Lady Forrester being the traitor makes no logical sense.

So quite a few people are keen to brand Elissa as the traitor. Here's why that doesn't quite work.

1. The logic behind the accusation seems to be that they think the Whitehills might be blackmailing her so that Ryon stays safe. Indeed, outright treachery makes little sense at all - she expressed a desire to kill all Whitehill children in a previous episode, and this was clearly a request to be taken as a genuine desire from its position in the narrative and its speech style, so she wouldn't betray the Forresters just because she prefers the Whitehills - this means if it is Lady Forrester, it HAS to be blackmail related.

2. A minor point - Gwyn refers to the person distinctly as a traitor, and giving secrets due to blackmail isn't really betrayal of any kind. But people could handwave this as 'gwyn wouldn't know anything abut the nature of the situation'. But she seemed pretty confident there was a betrayal.

3. If it's blackmail, then why wouldn't Lady Forrester tell anyone else about it? It's not like if she mentions it to Rodrik then Gryff will hear it, then order his father to kill Ryon. She would lose literally nothing from telling her family of the situation.

Comments

1. I believe it is Lady Forrester, and I believe it IS blackmail related because of Ryon.
    2. Gwyn refers to the person distinctly as a traitor, but then distinctly states that she doesn't know who the traitor is. Therefore, if it WAS Lady Forrester and it WAS due to her being blackmailed, Gwyn wouldn't know that and therefore would assume "information leak" means traitor.
    3. Roderick would put a stop to it if he found out, thus cutting ties and preventing Lady Forrester from continuing to work with the Whitehills. I'd imagine if it was blackmail, they also told her that "if anyone finds out, they'll do ____ to Ryon."

So, on the contrary, I think it makes plenty of logical sense... if you're capable of critical thinking.

• Whoa whoa...

While I do agree with you on the subject (as we established in the other thread), I think adding "if you're capable of critical thinking" is a bit much. You may not mean it as an insult, but it can definitely be construed as such.

Ryanoo posted: »

* I believe it is Lady Forrester, and I believe it IS blackmail related because of Ryon. * Gwyn refers to the person distinctly as a traito

• You're entitled to your opinion but you shouldn't be basically telling everyone that they're wrong if they hold a different opinion. There's a possibility of Elissa being the traitor just like it's a possibility that she isn't.

• edited April 2015

Not meant as an insult, I just think it's important to weigh all factors before declaring something makes "no logical sense." I respect your comment though, I can't stand it when people on forums are toxic.

dfh15 posted: »

Whoa whoa... While I do agree with you on the subject (as we established in the other thread), I think adding "if you're capable of critical thinking" is a bit much. You may not mean it as an insult, but it can definitely be construed as such.

• Why would she think Roderick would do that? Unless she thinks he like hates her.

Rodrick isn't an idiot, and he wants Ryon to survive. If Lady Forrester told him, they'd have a tactical advantage, as the two of them could feed false info to the Whitehills easily.

* I believe it is Lady Forrester, and I believe it IS blackmail related because of Ryon. * Gwyn refers to the person distinctly as a traito

• People are free to hold unsubstantiated opinions, but there's no need for me to never ever raise any questions about the integrity of anyone's opinons.

Someone may have the opinion that vaccines cause Autism, but I don't see anything wrong with showing them that that isn't possible.

AgentZ46 posted: »

You're entitled to your opinion but you shouldn't be basically telling everyone that they're wrong if they hold a different opinion. There's a possibility of Elissa being the traitor just like it's a possibility that she isn't.

• edited April 2015

In a previous thread I stated the possibility of it being someone else, particularly that Ortengryn would be my second suspect(but I find him unlikely). I don't think anyone is right or wrong, I simply said that it makes plenty of logical sense.

You're entitled to your opinion but you shouldn't be basically telling everyone that they're wrong if they hold a different opinion. There's a possibility of Elissa being the traitor just like it's a possibility that she isn't.

• Rodrick isn't an idiot and nor is his mother. The fact that they're blackmailing Elissa could easily be turned to their advantage - the two of them could feed false info, and use this as a positive.

On the other hand, if the traitor is malicious, then everything makes sense far more easily.

• edited April 2015

[removed]

• edited April 2015

[removed]

• I'm not saying 'YOU'RE WRONG YOU'RE WRONG' - i'm giving actual evidence as to why I think it would be nonsensical if she turns out to be the traitor.

And there's nothing wrong with telling someone their opinion is wrong. If someone has the opinion that vaccines cause Autism, with no scientific basis, then there's nothing immoral about showing them that this definitely isn't the case.

• [removed]

• edited April 2015

please remove

• Sorry for the above, my internet completely screwed up and every time I wrote the comments so had to start from scratch each time..

• He's talking to me Mr Critical Thinking.

• edited April 2015

Agreed, but the point is that she is not thinking clearly and acting out of fear. Of course, if she was thinking clearly she could use her deal with the Whitehills to her advantage and feed them falsified information... but that said, it's very possible that the Whitehills told her that if she lies/tells anyone/plays any tricks that they will KILL HER SON.

That said, I think anyone in her situation would be reluctant to tell anyone or try anything drastic, nor do I think they'd be completely capable of clear decision making. She just watched her son get stabbed in the throat, on top of getting news that her husband was killed. Rodericks not an idiot, but he's the Lord of their House and he'd be pissed to learn that she was going behind his back. Perhaps she's in over her head now and thinks it's too late to say anything, or perhaps she's simply unwilling to take any risk if it means losing yet another person she loves.

Flog61 posted: »

Why would she think Roderick would do that? Unless she thinks he like hates her. Rodrick isn't an idiot, and he wants Ryon to survive. If

• Snide comment unnecessary. It was noted that he replied to you, I simply added my comment as a side note in case you thought I was completely discrediting your statement that it's not Lady Forrester.

Flog61 posted: »

He's talking to me Mr Critical Thinking.

• I have a hard time believing (figure of speech) my own mother would betray her own family. If she turns out to be the traitor, I am REALLY going to be disappointed in her.

• Indeed, but I don't think it'd be so much "betrayal" as it would be a mistake made out of fear for her sons life. That said, it'd still be a disappointment, but not something to rule out. One thing I noticed, when you tell her that you met with Gwyn she seems startled and immediately asks what she told you, as if she's something to be worried about.

I have a hard time believing (figure of speech) my own mother would betray her own family. If she turns out to be the traitor, I am REALLY going to be disappointed in her.

• edited April 2015

Well, yeah, it could be her or it might not be her. The big problem I see with it is how they pushed her being the traitor. People keep saying that Ortengryn would be too obvious but she also practically wears a t-shirt saying "I'M THE TRAITOR". Much like the Maester, we get the chance to tell her about the North Grove in the first episode. And then in the third episode, she's the only one we get to inform of the traitor's existence. Personally, they're either going with her being guilty or her going mad and attempting to murder whoever the traitor is out of spite.

Also, I find it pretty funny how no one in this thread is spelling Rodrik's name correctly.

• you mean rodrick???? :D

That1Guy posted: »

Well, yeah, it could be her or it might not be her. The big problem I see with it is how they pushed her being the traitor. People keep sayi

• Lets face it the maestor is the only one that makes sense.... MAYBE Duncan but even that's a stretch.

I will say Royland is less likely that Lady forrester however.

• A pragmatic approach that a lady of the middle ages would be compelled to follow, would be to offer to marry the Whitehill lord (or his son) since her husband has been killed, thus ending the war by uniting the two houses.

Of course, this does not work until there are male sons alive which can challenge the title. Planning to send Rodrik to the Wall might be enough to keep him safe from any Whitehill revenge. Thus, she would get: a safe family (at least, alive), Ryon returned to her, she'd have ended the war, and she'd hope to influence her new house internally saving the Ironwood. Whitehill has more than one son, maybe they're not all unreasonable pricks like him.

Knowing an attempt to save Ryon implies putting him (and the rescuers) at danger, and it risks also to enrage the Boltons... it's comprehensible that she might be working under the table. But she looked a tad bit too pissed off in the main hall to be the traitor.

So yeah, at the end, Duncan or the Maester are easier to sway or corrupt. And Duncan already has sent his nephew to the Wall, so doing it twice for Rodrik is not unthinkable.

• Of course, how could I misspell it so badly? It's obviously Roadric.

Killah posted: »

you mean rodrick????

1. I think everyone who's accused Lady Forrester of being the traitor has said it's because of blackmail, I don't know how this point has any relevance to your argument...
    2. I think you're looking into this too hard. Gwyn tells us there is a traitor on the council but says she doesn't know more than that. Plus betrayal is betrayal, just because you're being blackmailed into doing it, it doesn't change what it is.
    3. Fear perhaps? Maybe she's scared of what would happen to her if she was to tell someone she's been leaking information. It's not impossible to suggest that she'd do something irrational to ensure the safety of Ryon.

I think you should try looking at things from Lady Forresters perspective. She lost Gregor and Ethan within the space of a few weeks (Ethan being killed right in front of her), Mira is in, arguably, the most dangerous place in Westeros and Asher is dealing with mercenaries and various other dangerous types in Essos. They have no allies and they've lost their main source of income. Not to mention their opponents outnumber them 5-1 (probably by a greater amount considering some of the troops deserted them in episode 2). Things look bleak and the only thing Lady Forrester probably cares about is keeping her entire family safe.

• My main issue with this thread is everyone spelling RODRIK's name incorrectly. Anyway, bye.

• ok so idk if to think that she is really a traitor or not but here is what I got:

• She told Rodrik to kiss Whitehill's ring, but it was because Whitehill said that if Rodrik kisses his ring, he'll bring Ryon to the funeral. And she didn't see him for a long time and etc. but if it were to the blackmail and stuff that they'll kill Ryon why can't she just hint Rodrik about Ryon's life in danger? without revealing that she is involved.
    • Yes, she may have told Rodrik to kill all the Whitehill soldiers because of the blackmailing she gets, but couldn't there be also another reason? like she hates what they did to Ethan and that they took Ryon away and tryed to take Talia too?
    • when I told her about the traitor she seemed really surprised and why would she tell Whitehill soldiers about the plan to save Ryon? sure, she can fake that reaction, but it just seemed too real, so I'll give her A* for acting skills
    • Honestly people, don't you think there could be someone else Hiding and listening to their conversation?
    • ok so how does Gwyn know there is a traitor? did her father tell her? ok so probably this sentence makes no sense, because there is probably a reason I don't know about or just forgot
    • well yep, She would never become an actual traitor and tell about all the plans on purpose, come on, why would she side with her enemies that treat her and her house like shit so she must be being forced to tell everything.
    • but ok, would Gwyn let her father kill Ryon? she hangs around him often so she could kinda protect him since I am not sure if her father would kill her for protecting a little boy.

anyway too lazy to write everything now.

• I can't say that i think Lady Forrester is being a very logical person right now. So her being an illogical option as to who the traitor is doesn't phase me much.

IMO she is losing her shit, just look at her. Also, her family background could give credence to the fact that she would do Anything to prevent the complete destruction of her family, this time around. Even give info to the Whitehills for assurances of Ryon's safety. She has already sent letters to Ludd Whitehill without informing us or even aknowledging that she should, she didn't tell us about Eleana Glenmore coming until the day of her arrival, as well as attempting to send Malcom to Essos without our permission or knowledge.

Seems to me like she does whatever she wants, whenever she wants, and doesn't much care to inform anyone about any of it until she gets busted. Seems like a good candidate for a Leak of Information to me.

• I don't think it's very logical to throw out an option on an interpretation of one word.

• Hey, I mentioned that first. THERE IS ONLY ONE GRAMMAR SHERIFF AROUND THESE PARTS AND THAT IS ME, YA HEAR ME?!

Lewsblake23 posted: »

My main issue with this thread is everyone spelling RODRIK's name incorrectly. Anyway, bye.

• Better title would be "Here's why i think Lady Forrester isn't the traitor"

• edited April 2015

Lady Forrester can't be the traitor it just doesn't make any sense

• There are two big flaws in your conclusion:

1. People don't act always driven by logical considerations. e.g. mothers who fear for their children and have lost a child only recently.
    2. It is your 21th century view on things that being a victim of blackmailing rules you out for being a traitor. In a maediavel setting this conclusion is complete absurd. She betrays her house by giving information to the enemy without the knowledge of the lord. End of argument.
    • we don't know how honest Gwyn is. Telling Rodrick she doesn't know the traitor doesn't mean she's telling the truth. Maybe she doesn't want Rodrick to kill the traitor.
  • edited April 2015

There is one strong piece of information that can be used to argue that Lady Forrester is not the traitor.

Remember how at the end of Episode 1, the Whitehill soldiers managed to get inside the hall despite being left outside? How they got in has always been a question but the presence of a traitor can answer this. However Lady Forrester had no reason to let the Whitehill soldiers in at the end of Episode 1 (they didn't have Ryon to blackmail her back then). Thus the traitor can't be Lady Forrester. It has to be someone else. Someone who, at the end of Episode 1, was willing to let all the Whitehill soldiers and endanger Ethan and the others.

However this proposition only holds true based on the assumption that the Whitehill soldiers got inside due to the actions of the traitor. It's possible they just got inside because of plot and nothing to do with the traitor (although I think this is probably one of the worst decisions that Telltale could make).

• I agree, and she knows a lot of what's going on around the world. That's why when you tell her there is a traitor, she thinks it's Royland, given the fact that the Boltons are attacking his sworn enemy.

JetLee posted: »

There is one strong piece of information that can be used to argue that Lady Forrester is not the traitor. Remember how at the end of Epi

• I think that the soldiers being let in is just a lazy plot hole, just like when Margaery say's she'll help you with the proposal in episode 2. I'd have thought one of the characters would have mentioned it if it was a big deal. Plus at that moment, House Forrester was still quite strong so nobody had any reason to turn on the House.

JetLee posted: »

There is one strong piece of information that can be used to argue that Lady Forrester is not the traitor. Remember how at the end of Epi

• edited April 2015

To be honest, the only logical person being the traitor is Maester Ortengryn, only 4 people to suspect, and all the others are trustworthy. This Lady Forrester theory is stupid as hell, if it's really true, I will be disappointed. George R. R. Martin always has something to shock the reader, but all his twists can be explained and fits with the story. If Lady Forrester is really a traitor, this twist for "shock effect" is not worth it, because contains zero logic.

• It depends on who is chosen as the sentinel. On a non-serious playthough, I told her about the traitor and she thinks it is Duncan.

LukaszB posted: »

I agree, and she knows a lot of what's going on around the world. That's why when you tell her there is a traitor, she thinks it's Royland, given the fact that the Boltons are attacking his sworn enemy.

• Yea, it is total crap lady forrester begin the traitor,plus, my Best bet it could be Duncan or that "maester"

JohnKersky posted: »

To be honest, the only logical person being the traitor is Maester Ortengryn, only 4 people to suspect, and all the others are trustworthy.

• Still strong after having 98-99.8% of their soldiers killed? That's ridiculous.

MrHazer posted: »

I think that the soldiers being let in is just a lazy plot hole, just like when Margaery say's she'll help you with the proposal in episode

Sign in to comment in this discussion.