W&G newbie

edited May 2011 in Wallace & Gromit
Just played Flight Of The Bumblebee, and I have mixed feelings.

Let me get one thing off my chest right now - the control scheme is horrendous - I cannot fathom why Telltale could not stick to S&M's perfect style.

To the game itself - I think it's well done, and the graphics and sound cannot be faulted, but somehow I think this particular type of entertainment is better passive i.e. watched on TV.

S&M and TOMI are great but here something is lost in translation.

Comments

• edited August 2009
    manicm wrote: »
    Let me get one thing off my chest right now - the control scheme is horrendous - I cannot fathom why Telltale could not stick to S&M's perfect style.
    Bad news then: It seems like all their new releases (including S&M3) will use a similar control scheme now...
  • edited August 2009
    manicm wrote: »
    Just played Flight Of The Bumblebee, and I have mixed feelings.

Maybe it has something to do with accommodating consoles? They can't point and click everywhere.

Also they say the Direct Control allows for scenes where you can't see the floor and more cinematic camera movement. I like the camera movement. It's like a Wallace and Gromit animation on TV. I don't actually have any problems with the control scheme. Keyboard or mouse, as long as it does what I want, it's OK with me.

I think they have improved on it with the Tales of Monkey Island Control scheme by adding mouse drag movement.
  • edited August 2009
    Bad news then: It seems like all their new releases (including S&M3) will use a similar control scheme now...

Really? Well I could *just* live with TOMI but if all their new games will use this then it's the end of the line for me.

I refuse to use the keyboard in the 21st century for an adventure game.
  • edited August 2009
    Actually I personally think W&G plays best with a gamepad only or with the gamepad in the left hand and the mouse in the right hand. It did not have the mouse drag controls TOMI has.
  • edited August 2009
    werpu wrote: »
    Actually I personally think W&G plays best with a gamepad only or with the gamepad in the left hand and the mouse in the right hand. It did not have the mouse drag controls TOMI has.

So in effect what all are implicitly implying on this thread is that Telltale will optimise the controls for consoles and not for PC gamers like myself.

That would be a serious, possibly fatal compromise. It seems none of you here have played the PC version - play it and you'll discover how truly awful it is.
  • edited August 2009
    Huh? I played with the PC controls the whole way through. Granted, the Tales direct control is a HUGE step ahead of the Wallace and Gromit control scheme, but W&G is still quite playable.
  • edited August 2009
    It doesn't matter actually, maybe I'm just not engaged by the game really. I've posted elsewhere on this but I'd rather watch this than play it - the game is very polished and well presented but somehow does not gel in the translation from tv to interactive entertainment.
  • edited September 2010
    Maybe it has something to do with accommodating consoles? They can't point and click everywhere.

Also they say the Direct Control allows for scenes where you can't see the floor and more cinematic camera movement. I like the camera movement. It's like a Wallace and Gromit animation on TV. I don't actually have any problems with the control scheme. Keyboard or mouse, as long as it does what I want, it's OK with me.

I think they have improved on it with the Tales of Monkey Island Control scheme by adding mouse drag movement.

they really needed mouse drag movements here as well, i wanted to use just the mouse but was forced to use the keyboard too.
  • edited September 2010
    i hated how you cant control what they say
  • edited May 2011
    seibert999 wrote: »
    i hated how you cant control what they say

That bugged me as well. I suppose it's cos Gromit has nothing to say and Wallace wouldn't deviate from what he needs.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.