Gwyn's accent.....

I mean seriously, it's god-awful. My ears are having a serious problem tuning into what she's saying, it's some really poor voice acting and I'm surprised whoever this actress is managed to get that role.
It's like American-Australian and some bad Yorkshire impression all at once.
Is there a shortage of English actors over there?

Comments

• it's some really poor voice acting

HOW DARE YOU TALK ABOUT LAURA BAILEY LIKE THAT, SHAME ON YOU

• Alt text

Fiona is surprised.

• I'm guessing the both of you are American?

• edited March 2015

I am, I dunno about Poogs though. I don't see what that has anything to do with this though, lol.

I'm guessing the both of you are American?

• Yeah, but that really doesn't have anything to do with it

I'm guessing the both of you are American?

• Erm, it kinda does in that you can't seem to tell how bad it is. You both being American, that makes sense.

Poogers555 posted: »

Yeah, but that really doesn't have anything to do with it

• I don't see what's annoying about her voice whatsoever. I've never seen anybody think it's bad. It sounds completely fine.

• Her "English" accent is anything but English would be the main problem there.

I don't see what's annoying about her voice whatsoever. I've never seen anybody think it's bad. It sounds completely fine.

• That actually makes no sense at all.

Erm, it kinda does in that you can't seem to tell how bad it is. You both being American, that makes sense.

• Being American = Not being able to tell if an accent is bad

Erm, it kinda does in that you can't seem to tell how bad it is. You both being American, that makes sense.

• It's an accent. Who cares? Contrary to popular belief, Westerosi does not equal English.

• Thank you! I was about to say that!

It's an accent. Who cares? Contrary to popular belief, Westerosi does not equal English.

• edited March 2015

Then I'm amazed at how something so simple Is lost on you. You're telling me a person who lives thousands of miles away could tell the difference in dialects in the region of a country......for example would you be able to tell the difference between a Liverpool and Manchester accent?

That actually makes no sense at all.

• edited March 2015

It's a really bad impersonation.

Who cares? I'm sure you'd care if everyone started speaking in a Texan accent lol.

It's an accent. Who cares? Contrary to popular belief, Westerosi does not equal English.

• Ha, and I love how you went and got so defensive about it. My point was that you can't seem to tell what an authentic accent sounds like. My guess was that you weren't from anywhere near the country, and surprise, I was right.

Poogers555 posted: »

Being American = Not being able to tell if an accent is bad

• God knows I've had to listen to enough bad mid-Atlantic accents that were supposed to be "American."

It's a really bad impersonation. Who cares? I'm sure you'd care if everyone started speaking in a Texan accent lol.

• Yeah. I love Laura Bailey, but...her impression of the accent is not very refined, that's for sure.

• I don't see a problem really for two reasons.

1. I believe her accent/voice acting to be perfectly fine and in line for the game.
    2. Westeros is a huge conglomerate of many different people. Each area of the seven kingdoms have different accents, even different Houses have different sounding dialects. It all depends on lineage and history. We hear different accents and tones all the time in our actual lives. It's not hard to believe that some of the characters will sounds different, even from their family on occasion. I honestly believe Gwyn's voice falls in well with her families. It might be harder to understand considering the rest of the Whitehills are males and tend to yell a lot and we don't get the full effect of their own unique voices.
  • It sounds like she's confusing Northern English with Australian :P

• @kh4l33si

^ What he said

JakeSt123 posted: »

It sounds like she's confusing Northern English with Australian :P

• edited March 2015

You don't have to be from a specific part of the world to identify accents, though?
    For example, theater students on the regular are studying varying accents from the same part of the world. When my school put on a performance of Oliver Twist they'd had to actually study the difference between Yorkshire accents and Cockney accents (I think, anyways? I wasn't part of the specific production? But I know Cockney was one of them.) Or even! Many American's travel or live in different countries on the regular, giving them an idea of the accents in that particular area.
    Some accents are incredibly specific to small towns of countries, but with modern theater/television/ect it's not really this huge thing that's worth petty attacks?
    Unless there's a major in it (which there is) you shouldn't belittle people regardless if they're right or wrong.

Ha, and I love how you went and got so defensive about it. My point was that you can't seem to tell what an authentic accent sounds like. My guess was that you weren't from anywhere near the country, and surprise, I was right.

• Literally 0 idea why you tagged me in this comment.

@kh4l33si ^ What he said

• aaaand you're getting off point. No you don't have to be from a place to identify accents.
    What would be the reason for not being able to identify one though? First guess "Not being from there".

Also, what petty attacks? What belittling?

kh4l33si posted: »

You don't have to be from a specific part of the world to identify accents, though? For example, theater students on the regular are studyi

• I didn't notice anything off, but then again I am terrible with accents.

• To myself it sounded a little uppity for you to claim that American's can't distinguish between accents.
    Of course I understood your point because being from the area makes it easier, but sometimes it doesn't help your case in trying to argue you know better by bringing up where someone's from/live makes their opinion/knowledge unusable to try and prove your opinion better.

aaaand you're getting off point. No you don't have to be from a place to identify accents. What would be the reason for not being able to identify one though? First guess "Not being from there". Also, what petty attacks? What belittling?

• I seriously can't get over how everyone assumes that people in Westeros automatically are supposed to have top notch authentic english accents. It's not England. It's Westeros.

• No, but you never said anything about regional accents.

You said something about American-Australian, and even I hear the difference between English, Scottish, Irish, American and Australian.

And I live 6.000 km away from America, 15.000 km from Australia and about 1200 km from Great Britain. English isn't my first language and I could still tell the difference between those accents.

Then I'm amazed at how something so simple Is lost on you. You're telling me a person who lives thousands of miles away could tell the diffe

• "Uppity" but true in this case.

No it doesn't sometimes, but this is exactly the time it does.

Next time I'll say "non-English" for the PC Police ;)

To myself it sounded a little uppity for you to claim that American's can't distinguish between accents. Of course I understood your point

• You think an Australian accent fits in with her family?

Literally 0 idea why you tagged me in this comment.

• It´s Laura Bailey, I´d forgive her even if she went mute and got a VA role anyway.

• They're not. But it's a medieval type show which traditionally consists of English accents. GoT has Scottish, Irish and others too. In this case the actress was going for an English accent and did a poor job.

I seriously can't get over how everyone assumes that people in Westeros automatically are supposed to have top notch authentic english accents. It's not England. It's Westeros.

• Why not? Sansa's accent sounds distinctly different from Robb's or Jon's.

You think an Australian accent fits in with her family?

• edited March 2015

Why not what? :/

Sansa was raised to speak like a lady, ie. "posh".

Good example being in the show when Tywin tells Arya the difference between "My lord" and "m'lawd"

Brn2bwild posted: »

Why not? Sansa's accent sounds distinctly different from Robb's or Jon's.

• And Robb and Jon were raised to speak like gutter trash?

Robb was raised to speak like a lord. Sansa was raised to speak like a lady. They were raised in the same location by the same parents. They should have the same accent, but they don't. Yet no one seems bothered by it.

Why not what? Sansa was raised to speak like a lady, ie. "posh". Good example being in the show when Tywin tells Arya the difference between "My lord" and "m'lawd"

• They're Northeners, which seems to be the Northern England accent like Sean Beans. Again, Sansa was raised to speak like a lady, ie. "posh" so for some reason they wanted her to speak different. Fits with her character too because she seems like she doesn't belong there.

And Robb and Jon were raised to speak like gutter trash? Robb was raised to speak like a lord. Sansa was raised to speak like a lady. T

• Gary-OakGary-Oak Banned
    edited March 2015

Sounds great to me. I've met plenty of people that talk with an accent like that.

• Or Sansa simply has a different accent from Robb. You're reaching.

They're Northeners, which seems to be the Northern England accent like Sean Beans. Again, Sansa was raised to speak like a lady, ie. "posh"

• Oh now I see why you said "Why not?"

Er, nooo I'm not reaching you just want to be right no matter what here.
    Yes, they do have different accents, but they're from the same country :P

Why not have an Australian accent you ask? It's a different country, that's why.

Or Sansa simply has a different accent from Robb. You're reaching.

• But you pinpointed America. Anybody in the world could not be able to tell the difference if it's like you say.

Ha, and I love how you went and got so defensive about it. My point was that you can't seem to tell what an authentic accent sounds like. My guess was that you weren't from anywhere near the country, and surprise, I was right.

• Yep. This is an American website, so my first guess was these guys were American.

But you pinpointed America. Anybody in the world could not be able to tell the difference if it's like you say.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.