Puppetmation

The animated adventures of Puppet Homestar?

Comments

• edited September 2009
    It was...interesting, to say the least...
  • edited September 2009
    Nothing is more fun than to rip off you skin to reveal something never seen before in the H*R universe. A human hand.
  • edited September 2009
    A human hand that goes by the name of Puppet Strong Sad.
  • edited September 2009
    I think it gave the Chapman Brothers the chance to show off a newly styled animation/puppets. If you didn't notice on the other puppet stuff there was no mix of animation and puppets, nor was the screen that big.
  • edited September 2009
    I think it gave the Chapman Brothers the chance to show off a newly styled animation/puppets. If you didn't notice on the other puppet stuff there was no mix of animation and puppets, nor was the screen that big.

Yeah, they just took pictures of the puppets in all poses and animated those images. Pretty clever, and lazy, if you ask me!
  • edited September 2009
    I found this on the Hrwiki forum, and, though I mostly disagree, he's got a point. Except for " sbcg4ap ep. 5 and sbemail 200 shouldve Been the end." that just plain wrong.

"It was sorta... lame, actually. A rare miss. It's like all of H*R's bad qualities rolled up into one cartoon: A plotless, purposeless non-sequitur full of stupid randomness, confusing dialogue, and tons of obscure inside jokes (and bear in mind, I liked Drive-Thru.)

Also, anyone notice that they're now updating every other Monday instead of every Monday? Less updates and the latest stuff seems to tries to be too current and edgy, and they're re-using a lot of old jokes (and not just well-timed inside references, but where they don't even belong.)

Could they finally be running out of ideas? This cartoon certainly makes me think the site's nearing its end. When I saw "dude, meta" on the toons menu, my stomach just sank... It seemed like Sbemail 200 and SBCG4AP Ep. 5 should have been the end of it (along with 20X6 level 10 and WMHIA's 10th aniversary.) They provided the closest thing H*R gets to closure and what we've seen since then has been sporadic and of dubious quality. There's been a lot of hit-and-miss since Sbemail 200 and it seemed the last of their soul went into the SBCG4AP games (and let's face it, an actual, commercial H*R video game would've made a kickass finale.)

I hope the next few episodes are of better quality, 'cause this is starting to look like what happened to Bob and George. In the end, I stopped reading that during the last few years 'cause it started to get repetitive and full of itself. I really don't want to lose interest in this the same way I did with BnG to the point where I stop coming back."
  • edited September 2009
    I think it was OK. It certainly is "on the edge" in terms of something new which they haven't done before (animating their puppets).

In terms of the puppet "toons". I liked the live video of the puppets doing Dangeresque: Puppet Squad. That was so funny and strange seeing puppets doing all that...
  • edited September 2009
    I think it was OK. It certainly is "on the edge" in terms of something new which they haven't done before (animating their puppets).

In terms of the puppet "toons". I liked the live video of the puppets doing Dangeresque: Puppet Squad. That was so funny and strange seeing puppets doing all that...

Agreed.
  • edited September 2009
    the hrwiki forum sucks:mad::mad: I like the cartoon.
  • edited September 2009
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    the hrwiki forum sucks:mad::mad: I like the cartoon.

Most of the Forum stuff from that website is crap, so I agree too.
  • edited September 2009
    I found this on the Hrwiki forum, and, though I mostly disagree, he's got a point. Except for " sbcg4ap ep. 5 and sbemail 200 shouldve Been the end." that just plain wrong.

"It was sorta... lame, actually. A rare miss. It's like all of H*R's bad qualities rolled up into one cartoon: A plotless, purposeless non-sequitur full of stupid randomness, confusing dialogue, and tons of obscure inside jokes (and bear in mind, I liked Drive-Thru.)

Also, anyone notice that they're now updating every other Monday instead of every Monday? Less updates and the latest stuff seems to tries to be too current and edgy, and they're re-using a lot of old jokes (and not just well-timed inside references, but where they don't even belong.)

Could they finally be running out of ideas? This cartoon certainly makes me think the site's nearing its end. When I saw "dude, meta" on the toons menu, my stomach just sank... It seemed like Sbemail 200 and SBCG4AP Ep. 5 should have been the end of it (along with 20X6 level 10 and WMHIA's 10th aniversary.) They provided the closest thing H*R gets to closure and what we've seen since then has been sporadic and of dubious quality. There's been a lot of hit-and-miss since Sbemail 200 and it seemed the last of their soul went into the SBCG4AP games (and let's face it, an actual, commercial H*R video game would've made a kickass finale.)

I hope the next few episodes are of better quality, 'cause this is starting to look like what happened to Bob and George. In the end, I stopped reading that during the last few years 'cause it started to get repetitive and full of itself. I really don't want to lose interest in this the same way I did with BnG to the point where I stop coming back."

Yeah. I think they're gonna retire soon. A very sad fact indeed. But y'know, the best thing to do do to end it would be to make a full-length motion picture in the movie theaters. I mean, they've done everything else, why stop there? They have the money! They could get a bunch of professional Flash animators and script directors, and end HomestarRunner.com in style! Would you think this would be a good idea? Or am I just dreaming?

I'm probably just having false hopes. Oh, well. I'd might as well keep dreaming.
  • edited September 2009
    Well, I think you and I are having the same dream... and speaking of movies...

The other day I went to see a movie, and did the TABASSSCOOOOOOOO routine. You should've seen all the looks I got. XD
  • edited September 2009
    There's been a lot of hit-and-miss since Sbemail 200 and it seemed the last of their soul went into the SBCG4AP games (and let's face it, an actual, commercial H*R video game would've made a kickass finale.)

Well, H*R has always been Hit-or-miss. Remember "boring?" Remember "the process?" Remember "big white face?" All stinkers. Sure H*R has been making a few stinkers as of late, but they have also been making hits, like "Independent", "Dictionary", "April Fool 09", and my personal favorite, "Hremail 7."

Also, I really HATED SBemail 200. The whole thing was a distraction and didn't even answer the email.
  • edited September 2009
    I, personally, think that everyone at the hrwiki has a stick up their ass. They take a web cartoon seriously, instead of just enjoying it, and write essays on why a toon sucked. I mean, lighten up!
  • edited September 2009
    Well, H*R has always been Hit-or-miss. Remember "boring?" Remember "the process?" Remember "big white face?" All stinkers. Sure H*R has been making a few stinkers as of late, but they have also been making hits, like "Independent", "Dictionary", "April Fool 09", and my personal favorite, "Hremail 7."

Also, I really HATED SBemail 200. The whole thing was a distraction and didn't even answer the email.

I really found the Cheat Commandos ones boring. Those suckquakes of toons were a total wastenado of my timeforestfire.
  • edited September 2009
    I, personally, think that everyone at the hrwiki has a stick up their ass. They take a web cartoon seriously, instead of just enjoying it, and write essays on why a toon sucked. I mean, lighten up!

just clearin it up, i did not write that. you probably got that already, but jus' saying.
  • edited September 2009
    Yeah, I knew you didn't write that. But I was responding to what you quoted.
  • edited September 2009
    I have to agree with the quoted forum-goer that will never see my support or agreement.

As much as I see the HRwiki as being a group that takes the site a great bit too seriously, that seems like an extremely sobered idea of what has been happening. The site had this sporadic explosion of good ideas following SBemail 200, and now it's kind of settling back into the comfortable and easy realm of in-jokes and non-sequitors that doesn't produce anything resembling wit or humor. It's the kind of thing that appeals to people that find the word "toast" inherently amusing.
  • edited September 2009
    It's the kind of thing that appeals to people that find the word "toast" inherently amusing.

I kid you not. I laughed when I saw the word toast in quotations.
  • edited September 2009
    Snicklin wrote: »
    Yeah. I think they're gonna retire soon. A very sad fact indeed. But y'know, the best thing to do do to end it would be to make a full-length motion picture in the movie theaters. I mean, they've done everything else, why stop there? They have the money! They could get a bunch of professional Flash animators and script directors, and end HomestarRunner.com in style! Would you think this would be a good idea? Or am I just dreaming?

End in style my ass! The Chapman Brothers (and Maleissa) are definately not gonna retire the toon. F.Y.I. This is there job, if you hadn't noticed. This is there passion, they've been doing it for years. What makes you think they want to drop it all now? Yeah you sure are dreaming, PAL! Their site gets corrupt from people who comment stupid stuff like: "Oh that last toon was bad, it was to short!" "Oh, why wasn't there more characters." Oh this, Oh That! Stuff like that can get really irratating and can piss some people off. All because of some low, bossy, UNGRATEFUL fans! (Not metioning anyones name...) Why can't we all just enjoy the cartton the way it is? Why do some people have to complain and criticize on them? Sure some of the toons are "Stinkers". But is every Spongebob Episode perfect? Is every other freakin' Cartoon that great? Noooooooo. So why do we criticize the Homestar Runner cartoons? Most if not every cartoon have one thing in common: none of them are perfect. So why can't we all just enjoy the cartoon the way it is? Do we have to argue about how bad it was, or how short it was. No we don't
  • edited September 2009
    That's kinda... a little somewhat of a node of harsh, I think. It looks like you were saying that you DEMAND that the Chapman Brothers continue their career no matter how they feel.

And if what you said is true, that still doesn't change the fact that they should start working on a full length movie! I've dreamed of that since I was introduced to the 'toon by my dad. Can you imagine? All the graphics and the action and the ambition and the oh-so original Chapman Bros-style humor? No?

Then it is very clear that you are not a fan of Homestar Runner.
  • edited September 2009
    ....and, no, we don't HAVE to discuss it, but it just makes for conversation. That's all. And if ya look at the other 'New Homestar!' threads in here, you'll see that they generate mostly positive reviews from us. It sounds like your angry at others some other place and you're putting your anger at them towards us for 1 sub-par cartoon.
  • edited September 2009
    That's kinda... a little somewhat of a node of harsh, I think. It looks like you were saying that you DEMAND that the Chapman Brothers continue their career no matter how they feel.

And if what you said is true, that still doesn't change the fact that they should start working on a full length movie! I've dreamed of that since I was introduced to the 'toon by my dad. Can you imagine? All the graphics and the action and the ambition and the oh-so original Chapman Bros-style humor? No?

Then it is very clear that you are not a fan of Homestar Runner.

I didn't say anything about having them not make a movie, that would be cool. I'm saying that they should continue on with what there doing. I don't care if they make a movie or not. (Well, now I do care.....hmmmm.) It would just be sad to see them leave for good.....it would be.....sniff ......heartbreaking and what not. And I was in a bad mood anyway.....Sorry...
  • edited September 2009
    I really found the Cheat Commandos ones boring. Those suckquakes of toons were a total wastenado of my timeforestfire.

Agreed. And: Bwah-hah-hah! :)
  • edited September 2009
    I didn't say anything about having them not make a movie, that would be cool. I'm saying that they should continue on with what there doing. I don't care if they make a movie or not. (Well, now I do care.....hmmmm.) It would just be sad to see them leave for good.....it would be.....sniff ......heartbreaking and what not. And I was in a bad mood anyway.....Sorry...

:D That's okay. {Pats you on the back}
  • edited September 2009
    :D That's okay. {Pats you on the back}

YOUR SO FORGIVING!.........snif...and what not ;)
  • edited September 2009
    Having the Chap Men spiral downwards in quality, succumbing to mediocrity and tedium would be far sadder than the site shutting down after a good run.
  • edited September 2009
    Having the Chap Men spiral downwards in quality, succumbing to mediocrity and tedium would be far sadder than the site shutting down after a good run.

Sounds like Sliders season 5.
  • edited September 2009
    It's the kind of thing that appeals to people that find the word "toast" inherently amusing.
    I kid you not. I laughed when I saw the word toast in quotations.

Non-sequiturs and absurdity are funny. Add: character driven stories keep people into the story.

This isn't a TV series that's about to jump the shark. What we have is a very small world (Free Country USA) that's more like a string of Terry Pratchett novels, rather than a plot driven story, like Heroes.

I thought the combination of puppets and animation was great. It emphasized the weirdness of the hand-inside-of-the-puppet moment that freaked out Strong Bad. Way to break the fourth wall, while still balancing cute and creepy!

Strong Sad Hand just ruined it for everybody, tho, according to the Tweets I've been reading. They said Blanket Jackson was quoted as saying, "I thought he was being wimpy about having stinging Sharpie eyes."
  • edited September 2009
    Walters wrote: »
    Non-sequiturs and absurdity are funny. Add: character driven stories keep people into the story.
    Goat cheese is the metal. How about the donut hole? They will do fine. The apple pie is infested with iguanas?! Banana peels in a straight-jacket, I've been had!

Even if the resulting creation is HUMOROUS for some, it sure isn't WITTY or SMART writing. These kinds of people are so easy to write for because they don't REQUIRE there to be an actual JOKE involved, merely the presence of words that have a perceived inherent amusing quality.
    This isn't a TV series that's about to jump the shark. What we have is a very small world (Free Country USA) that's more like a string of Terry Pratchett novels, rather than a plot driven story, like Heroes.
    Terry Pratchett is NOT filled with mindless non-sequitors and to be story-driven, Heroes would have to actually have a STORY rather than just a series of events that may or may not matter or be related to anything else. Comparing Homestar Runner to Terry Pratchett is an astonishing insult to Pratchett's work, even at Homestar Runner's very best.
  • edited September 2009
    Are you saying that the Chapman Brothers are nothing in comparison to Terry Pratchett?
  • edited September 2009
    Are you saying that the Chapman Brothers are nothing in comparison to Terry Pratchett?
    It's simply not a comparison that can be made. Pratchett is at his worst is easily better than the Chapman Brothers at their very best.
  • edited September 2009
    It's simply not a comparison that can be made. Pratchett is at his worst is easily better than the Chapman Brothers at their very best.

You gotta email that quote to Strong Bad, lol! I wonder what he'd say about that... :p
  • edited October 2009

I believe that Terry Pratchett has a different style of humor than the Chapman Brothers. Terry is good at what he's good at while the Chapman Brothers are as so.

I believe Terry, in accordance to your humor perspective, is better than the Chapman Bros. I am like the opposite, though I still do tend to like Pratchett's works.

I also believe that the Chap Bros. do not revolve around non-sequitors.

And lastly, why are you who uses an avatar, user title, and interests all based on the Chapman Bros. comparing them to Pratchett?
  • edited October 2009
    I believe that Terry Pratchett has a different style of humor than the Chapman Brothers. Terry is good at what he's good at while the Chapman Brothers are as so.

I believe Terry, in accordance to your humor perspective, is better than the Chapman Bros. I am like the opposite, though I still do tend to like Pratchett's works.

I also believe that the Chap Bros. do not revolve around non-sequitors.

And lastly, why are you who uses an avatar, user title, and interests all based on the Chapman Bros. comparing them to Pratchett?
    I certainly don't DISLIKE the Chapman brothers. In fact, I love a lot of their works, though my favorite stuff is underrepresented(The Videlectrix content). I love their parody and veneration of these games because I grew up with those, and they are so true, and in the case of Peasant's Quest it's actually a really good adventure game on its own merits. So yeah, I love the stuff that the Chapmans put out when it's smart, it's just that the in-jokes and "random" bits are their very, very weakest stuff. Also, I'm a bigger fan of Pratchett-style humor, what can I say?

Oh, and the Interests area of my profile doesn't have any Chapman stuff in it. In fact, it has nothing in it, FYI. So it's just the username and matching user title. =p
  • edited October 2009
    You're absolutely right about that last part. Sorry for judging you. :o
  • edited October 2009
    You're absolutely right about that last part. Sorry for judging you. :o
    I'm glad we can clear that up! :D

...though now I do want to fill it with Peasant's Quest-themed things. "Throwing Babies, Eating Chicken Feed, Smelling like a Peasant, Dressing like a Peasant, and Being on Fire like a Peasant, etc."

Man, Peasant's quest is awesome. Best flash game ever.
  • edited October 2009
    I loooved it!!!
  • edited October 2009

Man, Peasant's quest is awesome. Best flash game ever.

"Tis true RD, tis true."

I hope they come out witha Peasnt Quest 2 or at least another game... but all we could do is wait....sigh....
Sign in to comment in this discussion.