Forum of Thrones: An Interactive Story

Comments

• edited July 2015

So, a quick update... I haven't started writing the next part yet, as I want to use the time to update the summary for the first time in months, as well as writing the alternative choices. For today I have planned to update the summary, which should be done later today. And I have a little "What-if"-scenario prepared, exploring choices from the earlier chapters that would have resulted in the most significant changes for this chapter. Tomorrow, the alternative choices for Chapter 4 should be done and with a bit of luck I can start Chapter 5 on Thursday already. I can already tease that the first part of Chapter 5 will be from Samantha's PoV.

What would have happened...

...if Leonard would have stayed in Raylansfair?

Obviously, the choice to leave Leonard behind in Raylansfair would have had serious consequences on several storylines. As I said last time when I wrote the alternative choices, he would have managed to save Lady Halla from Kersea and Wolfius, albeit he would have been heavily wounded in the process. His wounds would have still affected him in this chapter, up to the point where he would have barely appeared. Starting with the next chapter, his wounds would have started to heal, however. He would have had a small appearance in one of Jenna's parts and would have also been mentioned several times. As a reward for his bravery and in an attempt to bring him closer to his side, Harris would have appointed him to the captain of the castle guard instead of Nora. Jenna would have never been attacked and would have been in a far better mood over this chapter. Leonard would have mainly appeared through her PoV and he would have also been an ally for her against Harris and especially against Wolfius and Clayton, providing her with an alternative choice instead of being limited to win the help of Harris. Lucas would have had a lot more problems in Oldtown and would have had to fight Samuel on his own in the final part. He would have been wounded in the process and would have been brought to Mullendore. Leonard however would have been relatively safe in Raylansfair.

...if Lunett would have stayed at the inn?

This option would have saved Lunett's life. During Bear's attack, she would have been saved by Gutten, which would have won him the respect and gratitude of Aylard. Samantha would have searched for another, far weaker excuse to travel to Oldtown to pursue her vengeance on Butterfly. Gutten would have called her out on lying to him and she would have come clean to him by revealing her backstory and pleading him to send her to Oldtown. Ultimately, the attraction between Lucas and Lunett would have never developed. Lunett's presence at the inn would have also given Cass a better chance at survival if Samantha would have been present at the same time.

...if Cass would have survived?

Cass' survival would have meant Aylard's death at the same time, as she could have only been saved by Samantha, who in turn wouldn't have been around to save Aylard. Aylard's death would have taken a heavy toll on her and she would have ultimately broken up with Gutten to pursue her own life in Raylansfair as a surrogate mother/big sister for Aylard's son.

...if Jenna or Richard would have died at the end of Chapter 3?

This option would have been good for Kersea and Wolfius and bad for everyone else. In a way I can't specify yet, this would have ultimately even negatively influenced apparently unrelated characters, like Maya, Lucas or even Drent. Wolfius would have been more than pleased by the outcome, regardless of which Harking would have died. He would have praised Kersea and would have been genuinely thankful, even if he would have lost his eye as a result of Jenna's choices. However, the surviving Harking would have been heartbroken and hellbent for revenge, eventually causing them to become a far darker character. Kersea wouldn't have been punished by Clayton and the situation with Wolfius wouldn't have escalated, but the guilt would have taken another toll on her, leading her even closer to a complete mental breakdown.

...if Carma would have died in Jenna's stead?

I have already hinted that Urid would have become a far darker character if his wife would have died. This would have ultimately resulted in him calling a brutal hunt against Wolfius in this chapter, instead of the nice talk in the tavern. Depending on Richard's choices, Urid or Lyria or both or neither could have died during this hunt. In the end they wouldn't have succeeded in capturing Wolfius, but would have been left in a worse position than ever. They would have also learned a terrible secret about Wolfius, which has already been hinted at and will now be revealed in a future chapter.

...if Jaron would have ended up working for Mullendore?

Several choices in the first chapter could have ended up with Jaron working for Mullendore. He would have made acquaintances with several guardsmen, among them Jaylon, who would have revealed more than just a few likeable traits and would have generally taken over a role similar to Martin in this alternative storyline. Jaron would have primarily fought against the Burned Man. A particularly fierce rivalry would have been formed between him and Martin. In general, the Burned Man and his associates would have been painted in a much darker light, as Jaron would have been far more biased against them. However, ultimately Jaron would have learned about Mullendore's secret and would have immediately switched sides in disgust, seeing the Burned Man as the far lesser evil.

...if Ellena would have ended up getting help from Mullendore?

Slightly ironic, considering that she seeks help from Butterfly, huh? Anyway, Ellena would have won the “help” of Mullendore at the cost of selling Terroma out. In the end, Mullendore would have even kept his end of the bargain, as he has no interest in Ellena and wouldn't want to waste any resources on him in Chapter 3. However, Terroma would have been in grave danger. Additionally, Jaylon would have eventually tried to claim his vengeance on Ellena for stabbing her, giving her additional trouble.

...if Gutten would have allowed Samantha to leave for Oldtown the first time she asked?

Samantha would have arrived in Oldtown earlier, in fact early enough to save Lunett from Mullendore. There would have been a fight between Samuel and her which would have ended with her being forced to retreat, but in the meantime, Sasha would have managed to get Lunett out of the inn. Lucas and Leonard would have been later ambushed by Samuel and Jaylon and would have been captured. Lunett would have convinced Samantha and Sasha to help Lucas and Leonard. During the fight against Bear, Aylard would have died to protect his son. Additionally, Cass would have died for sure as well.

...if Gutten wouldn't have allowed Samantha to leave for Oldtown the second time she asked?

Bad, bad things would have happened. Butterfly wouldn't have been beaten that much, leading to him being even more cocky and disgusting towards Jaron and Harpy. Samantha wouldn't have been a PoV and the character of Sasha wouldn't have been introduced in this chapter. And most importantly, Lunett would have still died, but the situation for Lucas and Leonard would be truly hopeless. Not that there is much hope now, but with Sammy around there is still at least someone looking for them. There is a reason why I brought this choice up twice, since I want to give Lucas and Leonard at least a chance of survival.

• ...if Leonard would have stayed in Raylansfair?

Obviously, the choice to leave Leonard behind in Raylansfair would have had serious consequences on several storylines. As I said last time when I wrote the alternative choices, he would have managed to save Lady Halla from Kersea and Wolfius, albeit he would have been heavily wounded in the process. His wounds would have still affected him in this chapter, up to the point where he would have barely appeared. Starting with the next chapter, his wounds would have started to heal, however. He would have had a small appearance in one of Jenna's parts and would have also been mentioned several times. As a reward for his bravery and in an attempt to bring him closer to his side, Harris would have appointed him to the captain of the castle guard instead of Nora. Jenna would have never been attacked and would have been in a far better mood over this chapter. Leonard would have mainly appeared through her PoV and he would have also been an ally for her against Harris and especially against Wolfius and Clayton, providing her with an alternative choice instead of being limited to win the help of Harris. Lucas would have had a lot more problems in Oldtown and would have had to fight Samuel on his own in the final part. He would have been wounded in the process and would have been brought to Mullendore. Leonard however would have been relatively safe in Raylansfair.

Leonard is the goddamn hero. I think this wouldn't have been as epic as bringing him, still cool though.

...if Lunett would have stayed at the inn?

This option would have saved Lunett's life. During Bear's attack, she would have been saved by Gutten, which would have won him the respect and gratitude of Aylard. Samantha would have searched for another, far weaker excuse to travel to Oldtown to pursue her vengeance on Butterfly. Gutten would have called her out on lying to him and she would have come clean to him by revealing her backstory and pleading him to send her to Oldtown. Ultimately, the attraction between Lucas and Lunett would have never developed. Lunett's presence at the inn would have also given Cass a better chance at survival if Samantha would have been present at the same time.

I voted for her to stay, no one else did.

...if Cass would have survived?

Cass' survival would have meant Aylard's death at the same time, as she could have only been saved by Samantha, who in turn wouldn't have been around to save Aylard. Aylard's death would have taken a heavy toll on her and she would have ultimately broken up with Gutten to pursue her own life in Raylansfair as a surrogate mother/big sister for Aylard's son.

Good?

...if Jenna or Richard would have died at the end of Chapter 3?

This option would have been good for Kersea and Wolfius and bad for everyone else. In a way I can't specify yet, this would have ultimately even negatively influenced apparently unrelated characters, like Maya, Lucas or even Drent. Wolfius would have been more than pleased by the outcome, regardless of which Harking would have died. He would have praised Kersea and would have been genuinely thankful, even if he would have lost his eye as a result of Jenna's choices. However, the surviving Harking would have been heartbroken and hellbent for revenge, eventually causing them to become a far darker character. Kersea wouldn't have been punished by Clayton and the situation with Wolfius wouldn't have escalated, but the guilt would have taken another toll on her, leading her even closer to a complete mental breakdown.

It would have been good for me, and my fellow Harking haters. But if one died the other lives? Or is the heartbroken thing just in case one died and the other lived? God why couldn't have this happened.

...if Carma would have died in Jenna's stead?

I have already hinted that Urid would have become a far darker character if his wife would have died. This would have ultimately resulted in him calling a brutal hunt against Wolfius in this chapter, instead of the nice talk in the tavern. Depending on Richard's choices, Urid or Lyria or both or neither could have died during this hunt. In the end they wouldn't have succeeded in capturing Wolfius, but would have been left in a worse position than ever. They would have also learned a terrible secret about Wolfius, which has already been hinted at and will now be revealed in a future chapter.

I like this, because more peasants could have died. Wish it happened.

...if Jaron would have ended up working for Mullendore?

Several choices in the first chapter could have ended up with Jaron working for Mullendore. He would have made acquaintances with several guardsmen, among them Jaylon, who would have revealed more than just a few likeable traits and would have generally taken over a role similar to Martin in this alternative storyline. Jaron would have primarily fought against the Burned Man. A particularly fierce rivalry would have been formed between him and Martin. In general, the Burned Man and his associates would have been painted in a much darker light, as Jaron would have been far more biased against them. However, ultimately Jaron would have learned about Mullendore's secret and would have immediately switched sides in disgust, seeing the Burned Man as the far lesser evil.

Kind of want to have seen this But, when would have Jaron switched sides?

...if Ellena would have ended up getting help from Mullendore?

Slightly ironic, considering that she seeks help from Butterfly, huh? Anyway, Ellena would have won the “help” of Mullendore at the cost of selling Terroma out. In the end, Mullendore would have even kept his end of the bargain, as he has no interest in Ellena and wouldn't want to waste any resources on her. However, Terroma would have been in grave danger. Additionally, Jaylon would have eventually tried to claim his vengeance on Ellena for stabbing her, giving her additional trouble.

I'm pretty sure I voted for her to get help from him.

...if Gutten would have allowed Samantha to leave for Oldtown the first time she asked?

Samantha would have arrived in Oldtown earlier, in fact early enough to save Lunett from Mullendore. There would have been a fight between Samuel and her which would have ended with her being forced to retreat, but in the meantime, Sasha would have managed to get Lunett out of the inn. Lucas and Leonard would have been later ambushed by Samuel and Jaylon and would have been captured. Lunett would have convinced Samantha and Sasha to help Lucas and Leonard. During the fight against Bear, Aylard would have died to protect his son. Additionally, Cass would have died for sure as well.

Wait, she would have convinced S & S to help L & L AFTER they were captured? Fuck! But somehow I get a feeling that Sasha (you said Samantha didn't like men, but I never got a definitive answer for Sasha) would have fallen in love with Leonard, and ANY of my characters with a person named Sasha attached to them is certainly fucked.

...if Gutten wouldn't have allowed Samantha to leave for Oldtown the second time she asked?

Bad, bad things would have happened. Butterfly wouldn't have been beaten that much, leading to him being even more cocky and disgusting towards Jaron and Harpy. Samantha wouldn't have been a PoV and the character of Sasha wouldn't have been introduced in this chapter. And most importantly, Lunett would have still died, but the situation for Lucas and Leonard would be truly hopeless. Not that there is much hope now, but with Sammy around there is still at least someone looking for them. There is a reason why I brought this choice up twice, since I want to give Lucas and Leonard at least a chance of survival.

At least a chance of survival? Are you implying that they would have died because they wouldn't have been found, and in the future possibly will die if we choose bad choices with Samantha to leave or something like that? Also, this is good because that means the other thing about Mullendore telling Lucas being all alone equals Leonard being alive because this gives them a chance of survival! Ha!

So, a quick update... I haven't started writing the next part yet, as I want to use the time to update the summary for the first time in mon

• Leonard is the goddamn hero. I think this wouldn't have been as epic as bringing him, still cool though.

I agree. I heavily prefer the choice that actually won here, as the dynamic between Lucas and Leonard had been a lot of fun to write in Lucas' parts and because I feel that it ultimately gave more possibility for character development in Leonard's case.

Good?

More like bittersweet. It would have been far from being a happy ending.

It would have been good for me, and my fellow Harking haters. But if one died the other lives? Or is the heartbroken thing just in case one died and the other lived? God why couldn't have this happened.

If a very unlikely combination of choices would have been made in Richard's, Jenna's and Kersea's parts, both could have died. However, the chances for that one were very, very low. But keep in mind that at least the absence of Jenna would have also influenced several other PoV's in a negative way, including Lucas', so it would have been far from good even for Harking haters.

Kind of want to have seen this But, when would have Jaron switched sides?

It would have been in the Chapter 4 finale, where he would have stumbled upon Mullendore's secret. I'm not entirely sure how it would have happened in greater detail, but it would have been happend somewhere around that time.

I'm pretty sure I voted for her to get help from him.

It wasn't a direct option, but as far as I remember you picked it indeed. If she would have told Samuel and Abbas to leave, she would have ended up searching help from Mullendore.

Wait, she would have convinced S & S to help L & L AFTER they were captured? Fuck!

Yes, she would have outright refused to leave Oldtown without Lucas and Leonard, finally getting a bit of pity from Samantha. Helping them would have been a choice though, albeit I am absolutely sure that there would have been a huge majority in favour of helping them.

But somehow I get a feeling that Sasha (you said Samantha didn't like men, but I never got a definitive answer for Sasha) would have fallen in love with Leonard, and ANY of my characters with a person named Sasha attached to them is certainly fucked.

Actually, it has been stated by Sasha that she prefers women, which is pretty much the only thing she and Samantha have in common. So you can be relieved here. If Leonard is going to die or worse, it won't be Sasha's fault.

At least a chance of survival? Are you implying that they would have died because they wouldn't have been found, and in the future possibly will die if we choose bad choices with Samantha to leave or something like that?

Exactly. Perhaps I would have tried my best to avert this, as sacrificing both characters would have been very hard, but Samantha is the only person in the whole city who would have any reason at all to look for them.

...if Leonard would have stayed in Raylansfair? Obviously, the choice to leave Leonard behind in Raylansfair would have had serious c

• Well, we've made some bad choices, but it could've been worse. And I'm really happy that Jaron never worked for that damn Butterfly-Maron, ugh.

Btw, could you make a list of the characters you plan to possibly introduce in next chapter?

So, a quick update... I haven't started writing the next part yet, as I want to use the time to update the summary for the first time in mon

• Oh my guess is another Strad to appear. Also I am so hyped for Arthur to start bringing down the law on Raylansfair.

So far I have no plans of making Dairon a PoV. There will be three new PoV's in the next chapter, two of them (Arthur and Ilish) having been

• edited July 2015

Of course, here it is:

Roman, Raenna Minsworth, Aditha Nathamer, Woody Lincoln, Jarek, The Eunuch, Keat 'the Trickster', Lord Petyr Blackwood, Conor Frostborn, Alynne Hollard, Adrew Frey, Lord Hobert of Mander's Mouth, Damon Greyjoy, Roach, The Sphynx, The Lynx, Kyra Greyjoy, Durren Stallhart, Alexander Botwerys, Lawsen, Keira, Gawayne Schaffrot, Federico Snow, Wulfren Fossoway, Simon Vessels, Farris Flowers, Sherryl, Ser Rickard Fowler, Kreep, Edonia Bernile, Torrence Bernile, Ayden Blackwell, Edwin Oakheart, Alicia Oakheart, Davith Lanser

Of course, this is subject to change and some of these characters might end up not being introduced in the next chapter, but it's very likely with most of them (or outright confirmed, as in the cases of Damon Greyjoy and Lord Hobert). In some cases I am still thinking if I should put them into the story in the next chapter, but these characters are more likely than many others.

Well, we've made some bad choices, but it could've been worse. And I'm really happy that Jaron never worked for that damn Butterfly-Maron, ugh. Btw, could you make a list of the characters you plan to possibly introduce in next chapter?

• InGen_Nate_KennyInGen_Nate_Kenny Moderator
    edited July 2015

Roach? What the fuck kind of name is that?

Farris Flowers? Another bastard to add to the list of 'a field of flowers'.

The Sphynx? Where's Oedipus?

And I see a fucking Frey in there. I want to kill you already, Adrew (weird spelling).

Of course, here it is: Roman, Raenna Minsworth, Aditha Nathamer, Woody Lincoln, Jarek, The Eunuch, Keat 'the Trickster', Lord Petyr Black

• Nice to see Davith come in so soon.

Of course, here it is: Roman, Raenna Minsworth, Aditha Nathamer, Woody Lincoln, Jarek, The Eunuch, Keat 'the Trickster', Lord Petyr Black

• Roach? What the fuck kind of name is that?

That's the kind of name you end up with if you have extreme similarities with a certain species of animal by the same name.

Farris Flowers? Another bastard to add to the list of 'a field of flowers'.

Indeed, another bastard. He has even been mentioned before as a captain of the city guard who was originally supposed to meet Lucas and Leonard at the Blind Helmsman.

The Sphynx? Where's Oedipus?

Oedipus got royally scared by the Sphynx and decided not to show up for this story. Seriously, the Sphynx might be the creepiest new character in the next chapter, and we're talking about the same chapter that is going to introduce the character of Kreep. He's really fucking scary and that is a good thing, because I'm going to enjoy writing him. Lucas and Leonard are probably not going to be too thrilled by him though >:D

And I see a fucking Frey in there. I want to kill you already, Adrew (weird spelling).

I'm still not sure if the creator of the character wanted to name him Andrew and forgot the 'n'. However, since he left me no name to contact him with, he is going to be named Adrew. Westeros is full with odd versions of established names after all. This particular Frey is a pretty decent kid however. Actually I intend to make most of the Freys in this story quite likeable characters as opposed to the books, with the current Lord Frey having more than one similarity to Greatjon Umber planned.

Roach? What the fuck kind of name is that? Farris Flowers? Another bastard to add to the list of 'a field of flowers'. The Sphynx? Where's Oedipus? And I see a fucking Frey in there. I want to kill you already, Adrew (weird spelling).

• Hmm... One more for the Reach bastards which is interesting since "flowers" have been heavily included in the prophecies. Couple Greyjoys, that's neat, let's see who is the maddest of them :D Lincoln was mentioned in chapter 4 so I figured he'd be introduced soon, could be interesting character. Fossoways, Blackwoods, Oakhearts, more noble houses entering the game I suppose... And Snow, hopefully he is more the Jon-kind-of-bastard than Ramsay... Anyway can't wait for this chapter to start! :)

• Yes, it would have been a waste for his character not to introduce him in the next chapter. I'm still not entirely sure how big his involvement in the next chapter will be, since he is a very new character, but his backstory just fits perfect to the recent events.

Hazard20 posted: »

Nice to see Davith come in so soon.

• Oedipus got royally scared by the Sphynx and decided not to show up for this story. Seriously, the Sphynx might be the creepiest new character in the next chapter, and we're talking about the same chapter that is going to introduce the character of Kreep. He's really fucking scary and that is a good thing, because I'm going to enjoy writing him. Lucas and Leonard are probably not going to be too thrilled by him though >:D

Great a fucking torturer like Ramsay, that's what I assume.

I'm still not sure if the creator of the character wanted to name him Andrew and forgot the 'n'. However, since he left me no name to contact him with, he is going to be named Adrew. Westeros is full with odd versions of established names after all. This particular Frey is a pretty decent kid however. Actually I intend to make most of the Freys in this story quite likeable characters as opposed to the books, with the current Lord Frey having more than one similarity to Greatjon Umber planned.

They're already dead in my eyes.

Roach? What the fuck kind of name is that? That's the kind of name you end up with if you have extreme similarities with a certain s

• The Eunuch, Keat 'the Trickster, The Sphynx, The Lynx, I approve all character that has THE and or titles in there name... who needs real names.

• What's interesting that an eunuch is someone who got their balls taken off, like Reek. I recall someone wanting to do an Unsullied character so that might tie into that, or he's going to a torturer of like Lucas or something.

husmusen posted: »

The Eunuch, Keat 'the Trickster, The Sphynx, The Lynx, I approve all character that has THE and or titles in there name... who needs real names.

• Woah... Mullendore is... Butterfly?!?! I never expected that!

Awesome chapter Liquid! Definitely my favorite of the story so far. I'll try to answer those questions, but my cousin is up from Florida, so I'll be spending most times with her, and I don't know if I'll be able to get time to answer them in full detail and context.

Anyway, great chapter and looking forward to the next one!

Just as he said this, even before Lucas realized the meaning of these words, a bloodcurdling scream sounded from upstairs. Lucas froze in te

• I'm very sorry, Ted, that there hasn't been much feedback from me in this thread. I just want to let you know that I still follow your fanfic and certainly enjoy it a lot. I'm just currently in another country so I don't have much time to spend in the internet; but when I do, I have to use my phone, which is very uncomfortable for me.
    I must say that the ending had a big influence on me. I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, it was absolutely dark and twisted. But on the other hand, it was a great plot twist that was done in George Martin's style. It made the plot of your story far more intriguing. Good job, Ted! I hope it's not the first and the last moment that can be described this way >:D

• When can we expect a northern PoV?

• I'm very sorry, Ted, that there hasn't been much feedback from me in this thread. I just want to let you know that I still follow your fanfic and certainly enjoy it a lot. I'm just currently in another country so I don't have much time to spend in the internet; but when I do, I have to use my phone, which is very uncomfortable for me.

No problem, I know that writing from a phone is not exactly that great. But I'm glad that you still follow the story and that you still like it :D

I must say that the ending had a big influence on me. I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, it was absolutely dark and twisted. But on the other hand, it was a great plot twist that was done in George Martin's style. It made the plot of your story far more intriguing. Good job, Ted!

Yeah, it was definitely the darkest part in the story so far. It was very uncomfortable for me to write, but I'm happy that it got exactly the intended reaction. It's surely going to lead the plot into a very interesting direction!

I hope it's not the first and the last moment that can be described this way >:D

I hope so too. While that was definitely intended to be one of the more game-changing moments in the whole story, there are several scenes planned in later chapters that could get similar reactions >:D

I'm very sorry, Ted, that there hasn't been much feedback from me in this thread. I just want to let you know that I still follow your fanfi

• The first Northern PoV is planned for Chapter 6. It is also the chapter that will, among others, introduce Dante, by the way :D

AgentZ46 posted: »

When can we expect a northern PoV?

• Can't wait!

The first Northern PoV is planned for Chapter 6. It is also the chapter that will, among others, introduce Dante, by the way

• I guess I could also ask a same kind of question: When will we visit the Dorne (and possibly have Dornish PoV)? I'm pretty sure you've already answered to this at some point but I can't remember :D

The first Northern PoV is planned for Chapter 6. It is also the chapter that will, among others, introduce Dante, by the way

• Dorne won't be seen until Book 2, but there is already a storyline planned for it.

I guess I could also ask a same kind of question: When will we visit the Dorne (and possibly have Dornish PoV)? I'm pretty sure you've already answered to this at some point but I can't remember

• I just came from my vacation, and read all of what I was missing, and wow, just wow.Things got really fuc,,, I mean complicated.
    This whole story is great. Only thing that I didn't like with your writing was your lack of Martin's brutality, but you changed that in one chapter. Keep up the good work :)

• edited July 2015

As I promised, here are the alternative choices for this chapter!

Alternative Choices: Chapter IV

Lucas I:

[Reveal Dairon's position to Mullendore]

This option would have had major consequences and would have been one of the options that would have been needed to ensure Lunett's survival at the end of this chapter. Mullendore would have questioned Dairon, but would have ultimately agreed to leave him in care of Archmaester Quent. He would have been pleased and would have seen Lucas and Leonard as potential allies. Depending on your following choices it would have been possible that the Mullendore=Butterfly reveal wouldn't have happened at the end of the chapter. Quent and Leonard would have been extremely and rightfully angry however. There would have also been disastrous long-term consequencs.

Jaron I:

[Storm into the room]

Jaron and Martin would have stormed into the room, getting a first small glimpse of the Tom in the process, who was about to leave after his talk with Robb. The Tom would have wounded Martin with a throwing knife before escaping over the roof. Martin wouldn't have been able to beat Robb, as his wound would have required medical attention. Later on, the Tom would have recognized Jaron and this would have caused further tension in the fight against the fake Butterfly.

Torvin I:

[Ignore Hjalgar]

So far there wouldn't have been that many consequences coming from that one. However, this would have influenced Hjalgar's opinion about Torvin, which will play a role in future chapters.

Samantha I:

[Leave]

Samantha would have left the inn, leaving Sasha and Jaylon alone. She wouldn't have been present to join Martin and wouldn't have allied with Sasha, leaving her in a worse situation than before at the start of the next chapter

Jenna I:

[Don't work with Harris]

This wouldn't have that many consequences right now, but would have heavily influenced Jenna's role in the next chapter. She's now going to work with Harris, allowing me to show more of the Lord Bastard as well as revealing a new side of the Raylansfair storyline.

Willfred I:

[Don't split up and take the eastern path]

This would have given Willfred a completely new storyline down the road to Highgarden. I haven't planned this one in greater detail, but he wouldn't have met Jaro, I'Lian and Roger.

[Split up and take the eastern path]

The same as above, but additionally Tallian would have been pissed again

[Split up and take the western path]

This option would have left Willfred with less men when arriving at the inn, which would have caused Tallian to be a) very pissed and b) more in favour of working with Jaro and I'Lian

Maya I:

[Take the bow yourself]

This would have given Maya the option to shoot the bandit herself later on. However, unlike Irving she wouldn't have managed to kill him silently, which would have resulted in an even worse flight for her and Irving.

[Leave the bow behind]

This would have left Maya with the choice to surprise attack the bandit before he could find her instead of shooting him, in the hopes that she could get away while Bear and Rodrik would have been still confused by her attack. It would have worked, albeit it would have been by far the least elegant option

Richard I:

[Stay at the castle and try to console Jenna]

This would have had only minor consequences to Jenna's behaviour, as Richard is not exactly skilled at being a good therapist. However, he wouldn't have been around in the tavern and his parts there would have been given to Lyria instead. At the end of this chapter, he would have had another part involving the characters of Nora and Darren.

Lucas II:

[Agree to leave Dairon at the Citadel]

This would have allowed Lucas to ally himself with Archmaester Quent and it would also be one of the options that would have been needed to ensure Lunett's survival. Quent would have made a plan to bring Lucas and Leonard out of the city, unlocking a different path for this chapter. There would have been the possibility for this chapter to end on a far more upbeat tone if you had put your trust in Quent, however there would have also been long-term consequences that would have been less pleasant.

Alys I:

[Accept the offer and seek shelter at the farm]

Alys would have went to the farm and would have been safe for a short time there. However, as you know, Harmund Hoare ultimately learned about that location and well, the things he did there would put even Maron Mullendore to shame. This would have also influenced Torvin's parts, as Harmund wouldn't have found an excuse to leave Harlan behind. Alys would have escaped from the farm with Harlan chasing her, leading to her meeting with Edward and his mercenaries.

Lyria I:

[Don't go to the tavern, but allow Rosalie to go]

This would have caused Lyria to be absent from the rest of the chapter, but Rosalie would have been present, shifting the odds far more in favour of Philip's plan in the final Richard part of this chapter.

[Don't go to the tavern and don't allow Rosalie to go]

This would have caused Lyria and Rosalie to be absent from the rest of the chapter, resulting only in minor dialogue changes in the later Richard parts. However, if neither Lyria nor Richard would have been at the tavern, the decision which plan to choose would have been made offscreen and it would have been automatically in favour of Urid's plan.

Drent I

[Go and watch the meeting]

The meeting would have indeed proven to be quite boring and uneventful. However, that would have resulted in less screentime for Jax and Emphryus. The events that happened during the dinner would have unfolded normally.

Jaron II:

[Stop Martin from beating him up]

This choice had major consequences on Robb's behaviour in this chapter. With all of his flaws, Robb was not a bad person towards anyone who shows him kindness and he would have been far more supportive of Jaron. He would have been honestly concerned and enraged about the possibility of Jaron falling for Harpy and would have repeatedly warned him about her. In his eyes, he would have been sure that she would only manipulate him.

Ellena I:

[Decline to bring Terroma the letter]

This would have caused the Burned Man to be disappointed, but he would have still kept his word and helped her. Ellena's third part in this chapter wouldn't have happened and there would have been no chance for Terroma to get the Burned Man's letter (whose content might be revealed in the next chapter depending on your choices)

Garthon I:

[Tell them the truth but claim that you are a Riverlander]

Well, Garthon is a good liar and he would have succeeded in defusing the situation and winning Jon's help. However, it would have been highly questionable if the Harper would have truly trusted him or not.

[Tell them a lie]

The same as above applies, but Garthon wouldn't have won the help of Jon, as he would have told him a harmless lie about why he and George would travel to Maidenpool.

Kersea I:

[“No”]

Kersea would have told Alysanne that they aren't friends, which would have resulted in a certainly noticeable change in Alysanne's behaviour. While she is currently trying her best to be a good friend, in her own inexperienced, somewhat childish way, her behaviour would have been far colder and less affectionate if Kersea would have denied her here. Later, Alysanne wouldn't have stepped in when Clayton was about to punish Kersea for her disobedience, resulting in Kersea's hand getting broken. This wound would have heavily affected her for the remainder of her appearances in Book 1.

Torvin II:

[Shoot the man yourself]

This would have had disastrous consequences for Torvin. It is definitely not a good idea to anger Harmund Hoare, as he would have felt first hand. The prince would have tried to kill him by ordering his dogs to maul Torvin. Torvin would have received a few nasty bite wounds until Harlan would have stepped in by ordering the dogs to retreat. Harmund would have been extremely angry at his brother for stepping in and he would have beaten Harlan almost to death, leaving it to a wounded Torvin, Gabin and Hjalgar to save Harlan's life. Hjalgar would have been thankful for Torvin, but he wouldn't have earned the respect of the other Ironborn on this route.

Marak I:

[Offer to train the recruits]

Obviously the flirting scene between him and Nora wouldn't have happened the way it did. However, Nora would have been impressed with Marak's skill and the patience with which he would have trained the recruits and she would have shown surprising hints of affection. Marak being Marak would have destroyed any chance of romance between the two of course, but her rejection would have been far less painful for him.

Lucas III:

[Leave]

This wouldn't have necessarily ended any romance between Lucas and Lunett, albeit the consequences for this would have been greater if she would have survived this chapter, as their romance would have been a bit slower. Since she died, this choice would had little long-term consequences though.

Maya II:

[Try to hide by crawling deeper into the bushes]

Surprisingly, this one would have worked. Neither Bear nor Rodrik nor Bear's guard would have spotted Maya and she would have learned a bit more about the sinister plan Rodrik and Bear are involved in. She and Irving would have later met Christian while on their way out of the forest, where Irving would have accidentally mistaken him for an enemy initially.

Jaron III:

[Punch him]

This would have caused Jaron to give Robb a well-deserved beating. Robb's behaviour in this chapter would have been even more jerkish and he would have ultimately even switched sides in the final battle against the fake Butterfly. Jaron would have been ashamed at himself for loosing control.

Drent II:

[Search for the Maester]

Drent would have searched for the Maester of Storm's End (obviously), which would have allowed me to introduce the Maester as a minor and somewhat quirky side character. The character of Lady Tariel would have been introduced earlier and would have basically gotten Garen's role in this chapter as someone who would have talked to Drent about his opinion on the things that happened. However, she would have been more in favour of the Storm King's actions.

Samantha II:

[Allow him to take the money]

Jaylon would have been pleasantly surprised and would have left with his money. Sasha would have been pleased by this outcome, as this would have been safer for her career in Oldtown and she would have been a bit nicer to Samantha. Obviously, Samantha wouldn't have had the money, which will play a minor role in the next chapter.

Willfred II:

[Sneak with Jaro and I'lian through the backdoor]

Except that Tallian would have been pissed (again), this would have been the better option as opposed to just storm the inn. The assault on the inn would have worked flawless and Roger would have been more pleased about Willfred's actions.

Torvin III:

[Advise him to return to Harrenhal]

This would have caused Torvin, Harlan, Hjalgar and Gabin to get no other appearance in this chapter. They would have returned to Harrenhal earlier, resulting in a slightly more pleased Lord Captain Greyjoy in the next chapter. Alys wouldn't have been hunted in this choice and would have had an actual choice of accompanying Edward to Harrenhal or continuing her journey. This would have had major consequences for her future storyline.

Ellena II:

[Decline Martin's help]

This would have caused Ellena to walk through the nightly streets of Oldtown all on her own. She would have realized the stupidity of this as soon as a thankfully mostly harmless beggar would have stolen the letter from her, resulting in an additional storyline for Ellena in the next chapter in which she would have tried to get the letter for Terroma back.

Richard II:

[Don't ask Jarow for help]

This would have limited Jarow's screentime in this and the next chapter severely. It would have also taken influence on the decision in the final Richard part of this chapter, where Urid's plan would have been automatically the favoured one.

Kersea II:

[Don't punch back]

Kersea would have received even further punishment and would have been beaten even harder until Alysanne would have stepped in. Wolfius would have been slightly more pleased in this option as Kersea would have ended up getting hurt more.

Garthon II:

[Don't work with Jon]

This would have caused Jon, Dacey and Jared to be absent for the remainder of Garthon's parts in this chapter. Garthon would have lost the opportunity to let Jon deal with Mosso, but there would have been a longer talk between him and George. This will also have consequences for later in the story.

Ellena III:

[Give him the letter]

Samuel would have been in possession of the letter. His allegiances will be revealed in the next chapter, so whomever he is working for would have ended up with it.

Lucas IV

[Reveal Dairon's location]

This would have actually been the worst option you could have picked in the whole chapter. Mullendore already suspected that Dairon was with Lucas and Leonard ever since they took him with them when they left the Citadel. He would have imprisoned Lucas and Leonard and would have been greatly... let's call it upset when he would have failed to capture Dairon.

Alys II:

[Tell them a fake name]

Alys would have introduced herself as Alys Snow and Edward would have addressed her as such. His behaviour towards her wouldn't have changed that much, but Harlan would have been even more irritated when Edward would have refused to hand her over to him.

John I:

[Don't pay for Aylard's room]

This option would have greatly upset Behara. Aylard would have been more understanding of this, since he never expected anything to begin with. Janae and Temari would have been in favour of this option.

Maya III:

[Go back and try to find Dimitri]

Maya would have refused to leave Dimitri behind and would have looked for him in the forest. This would have resulted in an additional Maya part, which would have also had a speaking appearance for Gregar and Aldrik. It would have been dangerous for her, but with help from Christian she eventually would have found Dimitri safely and would have brought him along for Raylansfair.

Drent III:

[Agree with Garen]

This option would have pleased Garen. Drent would have also been more vocal with critique against the Storm King in later parts.

[Stay silent]

Garen would have been angered that Drent would refuse to talk to him and would have crudely mocked him, much to Drent's annoyance.

Jaron IV:

[Attack Butterfly directly]

Ironically, this option would have resulted in the least death, as Robb would have survived. Jaron would have fought against Butterfly, but would have been grievously wounded in the process. He would have survived, however. Robb wouldn't have sacrificed himself, but he would have helped in the fight against Butterfly

[Accept Butterfly's offer and lower your sword]

This option would have been very sad to write, mainly because of Harpy's reaction. She would have been completely dumbfounded by this, while the fake Butterfly would have rejoiced that he managed to capture Harpy and stay alive at the same time. While Jaron would have been willing to give up, this option would have been good for Robb's character, who had a good heart after all. He would have attacked Butterfly and would have sacrificed his life in the process. Jaron would have later been disgusted by his own behaviour, while Harpy would have been in denial about his actions, later complimenting him for his cunning. However, it would have been questionable how much she would believe herself.

Samantha III:

[Try to convince Sasha to join the fight against Butterfly]

Samantha would have succeeded in convincing Sasha to join, causing her to have a small appearance alongside the other mercenaries in Jaron's next chapter, where she would have been a useful asset. She would have been disgusted by the thought of torturing Butterfly to death and would have vocally opposed this, eventually leaving the warehouse as soon as Harpy would have started to slaughter the man. However, she wouldn't have been able to locate Lunett in the meantime, which would have had consequences for the beginning of the next chapter.

Marak II:

[“Yes”]

This choice will have major consequences on Marak's actions in later chapters. Basically, this option would have left him with some basic human decency when it comes with how to deal with children and would have prevented him from doing some heinous actions later in the story.

Garthon III:

[Knock again]

Eventually, Garthon's knocking would have caused an unnerved Mosso to open the door for them, albeit he would have been greatly irritated by Garthon's actions.

[Try to kick the door in]

Ironically, this option would have amused Mosso in turn and he would have been a lot more jovial towards Garthon. However, he would have claimed more of their money to repair his door.

Lucas V:

[Run to the inn without additional help]

This would have been the better option in that case, obviously. Jaylon wouldn't have been around to threaten Lucas. Leonard would have still stayed back to fight against Samuel, but Lucas and Mullendore would have fought against each other. However, Lucas emotional state would have lead him to make mistakes. Mullendore has thirty years of combat experience after all and would have won the duel. However, he would have been severely wounded in the process and wouldn't have tortured Lunett to death. Instead he would have simply stabbed her in anger. His wound would have affected him for the remainder of his appearances in the whole story.

Richard III:

[Support Philip's plan]

This option would have resulted in a completely different chapter 5 for Richard and Co. It would have also resulted in different outcomes. People may live or die because of your decision here.

Garthon IV:

[Choose Basilisk's venom]

Obviously, choosing between deadly and immediately deadly isn't a very diverse choice. But this option will have surprising consequences for later

Jaron V:

[Try to convince her to spare Butterfly]

After a lot of talking and arguing, Harpy would have agreed to take Butterfly as a prisoner. She would have been very upset by this, shouting at Jaron that he has no right to deny her her much-deserved vengeance. However, he would have argued that she is better than this and would have managed to convince her. In the end, she would have even been happier with this. Samantha would have been absolutely furious about this, even attempting to kill Butterfly herself. Ultimately, Jaron would have convinced her too, telling her that death would be far too merciful for Butterfly. Samantha would have agreed to this. Butterfly would have mocked and insulted Jaron for being a weakling and a coward and his continuing taunts would have caused Jaron to violently break Butterfly's leg by stomping on it. Under the threat of torture, the fake Butterfly would have confessed, resulting in a part of Mullendore's masterplan to fail.

• Thanks a lot, I'm glad you liked it! And yes, things got quite complicated now :D

I just came from my vacation, and read all of what I was missing, and wow, just wow.Things got really fuc,,, I mean complicated. This whole

• Lucas I:

[Reveal Dairon's position to Mullendore]

This option would have had major consequences and would have been one of the options that would have been needed to ensure Lunett's survival at the end of this chapter. Mullendore would have questioned Dairon, but would have ultimately agreed to leave him in care of Archmaester Quent. He would have been pleased and would have seen Lucas and Leonard as potential allies. Depending on your following choices it would have been possible that the Mullendore=Butterfly reveal wouldn't have happened at the end of the chapter. Quent and Leonard would have been extremely and rightfully angry however. There would have also been disastrous long-term consequencs.

Disastrous? Well, I assume that means Lucas and Leonard will die, and Butterfly will cause Raylansfair serious problems.

Lucas II:

[Agree to leave Dairon at the Citadel]

This would have allowed Lucas to ally himself with Archmaester Quent and it would also be one of the options that would have been needed to ensure Lunett's survival. Quent would have made a plan to bring Lucas and Leonard out of the city, unlocking a different path for this chapter. There would have been the possibility for this chapter to end on a far more upbeat tone if you had put your trust in Quent, however there would have also been long-term consequences that would have been less pleasant.

Goddamnit I wish we did this. Although those consquences.

Lucas IV

[Reveal Dairon's location]

This would have actually been the worst option you could have picked in the whole chapter. Mullendore already suspected that Dairon was with Lucas and Leonard ever since they took him with them when they left the Citadel. He would have imprisoned Lucas and Leonard and would have been greatly... let's call it upset when he would have failed to capture Dairon.

I assume he would have them tortured. Not good. Glad it didn't happen.

Lucas V:

[Run to the inn without additional help]

This would have been the better option in that case, obviously. Jaylon wouldn't have been around to threaten Lucas. Leonard would have still stayed back to fight against Samuel, but Lucas and Mullendore would have fought against each other. However, Lucas emotional state would have lead him to make mistakes. Mullendore has thirty years of combat experience after all and would have won the duel. However, he would have been severely wounded in the process and wouldn't have tortured Lunett to death. Instead he would have simply stabbed her in anger. His wound would have affected him for the remainder of his appearances in the whole story.

Damnit, I remember when you said it the one we choose would give Butterfly's men more time to get Lunett, and we brought the fuckers straight towards him. We could have fucked up that motherfucking piece of shit.

Jaron V:

[Try to convince her to spare Butterfly]

After a lot of talking and arguing, Harpy would have agreed to take Butterfly as a prisoner. She would have been very upset by this, shouting at Jaron that he has no right to deny her her much-deserved vengeance. However, he would have argued that she is better than this and would have managed to convince her. Samantha would have been absolutely furious about this, even attempting to kill Butterfly herself. Ultimately, Jaron would have convinced her too, telling her that death would be far too merciful for Butterfly. Samantha would have agreed to this. Butterfly would have mocked and insulted Jaron for being a weakling and a coward and his continuing taunts would have caused Jaron to violently break Butterfly's leg by stomping on it. Under the threat of torture, the fake Butterfly would have confessed, resulting in a part of Mullendore's masterplan to fail.

Goddamnit I voted for this, THEY WOULD HAVE FOUND OUT ABOUT MULLENDORE AND COULD HAVE SAVED THEM FUCK

As I promised, here are the alternative choices for this chapter! Alternative Choices: Chapter IV Lucas I: [Reveal Dairon's posit

• It's too sad that Liquid become Solid, I'm still mad because of his part with fake Butterfly as he expected to choose spare Butterfly, but he didn't give any whatsoever reason to convince us to take that option, he just assume that Chivalric code will be enough for us, treated our foe with courtesy and spare their life.?.?.? that's bullshit, and worse than ever Jaron stay and watch a defeated man get torture while his code demand: "This man protected the weak, as every true knight must." Baelor Targaryen. Jaron isn't a true knight!
    @ualexen92 Sustain me!

Lucas I: [Reveal Dairon's position to Mullendore] This option would have had major consequences and would have been one of the

• It's too sad that Liquid become Solid

[Metal Gear intensifies]

I'm still mad because of his part with fake Butterfly as he expected to choose spare Butterfly, but he didn't give any whatsoever reason to convince us to take that option, he just assume that Chivalric code will be enough for us, treated our foe with courtesy and spare their life

Actually, I never expected you to spare "Butterfly" and I definitely never tried to convince you to spare him. I'm neutral for most choices and there are very rare times where I try to influence you in a certain direction. If I really wanted you to spare him, I would have made him plead for his life instead of making him utter some of the lowest insults possible. That said, I also gave a few good reasons to spare him. First and foremost, the chivalric code, which "Butterfly" also mentioned. Second, he promised to end the war in Oldtown if his life gets spared. Of course, that was a lie, but at that moment it could have very well been the truth. Two good reasons to spare him, which also got mentioned in the story. Objectively however, if he would have been the real Butterfly, which Jaron assumed at the time, killing him would have been the safer choice, as he is not exactly trustworthy.

that's bullshit, and worse than ever Jaron stay and watch a defeated man get torture while his code demand: "This man protected the weak, as every true knight must." Baelor Targaryen. Jaron isn't a true knight!

That one is debatable. A true knight is charged with protecting the weak, and in this situation, "Butterfly" was the weak. However, what is with all the weak people he tortured and killed? And what is with all the weak people he would have continued to kill if Jaron (and by extension, the Burned Man) would have allowed him to leave Oldtown? "Butterfly" never promised to atone for his sins and to become a better person, he only promised to leave the city, while highly implying to continuing his work somewhere else. It can be argued that Jaron decided not to save Butterfly in order to save countless other lives.

On top of that, never forget that Jaron is not a worldly-wise and experienced knight like Baelor Breakspear. He is a hedge knight, born as a smallfolk bastard, the lowest of the low. He never had any formal knightly education, as his mentor had been a hedge knight too. On top of that, he is eighteen years old, pumped with adrenaline after barely surviving this fight, and the girl he has quite the crush on pleads him to allow her to kill a man who can best be described as a monster, a monster who is also crudely insulting and threatening said girl. Of course it wasn't very chivalric of him, but he probably never thought that Harpy would go that far (She neither, by the way, as she was absolutely horrified by her own actions and loss of control)

Finally, let's take a look at the chivalric code which a true knight is supposed to follow, according to the ASOIAF wiki:

Be brave and just

Jaron was unarguably brave, as he decided to fight against Butterfly instead of saving his own life like a coward. The 'just' part is debatable, but never forget that Butterfly is one of the most horrible human beings imaginable. He deserved death for his crimes and he got death. Extremely brutal torture is not knightly, sure, but in some way it was justice too, as it was only a small glimpse of the horrible pain "Butterfly" used to inflict on his victims.

Defend the young and innocent, especially women who can not defend themselves.

Jaron certainly defended Harpy, who fits at least the 'young and defenseless'-criteria, with a questionable amount of innocence. And by not allowing Butterfly to live, he also defended countless of potential future victims.

Be cleanly as well as godly

Cleanly is hard to pull of for a hedge knight without a permanent residence, I think we can give him a pass here. Like all knights, Jaron is a godly man and while he is not as religious as others, he is definitely no heretic.

Act with military courtesy: in combat when nobles and knights are taken prisoner, their lives are spared and are often held for ransom.

Here's where it get's a bit iffy. Butterfly is not a nobleman and not a knight, so theoretically, Jaron never went against the code here. No one epects of him to spare a brutal and monstrous criminal who all but promised to continue his disgusting crimes somewhere else. I still gave you the choice to spare him ;)

By a certain definition, Jaron's greatest violation of the knightly code is that he does not bathe daily. By other definitions, his own included, he clearly violated the knightly code by making a hard choice in the heat of the moment. However, keep in mind that he never claimed to be a true knight. He's just a hedge knight and still far more honourable than most hedge knights.

It's too sad that Liquid become Solid, I'm still mad because of his part with fake Butterfly as he expected to choose spare Butterfly, but h

• When can we expect the next chapter to come out?

• It will start today. I have written about two-thirds of the next part, so it should be done in a few hours :)

DiverseGnu posted: »

When can we expect the next chapter to come out?

• I'm still pretty confident about my theory about you not being human, but actually you being a writing machine powered by skin flakes from George R. R. Martin

It will start today. I have written about two-thirds of the next part, so it should be done in a few hours

• Jaron is only eighteen!? The image in my head of him needs to be adjusted then.

It's too sad that Liquid become Solid [Metal Gear intensifies] I'm still mad because of his part with fake Butterfly as he exp

• edited July 2015

Act II: Shattered and Broken

Chapter II: The Iron Price

Samantha

Samantha had seen a lot of death in her life. The slaughtered bodies of her family, they would haunt her dreams forever. The sight and especially the smell of a thousand charred corpses on the fields of Tyrosh, where Aegon Targaryen's dragons had burned the Volantene army, she would never forget it. The screams of Butterfly, as that girl castrated him... for the first time in her life, Samantha dearly hoped that she would never get an image out of her head. For the past five years she had dreamed of this moment. Of course, she had always hoped that she would be the one to kill him, but watching it had been just as satisfying. Still... it left a sour taste in her mouth. There was one question she couldn't get out of her head as she was walking through the streets of Oldtown, through a city that was finally free of Butterfly. What now? This had been her life for the past five years. Now that is was over, what was left for her?

“Lunett”, she mumbled to herself. Lunett was the next step. Getting her out of this city, with or without help from Lucas and Leonard. Then? Who knew... She could return to Gutten. He had always been good to her. Or she could return to Pentos. Or... no, not the North. Too many bad memories. A smile flashed over her face, to suppress any hint of sadness. In some way Samantha was looking forward for a life finally free of Butterfly.

She arrived at the inn minutes later. At least a part of her would have liked to stay with the other mercenaries. Martin had promised a victory feast and Samantha had always liked feasts. But there were more important things waiting for her. Lunett was all that mattered now.

Sasha was sitting at a different table, drinking a different wine, but the look she gave Samantha as she approached was still the same. “You're back. Any success with Butterfly?”, she stated with a monotone voice and Samantha gave her an enthusiastic nod. “He's dead”, she answered. “And he had to suffer before it happened...” Sasha raised her hand, finally looking up from the table. “No details please. I'm sure it was gruesome, or else you wouldn't grin like that. I can sleep better without imagining the details” Samantha gave her a nod. “Noted”, she answered. “You found anything out?”

Sasha let out a sigh. “Had to ask a few of my contacts. Had to talk to a few people I wouldn't even look at otherwise. But yes, I found something out. Your girl, she's at the Blind Helmsman”, the woman answered and waited for a moment. She sighed as she noticed Samantha's still confused look. “Soldier's inn. Bunch of arrogant pricks”, she explained. “Not that far from here. We can be there in thirty minutes”

With a grin, Samantha slid her a golden coin. “The first of many!”, she promised. Sasha quickly grabbed the coin and her cup, filled with wine. To Samantha's surprise, she raised it and smirked slightly. “To a good partnership”, she proclaimed, emptying it in a single gulp. “These knights, any idea how they will react?”

Samantha shrugged and gave Sasha a sign to follow her outside. “Lead the way”, she ordered her and Sasha started to walk down the street, Samantha walking next to her. It was evening, the sun was currently hiding behind the Hightower. Gloomy twilight filled the streets and the air was mercifully cold. “Truth is, I don't know how they will react and, frankly, I couldn't care less. I won't leave them a choice. They had no right to take her without her father's conscience”, she answered.

Sasha slightly shook her head. “I disagree”, she answered. “The girl's wishes are more important. But perhaps it wasn't clever of them to just, you know, take her without any kind of explanation. What are you going to do if they won't let her go?”

Samantha thought about this for a moment. “I'd talk”, she answered. “I was always good at talking” Sasha chuckled as she heard this. “Yeah, I can see that”, she answered with a mocking voice. “I mean, would you be ready to fight them if necessary? If they absolutely refuse to let her go?”

“I don't know”, Samantha answered. “I hope it won't come that far. Do you know how to fight a knight?” Sasha shook her head. “Give me a horse and I would mow them down. One reason why I hate this city. But in a fair fight? My arakh is not meant to cut through plate armour. What about your tiny axes?”, she asked.

“Well, they won't wear their armour all the time, right? Perhaps we can surpise them”, Samantha said and Sasha gave her a nod. “Without the armour, they won't stand a chance. But I'd like you to succeed with your talking. There has to be a better way than to kill them”, the woman muttered.

Samantha gave her a nod. “I agree”, she answered. “Not to keen on killing them, but if they don't give me a choice, I'm ready” Sasha seemed to be satisfied by this answer. “Sounds good to me. We'll see soon. Just down that alleyway here...”

All of a sudden, she stopped, putting both hands on the hilt of her arakh. “I don't like this...”, she mumbled, looking down the alleyway. “What do you mean?”, Samantha asked, putting a hand on the hilt of her hatchet. Butterfly's blood was still there. For some reason it felt less satisfying than it should have. “It's too silent in here”, Sasha explained. “That's one of Oldtown's nicest taverns over there. Normally there should be music and laughter and...” She stopped, her eyes wide opened as she grabbed Samantha at the shoulders, quickly pulling her into an adjacent house entrance. “Fuck...”, she mumbled. “Stay down...”

“What.. what is it?”, Samantha demanded to know in confusion and Sasha leant forward, looking out of the entrance, narrowing her eyes. “City guard. More than a dozen and... Fuck!”, she exclaimed, quickly pulling back. “See for yourself...”

Samantha leant forwards, looking down the alleyway, while trying her best not to be seen. From an adjacent street, a contingent of city guards entered the alleyway, slowly walking towards the inn. Their leader was a tall man, probably in his late thirties, with a clean-shaven, plain-looking face and short, dark-brown hair.

“You know that one?”, Samantha asked and Sasha gave her a slightly irritating look before nodding hesitantly. “Farris Flowers, captain of the guard. One of Mullendore's butchers...”, she answered and let out a frustrated sigh. “Speaking of the devil”

As Samantha looked back to the tavern, she saw a man walking out of it. His walk was slightly off and he was trailing his left leg, hinting at some sort of old wound. He was slightly overweight, but tall, taller than any of his guards, with red hair that already started to grey. His clean-shaven face had probably been handsome twenty years ago, but it was clear that he hadn't aged well.

“Maron Mullendore”, Sasha explained. “Commander of the City Guard, praised leader and veteran of many battles” Samantha raised an eyebrow as she heard the annoyed tone in Sasha's voice. “You don't like him?”, she asked and the other woman gave her a nod. “Have worked for him for a short time, since he's the best option if you don't want to work for the Burned Man or Butterfly. Dumb as an ox, but very talented at surviving pretty much everything. Talked to him once and I hated the way he looked at me. And then there are the rumours...”

“Rumours?”, Samantha asked and Sasha's face gave her disgust away. “He has a brutal streak. Some would call him 'cruel'. Has a history of beating up whores. Of course, he gets away with it, who would ever dare to call him out on it? And that... that makes me furious”, she answered. “And if he is here, something bad happened in that building. I'm willing to be my horse that it has something to do with your knights”

Samantha gave her a worried nod. “I'm not betting against that. That many guards... that can't be a conincidence”, she answered and narrowed her eyes as she saw more people walking out of the building. “What the fuck...”, she mumbled.

The first to walk out of the door was Leonard Constantine. The knight looked paler than she remembered him, holding his waist, his hands bound in iron. He looked as if he was about to faint any moment. Even from the distance, Samantha could see the desperate look on his face. Behind him walked Jaylon Gordus, now wearing armour similar to the one worn by the city guard. And behind him, two guards carried a clearly unconscious Lucas Flowers out of the tavern, his faced battered and bruised.

“Since when is Jaylon Gordus a member of the city guard?”, Samantha asked and Sasha shrugged. “Don't know. He's a sleazy opportunist. Wouldn't be too surprised if he works for Butterfly and Mullendore”, she answered. “Those are your knights, right?” Samantha barely looked at her, but gave her a nod, as she clenched her fists. That was not good. That was not good at all. Both, Lucas and Leonard had signs of a fight. And Lunett was nowhere to be seen...

“Commander Mullendore!”, the leader of the newly arrived guards said as he immediately stood attention. “I didn't know you were here too” Mullendore gave him a short nod and a pleased smile. “Captain Farris, just at the right time”, he said with a hoarsy voice, starting to cough as he pressed these words out. “There has been...”

He burst into a violent cough, looking at Jaylon for help. “Commander Mullendore was called here while on patrol duty. He was under the impression that it was only a small disturbance, but as soon as he got here, he found himself pitted against Samuel Harrington himself. Luckily, me and my men were nearby”, the man explained. “As soon as Samuel noticed that he was badly outnumbered, he flew the scenery, leaving these two behind”

“Who are they?”, Captain Farris asked, raising an eyebrow as he looked at Leonard. The wounded knight attempted to take a step forwards, but Jaylon immediately held him back. “Don't believe them!”, Leonard shouted. “He is Butterfly! He did this!” Jaylon silenced him by violently hitting him on the back of his head, causing a bit of laughter from the surrounding guards. Samantha on the other hand had her eyes widely opened, her fists clenched up to the point where it hurt. Butterfly was dead, she had seen him die! What madness had befallen the knight that he was claiming such things?

“They worked with Harrington. Probably hedge knights in service of Butterfly, for what we know. Tricked me into believing them and lured me into a trap”, Mullendore explained. “And what they did to that girl...” He shuddered and Samantha nearly froze in terror. What they did to that girl... She closed her eyes, clenching her teeth in anger. If they did anything to Lunett...

Mullendore's facial expression told her everything she needed to know. The knight was shaken by what he had seen inside of the tavern. And he looked like a man who wasn't easily shaken by a disturbing sight. Captain Farris seemed to understand too. He gave his commander a nod, as a sign that he needed no further explanation, looking at the knights with an angry expression on his face. “What shall happen to them?”, he asked with clear disgust in his voice.

“We're separating them, interrogating them in separate locations. The unconscious one will go with me, to the Hightower. The loudmouth will go with Captain Jaylon, to Robett's Gate”, Mullendore explained. “In the meantime, I want you and your men to search the tavern. The Fang did good work from what we have seen. No survivors. But he had to flee in a hurry, so perhaps he left some evidence behind. Close the inn off, search it thoroughly. And get a cart for the corpses”

With these words, Commander Mullendore started to leave, four men following him, two of them carrying an unconscious Lucas. Captain Farris and Jaylon saluted, before glaring at each other for a short moment. Jaylon turned around, walking down the alleyway in the opposite direction, behind him to men who had grabbed Leonard at the shoulders, dragging him with them. For a moment, Samantha feared that Jaylon would walk past them, possibly seeing them, but he took a turn and walked through an adjacent alleyway, leaving them behind.

“So...”, Sasha mumbled. “That does not sound good” Samantha shot her a desperate glare and shook her head. “Not at all...”, she answered. “What Constantine said... about Mullendore being Butterfly”

Sasha frowned as she heard this and slightly shook her head. “You told me you saw him dying”, she mumbled, but narrowed her eyes. “That's just impossible. Mullendore as Butterfly? True, both are disgusting human beings, but that does not mean that they are the same person, right?” She looked at Samantha, slightly curious. “So, what are you going to do now?”, she asked.

Samantha noticed that she had still clenched her fists, up to the point where opening them again almost caused her pain. “I need to get inside of that tavern. I need to find out what happened to Lunett”, she hissed and for a short moment, Sasha gave her a concerned look. “Are you sure? You might not like what you find”

“Doesn't matter”, Samantha answered. “I have to know. And then we're going after the knights. I will ask them a few questions and seven hells await them if they don't answer” Despite her current state of mind, or perhaps because of it, she couldn't resist a slight smirk. “You know a way into that tavern?”

For a moment, Sasha hesitated to answer. A moment too long. Samantha gave her an inquisitive look and grabbed her at the shoulders. “Sasha, please. I need your help here”, she urged her and the other woman let out a sigh. “Farris Flowers”, she answered and pointed at the group. “The captain over there, the one who just walked out of the building. Owes me a favour” Her gaze hardened as she looked back at Samantha. “If you make me use that favour, I expect a reward later”

“Twenty golden hands”, Samantha offered and Sasha shook her head. “Thirty”, she answered. “Twenty-five”, Samantha tried again. “Thirty-five”, Sasha answered and Samantha let out a sigh. “Fine, thirty”, she agreed and Sasha gave her a smirk. “A pleasure to do business with you”, she chuckled and stepped out of the house entrance, pulling Samantha with her.

As they walked up to the city guard, the men gave them questioning, perhaps almost hostile glares. A worrying number of them had their hands on their sword, some of them even presented their steel. The captain wasn't among them, albeit his glare was the least friendly, especially once he saw Sasha. She looked similarly displeased, but managed to give him an almost polite nod. “Farris”, she greeted him shortly. He narrowed his eyes. “Captain Farris”, he answered and Sasha let out a sigh. “Captain Farris”, she tried again and this time the hint of a smile flashed across the man's face. “Sasha”, he greeted her. “What do you want?”

Sasha looked from him to Samantha, an almost apologetic look on her face as she seemed to be at a loss of words for a moment. “What can I say... me and my... companion, Samantha, we really need to have a look inside of that building”, she managed to explain and Farris face dropped. “No way”, he growled shortly, but sighed as Sasha started to smirk at him. “I really don't want to reveal it here... you know... but... You remember the docks?”, she asked.

Farris pressed his lips together as he looked from Sasha to Samantha. “I remember them. And I remember that I saved your life almost as often as you saved mine on that day”, he answered. “'Almost' being the key word”, Sasha answered coldly. “Just a quick look. Samantha needs to check something out. She's not working for Butterfly, you know you can trust me with this”

The captain gave her a reluctant nod. “I know”, he answered and sighed in defeat, but still gave her a sharp glare. “Don't you ever mention the fucking docks again!” With these words he turned around, giving Sasha and Samantha a handwave to follow him.

“It's fine, they belong to me”, he explained to a guardsmen who stood right in front of the tavern door. The man gave him a short nod and stood attention as Samantha and Sasha walked past Captain Farris, into the inn. No... into the slaughterhouse.

From the moment she entered the taproom, she knew that Lunett had little to no chances of survival. An older man was lying on the ground, but safe for his grey hair, Samantha wasn't able to identify any remarkable features. Or any features at all. He had clearly tried to crawl away from something, as the large trial of blood behind him indicated. His killer had stabbed him in the belly, but what killed him was the blow that cleanly carved his face in half.

“What are you looking for, if I may ask?”, Farris asked. Samantha gulped as she looked from the corpse to the guardsman. “A young girl. Eighteen years old. Light brown hair. Green dress”, she explained. “The daughter of a friend”, she added and saw her worst fears confirmed as Farris' face darkened. “There is one... are you sure you want to see it?”, he asked and she gave him a nod. “I have to be sure”, she answered sullenly. Out of habit, she attempted to smile, so that he wouldn't notice the gloomy look in her eyes, but this time she failed even at a basic smirk.

Farris let out a sigh and continued his way, Samantha and Sasha following closely. He lead them up a set of stairs and through a narrow hallway. “Perhaps your girl wasn't here as it happened. Perhaps she is still alive”, Farris explained in a weak attempt at consoling her. Both knew that it was a lie.

Samantha didn't even manage to enter the room. She took a look through the door and that was enough to force her on her knees. Lunett was lying on the ground and her feet... her eyes... The dagger shoved through her chin must have been a mercy kill... Seven Hells, this was worse than a thousand faceless bodies on the fields of Tyrosh. This was her small northern farm all over again!

And before she even realized it, tears were flowing down her face. Not tears of sadness. She never cried out of sadness. Her tears indicated rage, the same rage she felt as she fought against Butterfly. Whoever did this... Samantha would make sure that they would suffer, more than Butterfly ever did. If she would ever find them... Desperately sobbing, she sat on the ground, looking at Lunett's disfigured face. She barely noticed that Captain Farris had taken respectful distance, allowing her some time alone. And Sasha was crouching next to her, apparently unsure what she should do.

“Listen... Samantha... I'm sorry...”, she mumbled and looked away as Samantha shot her an angry glare. “You're sorry...”, she hissed. “Fuck your sorry! That girl is dead and her killer walks around freely!”

“Perhaps not”, Sasha interjected. “The knights...” “Are innocent!”, Samantha finished her sentence. “They are responsible for bringing her here, but this... I don't know either of them very well, but they are knights for a reason, fucking self-righteous honourable stupid knights!”

She noticed that she had shouted the last sentence, loud enough for Captain Farris to hear it. “What are you going to do now?”, Sasha asked. “I'm going after them, they know what happened”, Samantha answered. “Flowers is brought to the Hightower. Constantine to... whatever Robett's Gate is”

“City guard outpost”, Sasha explained. “Located at the old city wall. Look... I know some shortcuts, to the Hightower and to the Gate. We can be at the Hightower before Mullendore arrives, we can be at the Gate before Jaylon arrives. If you want to get one of them out of there, you have the best chances to strike before they come close to the actual building. But you need to make a choice now. Keep in mind that Jaylon has less men with him, if things escalate”

[Go after Mullendore and Lucas] [Go after Jaylon and Leonard]

• Tough decision but [Go after Jaylon and Leonard]

Act II: Shattered and Broken Chapter II: The Iron Price Samantha Samantha had seen a lot of death in her life. The slaughtered bodi

• edited July 2015

[Go after Jaylon and Leonard] Sounds like it'll be easier to rescue him and he's in a much worse position than Lucas physically. Really tough choice.

Act II: Shattered and Broken Chapter II: The Iron Price Samantha Samantha had seen a lot of death in her life. The slaughtered bodi

• [Go after Mullendore and Lucas]

• [Go after Jaylon and Leonard] Definitely Leonard. It's not that hard of a decision when compared against Lucas. He will be much of a wreck after Lunett and not much help in the grand scheme of things in my opinion. Also I want to see Leonard meet Sasha because that'll be one hell of a chapter.

• edited July 2015

[Go after Jaylon and Leonard]] Better not to run straight into the hands of Maron.

Great start for the chapter!

e. Meant Lenny not Lucas -_-

• This could be a trap but [Go after Mullendore and Lucas]

• [Go after Mullendore and Lucas]

This one was hard. It feels like this choice will determine their fate D:

Sign in to comment in this discussion.