Some good ol' hypocrisy

I'm going to be calling out the people who were absolutely disgusted by the beating and blinding of Kenny while doing the same and even worse to Gryff. The situations are practically the same, Gryff was defenseless. Kenny was defenseless and they were both beaten and blinded out of sick pleasure when they didn't need to be. Really, the only reason I could see people saying Gryff getting maimed was ok but Kenny getting maimed wasn't was because the the plot tells you Gryff is a bad guy and deserves it but when Kenny gets it.... OH NO! Same circumstances and even worse brutality

Comments

• Except that Carver was a sociopath who believed he had the right to imprison people to his camp.

I remember clearly Ludd looking at Ethan bleed to death and say "we brought this upon ourselves". And I remember Gryff brutishly beating down a crippled man and a maester.

• edited May 2015

I threw two punches and then i remembered Lee punching Saint Johns while Clem was watching and i stopped.

• It's the same level of brutality. The only difference was the plot was telling you who was right and wrong. It's just as maybe even more brutal than Kenny's beating. And wouldn't this lack of humanity and straight up torture mean Rodrik is a sociopath? Or is he completely innocent because the plot shouts he's a good guy.

Except that Carver was a sociopath who believed he had the right to imprison people to his camp. I remember clearly Ludd looking at Ethan

• Uh-huh.

Only soon after Carver beats Kenny, Kenny turned and beat Carver to death with a crowbar to the point he didn't have a face anymore. (Justified, mind you.)

Gryff beats and bullies a crippled man. And then starts beating on the Maester.

For the record, I only hit Gryff three times.

• edited May 2015

(Initial Brutality) Gryff beating Rodrik = Carver beating Kenny

(Revenge) Rodrik beating Gryff = Kenny beating Carver

In my eyes it's the same exact thing. No hypocrisy here.

Clemenem posted: »

It's the same level of brutality. The only difference was the plot was telling you who was right and wrong. It's just as maybe even more bru

• Gryff didn't really do any life ending damage. He punched him a few times and steps on his arm slightly but really no intention of killing or even seriously injuring Rodrik he even said he was trying to teach him a lesson. What Rodrik did was ten fold

Tyranitar posted: »

(Initial Brutality) Gryff beating Rodrik = Carver beating Kenny (Revenge) Rodrik beating Gryff = Kenny beating Carver In my eyes it's the same exact thing. No hypocrisy here.

• Rodrik beating Gryff is much more akin to Kenny beating Carver with the crowbar than Carver beating Kenny with the walkie talkie. Gryff is the one who beat Rodrik first for virtually no reason. And unlike Kenny, Rodrik was already a cripple when he was beaten down at the end of Episode 3. This isn't even getting into the way Gryff oppressed Ironrath or beat the shit out of the Maester just before Gryff was determinantly beaten himself. Gryff had it coming.

• I'm sorry, Kenny never actually went and taunted Crawford about his brother's death killed in cold blood, nor did he threaten to do the same to his sibling left neither did he actually humiliate and beat him down in front of his whole family and community.

Might want to put things in perspective and not forget the context here.

• Oh please give me a break. Kenny is innocent blah blah blah, Did you forget he killed one of Carver's friends and shot Carver as well as wanting a herd to storm Howe's and kill everyone. I think people don't look at things from other perspectives, Kenny was no doubt a villain in Carver's eyes

Nonoru posted: »

I'm sorry, Kenny never actually went and taunted Crawford about his brother's death killed in cold blood, nor did he threaten to do the same

• The situations are practically the same

No they aren't.

It's clear that in TWD S2 Carver is beating the good guy (arguably cause I know you Kenny haters out there have your arguments for Kenny being satan, but factually we know his intentions were good which is why I'm calling him the good guy here). In GoT we're beating up the bad guy, so here

Good guy beats bad guy = good (in our eyes)

Bad guy beats good guy (or at least neutral guy, whatever) = bad

• edited May 2015

The injuries are the same, the scenarios are not.

Kenny and Gryff and Rodrik and Carver are all completely different people in completely different situations. Carver basically always had the upper hand, and his beating of Kenny was cruel. Sure, Kenny was no saint and killed one of his men, but they were also in a hostage situation that Carver initiated, and Kenny was held against his will at Carver's camp.

Gryff has done nothing good or redeemable that we had seen so far. Forcing several people against their will and beating Rodrik at every chance he had, Rodrik was not exactly unjustified in seeking some revenge for Elaena, the Maester, and himself.

Mind you, I only hit him once and do not like hitting him more than four times. I'm just saying those that do aren't as bad as Carver in this sense.

• edited May 2015

[removed]

Green613 posted: »

The situations are practically the same No they aren't. It's clear that in TWD S2 Carver is beating the good guy (arguably cause

• edited May 2015

Kenny's death so please don't label me as such

I didn't? :p Don't really know what you're talking about.

• Kenny- Did nothing to Carver, but got revenge on him later (Same with Rodrik, got beaten down, but can get revenge later)

Gryff- Constantly tease and punish Ironrath for no reason.

•  Did nothing to Carver,

Kinda bs there, he killed one of his friends and shot him in the process. Later he steals a necessary tool Carver ha in attempt to release a herd on Carver's camp in attempt Ty o kill them all.

That's your definition of nothing, huh?

Kenny- Did nothing to Carver, but got revenge on him later (Same with Rodrik, got beaten down, but can get revenge later) Gryff- Constantly tease and punish Ironrath for no reason.

• Oh, I didn't mean you, I meant that inevitable person who reads my comment and replies to me with a novel on why Kenny is satan and I don't know what I'm talking about.

AND, GREENO BOY?!?!?!?

BRUH

I know you Kenny haters out there have your arguments for Kenny being Satan You sure bout that, Greeno boy :P

• I know you Kenny haters out there have your arguments for Kenny being Satan

You sure bout that, Greeno boy :P

Kenny's death so please don't label me as such I didn't? Don't really know what you're talking about.

• Carver must've really cared about that "friend" considering he's not mentioned at all later in the game, the rest i don't even know what you said.

And if Carver was that angry at Kenny for all that, he would've took him in his office instead of Alvin.

Did nothing to Carver, Kinda bs there, he killed one of his friends and shot him in the process. Later he steals a necessary tool C

• Where did I state that Kenny never wronged Carver? I said that the context is different.

Don't be so desperate to twist my words in order to make a point, that's both cheap and rather unsightly.

Oh please give me a break. Kenny is innocent blah blah blah, Did you forget he killed one of Carver's friends and shot Carver as well as wan

• edited May 2015

You seem to be ignorant of what Kenny has done. Sure Gryff bullied Rodrik but Kenny's actions as they often are put others, including Carver and the people he cared for in danger. Kenny being far more detrimental

Nonoru posted: »

Where did I state that Kenny never wronged Carver? I said that the context is different. Don't be so desperate to twist my words in order to make a point, that's both cheap and rather unsightly.

• There is a bit of a difference between defending your own home, and just beating a person you are trying to enslave. I'd of been happy had Gryff simply shown some tact, but instead he tried to take over my family and home.

I have no interest in turning Gryff into a slave. Unlike Carver who wanted Kenny to be his bitch. If the Whitehill's left us alone we wouldn't have these problems.

• Pretty sure Gryff broke the Maester's fingers.. which is life threatening when your only surgeon can't use his fucking hands.

Gryff didn't really do any life ending damage. He punched him a few times and steps on his arm slightly but really no intention of killing o

• I'm partly wondering how many people kept on clicking the prompts in hopes that they were one click away from killing Gryff. I held back once the cane came up, but I really wanted to make a crack at Gryff for calling my bluff and making a quip about using a walking stick against him. I promise Elaena that I'll kill him to protect her, and suddenly I'm not allowed to fetch a cheese knife? It worked out well in the end, I guess.

• Alt text

yyyggg posted: »

I threw two punches and then i remembered Lee punching Saint Johns while Clem was watching and i stopped.

• fishing for upvotes from the kenny haters yea? the situations are completely different just because the injury was the same doesn't mean you can compare them

• You're not a good listener, I've just said I'm not a Kenny hater and have already asked not to be labeled as one. The beating and blinding of a man who can't defend himself and no longer posed harm was identical.

Jewfreeus posted: »

fishing for upvotes from the kenny haters yea? the situations are completely different just because the injury was the same doesn't mean you can compare them

• How can you be sure Gryff is bad guy when you didn't see his side of story?

The situations are practically the same No they aren't. It's clear that in TWD S2 Carver is beating the good guy (arguably cause

• ^^^ Exactly my point, it's all about perspective

Gapaot posted: »

How can you be sure Gryff is bad guy when you didn't see his side of story?

• It is all about perspective. Imagine if we were playing as the Whitehills, if we were Gryff. However, right now, we are playing as the Forresters, as Rodrik. This is the way narration in storytelling goes. There are always two sides to a story, but the point of storytelling is to make the audience/players sympathize with the main characters/the playable characters. And in the GoT universe, none of the characters are either only good or bad, that's what makes the story more intriguing and the choices harder. We didn't know Gryff had been bullied as a child, nor did Rodrik. And that's the whole point.

• edited May 2015

Gryff beats and bullies a crippled man.

Yeah, Kenny never beats and bullies a disabled person does he.

Oh, hang on..

Uh-huh. Only soon after Carver beats Kenny, Kenny turned and beat Carver to death with a crowbar to the point he didn't have a face anymo

• I never claimed to be disgusted by what happened to Kenny, so...

• edited May 2015

How hard is it to get that both characters should be judged separately rather than being compared to each other? The whole premise of your open post is already making a mistake by assuming that the circumstances around the characters are even remotely close enough to make a parallel. It is not the case.

Oh yes, I know what Kenny did. I don't even appreciate the character that much. However, you can't put Carver and Rodrik on the same scale and compare their actions because their circumstances are different, the setting itself plays a major role in influencing the characters' decision in most stories (but even more so in TWD). It's like saying it's fair to judge one guy who killed in a warfare context and someone living in a quarter of Washington DC doing as much, equally.

You may want to take in consideration the degree of resentment (or maybe the word frustration fits in here better) people who played as Rodrik had to build up to this point in the game. You might as well considerate the fact that Kenny, as human (or not, according to some of his actions) as he is, never was a vessel for players to impersonate him. Etc... The list is endless.

Once again, context and perspective. It's not the same even if it appears to be similar. Things are never that simple.

You seem to be ignorant of what Kenny has done. Sure Gryff bullied Rodrik but Kenny's actions as they often are put others, including Carver and the people he cared for in danger. Kenny being far more detrimental

• I did see his side of the story when he was pushing Rodrik's ass to the ground at the end of episode 3.

• edited May 2015

It might not be right but revenge is revenge. Also people who do right things doesnt live long in Westeros.

Gryff didn't really do any life ending damage. He punched him a few times and steps on his arm slightly but really no intention of killing o

• edited May 2015

We do see into Gryff's side of the story when Gwyn tells us about the portrait. Yes, Gryff was bullied by his brothers. HOWEVER, THIS DOES NOT GIVE HIM AN EXCUSE TO BEAT A CRIPPLED MAN, BEAT A DEFENSELESS MAESTER, FORCE A WOMAN INTO AN UNWANTED MARRIAGE, & PUSH PEOPLE AROUND IN A PLACE THAT'S NOT EVEN HIS. Gryff deserved what he got. He had it coming.

• He most certainly does. I'm speaking solely on the matter of Carver.

Flog61 posted: »

Gryff beats and bullies a crippled man. Yeah, Kenny never beats and bullies a disabled person does he. Oh, hang on..

• I think it's the part where he beat up Rodrik, beat up the Maester and wanted to punish Talia, but that's just me y'know.

• I absolutely agree with you. Gryff'is main problem is that he feels the need to prove his worth. And he was continually bullied by his older siblings as a child. It would be nice if they allowed you talk sense into his head. Although sometimes that doesn't work.

• You didn't see what Forresters did to Whitehills to make them so mad. And I can actually see Ludd's claims that Forresters were arrogant and bitchy, it's not like both are perfect, and Whitehills didn't even had ironwood (maybe Forresters deliberately fucked up their teaching, and Whitehills just didn't know proper way of caring for Ironwood trees, lost them, and smug Forresters remained only suppliers)

I did see his side of the story when he was pushing Rodrik's ass to the ground at the end of episode 3.

• YellowsnoYellowsno Banned
    edited May 2015

Except the situations were not the same at all. A generally good guy that was being held against his will in a prison camp takes a beating from his captor and loses his eye for it. With GOT a snobby prick that has beaten on a crippled man and other people for absolutely no reason for the past 2 episodes gets beaten by the same crippled man. 1st scenario= Good/Neutral guy gets beaten by the antagonist. 2nd scenario= Antagonist gets beaten by good guy because he had been picked on and beaten by the same antagonist.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.