Favorite quote (show, books, game)

What is yours?

Mine has to go to Wyman Manderly's speech, still pissed it won't be in the show most likely.

Foes and false friends are all around me, Lord Davos. They infest my city like roaches, and at night I feel them crawling over me.” The fat man’s fingers coiled into a fist, and all his chins trembled. “My son Wendel came to the Twins a guest. He ate Lord Walder’s bread and salt, and hung his sword upon the wall to feast with his friends. And they murdered him. Murdered, I say, and may the Freys choke upon their fables. I drink with Jared, jape with Symond, promise Rhaegar the hand of my own beloved granddaughter…but never think that means I have forgotten. The north remembers, Lord Davos. The north remembers, and the mummer’s farce is almost done. My son is home.

Comments

• "You think my life is some precious thing to me? That I would trade my honour for a few more years, of what? You grew up with actors. You learned their craft, and you learnt it well. But I grew up with soldiers. I learned how to die a long time ago."

Still gives me chills.

• “The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword.” - Lord Eddard Stark

• That's Ned Stark to Varys right?

"You think my life is some precious thing to me? That I would trade my honour for a few more years, of what? You grew up with actors. You le

• edited May 2015

Favorite monologue from Littlefinger:

Do you know what the realm is? It's the thousand blades of Aegon's enemies- a story we agree to tell each other over and over, until we forget that it's a lie.

Chaos isn’t a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some are given a chance to climb, they cling to the realm or the gods or love. Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

And one of my favorite lines from Tyrion:

I'm not questioning your honor, Lord Jonos. I'm denying it's existance.

• "What is honor compared to a woman's love? What is duty against the feel of a newborn son in your arms... or the memory of a brother's smile? Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy."

• It's funny, because Joffrey passed the sentence and didn't swing the sword...

“The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword.” - Lord Eddard Stark

• Yeah.

pcharl01 posted: »

That's Ned Stark to Varys right?

• Shows what kind of person he is.

AWESOMEO posted: »

It's funny, because Joffrey passed the sentence and didn't swing the sword...

• "What of your daughter's life, my lord? Is that a precious thing to you?"

"You think my life is some precious thing to me? That I would trade my honour for a few more years, of what? You grew up with actors. You le

• There are so many... But here's some:

"So many vows ... they make you swear and swear. Defend the king. Obey the king. Keep his secrets. Do his bidding. Your life for his. But obey your father. Love your sister. Protect the innocent. Defend the weak. Respect the gods. Obey the laws. It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or the other." - Jaime Lannister

"The dead are likely dull fellows, full of tedious complaints—the ground's too cold, my gravestone should be larger, why does he get more worms than I do..." Dolorous Edd

"I am an old man, an old knight, and I have seen more battles than most of you have years. Nothing is more terrible upon this earth, nothing more glorious, nothing more absurd. You may retch. You will not be the first. You may drop your sword, your shield, your lance. Others have done the same. Pick it up and go on fighting. You may foul your breeches. I did, in my first battle. No one will care. All battlefields smell of shit. You may cry out for your mother, pray to gods you thought you had forgotten, howl obscenities that you never dreamed could pass your lips. All this has happened too" - Ser Barristan to his men before Battle of Meereen.

• AWESOMEOAWESOMEO Banned
    edited May 2015

"Love your sister" - Jaime Lannister

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

There are so many... But here's some: "So many vows ... they make you swear and swear. Defend the king. Obey the king. Keep his secrets.

• AWESOMEOAWESOMEO Banned
    edited May 2015

"Nothing makes the past a sweeter place to visit than the prospect of imminent death."

• ** IF you think this has an happy ending you werent paying attention ** Ramsay

• Wyman Manderly's speech is one of the best in the entire series and it's hard to top that but I got one from his grandchild:

"I know about the promise … Maester Theomore, tell them! A thousand years before the Conquest, a promise was made, and oaths were sworn in the Wolf's Den before the old gods and the new. When we were sore beset and friendless, hounded from our homes and in peril of our lives, the wolves took us in and nourished us and protected us against our enemies. The city is built upon the land they gave us. In return we swore that we should always be their men. Stark men!"

Illyrio to Tyroin:

“You Westerosi are all the same. You sew some beast upon a scrap of silk, and suddenly you are all lions or

dragons or eagles. I can take you to a real lion, my little friend. The prince keeps a pride in his

menagerie. Would you like to share a cage with them?”

Oberyn to Tyrion:

"You are one judge in three.How could you save me?"

"Not as your judge. As your champion."

• Jaime after his story to Brienne on how he became the Kingslayer (books and show): "By what right does the wolf judge the lion? By what right?!"

• edited May 2015

Gared Tuttle (Game): "take your sword, when you die you know weren't good enough."

Rodrik (Game): "you know what they did to me at the twins? Shred my face tried to cut my skull open, but they couldn't kill me. And you are not the man to finish the job."

Ramsay (show): "if you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying much attention."

daenery(Show): "they can live in my new world or They can die in their old one"

• Game:

"Don't piss yourself on the way down"

• Gared to Britt

"Fookin bread or salt"

-Ludd Whitehill

"YOU SHOULD FEAR ME!"

-Gryff Whitehill

Show:

"If you think this has a happy ending you haven't been paying attention"

-Ramsay

All of Tywin's dialogue

"I'll gut you, you little cunt!"

Book:

"You are mistaken. It is not good. No tales were ever told of me. Do you think I would be sitting here if it were otherwise? Your amusements are your own, I will not chide you on that count, but you must be more discreet. A peaceful land, a quiet people. That has always been my rule. Make it yours"

-Roose Bolton

• "Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died."
    -Jorah Mormont

It seems like a simple quote, but it really is about the world of ASOIAF and foreshadowing (since the quote was in book one/season one) about how the only way people seem to win wars in this world is through treachery and betrayal.

• "Once I was as young as you." That seemed to make him sad.

"The rain feels good against my face, Sam. It feels like tears. Let me stay a while longer, I pray you. It has been a long time since last I wept."

Aemon's blind white eyes came open. "Egg?" he said, as the rain streamed down his cheeks. "Egg, I dreamed that I was old."

• edited July 2015

“My skin has turned to porcelain, to ivory, to steel.”

-Sansa Stark

“Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it.”

-Tyrion Lannister

“A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep it's edge.”

-Tyrion Lannister

“What is honor compared to a woman's love? What is duty against the feel of a newborn son in your arms . . . or the memory of a brother's smile? Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy."

-Maester Aemon

"You...fuck potatoes?"

-Gared Tuttle

• Such a good one :)

Jaime after his story to Brienne on how he became the Kingslayer (books and show): "By what right does the wolf judge the lion? By what right?!"

• "How many Starks do they have to behead before you figure it out". -The Hound.

• I don't remember the exact one, I've tried to find it but I couldn't. It was Maester Luwin telling Bran that the title of someone doesn't make him a valuable person.

I also like quotes by Stannis, Ned and Aemon, and many of those you guys have pointed out.

• “Ser? My lady?” said Podrick. “Is a broken man an outlaw?”

“More or less,” Brienne answered.

Septon Meribald disagreed. “More less than more. There are many sorts of outlaws, just as there are many sorts of birds. A sandpiper and a sea eagle both have wings, but they are not the same. The singers love to sing of good men forced to go outside the law to fight some wicked lord, but most outlaws are more like this ravening Hound than they are the lightning lord. They are evil men, driven by greed, soured by malice, despising the gods and caring only for themselves. Broken men are more deserving of our pity, though they may be just as dangerous. Almost all are common-born, simple folk who had never been more than a mile from the house where they were born until the day some lord came round to take them off to war. Poorly shod and poorly clad, they march away beneath his banners, ofttimes with no better arms than a sickle or a sharpened hoe, or a maul they made themselves by lashing a stone to a stick with strips of hide. Brothers march with brothers, sons with fathers, friends with friends. They’ve heard the songs and stories, so they go off with eager hearts, dreaming of the wonders they will see, of the wealth and glory they will win. War seems a fine adventure, the greatest most of them will ever know.

“Then they get a taste of battle.

“For some, that one taste is enough to break them. Others go on for years, until they lose count of all the battles they have fought in, but even a man who has survived a hundred fights can break in his hundred-and-first. Brothers watch their brothers die, fathers lose their sons, friends see their friends trying to hold their entrails in after they’ve been gutted by an axe.

“They see the lord who led them there cut down, and some other lord shouts that they are his now. They take a wound, and when that’s still half-healed they take another. There is never enough to eat, their shoes fall to pieces from the marching, their clothes are torn and rotting, and half of them are shitting in their breeches from drinking bad water.

“If they want new boots or a warmer cloak or maybe a rusted iron halfhelm, they need to take them from a corpse, and before long they are stealing from the living too, from the smallfolk whose lands they’re fighting in, men very like the men they used to be. They slaughter their sheep and steal their chickens, and from there it’s just a short step to carrying off their daughters too. And one day they look around and realize all their friends and kin are gone, that they are fighting beside strangers beneath a banner that they hardly recognize. They don’t know where they are or how to get back home and the lord they’re fighting for does not know their names, yet here he comes, shouting for them to form up, to make a line with their spears and scythes and sharpened hoes, to stand their ground. And the knights come down on them, faceless men clad all in steel, and the iron thunder of their charge seems to fill the world…

“And the man breaks.

“He turns and runs, or crawls off afterward over the corpses of the slain, or steals away in the black of night, and he finds someplace to hide. All thought of home is gone by then, and kings and lords and gods mean less to him than a haunch of spoiled meat that will let him live another day, or a skin of bad wine that might drown his fear for a few hours. The broken man lives from day to day, from meal to meal, more beast than man. Lady Brienne is not wrong. In times like these, the traveler must beware of broken men, and fear them…but he should pity them as well.”

When Meribald was finished a profound silence fell upon their little band. Brienne could hear the wind rustling through a clump of pussywillows, and farther off the faint cry of a loon. She could hear Dog panting softly as he loped along beside the septon and his donkey, tongue lolling from his mouth. The quiet stretched and stretched, until finally she said, “How old were you when they marched you off to war?”

“Why, no older than your boy,” Meribald replied. “Too young for such, in truth, but my brothers were all going, and I would not be left behind. Willam said I could be his squire, though Will was no knight, only a potboy armed with a kitchen knife he’d stolen from the inn. He died upon the Stepstones, and never struck a blow. It was fever did for him, and for my brother Robin. Owen died from a mace that split his head apart, and his friend Jon Pox was hanged for rape.”

“The War of the Ninepenny Kings?” asked Hyle Hunt.

“So they called it, though I never saw a king, nor earned a penny. It was a war, though. That it was.”

• edited May 2015

Another great one:

Bran thought about it. "Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?"

"That is the only time a man can be brave," his father told him.

• “Chaos isn’t a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail, and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some are given a chance to climb, but refuse. They cling to the realm, or love, or the gods…illusions. Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is. But they’ll never know this. Not until it’s too late.” - Littlefinger

• Tyrion (Show): We've had vicious kings and we've had idiot kings! But I don't think we've ever before been cursed with a vicious idiot for a king!

Daenerys (Show and Book): He was no dragon, fire cannot kill a dragon.

• It did not work so well for Theon.

“The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword.” - Lord Eddard Stark

• Show: "Come with me and take this city!" -Stannis or "If you keep talking I'm going to eat every fucking chicken in this room." -The Hound

Game: "What do I want? Everything, nothing..." -Ramsay

• Do you grow up with boy cousins, Lord Tywin? Sons of your father's bannermen, squires, stable boys?
    • of course
    • And you never?
    • No!!
    • not once, not in anyway?
    • Never
    • I congratulate you on your restraint. But it's a natural thing two boys going at each other beneath the sheets.

you gotta love Oleanna

• He tries, gets an A for effort.

It did not work so well for Theon.

• So many great ones to choose from!

"Jon Snow you don't know things".

"When you play the game of thrones, you either win or you don't win"

"Winter is on the way"

• This scene is so funny

* Do you grow up with boy cousins, Lord Tywin? Sons of your father's bannermen, squires, stable boys? * of course * And you never? * No!

• Lmfaoo yes

* Do you grow up with boy cousins, Lord Tywin? Sons of your father's bannermen, squires, stable boys? * of course * And you never? * No!

• lmfao YOU'RE RUINING EVERYTHING

So many great ones to choose from! "Jon Snow you don't know things". "When you play the game of thrones, you either win or you don't win" "Winter is on the way"

• "One ring to defeat lord vader" Ned Bean

• edited May 2015

"Oh, my sweet summer child, what do you know about fear? Fear is for the winter, when the snows fall a hundred feet deep. Fear is for the long night, when the sun hides for years, and children are born and live and die all in darkness. That is the time for fear, my little lord, when the White Walkers move through the woods... Thousands of years ago, there came a night that lasted a generation. Kings froze to death in their castles, same as the shepherds in their huts, and women smothered their babies rather than see them starve, and wept, and felt their tears freeze on their cheeks. So is this the sort of story that you like?" ~ Old Nan

"I'm NOT tired." ~Joffrey

"I shall wear this as a badge of honor."

"Wear it in silence." ~Cersei and Robert

"I did not do it. I didn't kill Joffrey, but I wish that I had. Watching your vicious bastard die gave me more relief than a thousand lying whores. I wish I was the monster you think I am. I wish I had enough poison for the whole pack of you. I would gladly give my life to watch you all swallow it." ~Tyrion

"Some people will always need help. That doesn't mean they're not worth helping." ~Meera

"If we die, we die. But first, we'll live." ~Ygritte

"As long as they can hurt our prince with impunity, the word "ironborn" means nothing!" ~Asha

"Storms come and go, the big fish eat the little fish and I keep on paddling." ~Varys

"Chaos is a laddah" ~Littlefinger

"There are no men like me, only me." -Jaimie

"I do not recognize your authority to dictate what is, and what is not my concern!" ~Kevan

"You want to lead someday? Then learn how to follow." -Jeor

"You are the Princess Shireen of House Baratheon. You're my daughter." ~Stannis

"You won't be a very good Hand if you see the word "knight" and say "ka-niggit"" ~Shireen

"Hodor."

• Jaime's threats at the siege of Riverrun.

"You've seen our numbers, Edmure. You've seen the ladders, the towers, the trebuchets, the rams. If I speak the command, my coz will bridge your moat and break your gate. Hundreds will die, most of them your own. Your former bannermen will make up the first wave of attackers, so you'll start your day by killing the fathers and brothers of men who died for you at the Twins. The second wave will be Freys, I have no lack of those. My westermen will follow when your archers are short of arrows and your knights so weary they can hardly lift their blades. When the castle falls, all those inside will be put to the sword. Your herds will be butchered, your godswood will be felled, your keeps and towers will burn. I'll pull your walls down, and divert the Tumblestone over the ruins. By the time I'm done no man will ever know that a castle once stood here. Your wife may whelp before that. You'll want your child, I expect. I'll send him to you when he's born. With a trebuchet."

• Stannis the Mannis, rightful king of Westeros, to Theon on the prospect of facing Ramsay Bolton's army in battle:

Stannis bristled at that. "I defeated your uncle Victarion and his Iron Fleet off Fair Isle, the first time your father crowned himself. I held Storm's End against the power of the Reach for a year, and took Dragonstone from the Targaryens. I smashed Mance Rayder at the Wall, though he had twenty times my numbers. Tell me, turncloak, what battles has the Bastard of Bolton ever won that I should fear him?"

Sign in to comment in this discussion.