Gared becomes a Wildling?

2»

Comments

• So, if you were trained to be a swordsman, you would let yourself die? Just because of some honor bullshit? You haven't really been answering anybody's questions here. Gared would have died if he hadn't fought against Britt. Under your reasoning, because he didn't die he should...die?

But seriously, a fight is a fight and the only thing one can hope to do is win. However, if the blood of a man who swore the same vows as me

• i don't want to become him a wildling. i think we could choose if we want to join them or not but i think you could survice even without them as protectors ^^

• You dont trust cotter only because he is wildling?...........Well he may be really heplful after finding the north grove

I hope not. I don't want Gared's story to, as has been said, be a recycling of Jon's story. I think, however, Cotter will attempt to talk

• It's more that I don't trust him to not go telling the wildlings about the North Grove. When Gared asks why he wants to help, he gives a very vague, very suspicious "I have my reasons". That's why.

And I've said if I'm wrong, then I'll change my mind. But right now, I fully expect for him to betray me.

You dont trust cotter only because he is wildling?...........Well he may be really heplful after finding the north grove

• I'm not familiar with the t.v./books. Are wildlings known to be evil/distrustful? Or are they like misunderstood people?

It's more that I don't trust him to not go telling the wildlings about the North Grove. When Gared asks why he wants to help, he gives a ver

• edited April 2015

If I were a swordsman, I would judge a situation myself to determine, wether it's worth dying for. Gared however, is not a swordsman, he is a man oathbound in service to the Night's Watch. He's a brother, a watcher, a protector. To protect is many times more difficult than to fight and Gared has to protect not only himself, but also his brothers and the realm. Maester Aemon said, that everyone who ever put on the black, had at least one occasion, where his words were put to the test. Perhaps it is the way the gods will truly know, wether someone is worth to be called "brother". One could say that such an occasion was the duel between Gared and Britt. Because Gared could not spare Britt's life, he couldn't live up to his vows and deserves to be executed. Another might say Britt was the one being tested and by letting his grudge against Gared get the better of him and provoking Gared to fight, he failed that test and Gared was fighting a man who betrayed his kind and is yet to be tested himself... I wish Maetser Aemon would appear in a coming episode and help Gared and the player with his wisdom...

So, if you were trained to be a swordsman, you would let yourself die? Just because of some honor bullshit? You haven't really been answerin

• It's a yes and no to both of those.

It really depends on the tribe. Some are worse than others and a lot of tribes hate other tribes. But Mance Rayder was able to unite them all under the fact that not only is a bad winter on the way that will surely kill them all, but also the awakening of the Whitewalkers. The reality is that the wildlings want to pass the wall in order to survive.

The problem is, they are willing to do most anything to do it. Including raiding villages, killing innocents and such, while others are offering up their newborn sons as sacrifices to the Whitewalkers.

There was a time Jon was with the wildlings and as a test, they wanted him to kill an old man to prove he had abandoned the Night's Watch. Naturally, Jon couldn't do it and that's how his cover is blown.

Their reasons are somewhat understandable, but it really doesn't excuse their atrocities in my opinion.

As for Cotter, I don't say what I say about him because I think he's evil. I just believe he will be more loyal to his wildling brethren and will likely want to give away the location of the North Grove if it does indeed have power that could benefit them in the end. I think he will try to convince Gared to join the wildlings to avoid fighting him, but I don't see Gared agreeing to do that (at least, not how I play him). Hence, why I believe it's highly likely we may be killing him.

But of course, I could be wrong. It could be his "reasons" are totally benign or it turns out the North Grove wouldn't be something the wildlings would want to use anyway, in which case I will change my mind. But that remains to be seen.

DoubleJump posted: »

I'm not familiar with the t.v./books. Are wildlings known to be evil/distrustful? Or are they like misunderstood people?

• [removed]

MissLemon posted: »

i don't want to become him a wildling. i think we could choose if we want to join them or not but i think you could survice even without them as protectors ^^

• ok thx for the explanation. Cotter may be helpful now, but prove dangerous later if/when we find the North Grove. If only to help his people as it will for Gared.

• Alt text

WalkerHH93 posted: »

I would love to see that.

• We'll probably go it alone with Cotter to the North Grove. When we find whatever is there Cotter will want it to aid the wildlings offering Gared to join them. Gared of course refuses and there will be a 'decision' to attack him. If not then Cotter will be forced to attack you. Cotter dies regardless and we head to Ironrath... or we just get killed off tragically somehow.

• Just logged in to upvote. You're doing godswork son.

Alt text

• Some people don't seem to understand how Game of Thrones works. It does NOT matter if Gared was acting in self defence or not. He violated his oath by killing a brother - the sentence is death.

If we want to get all technical, and ignore the fact of how the Night's Watch works, Gared didn't need to fatally wound Britt. He sliced him across the chest, sliced into his arm BEFORE the option of finishing him off.

If anything, Gared should have disarmed him and got another Brother as a witness, or to help. Britt would be the one sentenced to death in that regard.

If I were a swordsman, I would judge a situation myself to determine, wether it's worth dying for. Gared however, is not a swordsman, he is

• Self defence doesn't justify actions. If I was defending myself in a fight, and accidently killed someone I would go down for manslaughter. How well do you think "Well it was self defence, none of it was my fault!" would hold up?

Gared used self defence, I agree completely. But that doesn't change the fact he killed Britt, a brother of the Night's Watch, nor take away the fault of his actions.

Gared is at fault for killing Britt.

JakeSt123 posted: »

You expect him to just let Britt kill him? He killed Britt out of self defense, it was not his fault. Now he has to desert so he isn't executed for something that isn't strictly his fault.

• Gared swore an oath in front of the old gods, he didn't stay true to his words. I've let Gared say to Duncan "I'll be strong." and I didn't stay true to those words either. Gared may say he is a man of his words but we all know he only wants to be that man but as Frostfinger said: "But what he wants doesn't mean shit." And like Jon Snow said: "The gods are not forgiving..."

I really hope that we get the chance to say to Cotter (and possibly Finn) something like "No, there is no life for me outside of the oath. The least I can do is to accept the final act of mercy by the men I used to call my brothers." (Then Gared would probably be knocked out and carried by Finn...)

Echopapa posted: »

Self defence doesn't justify actions. If I was defending myself in a fight, and accidently killed someone I would go down for manslaughter.

• edited April 2015

Why didn't Telltale give us the chance to run, like in Drogon's cave, put a chase sequence QTE in, have Britt like slip off the Wall and Gared too far away to save him and then being falsely accused? Or is it really that difficult to programm two seperate QTEs and maybe two extra lines of dialogue? I mean, you have the option to say "I don't want to fight you.", and I'm like "Well, then DON'T fight him. There will be plenty of other moments that are worth to lay your life on the line. Killing a brother is not one of those moments in my eyes." Appearently my Gared is not only not a man of his words, but also a straight up liar. If he truly didn't want to fight him, he wouldn't have fought him.

Some people don't seem to understand how Game of Thrones works. It does NOT matter if Gared was acting in self defence or not. He violated h

• It seems like story is leading us to abandon the Night's Watch. I don't see the Watch having Gared go North as a ranger. I'm thinking that there will be pretty much no choice, Especially since they established Cotter as a wildling.

• Are you kidding m87... manslaughter is nothing. You can get like 4 charges of that before they actually put you in jail.

Self defence doesn't justify actions. If I was defending myself in a fight, and accidently killed someone I would go down for manslaughter.

• With the endorsement of Cotter and the assurance that Gared murdered a knights watchman within the walls of the Fortress, probably.

MrHazer posted: »

I'm sorry but would Mance really let another Nights Watch deserter in after what happened with Jon?

• To be fair, Jon Snow didn't have his family mur-- oh, I guess he did, my mistake.

fallandir posted: »

I'd rather have an original plot, please. Gared's story is already too similar to Jon's.

• Yes, Gared will probably betray the Wildlings.

That said, since this is Game of Thrones, there is no chance that he could survive by betraying both Night's Watch and the Wildlings.

So at this point Gared would be dead.

DoubleJump posted: »

Gared is a Forester that was asked to join the Night's Watch to look for The North Grove, but the Night's Watch fight The Wildlings and now

• A Shit ton of Night's watch Rangers are with the Wildlings.

So of course Mance Rayder would bring in another Night's Watch deserter, he could come in handy to tell him all about Castle Black inside and outside.

MrHazer posted: »

I'm sorry but would Mance really let another Nights Watch deserter in after what happened with Jon?

• Gared sure is putting up with a lot BS in his story. Night Watch brother can't catch a break.

Yes, Gared will probably betray the Wildlings. That said, since this is Game of Thrones, there is no chance that he could survive by betraying both Night's Watch and the Wildlings. So at this point Gared would be dead.

• Because that would be too much story branching for Telltale to manage!

Why didn't Telltale give us the chance to run, like in Drogon's cave, put a chase sequence QTE in, have Britt like slip off the Wall and Gar

• Well, whatever. Greater than the old gods and the new combined are still the writers and their "miracles" of plot convenience. I just know that my Gared hates himself and just wants to die. I guess he's just taking on the journey to the North Grove, not because he is loyal to House Forrester, not because so that he'll have no regrets, but because so that there is absolutely no ties to his past whatsoever and he can die as a full false brother.

Because that would be too much story branching for Telltale to manage!

• Gared is four five seconds from wildin'.

• Alt text

I see what you did there.

Omid's cat posted: »

Gared is four five seconds from wildin'.

• Yes, its Gared's chance to find the "North Grove", duncan said he must leave Castle Black and follow the map to reach the North Grove and yep...Gared did break his vows...so yea' i hope he become a wildling if thats good.,,,

• Imagine if Gared fled to Ironrath and Rodrik would have to execute him as a deserter :( and we play as Rodrik in this sad moment.

hayd24 posted: »

We'll probably go it alone with Cotter to the North Grove. When we find whatever is there Cotter will want it to aid the wildlings offering

Sign in to comment in this discussion.