Where do I get Sam & Max: Hit the Road

edited September 2009 in Sam & Max
Where do I find this game?

Anyway can I play that game on today's computer running Vista?

Any other old school adventure game recommendations will be helpful too. Thank you.

Comments

• edited August 2009
    eBay. Or maybe a bargain bin if you live in Europe, I hear it's easier to find there.

The updated CD-ROM version runs fine on XP, I'm not sure about Vista. If you get the original talkie, or the floppy version, you can run it with DOSBox or ScummVM.

Actually, I did have one problem with the updated CD-ROM version. It wouldn't let me exit out of looking through the binoculars at Largest Ball of Twine.
  • edited August 2009
    Thanks for the info. Curious as to why they don't just release through digital distribution with Steam and others.
  • edited August 2009
    Well you might be able to snag a copy from ebay, Amazon or someplace like that. It wont run on Vista out of the box but ScummVM might be able to run it for you. Not 100% if it works on Vista, though.

If you do buy it make sure to get it on CD and not on disc. (For obvious reasons.)

*Edit: Oh, someone has already provided the same answer. Oh well. The alternative is just to wait for LucasArts to release it on Steam.
  • edited August 2009
    I hope they release it on steam. I bought it on Amazon and since I live in germany I had to play the german Version and I hated every second of it. The Voices were so bad that I disabled them with scummVM after 10 Minutes.
    Thank God ScummVM as a Subtitles only-option.
  • edited August 2009
    Yeah, it seems like it's still really easy to find on the shelves in Europe. At least in Finland. I've seen copies of the XP-modified Hit the Road on every corner. :)

In the US it might be harder, though. But yeah, probably Amazon or Ebay would be your go.
    Shwoo wrote: »

Actually, I did have one problem with the updated CD-ROM version. It wouldn't let me exit out of looking through the binoculars at Largest Ball of Twine.

I also had the same problem, first. But got it worked out eventually. I think I had to click with both mouse buttons at the same time, need to re-check that sometime.
  • edited August 2009
    XP-Modified version is non-existant in the uk :(

Just tons of wii games - although I am pleased to see S+M Season One Wii on the shelves, never seen the PC version though...
  • edited August 2009
    XP-Modified version is non-existant in the uk :(

Just tons of wii games - although I am pleased to see S+M Season One Wii on the shelves, never seen the PC version though...
    It isn't non-existant online really, it can be found on Ebay etc.
  • edited August 2009
    Trica wrote: »
    I also had the same problem, first. But got it worked out eventually. I think I had to click with both mouse buttons at the same time, need to re-check that sometime.

Yeah, double clicking both mouse buttons does the trick, thanks. Really not as obvious obvious as it should be, and it doesn't help that the spinning makes me feel nauseous. :rolleyes:

You can definitely find copies of it in the UK though, I just got mine a few days ago, brand new and sealed. And it is the modified version that runs right off the disc, you don't need to mess around with ScummVM or anything.

http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/3321177/Lucas-Classic-Line-Sam-Max/Product.html?ptsl=1&ob=Price&fb=0
  • edited August 2009
    there are many many versions.. so watcho... what part of the world you live in ryte123?

modified version that runs without scummvm? must be the re release on dosbox back emu? :P

i just run scummvm for ALL those games.. just runs better under it.. screw compatibility when there is such a great tool..
  • edited August 2009
    I bought it in Wilkinsons (UK) of all places the other week for £5 for and it says its vista compatible. I cant vouch for that since I have XP but it runs without scumm straight off the disc. I had to have it though since my original game cd is so scratched the music doesnt work
  • edited August 2009
    It is Vista compatible, and Windows 7 compatible. Although for me in Windows 7 the disk loaded it up in wmp, as theres some music files in the disk, instead of autoplaying. Consequently, if that happens to you, all you need to do is go into the disk, and click on the Sam & Max Application and it'll launch the game.
  • edited August 2009
    Rawr wrote: »
    It is Vista compatible, and Windows 7 compatible. Although for me in Windows 7 the disk loaded it up in wmp, as theres some music files in the disk, instead of autoplaying. Consequently, if that happens to you, all you need to do is go into the disk, and click on the Sam & Max Application and it'll launch the game.

Yeah, I was a little worried they'd just sent me a soundtrack CD at first.

Anyway, if you really can't get a hold of the disc version, I'm sure it'll be up on Steam sooner or later, and even maybe things like XBLA. Unlike Monkey Island, it wouldn't really need as much work. The graphics are fine and I think they proved there's a big audiance for these type of games.
  • edited August 2009
    I've ran it a few times on Vista , but using ScummVM. Works like a charm. Not sure about the new cdrom or what others here are talking about , but the original vesion ran in DOS4GW and you have to use either ScummVM or Dosbox.
  • edited August 2009
    Whether any old DOS stuff will work in Vista may depend on the version of Vista. The 64 bit version breaks some compatibility.
    But...
    As already pointed out, there is no need to even bother testing it out. DosBox and/or ScummVM are your friends.
  • edited September 2009
    Maybe since LucasArts is releasing games on Virtual Console, maybe they can team up with TellTale, and make Sam & Max Hit the Road: Special Edition for XBox Live Arcade and WiiWare!
  • edited July 2013
    You can vote in the gog.com wishlist for Sam & Max Hit the Road :
    http://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/sam_max_hit_the_road_1
  • edited July 2013
    The important thing to know about getting or buying that game is that there is a version without voices and one with voices. Be careful what you're getting.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.