Fuck Olly

Comments

• edited June 2015

Do people not realise Olly is basically a male version of Arya?

Arya sees her family die and vows to take revenge on the people who have wronged her. Arya's kill list has changed at various points, but has included: Ser Ilyn, Cersei, Joffrey, (for their part in Ned's death) Ser Meryn (for killing Syrio), The Hound (for killing Mycah), Melisandre and Beric Dondarrion (for betraying her as she sees it and taking Gendry away).

Olly sees his family die and vows to take revenge on the people who have wronged him. Olly's kill list - Tormund, Styr, and Ygritte (for killing his parents) and Jon (for betraying him as he sees it and siding with Tormund and the wildlings)

So why aren't people calling for Arya's head?

Because so far, we agree with her killing the people that she has. But if we saw things from Olly's perspective, wouldn't we agree with him, too?

What if, hypothetically, next season Sam stops off at Braavos on the way to Oldtown and meets Arya? She realises he's a Brother of the Night's Watch, because of his clothing, and assumes he's a deserter. Maybe she's even heard about the death of Lord Commander Jon Snow and assumes Sam was one of the killers which is why he has 'deserted'. So she kills Sam. Which is totally justified from her perspective. She's avenging Jon, and dispensing justice to Night's Watch deserters the same way her father did. How would people feel about Arya, then? Would they call for her head, then? Probably not. Would they forgive her? Perhaps begrudgingly, because of the circumstances of her misunderstanding. So why not forgive Olly, because of the circumstances of his misunderstanding?

• I know right! That kid is so unforgivable.

• edited June 2015

Also Green,Pyp,Jeor Mormont and Aemon Targaryen.

All true, just because I get where he came from, doesn't mean I respect or like it. I still hate him, but those others are worse! God, the

• Alive currently, yeah i'd agree that they were decent people, same with the Old Bear Jeor Mormont, but he's dead to.

Also Green,Pyp,Jeor Mormont and Aemon Targaryen.

• Yep, gotta love how people react when its your favorite. I heard the writers said its like if Superman killed 5000 people you didn't know, vs your dog getting run over accidentally. You want that guy to burn in hell, but don't care that Superman just killed 5000 people on purpose.

Everyone that was complaining about Shireen being burned is calling for Olly's head now. You hypocrites.

• I'm pretty abstract looking at characters, I dont particularly have favourite characters.

Oh and if Arya did that she'd be hated on no doubt, I personally dont really like sam but most people would be upset

Do people not realise Olly is basically a male version of Arya? Arya sees her family die and vows to take revenge on the people who have

• I totally agree with your point, I'm upset about what he did but I don't hate him.

Do people not realise Olly is basically a male version of Arya? Arya sees her family die and vows to take revenge on the people who have

• Well he just died, and they might not burn him because to them he's a traitor - doesn't deserve a ceremony.

Why didn't they burn him? Melisandre revive confirmed? Anyhow, I don't blame them. I read the book, and even though Olly didn't exist the

• So why aren't people calling for Arya's head?

Jon didn't wrong Olly, while Arya's victims killed her family and friends. He might have thought it's Jon's fault but it wasn't, and that's why people are upset about Olly's behavior - Jon took him under his wing and that's how he's repaid? Stabbed "For the Watch" and left to die like a dog?

• I believe "his wounds were smoking" was a hint of Jon being reborn "amidst salt and smoke" as part of the prophecies on The Prince that was Promised - as well as this: "Then Bowen Marsh stood there before him, tears running down his cheeks." - tears may represent the salt as in salty tears.

• edited June 2015

Yes, well, if you read, I answered that myself in the post. We agree with her killing the people that she has, because so far they've all sort of deserved it, or at least the world has been better off without them.

My point is, like you said, Jon hasn't done anything wrong, but Olly believes that he has, and perception is what counts. If Olly had just randomly killed Jon out of nowhere and laughed as he did it, then yeah, fuck him. But he was clearly upset and felt what he was doing was justice, unfortunate but necessary, so I can't blame him or even be upset with him. Not to mention, he's a small child surrounded by adults who agree with him. What else was he going to think? If they all see it as the correct course of action, then he's going to feel validated in his opinion of the wildlings and Jon. His actions were entirely logical within the context. Blame Ser Alliser for not knowing better, but anyone who blames Olly needs to think harder.

AWESOMEO posted: »

So why aren't people calling for Arya's head? Jon didn't wrong Olly, while Arya's victims killed her family and friends. He might ha

• So they'll just let him turn into a white walker? That's a bit dangerous. They should have at least disposed of the body, but they all just walked away.

Well he just died, and they might not burn him because to them he's a traitor - doesn't deserve a ceremony.

• She killed his father right in front of him, but he broke up this great love story, so he's the monster.

PCGaming posted: »

Many hated him because he killed Ygritte too. Stabbing Jon made him the most hated kid alive in Got Universe !

• THey have a right to be angry, they didnt have the right to kill him. How are they different from the mutinous group at Craster's keep? They are the biggest traitors to the nights watch there is by killing a Lord Commander and deserve the same fate.

LeFedore posted: »

Jon WAS a traitor, though. He helped the wildlings, killed Qhorin Halfhand (albeit at his command, but the others don't know that) and he ev

• Thats horrible.

Clemenem posted: »

Never thought I'd be happy Thenns ate his parents

• Im definitely more angry at him. Im sure he must have been dreaming of the day when he could kill Jon and now its come. Im trying to give thr kid the benefit of the doubt because he is a little kid, not wholly rational and easily manipulated after what he went through. Jon is worth ten of everyone one of them, including Thorne.

Am I the only one who is more angry at Allister Thorne? I thought he respected Jon Snow, he didn't get along with him, but he respected him

• edited June 2015

For the watch against the Wildlings. I think theres going to be some attempt at a wildling purge next season that will fail and destroy the nights watch, deservedly.

rousseau posted: »

If I would be angry at someone it would be D&D since they make the whole Nightswatch look like a bunch of irrational idiots and Jon Snow

• AWESOMEOAWESOMEO Banned
    edited June 2015

Why of course, it is about perception. But if we are to pardon every person's horrible actions because they've perceived things in a different way, we'd also be pardoning Hitler and co. The point is that he made a mistake, while Arya did not make a mistake, and I'm upset at his poor judgment.

To his defence, he's a kid, but he's still pretty stupid in my opinion for going through with such a horrible act considering Jon was so nice to him.

Also I'm not blaming Olly any more than the others, I'm blaming the other brothers way more than I do him, I just find it disappointing that he went through with it, and that is the topic of the thread.

Yes, well, if you read, I answered that myself in the post. We agree with her killing the people that she has, because so far they've all so

edited June 2015

I don't know, maybe they didn't think about it and maybe they are going to burn him later.

So they'll just let him turn into a white walker? That's a bit dangerous. They should have at least disposed of the body, but they all just walked away.

• Wow. Never had Godwin's Law that quickly before.

Saying you're upset by his poor judgment implies that you're surprised that he acted that way, but kids are notorious for having poor judgment, because they are still learning the way things are. Which is why we typically don't hold them accountable.

But maybe our perception is off. Olly's judgment may have seemed poor, but maybe that's just an assumption we make. Maybe while Jon was at Hardhome, Olly overheard the other men planning to kill Jon and anyone else who tried to stop them, and feared for his life. Maybe Olly wanted to warn Jon, but they threatened him to keep his mouth shut or they'd kick him out of Castle Black to fend for himself, and then forced him to lure Jon into the trap. Maybe some of their arguments made sense to Olly and when he spoke to Sam about it, Sam seemed to confirm what they'd said. Maybe Olly was angry at Jon, but didn't truly want him dead.
    Difficult things for a kid to process.

Jon had already been stabbed 4 or 5 times in the gut before Olly got to him. That's a slow and painful way to go, but make no mistake, Jon was basically already dead. Then Olly puts him out of his misery by stabbing him in the heart. So maybe it was a mercy killing. Maybe Olly understood that Jon's death was inevitable, but at least this way Jon wouldn't suffer longer than necessary. Maybe he was emulating Jon's arrow through Mance Rayder's heart. Maybe he was giving Jon the very thing that Arya refused to give the Hound.

Maybe not.

Was Olly thankless, or had he just come to learn the brutality of the world a lot sooner than he should have? Is Olly stupid, or is he a survivalist? Does Jon looking after him outweigh Jon siding with the people who murdered everyone in his village?

We can judge Jon to be a good and honest person, because we've seen his character develop for 5 seasons. Olly has a lot less to judge Jon by. And as far as Olly is concerned, Jon seems to have just released 5,000 potential murderers into the general population, the immediate threat of which would be enough to overshadow most of the good that Jon may have done for him.
    Maybe in killing him, Olly was emulating Jon by not giving him the same second chance that Janos Slynt had begged for, on the understanding that execution can sometimes be a necessary evil to stem the potential for problems in the future.

Why of course, it is about perception. But if we are to pardon every person's horrible actions because they've perceived things in a differe

edited June 2015

Wow. Never had Godwin's Law that quickly before.

Implying something bad? So what if I compared something to Nazi actions, they're a radical example and an easy comparison tool.

Saying you're upset by his poor judgment implies that you're surprised that he acted that way, but kids are notorious for having poor judgment, because they are still learning the way things are. Which is why we typically don't hold them accountable.

Sure, but he's gone far beyond "acting irrationally" - this depends on the person, and I was stating my opinion, but it is clear that while Arya did what she did with a good reason, Olly did not, despite his perception or hers. Now it is up to you to judge Olly's actions, and I for once think that his actions were stupid even for a kid. Being a kid doesn't completely free you from morals.

maybe that's just an assumption we make. Maybe while Jon was at Hardhome, Olly overheard the other men planning to kill Jon and anyone else who tried to stop them, and feared for his life. Maybe Olly wanted to warn Jon, but they threatened him to keep his mouth shut or they'd kick him out of Castle Black to fend for himself, and then forced him to lure Jon into the trap. Maybe some of their arguments made sense to Olly and when he spoke to Sam about it, Sam seemed to confirm what they'd said. Maybe Olly was angry at Jon, but didn't truly want him dead. Difficult things for a kid to process.

Maybe, and maybe not. We know what we saw, and if we find out you're right, I will change my opinion of Olly's actions. By the way, if he'd talk to Sam about it, then Sam would probably explain to him why Jon is right and the people who talked to him weren't.

Jon had already been stabbed 4 or 5 times in the gut before Olly got to him. That's a slow and painful way to go, but make no mistake, Jon was basically already dead. Then Olly puts him out of his misery by stabbing him in the heart. So maybe it was a mercy killing.

Again, maybe. Maybe not. To me the look on his face did not say "mercy" - it said "loathe". Again, opinion. We won't know until we hear from him about it (if we do).

Also, I know that Arya refused to kill The Hound when he was suffering, but that's more because it'd probably serve the plot later in the plausible Cleganebowl or just to end his story like it ended in the books. Either way, I wasn't judging Arya's treatment for The Hound, which I am upset at her for.

Is Olly stupid, or is he a survivalist?

In my opinion, stupid. Depends if what you said was true or if he just did it because he disagreed with Jon's treaty with the Wildlings.

Does Jon looking after him outweigh Jon siding with the people who murdered everyone in his village?

Yes it does, because Jon (and possibly Sam) had already explained to him that this is not about pardoning their crimes, it's about something bigger - survival. He seemed to understand that, but apparently it didn't get through to him, or he just let his anger take over rational thinking.

And as far as Olly is concerned, Jon seems to have just released 5,000 potential murderers into the general population, the immediate threat of which would be enough to overshadow most of the good that Jon may have done for him.

In your opinion it was, to me and others here it wasn't enough to overshadow anything, especially with Jon explaining to him that this is an inevitable step for their survival.

Maybe in killing him, Olly was emulating Jon by not giving him the same second chance that Janos Slynt had begged for, on the understanding that execution can sometimes be a necessary evil to stem the potential for problems in the future.

Could be, and I'm judging his perception of what is evil - because he was wrong thinking that Jon's action were evil. Kid or not a kid, I think this is called going overboard. Especially considering that the murder of Jon Snow wouldn't immediately evacuate all Wildlings back there (especially after seeing the army of the dead in its' full glory) - they will probably now just fight each other without Jon and Tormund to unite them together. Hence that was a stupid act of treason against a good man with no actual benefit whether you want the Wildlings back beyond the Wall or not.

Wow. Never had Godwin's Law that quickly before. Saying you're upset by his poor judgment implies that you're surprised that he acted tha

• I hope Wun Wun eats him alive.

• edited June 2015

In what way is that actually hypocritical..?

Everyone that was complaining about Shireen being burned is calling for Olly's head now. You hypocrites.

• It probably has something to do with the irony of advocating child murder after previously condemning it.

Belan posted: »

In what way is that actually hypocritical..?

• and i really wouldnt care

Yep, gotta love how people react when its your favorite. I heard the writers said its like if Superman killed 5000 people you didn't know,

• id be mad at arya

• I seriously hope that little actor is prepared for how brutal fans can be.

• edited June 2015

Except it's not like Shireen was running around stabbing good men in the chest. She was nothing more than a purely innocent little girl. The situations aren't even comparable.

I personally don't think I would kill Olly, but there should be consequences for his actions, where as obviously Shireen did absolutely nothing to deserve the brutal death that she ended up getting.

It probably has something to do with the irony of advocating child murder after previously condemning it.

• so if having shitty childhood justify his actions, you basicly saying nobody is to blame for nothing. blame their parrents, rapists who was sexually assulted by their parrents, they are good people who made a mistake right?

rousseau posted: »

Yup, like every teenager loses his whole village to a bunch of cannibals, ends up at a place full of murderers, rapists and other criminals and then feels betrayed by one of the few persons he looks up to. Totally normal childhood this.

• Alt text

KCohere posted: »

Thats horrible.

• All the people who hated Stannis for sacrificing Shireen but now want Olly to be murdered

Alt text

• [removed]

clap-tp posted: »

so if having shitty childhood justify his actions, you basicly saying nobody is to blame for nothing. blame their parrents, rapists who was sexually assulted by their parrents, they are good people who made a mistake right?

• Well, he had no choice you can even see it in his face that he was having a hard time trying to..well, You know.

But when he killed Ygritte I agree, Fuck olly.

• edited June 2015

That's what I said.

Alt text

All the people who hated Stannis for sacrificing Shireen but now want Olly to be murdered

• Dead bodies become wights, not white walkers.

So they'll just let him turn into a white walker? That's a bit dangerous. They should have at least disposed of the body, but they all just walked away.

• Thanks for the correction Maester Bipedal.

BipedalP posted: »

Dead bodies become wights, not white walkers.

• No way, totally OC, my comment had a spiderman gif #rekt

That's what I said.

• Like who you wish, aslong as you're not a massive hypocrite over it. I can't believe some people are so adament in their beliefs that they think Olly is suddenly more hated than Joffrey or Ramsay over nothing.

Sorry to hear you're getting death threats over a character preference though man.

ousen posted: »

They have always been here. But dont speak for everyone i like the Boltons and as someone that like the Boltons you can get death threats by

Sign in to comment in this discussion.