Malcolm as sentinel?

Why was Malcolm never considered as sentinel? He is smart like Duncan and a good fighter like Royland. He is the brother of lady Elyssa, so part of the family. I think he would have been a good sentinel. But no one even considered him beeing the sentinel. It would probably be far to complex to change the game entirely if you choose him, cause then he wouldnt be with Asher and someone else (probably Royland) would be with Asher and Beskha.

Iam just curious why he was never considered as sentinel. Mustn't a sentinel be related to the lord? Or is he the only one who knows how to find Asher? But if thats true then the people should still had considered him as sentinel, since the Asher-matter wasnt mentioned to the maester and all the other people at Ironrath at that point. I would have liked the option to ask him as Ethan about himself beeing the sentinel. A short and simple statement why he doesnt want to be the sentinel would have been enough in my opinion.

The plot changes would have been interesting. For example his opinion how to handle Ramsay Snow, or how he handled Ludd Whitehill in all the conversations. It also would have been interesting how Royland proceeded with Asher. Maybe he would have fought Beskha at some point. And he probably/maybe would have killed Drogon the same way he killed Ludd (of course Drogon is canon so that would never have happened).

Comments

• Why was Malcolm never considered as sentinel?

Because if he was, who would go tell Asher and get him to come back home.

• edited June 2015

It would probably be far to complex to change the game entirely if you choose him, cause then he wouldnt be with Asher and someone else (probably Royland) would be with Asher and Beskha.

They could also send one or two unknown soldiers who know how Asher looks like, or maybe even Duncan. But yeah, maybe Malcolm is the best person to bring Asher back home. But if Malcolm was appointed sentinel then someone else would have been send looking for Asher.

Why was Malcolm never considered as sentinel? Because if he was, who would go tell Asher and get him to come back home.

• Malcolm isn't an advisor he doesn't even sit on the small council.

• I always thought the Sentinel couldn't be related.

• edited June 2015

The question is: does the sentinel have to be in the small council before he gets appointed? Hes a smart man as far as I can tell. He would have been a good sentinel.

AgentZ46 posted: »

Malcolm isn't an advisor he doesn't even sit on the small council.

• ttgot wiki says:

The Lord's Sentinel is a position taken up by a trusted councilman or other member of House Forrester.

But I dont know if the sentinel mustn't be related to the lord.

AgentZ46 posted: »

Malcolm isn't an advisor he doesn't even sit on the small council.

• On his codex, Malcom is not often home. He is something of a hedge knight.

• edited June 2015

Nice catch. That could be a good reason. If there would be the a possibility to ask Malcolm if he wants to be appointed sentinel and he refuses because of that reason I would totally accept it.
    Altough when Asher sees the money bag at the corpse, Malcolm is more concerned about leaving quickly than picking the gold. But the rest matches fine, he likes traveling I guess. I like your theory.

On his codex, Malcom is not often home. He is something of a hedge knight.

• That was my take as well. I don't think Malcolm lives at Ironrath, he just happens to be visiting when the game's events unfold.

On his codex, Malcom is not often home. He is something of a hedge knight.

• Malcolm himself suggested Royland. And Forresters are already too similiar to Starks as it is.

• It says in the codex Malcolm lives at Ironrath with his sister because their father's lands and keep were destroyed. I quote "Malcolm now lives with Lady Elissa’s new family at Ironrath"

Scaeva posted: »

That was my take as well. I don't think Malcolm lives at Ironrath, he just happens to be visiting when the game's events unfold.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.