The Ice Dragon

Does anyone belive that gared will find a dragon in the north grove in episode 6?
The title of the episode is: The ice dragon.

Comments

• edited June 2015

I hope so but it sounds too good to be true

"Duncan Tuttle delivers some ironwood to Castle Black and gives his nephew Gared a map that belonged to Lord Gregor Forrester that seems to show how to find the North Grove. Gregor has written on the map that the North Grove is located "beneath the watchful eye of the Ice Dragon"

Source: http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Ice_dragons

• I think the 'Ice Dragon' will make an appearance I don't know if it will be an actual dragon, it could be a puzzle or a riddle like a metaphor or it could be a title for a person.

• I doubt it's a DRAGON, just for the fact that I doubt they'd be allowed to introduce a whole new dragon like that. I think it represents something or other.

• Unless they completely want to destroy the whole concept of Games of Thrones, there won't be any dragon. There's a reason why there are only three dragons left, and there's a reason why Daenerys has them.

My bet is it's a mountain, or a statue. Or even the skeletal remains of an ancient dead dragon, but not a living dragon

• edited June 2015

Every fan of ASOIAF knows that Ice dragon is also a constellation of stars. Beneath the Ice dragon means under the stars.

• I'm pretty sure it's a constellation. In the books the "ice dragon" was mentioned a few times as a constellation which will guide you through the north.

The Sworn Sword

On the way to Standfast with his squire Egg, Dunk looks up to the night sky and sees his familiar friends, the various star constellations, one of which is the Ice Dragon. There are clouds in the north so the dragon's blue eye is obscured.

A Clash of Kings

When Bran asks the wildling woman Osha how to get to the Wall and beyond she tells him to "look for the Ice Dragon", and chase the blue star in the rider's eye.

A Storm of Swords

During their journey to the Wall, when Bran and his companions lost their way a few times, they needed only to wait for a clear cold night when the clouds did not intrude, and look up at the sky for the Ice Dragon. Bran remembers that the blue star in the dragon’s eye points the way north, as Osha had told him once. The night before the planned attempt by the wildlings to scale the Wall Jon Snow goes to look for Ghost, he looks at the stars and thinks that he is old friends with the Ice Dragon. Trying to get back to the Wall from Craster's Keep with Gilly and her babe Samwell Tarly follows the Ice Dragon's tail on clear nights to ensure that they keep going south.

• It's also worth mentioning that the extremely hardcore Game of Thrones fans know it isn't just a constellation in the sky. It's a mythcial creature that has been mentioned in the books three times by Jon Snow as an old legend told to him by Old Nan. In the World of Fire and Ice book, in the chapter about the Shivering Sea, it mentions the legend of the Ice Dragon. It's supposedly a creature three times the size of the Targaryen dragons, has pale blue eyes like the White Walkers, has translucent wings, and breaths ice so cold it can turn a man into a solid block of ice within a heartbeat. It's also been reportedly seen by at least 50 separate Houses. People also consider it a legend up there with White Walkers, Children of the Forest, and Mammoths and Giants. Except all four of those creatures are real, they just live in secluded regions north of the Wall. Whose to say the Ice Dragon isn't real? It could be the Guardian of the North Grove, perhaps we have to fight it. All we know is, its not likely the secret the North Grove contains, its far more likely a watchdog of sorts. I for one hope we see it, because Telltale already did a great job modeling Drogon, why not make a Ice Dragon?

• I've talked about this several times with my friends and we've considered a number of possibilities of what it is.

It's a literal ice dragon. Either it's real, or Gared will find an egg, or may have to fight it.

It's a spirit of an ice dragon. Perhaps Gared will encounter it and it will fuse with Gared to make him its host? (Essentially, Gared will become Jack Frost. lol)

It's a special sword named the "Ice Dragon". Maybe made of Valyrian steel and has special properties to it that gives its wielder (Gared maybe) some mighty power.

Or as mentioned, it's a mere constellation that will guide Gared and co. to the North Grove.

• Okay, the sword idea is probably not it, not sure how that would be watchful. Spirit of the dragon is a possibility, though nothing really ghost like has ever shown up in the series. Constellation is a real possibility, though I feel it would probably be underwhelming to most people. Then, there is the idea that it is what it is, a real dragon made of ice and snow, which is obviously what most people want. It has to be something important if the episode name is called Ice Dragon, all the other titles are not a physical creature or person. Though if it does show up, its obviously not the secret to save House Forrester, because riding a super dragon into Westeros is waaay to much and breaks all levels of continuity. My guess is either sneaking by it, or fighting it, again if it truly is a mythical creature.

I've talked about this several times with my friends and we've considered a number of possibilities of what it is. It's a literal ice dra

• becuase there is no living Ice Dragon in books or the show. That is why it is constellation.

It's also worth mentioning that the extremely hardcore Game of Thrones fans know it isn't just a constellation in the sky. It's a mythcial

• edited June 2015

There is no living Ice Dragon in books or the show.

Okay, the sword idea is probably not it, not sure how that would be watchful. Spirit of the dragon is a possibility, though nothing really

• edited June 2015

Yes.

• Just because they have never been seen, doesn't mean they are not all dead or never existed. People said the same about the White Walkers, and yet here they come.

There is no living Ice Dragon in books or the show.

• I agree with you, it could also be a large statue of a dragon, maybe carved out of ice; it may even be perched on top of an archway you have to go through.

AgentZ46 posted: »

I think the 'Ice Dragon' will make an appearance I don't know if it will be an actual dragon, it could be a puzzle or a riddle like a metaphor or it could be a title for a person.

• Only three dragons that we know of.

But I get your point. Still, an Ice Dragon would be cool.

Endrik posted: »

Unless they completely want to destroy the whole concept of Games of Thrones, there won't be any dragon. There's a reason why there are only

• I REALLY want this to be an actual Ice Dragon but I'm not getting my hopes up. Chances are its something else entirely.

• Let me say it in words you will understand - Telltale cant go aginst cannon wheter book or show cannon. That is why there wont be any creature called Ice Dragon, nor spirot, nor sword. It will be only stars. THE MAP SAID CLEARLY THAT IT WILL BE STARS.

Just because they have never been seen, doesn't mean they are not all dead or never existed. People said the same about the White Walkers, and yet here they come.

• So it can't be a spirit or sword?

How the hell does that make any sense? And seeing how more than one person here don't think it's just stars, then clearly it's not clear.

Let me say it in words you will understand - Telltale cant go aginst cannon wheter book or show cannon. That is why there wont be any creatu

• Do I really need to explain this again? It's been mentioned in the books to not just be a constellation. In A Dance with Dragons, Jon Snow says on three separate occasions that the wind is about as cold as the breath of an Ice Dragon, and mentions once that it was a story told to him by Old Nan. The World of Fire and Ice lore book specifically mentioned the Ice Dragon as a legendary monster that prowls the Shivering Sea, and beyond the Wall. Think about it, there are constellations in the sky that were named after mythical beasts, what makes this any different? And I keep bringing this up because I have to, its been compared to the Children of the Forest, and White Walkers, and those two are most assuredly real. You can't say something like that doesn't exist, when ice zombies and magic children that were thought to have died off thousands of years ago still draw breath.

So it can't be a spirit or sword? How the hell does that make any sense? And seeing how more than one person here don't think it's just stars, then clearly it's not clear.

• So, I guess you work for telltale and know for sure that they've already been refused. Sounds to me like you just, desperately, want it to be the constellation.

Besides your version of 'cannon', which is apperantly ignoring TWOIAF, is determined by the pov of the main chatacters. All of them have an incomplete view of the, established, world - believing only what they've seen or want to believe.

While none of the main characters have seen an Ice Dragon the Maesters at the Citadel have recieved so many eyewitness accounts of them, they seem to agree they're probably real.

Let me say it in words you will understand - Telltale cant go aginst cannon wheter book or show cannon. That is why there wont be any creatu

• edited June 2015

It is just a myth. It is just a myth that old ladies are saying to the children while they are kniting. Ice dragon is as real as grumpkins and snarks. Constellation is real and more probable.

Do I really need to explain this again? It's been mentioned in the books to not just be a constellation. In A Dance with Dragons, Jon Snow

• edited June 2015

I like how you left out, mammoths, gaints, the children of the forest, and the others. Which we all know to be real.

It is just a myth. It is just a myth that old ladies are saying to the children while they are kniting. Ice dragon is as real as grumpkins and snarks. Constellation is real and more probable.

• Not only that we know of. Daenerys' are the three only dragon left in existence due to plot necessity. There is a prophecy about three dragon heads, who are the last descendants of the Targaryen. The three dragons symbolize those three.

I agree, it would be cool, but would cause a major plot discrepancy with both the tv series and the books

A_Great_Guy posted: »

Only three dragons that we know of. But I get your point. Still, an Ice Dragon would be cool.

• Actually, there are wyverns living in Sothoryos, and possibly more dragons east of Asshai, because that is where Dany's eggs came from, and it is likely that an ice dragon is trapped in the wall, and will be released when it eventually comes down. So there are possibly otehre dragons, just not confirmed yet, although I do doubt that we will see an ice dragon in the north grove, because that would be diverging too much from canon.

Not only that we know of. Daenerys' are the three only dragon left in existence due to plot necessity. There is a prophecy about three drago

• All of Old Nan's stories are true, at least so far, so it is extremely likely that she is right on the ice dragons being real. We probably won't see one in episode six, but I have a feeling we will eventually see one in the books or show, probably when the Wall comes down, because there is likely an ice dragon trapped in the wall.

• The lands east of The Shadow Lands are said to still be home to dragons as are The Shadow Lands themselves. And nobody has a god damn clue what lies beyond the Sunset Sea, easternmost Essos, in southern Sothoryos, or Ulthos.

I'm not denying that we probably wont see anymore dragons beyond the three we've seen. I just think saying those are the only ones in existence in a world as enormous and largely unexplored as this one is a little hasty.

Not only that we know of. Daenerys' are the three only dragon left in existence due to plot necessity. There is a prophecy about three drago

• There are a lot of theories about the ice dragon. But I doubt an actual ice dragon would be revealed in a telltale game. They would save that for the books/tv show.

• This.

Every fan of ASOIAF knows that Ice dragon is also a constellation of stars. Beneath the Ice dragon means under the stars.

• edited June 2015

I think its the constellation. But it would be kinda lame, because many people (like myself) didnt read the books (yet) and will probably think they will meet a real ice dragon. The problem about this Telltale game is that Telltale probably cant "create" this creatures (they havent been in the show, but could be in the next seasons, cause they were mentioned in the books). So the chances that we are actually seeing and fighting a giant ice dragon are really slim. They probably want to save the first appearance of an ice dragon for the show. Maybe Telltale didnt get the OK from HBO to add the ice dragon and white walkers and thats the reason why there are no white walkers in episode 4.

I think the coolest thing would be if Gared an his friends are marching to the north grove and walk straight into a heavy blizzard, so they cant see very far. Maybe Finn gets lost and they never see him again (thats what they do to all determinant characters right?). In the middle of the blizzard they still try to reach the north grove. Then they hear the sound of loud footsteps coming closer and closer. They try to be very silent, but suddenly you can (only) see the glowing eyes of the presumed ice dragon. Maybe that could be the end of the first season, or maybe they managed to sneak right past him without seeing any more details of the dragon, only the eyes and the sound of footsteps. This way there wont be any problems with HBO I think, cause you wouldnt now for sure if it was a real ice dragon or just their imagination in the middle of the storm or some kind of magic from the north grove. People would talk about this scene and maybe even book readers/show watchers which havent played the game yet would be interested in the possible upcoming ice dragon. And if the tv show/books never show an ice dragon the Telltale Game would still be canon cause you just saw the eyes, which doesnt have to mean that you met an real ice dragon.

Please dont let it be the constellation^^

• this contain spoilers from the previous episode of Game of Thrones don't read this if you don't want to be spoiled.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.