Lucasarts - Monkey Island 5 for reals?

13»

Comments

• edited September 2009
    pilouuuu wrote: »
    Well, it seems that Lucidity WAS XBLA only after all... :-( Hopefully a PC version will come eventually.

Anyway I'm more excited for the interest Lucasarts has in adventure games again. I agree that I wouldn't mind all the Star Wars games they make if they use that cash to make adventure games.
    i'm all for lucasarts making some more star wars games. there's a few of them that they seem to have forgotten about.

remember X-Wing and TIE Fighter? Tell me that wouldnt be awesome to get next-gen games in those series
  • edited September 2009
    Duate wrote: »
    actually i DO think of temple of doom as happening first chronologically, because it does.

and i dont think of that last movie at all.

Yes, but I'm sure you wouldn't call Raiders of the Lost Ark simply "Indiana Jones 2".
  • edited September 2009
    Bagge wrote: »
    Yes, but I'm sure you wouldn't call Raiders of the Lost Ark simply "Indiana Jones 2".
    that's because it's not called indiana jones 2

OR 1.

it's called raiders of the lost ark

raiders of the lost ark, temple of doom, indiana jones and the last crusade. i don't see any numbers there. i think of them by their titles, not the order they came out in. star wars is different. they are numbered.

monkey island isn't numbered either so it's kinda dumb to think of ToMI as MI5 OR as MI6

SoMI, MI2:LR, CoMI, EfMI, ToMI

only one of them has a number
  • edited September 2009
    Absolutely. TMI is as much MI5 as CMI is MI3 and EMI is MI4.
  • edited September 2009
    fair enough
  • edited September 2009
    actually i DO think of temple of doom as happening first chronologically, because it does.

and i dont think of that last movie at all.

This is a conflicting post, in a way. :)
    i'm all for lucasarts making some more star wars games. there's a few of them that they seem to have forgotten about.

remember X-Wing and TIE Fighter? Tell me that wouldnt be awesome to get next-gen games in those series

Absolutely. I wonder why they didn't continue that series beyond those two games. I guess there's the VS game but isn't that just the same games revamped? The Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games were also awesome.
  • edited September 2009
    pilouuuu wrote: »
    Well, it seems that Lucidity WAS XBLA only after all... :-( Hopefully a PC version will come eventually.

Anyway I'm more excited for the interest Lucasarts has in adventure games again. I agree that I wouldn't mind all the Star Wars games they make if they use that cash to make adventure games.

Lucidity will be available for PC too, via the download service. I just saw the details on the LA twitter. To be honest its looks pretty naff though, could be fun for an hour or so but it's never going to be a classic.

Also, i don't think it really matters who is currently working at LA, if they do decide to make more adventure titles i'm sure they'll be just as good a what came before. Tim Schaffer and David Grossman didnt work on games like Broken Sword, Beneath a Steal Sky or Toon Struck, and they still kicked ass As long as a reasonable amount of time and money is invested into making new adventure games and they aren't rushed out they'll be just as good as anything that has come before.

I'm personally looking forward to a sequel to Beneath a Steal Sky, there's rumors that this is going into production, and they're making a movie out of Broken Sword.
  • edited September 2009
    This is a conflicting post, in a way. :)

Absolutely. I wonder why they didn't continue that series beyond those two games. I guess there's the VS game but isn't that just the same games revamped? The Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games were also awesome.
    actually there was

X-Wing (plus 2 tours of duty/expansions)
    TIE Fighter (plus 1 tour i think?)
    X-Wing Vs. TIE Fighter (mainly an online multiplayer game)
    and then the best game imo: X-Wing Alliance

but that came out in like 1999 I believe. We're LONG overdue for some x-wing love. With today's game technology, a new one would be absolutely incredible.

ARRRGH come on lucasarts! We needs it!
  • edited September 2009
    The Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games were also awesome.

and yeah, we're long overdue for another Jedi Knight game too. I've played every one of them like 20 times through, and they're just not challenging anymore.

Maybe they should make Jedi Academy 2

which would make it Star Wars: Dark Forces 5: Jedi Knight 4: Jedi Academy 2 haha
  • edited September 2009
    I'm not sure if i want them to release a new x-wing game.
    That would be awesome in itself, but i'm pretty sure it would be filled with all those lame new trilogy ships :eek:
  • edited September 2009
    I'm not sure if i want them to release a new x-wing game.
    That would be awesome in itself, but i'm pretty sure it would be filled with all those lame new trilogy ships :eek:
    oh man, you're RIGHT.

NOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooo (do not want)
  • edited September 2009

which would make it Star Wars: Dark Forces 5: Jedi Knight 4: Jedi Academy 2 haha
    And if you have account of Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith, what number makes it then?

It would be awesome a Jedi Knight game during Yuuzhan Vong wars, though.
  • edited September 2009
    TIE Fighter (plus 1 tour i think?)

2 expansions, actually. The second expansion came only with the Collector's CD-ROM version, though, and was not released seperatly.
    And if you have account of Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith, what number makes it then?

It's an add-on. It's kinda Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith.
  • edited September 2009
    MOTS was my favorite out of the original games, even though it lacked the cheesy cut scenes with actors that Jedi Knight had. Some of the bosses in Jedi Knight were ridiculously hard. LOL
  • edited September 2009
    I would love a new Star Wars space flight simulator in the X-Wing style.

And I'm glad to know that Lucidity will also be available on the PC. It looks like a simple game, but it could be fun. It has a somewhat indie vibe, maybe it's just the graphics, but it probably will be the most innovative game Lucasarts had in ages.

It is the first time I'm excited at Lucasarts news after so many years... MI SE, TOMI, classic re-releases, Lucidity and maybe new adventure games! I'm wondering if TOMI is successful, which I think it is definitely being, then Lucasarts will outsource a big budget game to Telltale. Just a thought. And then they could hire Ron Gilbert too.

It would be easier than assembling a team to make adventure games at Lucasarts. They do it with Bioware and Star Wars RPGs. Why can't they do the same after seeing how talented (and good bussinessmen) these Telltale folks are?
  • edited September 2009
    Time to start saving up again?
  • edited September 2009
    This thread went in a strange direction...
  • edited September 2009
    syrup wrote: »
    Lucidity will be available for PC too, via the download service. I just saw the details on the LA twitter. To be honest its looks pretty naff though, could be fun for an hour or so but it's never going to be a classic.

Also, i don't think it really matters who is currently working at LA, if they do decide to make more adventure titles i'm sure they'll be just as good a what came before. Tim Schaffer and David Grossman didnt work on games like Broken Sword, Beneath a Steal Sky or Toon Struck, and they still kicked ass As long as a reasonable amount of time and money is invested into making new adventure games and they aren't rushed out they'll be just as good as anything that has come before.

I'm personally looking forward to a sequel to Beneath a Steal Sky, there's rumors that this is going into production, and they're making a movie out of Broken Sword.

I have to agree.. I love the style of Luciditity, but I was expecting it to be more of a classic point & click. The Lemmings style doesn't really do anything for me, and the gameplay videos just looked boring.
  • edited September 2009
    and yeah, we're long overdue for another Jedi Knight game too. I've played every one of them like 20 times through, and they're just not challenging anymore.

No, more like: Star Wars: Dark Forces 5: Jedi Knight 4: Jedi Outcast 3: Jedi Academy 2. And then maybe its own title just to make it that much longer.
  • edited September 2009
    I just watched a video of Gilbert at PAX saying he would love to do another monkey island game...
  • edited September 2009
    Í'd rather have em do a MI3 RG style instead of a MI5. I mean, if it's gonna be consistent, LeChuck has to be stealing monkeys. Which is stupid.
  • edited October 2009
    Yay! Full Throttle 2! :)

Maybe.

They were actually working on this at one point, but it got killed before it was ever finished. :(
  • edited October 2009
    eskimo wrote: »
    They were actually working on this at one point, but it got killed before it was ever finished. :(

Twice.
  • edited October 2009
    Brutal Legend is a sequel in spirit sort of.
  • edited October 2009
    Fury wrote: »
    Í'd rather have em do a MI3 RG style instead of a MI5. I mean, if it's gonna be consistent, LeChuck has to be stealing monkeys. Which is stupid.

Or they could do MI6, set after ToMI, because they're not completely retarded. The "MI5 takes place between EfMI and ToMI" thing was a joke; a way of explaining that this game begins at a climactic confrontation with no set up. It doesn't mean they actually want to make an adventure to fill in that gap.
    eskimo wrote: »

At two points, actually. It's lesser known, but there was a project to do one Curse of Monkey Island-style around 1997, as well as the latter 3D action-adventure thing everyone knows about.
  • edited October 2009
    As if LA could ever make a GOOD Monkey Island game...those days are over. there're no people there, who could do it properly.
  • edited June 2010
    X-Wing vs Tie Fighter 2!
  • edited June 2010
    As if LA could ever make a GOOD Monkey Island game...those days are over. there're no people there, who could do it properly.

Well to be fair.. they do not make funny games... there is nothing to indicate that they couldn't do a funny game... they could have funny people that work there we just do not know it yet.
  • edited June 2010
    Funny guy at LA: <<And then *chuckles* and then the monkey grabs the *haha* grabs the grog and DRINKS it!! *hysterical laughter*>>

...After shoving TOO many Star Wars games in our faces, do you really think there's any hope for them? If it's not about money... they won't do stuff just for "nostalgic feelings" and "to take a chance".
    If MI:SE didn't sell well, we wouldn't see MI2:SE. Moreover, the guy that actually liked adventure games is gone now. If LA bosses would give "free will and money" to the guys that are in charge of MI2 right now, we might start to see interesting stuff.

Otherwise? Star Wars Tamagotchi!
  • edited June 2010
    Actually Craig Derrick is the real hero at Lucasarts who brought us the Monkey Island Special Editions.. he is the one who fought to bring it to us and he is still at Lucasarts..

Sure Darrell Rodriguez had to give the ok but I think he is getting alot of Craig Derricks credit.
  • edited June 2010
    The previous president OK'd the special edition as well...the only problem was he didn't really care to treat classics with respect. He labeled the project the "catalogue exploitation project". Craig Derrick didn't want to be associated with something so disrespectful to the series so he held off until he could be sure to do it proper.....and then Darrell became president. So he deserves some credit.
  • edited June 2010
    As long as Craig Derrick is there I think there is a glimmer of hope..
  • edited June 2010
    Kolgax wrote: »
    X-Wing vs Tie Fighter 2!
    X-Wingslow vs Tie-Brush!!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.