Do you trust your Sentinel?

The traitor to my house was Ser Royland. I was both surprised and intensely pained by the revelation because, even though I didn't choose him to be my sentinel, we agreed more often that not. I came to respect, like and trust him over the course of the first five episodes. I felt like TT stuck a jagged piece of safety glass through my heart when Ser Royland was exposed and so executed him immediately. I was willing to wash my hands of the matter of treason until I found out...

The traitor was determinant!

What was the thing that determined the treason? Whether or not you chose the other guy to be your sentinel! I realized that if I had chosen Royland from the start that Duncan would have betrayed my house.

Duncan!

My fookin' Sentinel!

I realized that if a man who was trusted by my family, raised up from a lowly pig farmer to Castellan of Ironrath, could betray my house over being refused the privilege of a shiny glove, how long would it be until the shiny glove was no longer enough for him?

How could I ever trust the man again knowing he could betray my family over something so petty?

I suspect I'm going to be watching him quite carefully for the remainder of the season. I no longer trust him.

Are any of you having the same problem trusting your Sentinel?

Comments

• edited July 2015

Yes. I do trust my sentinel.

• Nope. Royland is completely loyal to me, 100%. Fuck Duncan.

• Ser Royland is my man, won't fail me.

• In my first gamethough before it got glitched deleted, I had Royland and looking back I noticed stuff. I realized he was more hostile towards me because I always did "nicer" choices. I thought it was weird when I tried to do the sword trick and it failed. From that moemnt on I though Royland was the traitor. In my new playthough I picked him again and did meaner choices. This time I did the sword trick. I think the traitor goes based off your own choices.

Aggressive sentinel+ aggressive choices= aggressive sentinel not being the traitor

Aggresive sentinel + nice choices = nice "traitor" but actually means aggressive hidden traitor.

Malcolm says "Its choices that make us who we are." I think its true even if you don't have the bracer of office.

• edited July 2015

No, I don't, not at all, reason being this : https://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/comment/2083047#Comment_2083047

I explain it better in that thread, but I'll summarize here, your chosen sentinel acts way too suspiciously at the end. Giving you ominous glances, and then there's the fact that the Whitehill soldier closes the gate JUST as soon as your sentinel walks safely out.

• Are you saing that both are traitors and both working for the Whitehills or just whoever you picked is?

FishySticks posted: »

No, I don't, not at all, reason being this : https://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/comment/2083047#Comment_2083047 I explain

• edited July 2015

Both are traitors, the sentinel and the one who wasn't picked.

The traitor we find in EP5 , the one who wasn't picked as sentinel, does it because he thinks he's doing what's best for the house. In a twisted way, he was still faithful to the House.

I have a feeling, however, that the chosen sentinel will turn on us out of greed.

So it'll be sort of a plot twist, the chosen sentinel will end up being the real traitor to the house,betraying us out of greed.

Are you saing that both are traitors and both working for the Whitehills or just whoever you picked is?

• edited July 2015

That would be interesting. Now i feel bad because i killed duncan.. but there has to be a reason why maester is just "not" in episode 5

Both are traitors, the sentinel and the one who wasn't picked. The traitor we find in EP5 , the one who wasn't picked as sentinel, does i

• Since the traitor is whoever we do not choose as Sentinel, then logically both Duncan and Royland are not to be trusted.

I'd be surprised if by the final episode the one we choose to be Sentinel continues to stay loyal, because it would mean that the family never gets to find out just how easily they would sell out their house over a title.

• Royland is 100% loyal to me and I trust him. So he's probably a traitor because plot twist

• edited July 2015

Nope, I don‘t trust him because he is the one who would have betrayed me if I hadn't gave him the bracelet.

• Yeah, I trust Royland. He's cool.

• Royland's got my back. I trust him at 100%

I also noticed that he evolved quite a bit throughout the season. He seems less hot-blooded and much more collected. He still values military actions but it's like he thinks them through and applies them more wisely. Duncan on the other hand stayed a wuss from start to finish. Does he have a similar little evolution if he's your sentinel ?

• I agree with this wholeheartedly. Did you have Duncan executed? I did...

_DIO_ posted: »

Royland's got my back. I trust him at 100% I also noticed that he evolved quite a bit throughout the season. He seems less hot-blooded a

• I noticed Talia wanted Duncan but as time went on she seems to favor Royland.

Royland's got my back. I trust him at 100% I also noticed that he evolved quite a bit throughout the season. He seems less hot-blooded a

• Definitely. I feared for Asher but I just couldn't let this one pass. I also suspected TT given their tendency to force you to stick with your opinion at a decided moment whatever happens, possibly forcing me to reconcile with the traitor at some time or another if I spared him for the time being.

I was pretty pissed that while Duncan gave me shit for not submitting to small fries like the Whitehill, I couldn't remind him that for some reason he opened the gates to Ramsay's man causing Ramsay to kill Ethan with impunity. The worst was that my Ethan listened to Duncan's advice about diplomacy...

Hotsam posted: »

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Did you have Duncan executed? I did...

• of course I trust him

Killah posted: »

Yes. I do trust my sentinel.

• Glove?

Shaboomm posted: »

Nope, I don‘t trust him because he is the one who would have betrayed me if I hadn't gave him the bracelet.

• Part of her development as well. At the beginning she was pretty much a normal teen, favouring what had always worked out for the House in the time of peace, but she realized that things weren't working out this way and it is necessary to man up or the Whitehills will always bully and disregard them. Her thirst for blood is getting a little worrying tho.

I noticed Talia wanted Duncan but as time went on she seems to favor Royland.

• I meant the bracelet xD

shayan80 posted: »

Glove?

• With my life. I mean... Rodrik's life...

• edited July 2015

Oddly enough, despite making Royland Sentinal, I chose to follow Duncan's advice and submitted to the Whitehills at every opportunity (for Ryon's sake). I wanted Royland by my side as I thought his military input served me well. Being cool-headed myself, I had no need for two and that is why I didn't make Duncan my Sentinal.

After all this, Duncan was blabbing like a madman because he could not fault me with anything. (remember I followed his advice). Ultimately I made an example by executing him.

Definitely. I feared for Asher but I just couldn't let this one pass. I also suspected TT given their tendency to force you to stick with yo

• Lol what kind of blabbing was it ?

Hotsam posted: »

Oddly enough, despite making Royland Sentinal, I chose to follow Duncan's advice and submitted to the Whitehills at every opportunity (for R

• FishySticks:I'm glad to know I'm not being unnecessarily paranoid. I never noticed Duncan giving me that odd glance because I was caught up in the moment. Now I'm going to have to avoid putting him in a position to hurt me, if the game gives me that option. Knowing Telltale, if Duncan is going to stab me in the back, there's probably nothing I can do to avoid it until he actually makes his move.

No, I don't, not at all, reason being this : https://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/comment/2083047#Comment_2083047 I explain

• edited July 2015

I went with Duncan as my Sentinel but started to favor Royland as well. I think it's because Gryff was driving me into a psychotic rage and Royland was the only person enabling my violent behavior. Honestly, I'll never under his reasons for backstabbing me. I did damn near everything he suggested. ;)

Part of her development as well. At the beginning she was pretty much a normal teen, favouring what had always worked out for the House in t

• Did sentinel Duncan change a bit, similarly to my Royland as sentinel?

I went with Duncan as my Sentinel but started to favor Royland as well. I think it's because Gryff was driving me into a psychotic rage and

• edited July 2015

Not that I noticed. He's been pretty passive all around. To be honest, compared to Royland he's just kind of faded into the woodwork.

Did sentinel Duncan change a bit, similarly to my Royland as sentinel?

• To be honest I never saw the guy as outstanding as he was described to be. Never cared for him so I wondered if it had to do with the sentinel choice. Oh well...

Not that I noticed. He's been pretty passive all around. To be honest, compared to Royland he's just kind of faded into the woodwork.

• Oh gosh my traitor was Duncan, dammit Duncan you were an icon for all lowborn, now you've set back lowborn human rights for generations! you know how the high born are!

• edited July 2015

Yes I trust Duncan yet I expect he will die anyways in the finale.

• AnfarwolAnfarwol Banned
    edited July 2015

Good gosh theres like potentially four determinate characters in one area (not including Finn): Rodrick/Asher + Sentinal +/- Bloodude +/- Traitor

Yes I trust Duncan yet I expect he will die anyways in the finale.

• To be honest it was mainly claiming to have best interests of the House at heart without having any points to back that up. He appeared to only be aggressive (panicking?). I watched altervative footage on YouTube of Duncan faulting Rodrick with the advice he offered if not followed.

Also I took Duncan to Highpoint when I suspected him of being a traitor (keep your enemies close). And trusted Royland to hold Ironrath.

Lol what kind of blabbing was it ?

Sign in to comment in this discussion.