Game of thrones (TV show) season 5 episode 1 discussion

Comments

• edited April 2015

Has nobody here read the books? I keep seeing comments saying "poor Mance", but unless the writers are drastically changing Theon's story, then that wasn't Mance that was burned.

• Do you really think they will try and explain glamours on the show? My dad wont get it. Mance is clearly dead, his Winterfell plot can be replaced

• I think it was even confirmed by the actor that Mance really died in that scene.

• I was thinking about this too. Rattleshirt was only in like two episodes... I think Mance is really dead in the show. I also doubt Theon is going to be rescued by wildlings, Jeyne Poole was never named in the show. Also I don't think Mance's wife or her sister made an appearance, so we probably won't see them either.

I'm also kind of disappointed that they're completely cutting out the Greyjoys, Bran, and Stoneheart. I know they removed other things from the books like Coldhands, which didn't really bother me, but I personally don't like anyone from the Dorne storylines and am not looking forward to anything that might be happening down there. And they're adding in more shit that I don't care about. Grey Worm and Missandei, don't care. What do unsullied do with whores? REALLY don't care. Sorry for being such a naysayer, but as I said before this was the first episode of GoT that I didn't like, and I'm disappointed.

• AWESOMEOAWESOMEO Banned
    edited April 2015

She needs Lord Friendzone by her side again.

Daenerys is so...

• edited April 2015

I think they're going to have Tormund take a bigger role. Mance is really dead, but Tormund will take his place.

• I've read them, and I don't think it wasn't Mance that was burned. After watching Episode 2 yesterday, I'm realizing just how much they're changing. Kinda crazy

• That's a really good theory, actually.

torkahn808 posted: »

I think they're going to have Tormund take a bigger role. Mance is really dead, but Tormund will take his place.

• edited April 2015

What do unsullied do with whores?

It's explained in the books that even though they're eunuchs, they still crave a woman's touch. It was also shown in the episode as well, when the Unsullied laid on the bed.

I was thinking about this too. Rattleshirt was only in like two episodes... I think Mance is really dead in the show. I also doubt Theon i

• As I have already stated, I do not care. It was time wasted.

What do unsullied do with whores? It's explained in the books that even though they're eunuchs, they still crave a woman's touch. It was also shown in the episode as well, when the Unsullied laid on the bed.

• Yes, because having it explained to you in a way that shows it's logical is definitely "time wasted". Don't even bother responding if that's how you're gonna approach this.

As I have already stated, I do not care. It was time wasted.

• Eh, I have nothing against being critical and I even can understand people who are against changes from the books, but do you realize that this scene's meaning was to introduce the Sons of the Harpy? So it definitely wasn't time wasted. Plus it showed that no matter what the slave masters of Astapor say(/said) the Unsullied are still human, and have human needs and feelings. Also it showed us some more of the Meereen than just the damned pyramid. I personally thought it was a very well made scene, but that of course is just my opinion.

As I have already stated, I do not care. It was time wasted.

• You're right about the brothel scene. It was mean to introduce the Sons of the Harpy, and I didn't mind that scene so much as the one between Grey Worm and Missandei, as that whole story line is obviously just filler. Also, I dislike Daenerys and everything associated with her with the exception of Barristan Selmy. Seeing more side stories involving Mereen displeases me and I'm just bitchy about it.

Eh, I have nothing against being critical and I even can understand people who are against changes from the books, but do you realize that t

• I don't want it explained to me though. If I had my way everything related to Daenerys would just not exist in the show or the books. To me it truly doesn't matter in regards to anything else in the rest of the world. I know, I know. It's George Martin trying to build up this savior-like character for her eventual arrival in Westeros, but I can't stand her and her character is a black hole of plot lines that almost no one can escape from. But be honest, does it not seem to you like the Grey Worm/Missandei relationship is just a time filler? Because it sure does to me.

Yes, because having it explained to you in a way that shows it's logical is definitely "time wasted". Don't even bother responding if that's how you're gonna approach this.

• Hey, so in case anybody forgot, Loras is gay, yeah just thought on mentioning it...Because apparently D&D thought that people don't remember so we have to see yet another sex scene. Could they make him anymore cliche?? seriously it's getting ridiculous. In the books Loras is the closest thing to a 'true knight' there is, he's in the Kingsguard and he's a badass with a sword but in the show he's just some gay guy. Sheesh...

(Also, Robin fighting with a sword? that made me laugh, he supposed to be so sick that he had a mental breakdown just for not getting eggs for breakfast so I'm surprised he didn't die from cardiac arrest there).

• edited April 2015

I don't even recall the Grey Worm/Missandei thing even taking up that much time, but I'd have to rewatch Season 4. And a lot of people don't like Daenerys, she's a terrible leader and ignores good counsel because she's stubborn as hell. And I agree with you, Barristan Selmy is the only person that makes her storyline pretty watchable. That's not to say I find everything she does uninteresting, but Selmy really, really helps.

I don't want it explained to me though. If I had my way everything related to Daenerys would just not exist in the show or the books. To m

• At seeing Loras in another sex scene, I was like:

Alt text

They've done a terrible job in showing us Loras's character thus far. It's like they're saying "HEY GUYS, IN CASE YOU FORGOT THIS GUY IS GAY, HERE"S ANOTHER SEX SCENE!!"

Upshaw posted: »

Hey, so in case anybody forgot, Loras is gay, yeah just thought on mentioning it...Because apparently D&D thought that people don't rem

• Also, Robin fighting with a sword?

Well, not sure you can call that fighting XD "He swings a sword like a girl with palsy!"

Hey, so in case anybody forgot, Loras is gay, yeah just thought on mentioning it...Because apparently D&D thought that people don't rem

• I dont get you people's issue with a gay guy being gay. Shall we complain about all the other sex scenes in game of thrones? "hey in case you forgot! game of thrones has nudity!" see. it can work both ways.. fuckin hypocrites.

also, laying in a bed, stroking eachother, isn't "sex" btw...

• For me showing Loras' sexuality isn't really a problem (btw IIRC he had only one sex scene last season, though some other "suggesting" scenes also). It's more that they have made him kinda stereotypical and forgot about him being also a knight... even if he did have a sparring scene last season. Anyway, he's not a big problem for me since he is pretty minor character and I've never really cared much about him, books or show.

stevean2 posted: »

I dont get you people's issue with a gay guy being gay. Shall we complain about all the other sex scenes in game of thrones? "hey in case yo

• (First of all i dont see this as a Spoiler because you can't really see anything. Correct me i I'm wrong.)

After a quick forum search i didn't find anyone mentioning this, so here i go:

Is this wishful thinking or actual fanservice? Thoughts? Ideas?

Alt text

• Actually, a friend of mine just suggested that Tormund is the one that burned and Mance is still alive, because the camera kept showing Tormund during that scene.

torkahn808 posted: »

• Preeeeeetty sure Mira will be dead by then.

Taygren posted: »

(First of all i dont see this as a Spoiler because you can't really see anything. Correct me i I'm wrong.) After a quick forum search i d

• edited April 2015

There's one handmaiden that looks even more like Mira, I wonder if she'll show up again. This one doesn't really have the same face.

Sera's spot on, though. I almost wonder if HBO had Telltale model Mira and Sera after a couple of Margaery's handmaidens on purpose.

(First of all i dont see this as a Spoiler because you can't really see anything. Correct me i I'm wrong.) After a quick forum search i d

• I think Mance was wrong in not bending the knee. Why didn't he do it?

• Well, basically he didn't want the wildlings to fight for Stannis. Probably he saw that Stan's war has nothing to do with them, not sure if I agree with Mance on that though.

Pride posted: »

I think Mance was wrong in not bending the knee. Why didn't he do it?

• Not Ellaria. He was not into that, lol

He's the whore that Oberyn and Ellaria fucked

• It was setting up everything to come and I think they did a good job of that.

It was the first episode of GoT that I didn't like. The only thing I cared about was everything at the wall. Even the Tyrion/Varys scene fell short for me, and I love both those characters.

• Believe me, that scene is absolutely necessary. They know what they are doing.

rousseau posted: »

The flashback scene was really out of place. Please don't do that again, Game of Thrones.

• I don't blame him for not wanting his people to fight for someone who burns people alive. It was all about setting an example for his people. I don't think I could have been that brave.

• Who should they fight for then?

KCohere posted: »

I don't blame him for not wanting his people to fight for someone who burns people alive. It was all about setting an example for his people. I don't think I could have been that brave.

• Why join anyone's army? Fight for themselves.

Who should they fight for then?

• But they already lost doing that. The only thing they can do on their own now is freeze to death until the white walkers come

Why join anyone's army? Fight for themselves.

• I already know where this is going from reading the books. I'm just saying I understand Mances point of view in this moment.

But they already lost doing that. The only thing they can do on their own now is freeze to death until the white walkers come

• Mance actually said he respects Stannis and thinks he would be a good king, so the reason for saying no wasn't Stannis himself, just the idea of his people fighting foreigner's wars. So it doesn't matter if it had been Ned Stark, Renly, Dany, Joffrey etc. Mance wouldn't have agreed to that deal with anyone.

I don't blame him for not wanting his people to fight for someone who burns people alive. It was all about setting an example for his people. I don't think I could have been that brave.

• edited April 2015

Stupid pride. I know he said it wasn't about that, but let's be real, that was his main reason.

I don't really see his point either. They can fight with someone and get away from the Wall/White Walkers, or they could be cut down like rats. Not that hard a decision for me, plus they can still desert if it gets too hairy or if there is a good opportunity.

Edit: Just realized how rude my comment sounds cause your username is Pride sorry lol

• Hmm, if you say so.

This might be my personal hate for flashback sequences, but I think they are a clumsy way to explain things. There were other occasions where they could've used one (eg the Tysha story, actually everytime someone talks about the past, and that's often) and I'm glad they didn't.

I mean, I understand they had to include the prophecy somehow, but it wasn't the right time, and no good way to start the episode. Nobody cares about Cersei's motivation right now, especially because she isn't doing anything yet. But I don't want to be too fussy about this, there have been worse mistakes.

Believe me, that scene is absolutely necessary. They know what they are doing.

• I didn't mind it.

• Its going an entirely different direction from the books. We are all sweet summer children

I already know where this is going from reading the books. I'm just saying I understand Mances point of view in this moment.

• Eh, that doesn't really look like Sera to me but I think the Mira one is decently close. I hope it isn't her though, I'm hoping for Mira to get the fuck out of there sooner than later

Sign in to comment in this discussion.