Lucasarts - Monkey Island 5 for reals?

Comments

• edited September 2009
    Lucidity hasn't been officially announced or revealed yet. I highly doubt they'd be dropping all these little hints of screenshots for that game if this announcement was going to be for something completely unrelated. And in the highly unlikely event that it is a new Monkey Island project, it would almost certainly be a MI2 special edition, not a brand new game.
  • edited September 2009
    It's an adventure game. If weren't, GT TV would not have used all those DOTT, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango clips at the beginning (plus the MI:SE art). The fact they used blurred MI:SE art when mentioning the "brand new, original game," has me leaning toward Monkey Island. But it might just be for hype.

I used quotes because those are the words the video used.
  • edited September 2009
    Seriously, I'm not sure how anyone can read the phrase "Brand new, original game" and assume they mean a sequel. Especially when it's been an open secret for some time that they really do have a brand new, original game in the works. You'd think adventure game fans would be better at figuring this little puzzle out.
  • edited September 2009
    Barnabus wrote: »
    Seriously, I'm not sure how anyone can read the phrase "Brand new, original game" and assume they mean a sequel. Especially when it's been an open secret for some time that they really do have a brand new, original game in the works. You'd think adventure game fans would be better at figuring this little puzzle out.

Brand new, original game as compared to a re-release. I could be wrong though.
  • edited September 2009
    No, it said Thursday at 12:30, but no date. So it's probably next Thursday.

Damn my sucking at english oral understanding.
    It's today, there is a counter on the gametrailers page.
    13 hours and 21 minutes to go.

Damn timezones :eek:
  • edited September 2009
    looking at the trailer again... there is a blurry character between all the MI concepts that looks exactly like of of the characters in the leaked lucidity screenshot.

It can only be Lucidity that they announce if you ask me
  • edited September 2009
    subscribing to thread
  • edited September 2009
    Guys, we're forgetting where lucasarts REAL roots are. That's right, the critically acclaimed, oscar nominated: LABYRINTH!!
  • edited September 2009
    ToMI is obv MI 5. It's a lot more MI 5 than EoMI was MI 4.
  • edited September 2009
    natlinxz wrote: »
    Guys, we're forgetting where lucasarts REAL roots are. That's right, the critically acclaimed, oscar nominated: LABYRINTH!!

Well played, sir.
  • edited September 2009
    Hmm, gee, what is the Lucasarts logo doing in the beginning of Tales? It couldn't be because Tales is Monkey Island 5 could it? Nah, impossible, it must've been put in there by accident.
  • edited September 2009
    mi5 doesnt exist. how many times must we go over this?
  • edited September 2009
    If this is really Lucidity, well that game is only for Xbox 360, right? Then, I couldn't care less.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2009
    pilouuuu wrote: »
    If this is really Lucidity, well that game is only for Xbox 360, right? Then, I couldn't care less.

Man we need to break out the old jump to conclusions mat in here. I know absolutely nothing about what LucasArts is announcing (I wish I did!), but just because there are achievements doesn't mean that its just for Xbox 360. Given that they haven't announced anything about this game, except for some leaked achievements and the teased screenshot on their blog, how are people claiming to know so much about everything, and are making judgments and decisions based on that? I know its the internet and all, so that's of course fair game, but, heh.
  • edited September 2009
    pilouuuu wrote: »

Lucasarts seems to have a very nice relationship with Steam at the moment, so I highly doubt that they'd make it a 360-exclusive game.
    Uh, not that any of us know anything official about the game, anyway.
  • edited September 2009
    Duate wrote: »
    mi5 doesnt exist. how many times must we go over this?
    As many times as it takes for people who say "Monkey Island 5 doesn't exist" to realize that it's a quotation that has been taken way too far, and that Tales is as legitimately Monkey 5 as Curse is legitimately Monkey 3.
  • edited September 2009
    Jake wrote: »
    Man we need to break out the old jump to conclusions mat in here.

I have a doctor's note saying you can't make me climb the rope of unfounded conjecture.
  • edited September 2009
    It was Lucidity
  • edited September 2009
    Lucidity is the winner!
  • edited September 2009
    As many times as it takes for people who say "Monkey Island 5 doesn't exist" to realize that it's a quotation that has been taken way too far, and that Tales is as legitimately Monkey 5 as Curse is legitimately Monkey 3.
    Tales takes place AFTER the imaginary 5th game. there's a whole plot in there that's missing that gets wrapped up at the beginning of tales.

sequentially yes, it's the 5th game because there were four before it.

But as far as narrative is concerned, it's the 6th game. I'll take narrative importance over counting importance any day.

When you watch the Phantom Menace, do you call it "Star Wars Episode 4," just because there were three star wars movies before it? No. It's Episode 1 because it comes first in the narrative. It's first in the overall story.

Same with ToMI. It comes 6th in the story, so it is not Monkey Island 5.
  • edited September 2009
    No, Tales is MI4 :p
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2009
    Tales takes place AFTER the imaginary 5th game. there's a whole plot in there that's missing that gets wrapped up at the beginning of tales.

But as far as narrative is concerned, it's the 6th game. I'll take narrative importance over counting importance any day.

When you watch the Phantom Menace, do you call it "Star Wars Episode 4," just because there were three star wars movies before it? No. It's Episode 1 because it comes first in the narrative. It's first in the overall story.

We called it Monkey Island 6 for a while as a joke, but saying "there was a fifth game in between" doesn't mean you should actually see that game, or that it actually exists. The whole point was to say "time has passed between Escape from Monkey Island and Tales of Monkey Island -- the characters have gone on some more adventures, grown a little, learned some things, and probably healed some continuity wounds in the process." The point wasn't "there will be another game between Escape and Tales" -- that would be silly! You'd spend the whole game assembling a cursed cutlass, chasing LeChuck down to make him stop harvesting monkeys, and then right before you could go to take out LeChuck and save Elaine, the game would end and say "To be continued in Tales of Monkey Island!" Actually, that would be pretty amazing, but it would definitely be unfulfilling, I think!
  • edited September 2009
    The way I see it, Tales isn't Monkey 5. It's not Monkey 6 either. It exists in the same world, but it'll never be connected to the story that has been continuing in the first 4 games other than references. It's somewhere way in the future, just like how Jason X sits in the Friday the 13th timeline.

It's the start of it's own Monkey Island adventure. Hopefully there's more seasons and Tales will be seen as Tales Season 1 and not Monkey 5.
  • edited September 2009
    Jake wrote: »
    Man we need to break out the old jump to conclusions mat in here. I know absolutely nothing about what LucasArts is announcing (I wish I did!), but just because there are achievements doesn't mean that its just for Xbox 360. Given that they haven't announced anything about this game, except for some leaked achievements and the teased screenshot on their blog, how are people claiming to know so much about everything, and are making judgments and decisions based on that? I know its the internet and all, so that's of course fair game, but, heh.

lol yeah, I guess you are right. It's just that I read somewhere else that it was an XBox 360 exclusive and I'm so annoyed at consoles exclusives.

Thankfully the new Lucasarts administration seems like cool guys, nice enough to allow us all to have MI games again.

And for all the MI 5 affair, I think it's better for us all to forget about it. Tales of Monkey Island is doing quite a nice job to continue the franchise and I like that it is moving it forward and not stuck in nostalgia and self references. Let just stop to put number in MI games. They haven't been after Le Chuck's Revenge.
  • edited September 2009
    Looks like it was lucidity after all, but i think it was quite exciting to hear Daryll Rodriguez stating that he'd like to get the old team back together to work on some new titles. Looks like we could be in for some treats over the next few years. LA can put out all the starwars titles they want out so long as they use this "bread and butter" to fund some new original adventure games.

Hearing, from the horses mouth, that the new MI ventures have been profitable for LA and have surpassed expectations i think it's safe to say that they will definitely be investing some of that well earned starwars dollar in some cool new adventure games.

It's been great that Telltale have brought back some of these classics and i'll continue to buy the titles they release but its also reassuring to know that other companies can see that there's profit to be made on investing in adventure titles and they're now following suit. It's only a good thing for us!

Now, lets get a mighty petition going to send to LA and tell them exactly what the fans want, maybe they'll listen and make it!!
  • edited September 2009
    While it's nice that LucasArts are expressing an interest in the type of games they used to make, I was really hoping that this announcement wasn't a new Monkey Island game. And I'm glad it ultimately wasn't.

I hope, even with their renewed interest in adventure gaming, they continue to let Telltale develop the Monkey Island series, because while LA has an INTEREST they definitely don't have a PASSION for this area, and any future games will not be developed with the same love and attention they get here. And of course, one day they'll decide that this type of gaming isn't "commercially viable" and we'll have and Sam & Max: Freelance Police situation all over again...
  • edited September 2009
    syrup wrote: »
    i think it was quite exciting to hear Daryll Rodriguez stating that he'd like to get the old team back together to work on some new titles.

The single best thing about the video... He said this in a very similar "I know this WILL happen but we can't talk about it" kind of way as Ron Gilbert did about making a new MI game.

I wonder once Dave, Tim and Ron have their respective games released, it would be too exciting for words to get the dream team back together!

(What are Mike Levine & Larry Ahern doing these days?)
  • edited September 2009
    I hope it's a MI:2 and Curse In a Bundle.
  • edited September 2009
    syrup wrote: »
    Looks like it was lucidity after all

Yep.
  • edited September 2009

did you ever play Laisure Suit Larry 4?
  • edited September 2009
    I think Monkey Island 5 is drinking some Magaritas on a secret carribean Island together with Leisure Suit Larry 4.
  • edited September 2009

Do you think of Temple of Doom as 'Indiana Jones 1', because narratively it happens first? And Crystal Skull as something like 'Indiana Jones 5' because events are referred to that occurred offscreen in the period following the events of the previous film?
  • edited September 2009
    Rebirth wrote: »
    did you ever play Laisure Suit Larry 4?

Wow, someone still remembers that joke.
  • edited September 2009
    Do you think of Temple of Doom as 'Indiana Jones 1', because narratively it happens first?

Whoa whoa whoa! What? Since when?
  • edited September 2009
    Whoa whoa whoa! What? Since when?

All Indy movies state which year they take place. Raiders is set in 1936, Temple of Doom is set in 1935 and Crusade is set in 1938.
  • edited September 2009
    What do you mean since when? Temple of Doom takes place before Raiders. Raiders starts in the year 1936. Doom takes place in 1935.
  • edited September 2009
    Well, it seems that Lucidity WAS XBLA only after all... :-( Hopefully a PC version will come eventually.

Anyway I'm more excited for the interest Lucasarts has in adventure games again. I agree that I wouldn't mind all the Star Wars games they make if they use that cash to make adventure games.
  • edited September 2009
    Bagge wrote: »
    All Indy movies state which year they take place. Raiders is set in 1936, Temple of Doom is set in 1935 and Crusade is set in 1938.
    Jace Taran wrote: »
    What do you mean since when? Temple of Doom takes place before Raiders. Raiders starts in the year 1936. Doom takes place in 1935.

Where does it say that?

Also, just because LA starts making adventure games again doesn't mean they'll be any good. Everybody who used to work there who was responsible for the old adventure games is gone.
  • edited September 2009
    At the beggining of the movies.
  • edited September 2009
    Do you think of Temple of Doom as 'Indiana Jones 1', because narratively it happens first? And Crystal Skull as something like 'Indiana Jones 5' because events are referred to that occurred offscreen in the period following the events of the previous film?
    actually i DO think of temple of doom as happening first chronologically, because it does.

and i dont think of that last movie at all.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.