Can anyone help me...

Feel better about my choice of leaving Asher behind?

It was an impulse choice... one I did, without really thinking of the consequences. But once I did, I realized it was probably a lot more thematic and appropriate--and true to the character I roleplayed Rodrik as--for him to be the one who stayed. Still, I never change my choices (at least I haven't yet anyway) so I just want to hear my choice validated or justified somehow... pretty please!!? :-*(

Why could leaving Asher be the best choice?

Comments

• I love your username!!! :D

• I left Asher behind.

Let's look at the facts, Rodrik is the lord already...Having Asher who is known to not want to be the lord or in politics suddenly take over will cause issues with leadership. The Glenmores won't have a chance at a marriage...and that will be heartbreaking. Asher's army is nothing anyway so it's nothing big having him gone, not like Rodrik can't win them over.

• Isn't he banished? He cant' inherit any of his family lands so for me it makes sense to leave him behind. I think in real life Asher would have done the same thing.

• I could see the choice going either way fine, but Rodrik staying behind seems just a little more true to me based off post-choice dialogue alone. Wouldn't say letting Asher stay is the "best choice", but it's not a terrible one either. I'm sure someone could come up with a valid enough argument as to why they left Asher (though to be honest, I doubt it will be a better reason than to leave Rodrik behind). Rodrik was actually my favorite character, but after having such a central role in previous episodes, it felt like his story was up. Duncans words (my traitor) also got to me; "You're not a leader, you're a wounded solider trying to prove he's still a man". I slapped the shit out of him, but then I spared him to hear the news of the whitehill ambush. I also had promised Talia I'd kill him, but since I didn't she called me a coward. Just a completely no-win episode for Rodrik. Ashers turn to lead.

• Asher's goal was to get an army to Westeros. And while he only brought like 5 pit fighters, he still technically fulfilled his purpose. Him dying seemed appropriate, he accomplished what he set out to do. Rodrik is smarter, stronger, better connected, and has more to lose than Asher. Elaena, Elissa and Talia would be devastated if they lost Rodrik. Talia hasn't seen Asher in years so I imagine she wouldn't be that bothered by his death.

More importantly, I don't think Asher would make a good Lord. Rodrik, as the first-born, has spent his entire life learning the nuances and intricacies of being a Lord. Whereas Asher... Well...

"Asher had always been a rebellious youth – brawling in taverns, sleeping with whores, and finding ways to raise his father’s ire." - Asher's codex entry.

A lot of people have been saying Rodrik won't have the pit fighter's respect. But Beskha was there when Asher earned it, so she could explain to him how he could earn it as well. Maybe in a duel with their next best warrior. It could also depend on a few past choices like kissing Ludd's ring, standing up to Gryff and maiming Gryff.

Finally, he direct conflict with the Whitehills has hinged on Rodrik for four episodes. It just wouldn't seem right to allow Asher to finish the fight he had no direct part in. Having Rodrik kill Ludd would be a lot more satisfying.

• Thank man. This helps sort my thoughts out since I impulsively chose to leave Rodrik behind.... and just after he got to shag Elena... but at that moment my mind went blank about that and all I could think of is, Asher will live to bring devastation to the Whitehills.

Thinking back on this episode and how I played Rodrik in the previous ones, it seems like he just lost it during the end and didn't care anymore. After playing him all safe with kissing Ludd's ring and staying down in the mud and all that, when the Glenmores came I took the risk and when given the chance, my Rodrik lost his shit and mangled Gryff. Then it was all downhill, with the only good thing out of this being him getting together with Elena. But I'll just say Duncan's words got to him and he wanted to pass the torch to is younger brother, since my Rodrik seemed to failed so much lately.

I played Asher as savagely as I could so far, siding with Beska, killing the dude in the pit fight and so on so on... I want to see only blood and guts in episode 6.

almighty posted: »

I could see the choice going either way fine, but Rodrik staying behind seems just a little more true to me based off post-choice dialogue a

• You wanna feel better about your choice, lemme try to cheer ya up! Sorry it's a bit lengthy but it should make you feel better about what happened.

Rodrik has been beaten down time and time again, believed to be dead, and made lord of his falling house at his most weakest point. But Rodrik has never buckled, never wavered in his conviction to be strong for his family, his house, his people when they need him most. The Whitehills have only made this harder on him but it only strengthens his resolve to prove the Forresters are not beaten yet.

Even after another visit from the true bastard of the North, Ramsay and all the discovery of a traitor, Rodrik stood tall and cast away the cane as he rallied soldiers and his Sentinel to meet Asher and ensure they would be safe in case the traitor's words were true. With their horses ready, they rode fast for the port where Asher would be landing.

Asher, with a small army of the bloodiest fighters and his best friend Beshka arrived to the port, too quiet they noticed for a normal day. But Asher kept his worries to himself, he had brought the forces his family desperately need and would ensure no more Forrester blood would be spilled by those damned Whitehills. They turned down the main street and saw Rodrik and his forces in the main square and met them, Asher and Rodrik waving to each other.

The brothers exchanged a friendly greeting and in that moment, seeing Rodrik dressed in his armor, armed with the family sword, and scars across his face proving the hell he'd been through, Asher knew there was no better man to lead their house. He had heard of all the hardships from Malcolm and through letters and Asher had no idea how he would have reacted, but upon seeing his brother smiling to greet him, smiling... he wished he could be like him.

Before more words could be exchanged, the gate slammed shut and arrows were flying and the brothers were surrounded by Whitehill men. They ran for the crank and turned it as much as they could, it would only open just enough to roll under, but it became apparent instantly that someone would have to stay. Asher and Rodrik exchanged looks, Asher saw his brother starting to open his mouth, undoubtedly about to say something selfless and to try and sacrifice himself. That's just the kind of person he was and that's why it needed to be him.

Asher grinned and pulled his brother away with one hand and pushed him away, demanding he run. Rodrik tried to come back but a pair of arrows stopped him and Asher ordered he go. Rodrik swore and realized what his brother was trying to do and decided not to let this be the end for them both and ducked under the gate.

With his brother safe, Asher dropped the gate and drew his sword, smiling as he looked back at Rodrik one last time and grinned again. This was the best for their house, for their family, and even though she may not know it yet, for Beshka too. Asher knew he had done his part for his family and this was the final good thing he could do as the swords started swinging and the blood started spilling.

• I cried so hard when I left Asher,especially when Beshka was begging for him. I never, ever expected that a Forrester had to die. I love both Rodrik and Asher, I didn't want any of them to die. At least I made two save files. I have to find out who makes more sense.

• I've finally convinced myself leaving Asher was the "right" thing to do because Rodrick is the true Lord of House Forrester, and he has a finacee waiting for him as well. Asher is the reckless fighter type, I can see him naturally offering to stay behind while asking Beshka to take care of his brother.

• I feel a bit better about leaving Asher after the conversation on the ship with Beshka. If you pick the "They'll follow Rodrik" option, Asher will go on to say how Rodrick was born and bred to be a lord, and how every man eventually learn to love him.

• I kept Rodrik alive, but there is no "best choice". He just happens to be my favorite, has a fiance waiting for him, is the Lord of the house, etc.

• I choose to leave rodrik behind for the following reasons:

• The pit fighters already follow asher and the forrester army will also follow him, because Rodrik made him the new lord. Rodrik might have some difficulties trying to convince the pit fighters to fight for him instead. They are at the verge of war and can't waste time on such pety things
    • Rodrik hasn't fully healed yet. He still has some difficulties walking and he seemed to be very slow in the fighting scene with Asher.
      -Ramsey snow already hates Rodrik. Maybe Asher can get Ramsey on his side (I know it's a longshot).
      -Rodrik has failed his people up untill now. Maybe Asher can give their people hope again and get us out of this mess we created.
    • Lady foresster told us that asher's first instinct is to fight and that is exactly what we need right now.
    • Lady Eleana could still marry Asher.
    • Asher didn't go through all this trouble to get an army to be killed when he has just arrived in westeros.
    • Asher deserves the chance to make up for the actions that got him exiled.
    • I hate gwyn and I hope that Asher gets the chance to use her and help us get rid of the whitehills.
    • I just prefer Asher over Rodrik.
  • The current lord or lady of the house can legitimize him again on the line of succession so it's no big deal that he was exiled.

Isn't he banished? He cant' inherit any of his family lands so for me it makes sense to leave him behind. I think in real life Asher would have done the same thing.

• I thought it had to be pardoned by a King? like bastards

_DIO_ posted: »

The current lord or lady of the house can legitimize him again on the line of succession so it's no big deal that he was exiled.

• Guys like Jorah who were exiled forcrimes (more like fled but his status is exiled) have to get their crime pardonned by the king but bastards and cases like Asher only need the written authorization of their lord or liege lord at worst. Jon Snow for example was legitimized by Robb in the books before his death (Jon never heard from it tho). I don't think Asher would need to ask the Boltons since his exile seems more figurative than official, so he should be good to go !

I thought it had to be pardoned by a King? like bastards

• That actually has made me feel better :P

Thank you :)

You wanna feel better about your choice, lemme try to cheer ya up! Sorry it's a bit lengthy but it should make you feel better about what ha

• You let this face die

Alt text

• I have the same exact problem dude, it's been on my mind for the past couple of days. Without really thinking much I just left Asher behind because I felt like I couldn't let go of Rodrick, but now I feel like the Rodrick that I have built throughout the episodes would have sacrificed himself for a younger sibling, but I NEVER change my choices

• Glad to help! XD

That actually has made me feel better :P Thank you

• Don't remind me!!! :-*(

Tries not to cry... crys a lot

Poogers555 posted: »

You let this face die

• We're in the exact same boat then! :-*(

I have the same exact problem dude, it's been on my mind for the past couple of days. Without really thinking much I just left Asher behind

• Change that avatar immediately.

rachida89 posted: »

I choose to leave rodrik behind for the following reasons: * The pit fighters already follow asher and the forrester army will also fol

• edited July 2015

[I'll just copy and paste my comment from "Which Bro did you choose" thread]

My choice was made the instant I realized I'd have to do it, but it still took me forever to press the button. I was so frustrated and sad that I had to sacrifice one of them... Damn the Whitehills to hell, I'll have no mercy for anyone but Gwyn.

Anyway, I chose Asher to stay and Rodrick to survive.

I always prefered Rodrick as a character and he's fit to be a lord. Asher is an adventurer at heart, loyal to the death to his family (in my play at least, in all related dialogue choices I've always made clear who the real family was, even if it meant hurting Beskha's feelings) but I couldn't see him settling for life in Ironrath and rule, sit and listen to his Council, pass wise judgements, be a father and stable husband (to whom by the way?), be a father figure to his people.

All qualities that Rodrick possesses. And since I never did the mistake to make Rodrick humiliate himself in vain like so many players did, he is known for his strength of will and his unsoiled honour, having impressed even Gryff's henchmen as he refused to lay in the mud despite being severely beaten. He is and will continue to be an inspiration to his people and allies, and the living incarnation of the "Iron from Ice" spirit, the living proof that Forresters can never be broken no matter the scars, no matter the adversity and threats.

And then there's Eleana. Their beautiful story deserves a marriage and children. She already lost her brother, I'd be damned if she lost her beloved one on top of that.

Don't doubt an instant that Asher's death broke my heart. I was so angry I can't believe my gamepad didn't snap under my grip. But at least I gave this damn handsome devil a fight to the end and kept trying to slash, hack and stab these fucking Whitehill pigs long after no attack options were available. A poor consolation, but know that you will be avenged brother. Rivers of Whitehill blood will flow to honour your noble sacrifice.

• No, the picture helps me remember the choice I had to make. That way I feel no guilt when I destroy the whitehills.

Change that avatar immediately.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.