My decisions better start mattering

Seriously, I submitted to Gryff one of the hardest decision I had to make in a video game, in hopes to take him by surprise next episode and to get a favor with Gwyn. If submitting leads to the same path as defying Gryff, then this game really just gives the illusion of choice.

Comments

• This game does give the illusion of choice, y'know, just like every other Telltale game.

• Welcome to TellTale. May I take your order?

Alt text

• Except that GOT is overdoing it. The other TTL would do a better job conveying your choices into the storyline.

This game does give the illusion of choice, y'know, just like every other Telltale game.

• Oh my god, who cares if your choices don't really matter? That's not the point of the game.

• It's a valid statement considering how one chooses depending on what course of action they wish to take (Show strength or cunning). If I try a more cunning approach and the consequences are not showcased, then it's bad writing and should be pointed out.

• The story is tailored to how you play. Telltale clearly meant if your pants ripped, you play the game, and they would sew them back up for you.

• My decisions better start mattering

Or you will do what?

• Choices matter, but every game has its own story to tell. Try to make a different game out of every single different choice. It's impossible.

• I think you'll join enjoy Tale from the Borderlands more if you haven't been playing it.
    I feel like the choices I make in that game give me a different story to other people which is what I like, honestly the whole Britt thing pissed me off a bit, he was just a plot device so that Gared would have to desert.
    What would have been much better, but I can imagine much more difficult for Telltale, is to let the player choose whether to stay at Castle Black, or desert with Cotter to find the Iron Grove, that way, if you choose to stay, you can experience the assult at crasters, the attack by mance rayder.

• I feel bad for laughing at this...

• edited April 2015

Dont mess with him, he is a badass!

My decisions better start mattering Or you will do what?

• lmaoo okay. I don't expect my choices to have a humongous impact or have an abundance of divergent paths but to accept lazy writing and say that complaining is moot is simply stupid to me. Especially when I'm alluding to small chances in the story that should make logical sense.

For example:
    A) Defy Gryff = Him being more of an asshole
    B) Submit to Gryff = Him being less of an asshole

My problem would be if choosing option B would lead to the SAME EXACT dialogue as A. It doesn't make sense and it completely diminishes a "big" choice presented on the previous episode.

Nobody is asking for a huge chance in the story, not me at least, but the story should follow a consequential path depending on how you're playing.

But I guess I'm just asking for too much

Alt text

• My problem would be if choosing option B would lead to the SAME EXACT dialogue as A. It doesn't make sense and it completely diminishes a "big" choice presented on the previous episode.

It didnt have the same dialogue.

Nobody is asking for a huge chance in the story, not me at least

Didnt see you mention it like that...

but the story should follow a consequential path depending on how you're playing.

It kinda does already, sooo...

lmaoo okay. I don't expect my choices to have a humongous impact or have an abundance of divergent paths but to accept lazy writing and say

• It didnt have the same dialogue.

Except that Ep4 hasn't come out yet so how would you know?

Didnt see you mention it like that...

If my statement was so vague you couldn't conclude I didn't ask for a big chance, what made you think I did?

It kinda does already, sooo...

Not really considering I've played the game a certain way, and other people have played it completely differently, yet we're at the same place with little to no chance in the story. So it's not following a consequential path based on how I'm playing it, rather it meets an objective end which everyone gets.

My problem would be if choosing option B would lead to the SAME EXACT dialogue as A. It doesn't make sense and it completely diminishes a "b

• So your saying its like making a deal with the imp if you choose not to make a deal with imp the game plays along for a while pretending you have made a choice then it basically say well your playing it wrong I'm going to correct that for you and get you back on the path of the set storyline and presto changeO THERE YOU HAVE IT YOUR IN A DEAL WITH THE IMP you didn't want to be in a deal with the imp you wanted another way to show it's self but Plot too bad you chose wrong so you might as well go back and join the imp on the first offer to look good

• You guys are mean! XD

Dont mess with him, he is a badass!

• I feel a rap battle coming...

It didnt have the same dialogue. Except that Ep4 hasn't come out yet so how would you know? Didnt see you mention it like that

• I don't get what people are saying about the choice thing in Tales from the Borderlands. All Episode 2 did was give you an option to choose different locations and you meet different people along the way, its nothing that we didn't see in Wolf Among Us. Or is it something else that I'm not getting?

kaza125 posted: »

I think you'll join enjoy Tale from the Borderlands more if you haven't been playing it. I feel like the choices I make in that game give m

• I hope that the whole thing with Gryff does become more of an important choice, it's not that difficult of a thing to do. But honestly, I'm not gonna complain or whine. This game's story has me hooked for the whole ride, so I don't really mind about the choices. They didn't stop me from enjoying Wolf Among Us or Walking Dead S2, so they aren't gonna stop me from enjoying this game.

• Except that Ep4 hasn't come out yet so how would you know?

I was talking about dialogue in this episode, but as you said it didnt come out, so how would YOU know?

Not really considering I've played the game a certain way, and other people have played it completely differently, yet we're at the same place with little to no chance in the story. So it's not following a consequential path based on how I'm playing it, rather it meets an objective end which everyone gets.

People seem to be fine with all other stories they follow in TV series and other medias, and yet they all see the same ending... For people who dont know: All people will get to the same end point (unless they give us more endings in this as well) but the path to that point will be different... I personally dont have a problem with that and I like it, but people who dont like it need to learn to deal with that because I dont think they are gonna make 10 different stories depending on your choices (but it would be cool)...

As for you, sir, I apologize if I provoked you or started a fight. Lets end it with a manly handshake:

Alt text

It didnt have the same dialogue. Except that Ep4 hasn't come out yet so how would you know? Didnt see you mention it like that

• Alt text

I hope that the whole thing with Gryff does become more of an important choice, it's not that difficult of a thing to do. But honestly, I'm

• People seem to be fine with all other stories they follow in TV series and other medias, and yet they all see the same ending...

That's because they're shows and movies; It's a given that the audience has no effect on the story. However, Telltale markets this as an interactive game that, "...offers a ‘tailored story’ meaning that the story you experience could be very different to someone else playing the game. This is because the story changes around you based on the choices that you make." As someone who has played other Telltale games, I know the score and I still like to play them, but statements like the one above are misleading to new customers, so OP's complaint is still valid.

It also doesn't help that out of all their other games, GOT one-track storyline has been the most obvious so far by way of lazy writing (i.e. coal boy, deal with Tyrion, etc.)

Except that Ep4 hasn't come out yet so how would you know? I was talking about dialogue in this episode, but as you said it didnt co

• Alt text

My decisions better start mattering Or you will do what?

• Um not to start problems but part of it is. Its an interactive game where the game is tailored to how you play how could you say its not the point

Oh my god, who cares if your choices don't really matter? That's not the point of the game.

• It'll probably just have a bit different dialogues with Gryff based on the choice

• As someone who has played other Telltale games, I know the score and I still like to play them, but statements like the one above are misleading to new customers, so OP's complaint is still valid.

I agree, they are hyping the "story changes" part a little too much for new players...

But there are two things those newcomers can do: 1.Learn to deal with parts they dont like (if there are any), 2.Not buy their games anymore.

It also doesn't help that out of all their other games, GOT one-track storyline has been the most obvious so far by way of lazy writing

Really? To me it felt like that was the case for TWD S2.

People seem to be fine with all other stories they follow in TV series and other medias, and yet they all see the same ending... Tha

• They won't

• Well, It is possible. But it is going to be very expensive. And judging by how often Telltale reuses animations and voices, I don't think they have so much money.

fallandir posted: »

Choices matter, but every game has its own story to tell. Try to make a different game out of every single different choice. It's impossible.

• Keep in mind that there's only so much Telltale can do here. They can't create endless possible stories in one game, and they can't do anything that would affect the course of the show. Same as in the Walking Dead. They couldn't have Glenn die, because then it wouldn't fit with the comics. They can't do anything that would effect the course of the show, whether it be because they want to keep it separate from the show or HBO doesn't want to take the show in that direction.

However, it would be nice if your choices did have at least a moderate impact on a small scale. Regardless of what you do, Ethan dies. I was hoping to have him survive somehow and then just step aside as Lord when it's discovered the Rodrik survived. Or to somehow avoid fighting Finn at Castle Black, or to have nothing to do with Tyrion and not destroying your relationship with Margaery. Regardless of what you do, these things all go the same way ( as far as I know). I get that Game of Thrones is about no-win situations, but some of these situations WOULD be winnable.

• i actually don't mind so much as i like following the story as it is, but I noticed this same thing. During one of my play throughs, as Ethan, I chose for Malcolm to stay in Ironrath just for the hell of it. Of course, having already played through once, I knew Malcolm was going to go get Asher anyways, but there was nothing that implied Elissa/Malcolm overrode Ethan's decision and left anyway. Ethan chose for him to stay, but he dies, and we switch to episode 2 and there's Malcolm in Essos to save Asher's ass. The choice was there to make you feel like you had a choice, but obviously they weren't going to make a whole version of episode 2 where they just omit any Asher scenes from here on out if you chose not to send Malcolm to get him and we never introduce Asher to the story.

• I don't think TT is a big game making company though, however judging by the high quality of their projects I must say they are doing great job.

BeklopptPoE posted: »

Well, It is possible. But it is going to be very expensive. And judging by how often Telltale reuses animations and voices, I don't think they have so much money.

• The game is already tailored to how you play. Whether or not your choices make drastic differences made to the story is irrelevant. That's what I meant.

Clemenem posted: »

Um not to start problems but part of it is. Its an interactive game where the game is tailored to how you play how could you say its not the point

• I agree with you and yeah I get that TT can't make a plethora of different scenarios they still have a story to tell. And I know how TellTale is... but

since they marketed this game with (paraphrasing here) "The survival of house Forrester depends on your choices "but then force you down a certain path and diminish the effects of major events throughout the game is just frustrating.

I used the Gryff example because it's bothersome to think that I submitted to him and played the game in a way where I could take him by surprise, yet the guy who defies him is able to do the same. Minor chances in story like these should be made and TT has been getting away with a lot more lately.

Except that Ep4 hasn't come out yet so how would you know? I was talking about dialogue in this episode, but as you said it didnt co

• i hate to sound naive, but i think some choices matter more than others. the asher thing, i had a feeling they would go get him anyway, especially when they killed ethan. plus, at that point, i was kind of regretting not having sent malcom to get asher, so i was relieved they didn't honor the dead kid's wishes. i think some choices are going to be a bigger deal. for instance, i have a feeling the knife/dead guard thing is going to be problematic. i think the letter thing matters too. but even if the main plot stays the same, the way you get there matters. there's obviously one ending here, but who you piss off and the poor/good decisions you make along the way will affect you in the end.

• Every Telltale game has an illusion of choice, but starting with Season 2 of the Walking Dead it started to get really damn obvious about it. I swear after the Walking Dead these games started to get lazier, which really makes me sad.

• Choices matter.

They just don't matter much.

• Tailored mean it changes what people will say and react, and maybe even if they go with you in the end (Like Kenny in S1 of Walking Dead). What you do can completely change how you view a person because they can reveal their history, or hell even be nicer to you. Even though the points are the same, the journey is different. That is why I play Telltale games and that is why I don't care if the same things happen no matter what.

Clemenem posted: »

Um not to start problems but part of it is. Its an interactive game where the game is tailored to how you play how could you say its not the point

Sign in to comment in this discussion.