Game of thrones season 5 episode 5 review

Great episode, they are at least starting to set up the movement now

• No kings landing or Arya but that okay I guess

Meereen

• BURN THEM ALL! Aww Dany your so lovely, seriously thought the fact the show isnt showing her as some messiah makes me actually like the character. Dont get me wrong I still find meereen pretty dull but what can you do
  • I really dont care about this whole grey worm/ missandrei romance
  • With the marriage dany's storyline goes back to book canon

Castle black

• Jon is so screwed.... I hope hes okay though
  • Needs more Tormund
  • Stannis again was pretty great, Shireen too and Davos
  • Sam and Gilly were decent enough
  • Stannis's wife is the worst person on the show and I cant wait for her to die

Winterfell

• Sansa is really naive... ugh come on girl I thought you'd wised up a bit. I kind of hoped she was faking in earlier episodes but she really isnt masking her feelings or anything
  • Roose and Ramsey are still psychopaths but damn their good villains (and more father/child bonding)
  • I know she has the next demon in her but I like fat Walda
  • Reek is Reek. Interested to see what they do with him
  • That kennel scene was a bit of a tease, It got me expecting a wolf

Valeria

• Tyrion and Jorah vs Stone men was decent and to be honest I predicted the outcome

Book stuff

• More R+L = J hints
  • I've read a theory that Jorah= Victorian. I.E a red priest heals his greyscale.... Weirdly that could work, better than cutting it out alltogether. If not Jorah just = connington.

Comments

• I wonder how long Roose Boltons new son will live if he ever gets born.. Ramsay is a psychopath but you can really enjoy him at the same time. Jon Snow are really fucked, he just made a huge error I think.

• Man I don't want Jorah to die. He and Tyrion just started to bond. :(

• Why do you say Sansa is naive? What were you expecting her to do?

• edited May 2015

Pretty good episode again :) Jorah and Tyrion was probably the best part, I loved the Valyria and the stonemen were perfectly creepy. Oh, and the twist with Jorah having the greyscale now is also interesting.

The Wall was nice again too. And since this was second episode in a row that Oldtown was namedropped I'm pretty sure Sam&Gilly will be sent there.

Winterfell had some nice scenes, though I must say it's kinda weird how open Sansa is about her disgust to the Boltons. And Meereen was decent enough, but still the weakest part of the episode (well Brienne's scene wasn't much better, but it was just one scene).

8,5/10

• Can't answer for the OP but I expected her to "maneuver" like LF told her to do instead of being like "This is my home, but the people are weird." and "Why are you doing this?" to Ramsay.

KCohere posted: »

Why do you say Sansa is naive? What were you expecting her to do?

• edited May 2015

Act. (As in acting)

Its what shes supposably learned how to do, I know it would be hard but she been in kings landing with Cersei and Margery you have to act and manipulate. Shes doing at the best keeping her head down but that's being generous. glaring at ramsey etc and forced politeness is kind of sansa from a few seasons ago who was in way over her head. That crazy girlfriend of ramsey's does a better job manipulating him.

Plus she is still making risky decisions, trusting the old women is one thing but walking down dark corridors alone at the gesture of a kennel masters daughter? I know shes trying but the show seems to be keeping her kind of naive about everything.

I'd hoped that with what she showed in the vale after lysa got pushed that she'd learned how to play the game and manipulate but she hasnt.At least not yet, maybe in future episodes this season she will draw on that

Why do you say Sansa is naive? What were you expecting her to do?

• "Stannis's wife is the worst person on the show and I cant wait for her to die"

The people who you want to die, Will never die... Believe me :) Or die in very late episodes (Didn't read books)

• JORRAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! :C

• STANNIS

CALL THE MAESTERS FROM EVERY CORNER OF THE WORLD

WE HAVE TO SAVE JORAH

• edited May 2015

Too bad he is gonna fight against the Boltons on the other continent right now. xD

STANNIS CALL THE MAESTERS FROM EVERY CORNER OF THE WORLD WE HAVE TO SAVE JORAH

• edited May 2015

I think that Jon Snow is stabbed and left to die (the books weren't so clear and concrete about his death) in the books. Yup, he's screwed! Sorry if I ruined it for you. I've been in a long and unwholesome relationship with Wikia. :)

• There has been some rumours about a huge battle sequence in one of the ending episodes this season. Could it be a deciding battle between Stannis and the Boltons? Or is it more likely to be a wildling fight?

• Shes not Littlefinger. Shes a girl in an impossible situation. I think she could use a little time to catch her breath and think things through. Seeing Theon had to have been enough to wrap her head around. I know people are expecting Sansa to stab the Boltons and be done with it but I think people Re expecting too much of her too soon.

Can't answer for the OP but I expected her to "maneuver" like LF told her to do instead of being like "This is my home, but the people are weird." and "Why are you doing this?" to Ramsay.

• It's Hardhome.

lindblom posted: »

There has been some rumours about a huge battle sequence in one of the ending episodes this season. Could it be a deciding battle between Stannis and the Boltons? Or is it more likely to be a wildling fight?

• I know, but I'm not even expecting her to manipulate, I expect her to keep up a basic act, but it's just that she is all but shouting "I hate you!" to the Boltons at that dinnertable. I mean shouldn't seeing Theon actually make her wary of angering Ramsay? I don't know if naive really is the right word, more like reckless.

Shes not Littlefinger. Shes a girl in an impossible situation. I think she could use a little time to catch her breath and think things thro

• I read the books ages ago

• edited May 2015

It was pretty obvious for book readers since episode 1 that all that Greyscale build up was for that scene and that Jorah would get the JC treatment. It was a cool scene and I loved Jorah and Tyrion's little conversation there but the show fucked up. They pretty much ruined The Smoking Sea, a place no known man has ever sailed and returned to tell the tale(not counting Euron who could be lying), it's rumored that the sky is red like the day of the doom and the sea is infested with demons and krakens but nope, guess it's just some foggy river...lame

Overall it was a pretty good episode and I think the fact that D&D didn't write the script had something to do with it

Oh and Grey Worm and Missandei...I literally facepalmed when they kissed, I'm so glad they killed off Barristan Selmy!

• edited May 2015

Shes a girl in an impossible situation. I think she could use a little time to catch her breath and think things through. people Re expecting too much of her too soon.

Look, I'm being ultimately kind to sansa and I prefer her to the books but its season 5, the excuses for her need to stop, criticism of her is fair at this point. Shes been in numerous situations and shes still from the looks of it learned absolutely nothing since her father was decapitated. And I'm not expecting much from her just some mild manipulation of ramsey or some political savvy.

Note that I like the character and I want her to improve and be more of a player. From the looks of it so far shes not.

Shes not Littlefinger. Shes a girl in an impossible situation. I think she could use a little time to catch her breath and think things thro

• I dont think they'll make the same mistake as GRRM by cutting out/delaying the climax to this storyline, theyre hyping Stannis vs Bolton and Hardhome is episode 8 so there's still room for the battle of Winterfell in later episodes

• Why were you so cryptic then?

I read the books ages ago

• myranda made my sausage tingle

• ....When?, In the title?

Because I dont want to spoil people a major event in a future book?

BeastInside posted: »

Why were you so cryptic then?

• Daznak's pit will be in episode 9 and Walk of Shame in 10, so myself I feel like the Battle of Winter will not be in this season. But of course I'll be very positively surprised if it is.

tmsmyth4 posted: »

I dont think they'll make the same mistake as GRRM by cutting out/delaying the climax to this storyline, theyre hyping Stannis vs Bolton and Hardhome is episode 8 so there's still room for the battle of Winterfell in later episodes

• Lord Friendzone ;-;

• It's like Telltale Game's Walking Dead Season 1 all over again! Cut it off now! Before it kills you!

• I would have thought she would asked for Theon to be executed for killing [del] the Miller's sons[/del] Bran and Rickon? Maybe Arya will kill him or Stannis will offer him to girlfriend with a fire fetish.

I know, but I'm not even expecting her to manipulate, I expect her to keep up a basic act, but it's just that she is all but shouting "I hat

• This just wouldn't be game of thrones without atleast one scene of man butt lol. Of course we got some awesome Miranda butt too :3

• Most book readers would disagree, the attentive ones at least

• edited May 2015

That's why I said "left to die" and not "died." He's too central to the plot and there's waaay too much mystery surrounding him for George R. R. Martin to just eliminate him.

Most book readers would disagree, the attentive ones at least

• K. my bad.

....When?, In the title? Because I dont want to spoil people a major event in a future book?

• They finally added Dorne to the intro!

Alt text

• That actually would be a pretty interesting penultimate episode. Daznak's Pit sounds way less interesting.

• It should be called Sunspear, but at least they added it I suppose. :/

They finally added Dorne to the intro!

• Its not like she hasn't been criticized harshly since season 1. I disagree that she has learned nothing. She is still alive for a reason. She uses her courtesies and her diplomacy to get along around people that would see her dead. She puts it on like armor and every situation she gets in, she learns a little bit more. She's not more than, what, fifteen, and has been used, manipulated, witnessed her father's murder, been held prisoner, forced into not one but now two marriages with the murderers of her family, almost killed by her aunt, and now left alone to try to fend for herself with the likes of the Boltons. She is learning but she doesn't know everything yet, and like I was saying before, seeing Theon and the state he was in had to throw her for a loop. She needs time to adjust. I feel like people project on her what they want her to do instead of what she's ready to do. I don't know even know how she can manipulate Ramsey who is a class A psycho, and couldn't go more than a day without showing it. When Sansa is ready, with the help of the others who have her back, she will do what needs to be done.

Shes a girl in an impossible situation. I think she could use a little time to catch her breath and think things through. people Re expecti

• I heard someone say that she was so disgusted about what Ramsey was doing to Theon/Reek that she couldn't be bothered to play act anymore and I think I agree. Frankly, if Roose doesn't know she hates him and doesn't want to be there, he is an idiot. But he pretends like he doesn't because he needs her. I think she drew a little strength and courage from that. I kind of liked her getting a little sassy.

I know, but I'm not even expecting her to manipulate, I expect her to keep up a basic act, but it's just that she is all but shouting "I hat

• The episode was good. I don't mind Missendei and Grey Worm on camera for a few minutes. I prefer it to Gilly & Samwell interaction. I'm surprised Jon got talked into leaving with the Wildlings, though I assume he won't die. I don't know whose worse in attitude, Stannis or Roose? They're both extremely dry characters. Did I miss something/who sent the message to Aemon on Dany's latest moves? I thought it was interesting that Dany married that guy. I assume he and other great house leaders were responsible for the Harpies. I wonder if this is just a tactic to find out information more than keep the peace. I guess Tyrion was lucky that the weather was warm or he'd end up like Luke.

• Can't go confusing the casual fans now, can we?

It should be called Sunspear, but at least they added it I suppose.

• Yes! I love Sansa's character.

Its not like she hasn't been criticized harshly since season 1. I disagree that she has learned nothing. She is still alive for a reason. Sh

• yeah he defs cant get with dany now either, unless he takes a jon connington or vicatrion greyjoy role from the books?

WalkerHH93 posted: »

Man I don't want Jorah to die. He and Tyrion just started to bond.

• i feel like the season will end on a cliffhanger/set up to the battle of winterfell, and season 6 will open with the battle

I dont think they'll make the same mistake as GRRM by cutting out/delaying the climax to this storyline, theyre hyping Stannis vs Bolton and Hardhome is episode 8 so there's still room for the battle of Winterfell in later episodes

Sign in to comment in this discussion.