Details that people might forget, don't notice or just don't know about The Walking Dead

Comments

• I don't think this is people didn't know about but it was definetly forgotten. What the hell happened to the guy we find by the River in episode 1 season 2? He never comes back and we never get an answer out of him. Will giving him water or not even matter in season 3?

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator
    edited July 2015

I swear to god, this game still manages to surprise me with all of the hidden options and scenes. 3 years since release, and there's still scenes that no one seems to know about. There's still scenes here and there that no one knows exist.

I just found out that in Starved For Help, it's possible to go and confront Danny without picking up any of the weapons, which will lead to you rushing him and punching him instead. I never even knew that it was possible to do this, and assumed that the game forced you to pick up a weapon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY8YP0Hge5E

Oh yeah, and also this:

Alt text

Jesus Christ how horrifying

• edited July 2015

Old*.Look at his arm left (the right of him) it's a zombie bite.

2 models in one file? That's new.

• I wasn't talking about the meshes being reused, i was talking about the two whole models in one file; which was a surprising fact.

Old*.Look at his arm left (the right of him) it's a zombie bite.

• And that's something not new for ttg since twd s1 ep5 was around end of the year 2012.

I wasn't talking about the meshes being reused, i was talking about the two whole models in one file; which was a surprising fact.

• No.

I wasn't referring to the release of the episode—just the feature.

Do you even understand what I'm trying to say here?

And that's something not new for ttg since twd s1 ep5 was around end of the year 2012.

• If you saved Doug in episode 1 and you are examining how to work the train in episode 3 Lee can say something along the lines of "I wish Doug was still here, he'd definitely know how to figure it out" just proves why Doug is better than Carley (ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

• Megami means, these two models are attached to each other instead of being one separate character

And that's something not new for ttg since twd s1 ep5 was around end of the year 2012.

• Just threaten Vernon when you meet him and talk to Brie in the classroom

• Oh shit! Lee said the word zombies! I've never heard that in the Walking Dead ever!!

Deltino posted: »

No activity in this thread? Who wants to see Lee tell Ben to shut up literally 2 minutes after meeting him https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO9NLwjhotA

• He says that multiple times, rarely

PoopBrown posted: »

Oh shit! Lee said the word zombies! I've never heard that in the Walking Dead ever!!

• Oh, well I never heard him say that in my playthroughs so it was cool to find out :D

AronDracula posted: »

He says that multiple times, rarely

• I understand,but it isn't something new,it was in 2012 new for ttg.

No. I wasn't referring to the release of the episode—just the feature. Do you even understand what I'm trying to say here?

• Omg, you don't understand.

I understand,but it isn't something new,it was in 2012 new for ttg.

• I do.What a thing 2 models in one prop,it is new for us,but for ttg it isn't.

Omg, you don't understand.

• Well, you should have heard him saying that in episode 1, when he was planning to save Glenn.

PoopBrown posted: »

Oh, well I never heard him say that in my playthroughs so it was cool to find out

• Oh, I guess I was just focused on trying to find out what to do lol

AronDracula posted: »

Well, you should have heard him saying that in episode 1, when he was planning to save Glenn.

• This is something I don't see people talking about. Luke said this if Clementine says Kenny is protecting the group and of course you had to watch Carver die:

Alt text

This line could mean that Luke watched Kenny kill Carver. It could also mean Luke was keeping an eye on Clem to see how she would react after saying she was staying. Another thing to note is that after Carver is well and truly dead Luke leaves at the same time as Clem, this could actually mean he watched it happen.

• That's really interesting. I assumed he would have been referring to the decision to stay, but with that logic you may be right.

6000th comment too.

Kateis posted: »

This is something I don't see people talking about. Luke said this if Clementine says Kenny is protecting the group and of course you had to

• Congratulations on 6000th comment!

Well just before he says that he says '...but you watched your friend murder Carver. Not just kill him, but... Clem, you didn't even blink.'

To me that whole line suggests he watched it happen along with Clem and the tone he has when he says it sounds as if he is concerned about Clem which could mean he watched to make sure she was ok.

That's really interesting. I assumed he would have been referring to the decision to stay, but with that logic you may be right. 6000th comment too.

• Sorry if this was mentioned before:
    You remember that part in no going back where if you chose to go save Luke you would fall in the frozen lake?and then when Jane saves you Clementine's skin is white because of the low temp of the water?Well if you pay attention there's an error.When Jane is carrying Clem to safety one of Clem's hands is white and the other one is normal.Also Clem's hat goes through Jane's jaw.

• In season 1, the episode 1 chapter 1 achievement connects with the episode 5 chapter 1 achievement: Out of the frying pan...into the fire

• The old background for the In Harm's Way slide is very similar to the walls in the bathroom where Omid died.

• edited July 2015

The apple in S1EP2 is special and opens up unique dialog. Carley normally won't accept food, but does for the apple. Clementine will say she loves apples. And Lilly will happily accept it and "remember it" if you've sided with her. I don't know about the other characters, but there's probably more.

• edited July 2015

Here i am again! I dont know if its just where i got the model from, but this is Sam the Dog head texture:

Alt text

Notice the ring that says "If you can read this you are too close"

UPDATE: Apparently the texture isn't connected to anywhere accoring to the UV maps

• Way late but the guy dies regardless of whether or not you give him water.

NOHATCLEM posted: »

I don't think this is people didn't know about but it was definetly forgotten. What the hell happened to the guy we find by the River in epi

• I would've disagreed with you, but seeing how choices didn't matter that much this season, I would assume that he is dead no matter if we give him water or not...

quinnics posted: »

Way late but the guy dies regardless of whether or not you give him water.

• There's an unused soundtrack that was supposed to be used for No Going Back's episode slide. But instead we get a crappy wind blowing ambiance.

edited July 2015

So after doing some snooping around, I came across this rather interesting post

Basically, someone managed to figure out how Kenny's choice to come with you or not at the end of episode 4 is determined, from a technical standpoint. They more or less managed to figure out the system that the game uses to determine the outcome.

Here's a translation, along with some formatting:

I figured out which choices affect Kenny's decision in the final chapter of Ep4. He is using some kind of "point" system, weird thing is, is that the game ONLY takes these choices into account, so Kenny doesn't care if you let his family starve or if you disagree with his plans.

Episode 1

• Save Duck = 2 points

• Side with Kenny over Larry = 1.5 points

Episode 2

• Don't pick Lilly's side = 0.75 points

• Help kill Larry = 1.5 points

Episode 3

• Don't shoot the girl on the street = 0.75 points

• Don't pick Lilly's side. = 0.75 points

• Shoot Duck = 2 points

Episode 4

• Kill the zombie boy = 0.75 points

• Drop Ben = 2 points

If you get 9 or higher, Kenny will come with you no matter what.

If you get higher than 4 but less than 9, you'll have to convince Kenny to come with you.

If you get 4 or less, Kenny won't come with you.

So with all the math from above, a few things can be deduced:

• There are five major decisions that factor into his decision: Saving Duck, Siding with Kenny, Killing Larry, Shooting Duck, and Dropping Ben.

• In order to get 9 points, the best possible outcome, you will need to either kill Larry or drop Ben. Ergo, at least one of them always has to die in order for you to get the best possible outcome, as there is no other way to reach 9 points if you help both of them.

Being someone that has always been interested in how this choice worked from a technical standpoint, I find this to be pretty goddamn interesting, to say the least. I had my own theories and ideas about what choices factored into this moment, but it looks like I've been proven wrong.

I am also quite surprised that feeding Duck isn't one of the choices that factors into the final outcome. You'd think that it would be, all things considered.

Also from that thread (and another related one), someone managed to extract the full model of Clementine's house:

Alt text

Alt text

Alt text

Alt text

Alt text

This also piques my interest: if someone's able to extract this from the files, does that mean that extracting other environments/maps are possible? I'd absolutely love to see the full versions of the game's environments and maps, just because I find things like that to be incredibly interesting. And I'd just love to see the full detail of what they've done overall.

• edited July 2015

Yeah it is possible to extract maps (No textures because the original textures consist of Blue and White)

This is the Cabin Living Room

Alt text

Next time on the Walking Dead Lodge, when Clementine says "i thought you were dead"

Alt text

So after doing some snooping around, I came across this rather interesting post Basically, someone managed to figure out how Kenny's choi

How do you do this

I want to go have a field day

Arctic0ne posted: »

Yeah it is possible to extract maps (No textures because the original textures consist of Blue and White) This is the Cabin Living Room Next time on the Walking Dead Lodge, when Clementine says "i thought you were dead"

• You need Aluigi TTarch Extractor (http://aluigi.altervista.org/papers.htm#ttarchext), 3DSMax (preferentially 2012) and Telltale Almost-All-In-One Model Importer (http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=11687)

After installing everything you will open up the Command prompt, and type

cd C:/(path where you installed the ttarch extractor)/ttarchext.exe

then you will type

ttarchext.exe 52/55 "C:/(path where you installed the walking dead)/data/WalkingDead_pc_WalkingDead20X_XXXXXX.ttarch2" c:\output folder

Side Note: The file name may vary depending of Episode/Season for example:

Season 2 Example: WalkingDead_pc_WalkingDead203_data.ttarch2 (This will extract almost all model files, characters, bones, UI and more from Season 2 Episode 3 but not buildings)

Season 1 Example: 5_walkingdead106 english pc_txmesh.ttarch (This will extract all models and their textures as well map props from season 1 400 days dlc)

Note 2: Telltale all in one importer doesn't convert season 1 textures to DDS you have to do this manually by adding -m behind the 52

Note 3: When exporting use 52 for Season 1 and 55 for season 2

After Installing 3DSMAX, go to the MaxScript tab and click Open Script, find where you placed the Importer Plugin and run it, a window will pop up asking what game you want to import, select the season you want and a window will show up asking for SKL, if you are looking forward to import only the buildings for exploration then skip the SKL and a new window will pop up asking for the D3DMESH, find the folder where you extracted the models and double click in any of them to import

I hope that helps

How do you do this I want to go have a field day

• Spoiler because its a medium sized post

How do you do this I want to go have a field day

• I don't think its possible to get 3dsmax normally anymore, as I tried to fix mine and had no luck finding it normally to download from the site. I use 2014 and it works fine. Also this is the most recent model importer.. it doesn't work with 2012 bit does with 2014
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/sxmel1ksxlkica6/TelltaleGames_D3DMesh_TWD2Fix.ms
    This importer fixes all the Uv mess ups in pretty much all walking dead 1 characters and others.

• edited July 2015

Cool, i always got bothered by those UV maps getting messy, too bad its not for 2012 cause im more used to do stuff on it

AGentlman posted: »

I don't think its possible to get 3dsmax normally anymore, as I tried to fix mine and had no luck finding it normally to download from the s

• It'd be really cool if someone could extract the Marsh House room to see if we can see what's behind that door that's clickable but we can't go in.

So after doing some snooping around, I came across this rather interesting post Basically, someone managed to figure out how Kenny's choi

• edited July 2015

I cant get it to work, it wont allow me to apply textures when using that version on 2012 You can always fix it by using unwrap Uv anyway.. but takes time

Arctic0ne posted: »

Cool, i always got bothered by those UV maps getting messy, too bad its not for 2012 cause im more used to do stuff on it

It's just the door to an adjoining room (hence the stranger's "I got us adjoining rooms")

He just hid out inside that room and waited until Lee came in

It'd be really cool if someone could extract the Marsh House room to see if we can see what's behind that door that's clickable but we can't go in.

• here is a detail the developers missed, in neither season do they give you enough save slots to save all the endings, I don't understand why my five hundred gig hard drive suddenly only has four save slots WTF

Sign in to comment in this discussion.