That Season 5 Ending... Wow.

Comments

• He's in that Seven Days in Hell thing with Sanberg.

Indication posted: »

I just read this blind gossip (trust me or not, 90% of the time, what they say is pretty accurate) about Jon Snow : "If you were recently

• So it looks like no one is coming to save the Glovers from the ironhorn then, which means House Forrester is as good as dead.

• I'll say this, if he is dead then that was the most pathetic death sequence for any character I have yet seen in this series. It didn't even take the time to show the event and, on top of that.... just the fact that after a major battle:

1) Stannis who stood at the (basically) front of the vanguard of the force facing a massive cavalry charge, somehow (slaps head), is the last man standing and, on his heels, two Bolton soldiers?

2) Worse yet... Brienne of fucking Tarth or should I now call her "Brienne the justice seeking dull storyline force fed agenda forest wanderer of fucking Tarth", somehow, without Bolton colors, I repeat, somehow, finds her way through the massive Bolton force, through the battlefield of dead corpses that were strewn about like grass, and... somehow.... just so happens upon Stannis Baratheon, the last man standing, in a forest (when the battle was on a field with not a single tree in sight (from the opening scene of the charge)?

3) Finally. Either the "death" scene was the worst scene to ever be created on this show in terms of accuracy or he isn't dead. Did you happen to notice Brienne's position, Stannis' eye position, and then Brienne's swing? Check again if you haven't. She is standing to his left, he is looking to his left, he is resting his back on a large tree. All good, right? Well.... no.... if she is standing on his left.... and she tales a massive swing from right to left and the direction his eyes were facing, guess what? Yeah... her sword would have struck the god damn face of the tree. There is simply no way that swing connects to him given her position, his eyeline, his position and, most of all, the fucking tree which extended beyond his shoulders.

Sigh.... why do I get the feeling the directors did this and didn't show the scene because they are going to base what happens next (because they are off script canon now) on the fan reactions? In other words, they don't show his death because if shit hits the fan they can always say she didn't kill him BUT if fans don't seem to care... he's dead. It's a tactic some of these shows use during season endings.

I have to say though it was a good episode but I pray to the fucking many faced God we never and I do mean never see those accursed shitty actresses playing the Sand Snakes again. The sooner they are killed off, the better. I cringe every single time one reads a line... it's just so bad.

Nope I dont think so still. Stannis is temporarily dead as well. His death wasn't on camera for a reason, so he will live in my opinion.

• So is Stannis really dead?! Is Sansa and Theon dead?! Is Jon REALLY DEAD?! ANSWER ME THIS PLS!!!

• Yes, probably not, and yes but might come back through resurrection.

Xemnes posted: »

So is Stannis really dead?! Is Sansa and Theon dead?! Is Jon REALLY DEAD?! ANSWER ME THIS PLS!!!

• That would be a worthy fate, having to be in charge of the Nights Watch to make up for killing his daughter, and knowing fell well that everything you knew is forever gone and won't come back. But he's likely dead, so that's probably a mercy for him.

tmsmyth4 posted: »

Interesting, youre right that line implies her duty is elsewhere.. Stannis for 999th Lord Commander of the Night's Watch? He would do a top

• What do you mean by "Might come back" I thought the book readers knows what happens next

Yes, probably not, and yes but might come back through resurrection.

• Yes, but the movie is not in production anymore since it will be released in a few weeks if I remember well. Same with the Dolan movie (shooting this Spring, so I guess that it is over).

But we'll see. :)

He's in that Seven Days in Hell thing with Sanberg.

• Olly you piece of shit.

• edited June 2015

Yes I know its Game of Thrones. Even in the Game of Thrones Game by Telltale, everyone thought Rodrik died and he was declared dead in the episode. We didn't see him physically die (just badly injured), and he came back next episode. So even in Game of Thrones, people can be "dead temporarily."

stevean2 posted: »

"Dead temporarily" .... you do know this is game of thrones right? not a generic Hollywood movie or an anime?

• We don't. It's all based on assumptions and a lot of hope, its like L+R=J, there are a lot of hints, but is it true? We don't know, we assume, but we don't truly know. Same here, we know about as much as pure TV show watchers, there is no way to know for sure until next year. For now, just pray.

Xemnes posted: »

What do you mean by "Might come back" I thought the book readers knows what happens next

• edited June 2015

Yeah, as far as we know, book Stannis could be just a few steps from becoming HBO Stanins (except for Brienne’s part) or he could end in a very different way (and HBO just killed him to reduce costs).

FishySticks posted: »

George could just be saving Stannis' death for the next book. People should stop mentioning book Stannis as though they know what's gonna happen to him.

• His death was a surprise because, until the end of the last book, he was alive marching for Winterfell. He could end up the same way, but we do not know yet and I don’t think many book readers expected it to go this way.

jamex1223 posted: »

i meant Stannis...

• I dont have HBO. I use the app HBO Now

AAA_Jane posted: »

I wish I had HBO

• I agree in that it happened too fast and seemed like an extreme overreaction as well as stupidly short-sighted, but they had been laying the groundwork for it.

jarmoksk posted: »

It actually came out of nowhere in the show. They were pissed at him since he decided to go to Hardhome, but after he returned, he didn't do

• Rodrik*

Yes I know its Game of Thrones. Even in the Game of Thrones Game by Telltale, everyone thought Rodrik died and he was declared dead in the e

• When she started talking about seeing Bolton banners burning and seeing herself on top of the battlements in Winterfell, that really confused me because something as specific and non-symbolic as that is difficult to misinterpret. Her visions seem to always come true, the problem is she misinterprets them, but how do you misinterpret seeing yourself in Winterfell? And how was she 'completely' wrong about Stannis winning. The important thing is, you could tell she was just as confused as I was. A lot of viewers assume she's just manipulating people for her own secret motives, but she wasn't tricking Stannis and deliberately leading him to his death here. She truly believed he would win until she saw something last minute. But that doesn't explain why she saw burning Bolton banners. Then I realised maybe those visions will still come true later and what she had misinterpreted was the timing and the person leading the attack, not the events itself. Which leads me to believe that she'll be there when Jon Snow takes back Winterfell.

FishySticks posted: »

Carice did a great job with Melisandre. She was so confident of the certainty of her visions, she was rather proud of her skills as a pri

• Anyone else happy The Mountain seems like a good guy? I hope he crushes that cunt Sparrow's champion. Never thought I'd be cheering for Gregor Clegane but here I am

• edited June 2015

Indeed, perhaps she interpreted the timing of her visions incorrectly.

I do feel she genuinely believed her visions were meant for Stannis, which is why she looks so devastated in the end.That she could have been so wrong, that she failed to serve the Lord of Light well. If you think about it, it was the first time we see Melisandre in such a bad state, usually she is full of confidence and conviction, smirking as though she always has the upper hand.

• It sucks that the Mountain can be resurrected but possibly Jon won't be.

Yeah, the stories of a few others that are still alive in the books weren't supposed to be either. D&D like their finality and don't seem to entertain the idea of bringing the presumed dead back to life. cough Stoneheart cough

• I hope he crushes that cunt Sparrow's champion

I don't, because everyone knows it's going to be the Gravedigger, AKA the reformed Sandor Clegane.

CleganeBowlHype

Clemenem posted: »

Anyone else happy The Mountain seems like a good guy? I hope he crushes that cunt Sparrow's champion. Never thought I'd be cheering for Gregor Clegane but here I am

• So Dany is Westeros's last hope? Or will Bran's warg power be powerful enough?

• It just might be. Even though Sandor is one of my favorites and I hope he gets retribution, I can't watch Cersei go through anymore. She lost two of her children, her father and is forced into doing the worst things by this piece of shit. These fuckers gotta be put to the torch

I hope he crushes that cunt Sparrow's champion I don't, because everyone knows it's going to be the Gravedigger, AKA the reformed Sandor Clegane. CleganeBowlHype

• Tommen is probably going to kill himself.

KCohere posted: »

Not that shocked about Stannis, but Myrcella, yeah. I guess that prophecy is coming true, that all Cercei's children will die before her. look out Tommen.

• edited June 2015

Arya is blind as a punishment for killing people she wasn't supposed to. She'll have to do something to be able to see again (don't remember exactly what, but it's on the books, there she doesn't kill Meryn Trant, but a desertor of the Night's Watch)..

She is blind... but I don't think it is definitive.

• they're not dead, they fell on deep snow and both are hurt, probably.

stevean2 posted: »

Well, dying together is a better fate than living with Ramsay anymore.

• Bran and Arya will kill everyone. Bran will control Dany's dragons when she gets to Westeros and kill everyone in Westeros and Arya will travel to every island and assassinate every individual person, defying the many faced god like a badass.

pcharl01 posted: »

So Dany is Westeros's last hope? Or will Bran's warg power be powerful enough?

• edited June 2015

warning.. your mind will be blown away

I think John Snow will come back.. And here is why..

http://www.vox.com/2015/6/14/8779659/jon-snow-dead-game-of-thrones

P.S. John Snow.. Or John Targaryen Stark .. Don don donnnnn .. prophesied hero Azor Ahai :P

Witch lady from lord of light will prly bring his body back and his mind is prly in ghost.. last words and all..

R.R Martin even said when asked why he killed john snow.. "Oh, you think he's dead, do you?"

Ned Stark never did strike me as the cheater.. John is prly the son of His sister who was raped by Rhaegar Targaryen .. His interest did start the war after all.. and if Robert would of known of the child he would have had him put to death so stark prly adopted him as his son and took the blame of having fathered him with some "mysterious woman" who has never been named.. because there wasn't one! Consider your mind BLOWN! Haha..

And with snows brother/cousin being a warg or w/e.. mind into animals.. legend of more powerful ones being able to put their mind into an animal etc.. after death.. that guy with the hawk.. when he died his eyes went white.. he put himself into the hawk and continue to attack jon snow.. in the books his last word was Ghost.. his dogs name... Even though they didn't show that in the show.. He prly put his mind into the dog.. a reflex action.. having no knowledge of being a worq warg w/e it is called.. and that preistess will bring his body back.. or do you not recall that 1 dude who had faith with this lord of light who kept coming back from the dead.. that duel or w/e.. seasons back.. in the cave i think it was?? mortal wounds.. he kept coming back..

And then there is the books.. "a song of ice and fire"... Stark.. northmen.. ICE .. Targaryen.. Dragons.. FIRE .. Prophecy of a hero.. Priestess thought it was stannis.. nope.. jon snow perhaps?? or should we say.. John Targaryen Stark.. Father (Rhaegar Targaryen) Mother (Lyanna Stark)

• Good guy? He's probably being controlled by Qyburn and has been designed to murder her enemies. I hate that The Mountain is back walking around even in zombie form and that Cercei is still not getting her full due for the harm she has caused.

Anyone else happy The Mountain seems like a good guy? I hope he crushes that cunt Sparrow's champion. Never thought I'd be cheering for Gregor Clegane but here I am

• I hope he does kill them honestly, that fucked up preacher and his delusional followers too. I think the fact that Qyburn is controlling him only makes him a threat to Cersei's enemies and not anyone he feels. Hasn't she? She's lost two of her children and father, being tortured and abused by psychos and forced into shame by these said psychos

KCohere posted: »

Good guy? He's probably being controlled by Qyburn and has been designed to murder her enemies. I hate that The Mountain is back walking around even in zombie form and that Cercei is still not getting her full due for the harm she has caused.

• edited July 2015

Alt text

I can't say I was too surprised by anything that happened this episode, save for Myrcella randomly being killed, and Selyse hanging herself. I don't know if this is another "Martin told D&D what's going to happen in the next book so it is canon" thing, but if it's not..

Just..what the hell D&D? What was the point of that? Purely shock value for the book readers? Color me unimpressed. I think killing characters off that are canonically still alive in the books in the watered down tv show adaptation is not only poor writing, it's amateur writing. All D&D are proving is that their tv show is a crappy fanfiction.

Please, D&D, stop with your gratuitous amount of sex scenes, noncanon character deaths, and noncanon story lines and get back to putting an actual effort into your writing for once. We know you only have 10 hours each season to cover the books, so start making full use of it.:/

At least they did Cersei's walk of atonement justice, kudos to Lena Headey. She's the best actress on the show hands down.

Anyways, on to the 2 most ambiguous "deaths" of the episode.

First is Stannis Baratheon. Now, as book readers know, Stannis is not dead. He is still preparing for battle with the Boltons. In the tv show, Stannis' "death" is not even shown on screen. I believe this is intentional. It can't be because they thought it would be too gruesome, not but a few minutes later we witness Arya violently stabbing a man multiple times, gouging his eyes out, and then slitting his throat. Nor could it be because they didn't think his death was important enough to be shown on screen, he's a major contender for the Iron Throne, if a contender were to be killed off, his/her downfall and death is going to be exploited and shown in detail. To say that showing Brienne killing Stannis is overkill and unnecessary is bullshit. There was so much buildup to Brienne exacting her revenge upon Stannis, it doesn't make sense story wise not to follow through till the very end. It makes no sense for D&D to all of a sudden decide that they need to censor a major character's death. They love brutally murdering people on screen, seriously, have you seen the show? If D&D really wanted there to be no questioning or doubting that Stannis is dead, they would show him being killed, or at least show us a body. Also, everybody knows that if a character isn't shown dying on camera it's a tell tale hint that they aren't really dead, television has been pulling these fakeouts since the 80's. No, I think the reason why his "death" was off screen is because he isn't actually dead, but they want you to think that he is.

Second is Jon Snow. In the books he is stabbed by the mutineers, and by the 4th stab he can no longer feel anything but the cold. He is left face down in the snow. We don't know anything beyond that, we are left on a cliffhanger. We are given no hints from the WOW preview. I think Martin has done this on purpose, he's kinda known for trolling every now and then at this point lol. Martin has also said that Jon will find out about his true parentage before his story ends, so it doesn't make sense for Martin to contradict himself, forget that he said that, or get bored with Jon's story line, especially seeing as he's said that Jon is one of his favorites.

Also, when Martin was asked why he killed Jon by Entertainment Weekly, he responded with a laugh and said, "oh, you think he's dead do you?" And since then has refused to comment on Jon's fate.

These are the possible outcomes I can see happening:

1) Jon is severely wounded, but not dead. I can see the Wildlings and a few of the Black Brothers coming to his aid and saving him before he dies. Maybe he falls into a coma or is bedridden for who knows how long, maybe Melisandre heals him etc.

2) Jon does die, but he is brought back by Melisandre. This may have been why they left out Lady Stoneheart in the tv show, so the audience feels more pain and shock when they see such a major character die instead of thinking "oh well, characters can be brought back to life so no worries lol". Not to say this is the outcome I want, we all know that people who are brought back don't come back the same.

3) I've read some theories saying that Jon is going to warg into Ghost, it is quite suspicious that Ghost wasn't around when Jon was set up. And Jon is a skinwalker like Bran, at least in the books he is. But it kinda seems unlikely to me tbh, and I don't see Martin going down this path with Jon's story line. If he does, it will be very interesting to see where he goes with it.

Now, some people have been saying that Martin has told D&D of certain events and deaths that will take place in the next book so they can put it in the tv show, therefore Stannis and/or Jon dying is canon. This just doesn't make sense to me, because why would Martin want such important events being spoiled in the tv show of all things? Wouldn't he prefer that people find out the true fate of Stannis and Jon in the book, seeing as they're his characters, and it's his story? Us not knowing the fate of Jon gives us incentive to read the next book, why would he nip all that hype in the bud by letting D&D tell the story for him? Why would he allow D&D to spoil Stannis defeat/death when there has been so much buildup in the books of Stannis being the only threat to Dany, the only person standing in her way?

Things just don't add up, there are some things I can see Martin telling D&D, such as the deaths of minor/less important characters, but I can't see him telling them that Stannis dies, or that Jon dies, both of whom are major and important characters. Why would he leave us on a cliffhanger only to be spoiled by the tv show? Why would he let D&D take credit for confirming Jon and Stannis' fate? Why would Martin allow such vital information to get out, essentially leaking key parts of The Winds Of Winter before it's even available to the public? Why would Martin let D&D kill off Stannis, a character that is still a major player for the Iron Throne in the books? It all seems very fishy to me, and I think the rushed and unfinished feeling I got from Stannis' death and Jon's death was done knowingly and purposely. I think Martin wants us to be thrown off by the show, only to read the book and see that not all is what it seems.

• It might not matter if they burn his body, since he could warg into Ghost and be reborn in a new body (but who knows, maybe he'll be able to be revived in his current body).

rousseau posted: »

They'll probably burn his body though. Melisandre has to resurrect him very soon (which I don't see happening) or she somehow manages to get his corpse out of Castle Black. How she manages that I don't know.

• Hopefully, although this fan theory comes with a few setbacks.

I hope he crushes that cunt Sparrow's champion I don't, because everyone knows it's going to be the Gravedigger, AKA the reformed Sandor Clegane. CleganeBowlHype

• or do you not recall that 1 dude who had faith with this lord of light who kept coming back from the dead.. that duel or w/e.. seasons back.. in the cave i think it was?? mortal wounds.. he kept coming back..

Beric Dondarrion, yes. The Lord of Light will probably let Mel revive Jon or they'll just give him a different body to warg into.

MyTwoCents posted: »

warning.. your mind will be blown away I think John Snow will come back.. And here is why.. http://www.vox.com/2015/6/14/8779659/jon-s

• Cersei herself turned the Sparrows into zealots to torture and abuse her enemies. The leader is righteous and she was stupid to think she could control them. Aside from that she is guilty as charged and fully deserves the punishment.

I hope he does kill them honestly, that fucked up preacher and his delusional followers too. I think the fact that Qyburn is controlling him

• edited June 2015

And Lee's not dead. He was just in bad shape from blood loss after having his arm cut off and assumed incorrectly that it had been done too late to stop the infection from spreading. He passed out, but awoke sometime after Clementine left him and has been searching for her ever since.

That's what really happened.

They didn't show Lee die on camera.

• So I'm guessing Stannis isnt dead, otherwise wouldnt they show it? If that is the end the creators come off a bit spiteful having him do som

• edited June 2015

I am legitimately surprised people are not accepting the fact he's dead after the clears throat reception he got last week. I keep saying its like Maester Luwin, he got stabbed and was bleeding to death near a tree, so he told Osha to kill him out of mercy. We never see it, but we have no reason to doubt it happen. There is no difference, hell, with that death we never even see the swing, so you have a better chance saying he is alive then Stannis. It's a shame the man lost everything, but his legacy isn't over, rather it will live on when the Bolton family comes crashing down and the world survives the Long Night.

You guys need to accept that Stannis is dead. http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/game-of-thrones-season-5-finale-jon-stannis-deaths-david-nutter-1201520137/

• It is a strange day when I can't wait to see the White Walkers gutting the Boltons like a fish.

I am legitimately surprised people are not accepting the fact he's dead after the clears throat reception he got last week. I keep saying i

Sign in to comment in this discussion.