another important thing to me is that nobody in the council seems actually a traitor but the Maester and him being the traitor would be too obvious... If this was to be true Duncan wouldnt really be a traitor IMO. Dont know, maybe someone already thought about it? What you guys think? It could be pretty interresting to see...

• For me it's the person who opened the gate.For me it's nearly impossible that she opened the gate for these soldiers

Barthanax posted: »

As hard as it may be to say this (and quite doubtful) what about the mother? She is very shady and going Catlynn Stark on everybody.

• Maybe whatever is at North Grove is more important than any one house.

Duncan might be the traitor, but doing it out of loyalty to Lord Forrester.

So... Lord Forrester is the traitor. :)

• It sounds kinda crazy but I kinda agree with this... Duncan could be the traitor. I have the most info here:

But basically Duncan received a letter from Highpoint and shows it to Rodrick even after there was no way for someone to enter Ironrath and all of the ravens were killed.

• edited June 2015

Um... To stop the traitor from letting Ludd know about Gryff being captured, they killed all of the Forrester's ravens, not literally all of the ravens in the Westeros. Ludd would still have ravens of his own at Highpoint to send a message to Ironrath with.

It sounds kinda crazy but I kinda agree with this... Duncan could be the traitor. I have the most info here: But basically Duncan receiv

• I don't know but he has a secret from Lord Forrester. If he is a traiotor it will be bad for Forresters. But i don't think he is. I think the traitor is Measter. Because he is far away from everything and he is just watching everyone. But maybe the traitor can be his mother. She wants to save Ryon. Ludd could threat his mother for Ryon. We don't know. But i wonder it.

• Well I think its Maester as well, he was in Citadel and after epsiode 4 we learned that one of Gwynn brothers (Ludd Whitehill son) was also there.
    If its not him, I believe he met him there and now he is helping Whitehills.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.