Brazilian fans

Hello! My name is Elton, and I'm from Brazil.
I'm a big fan of every game of Telltale. Really feel love for these games and I can only thank.
My intention with this discussion is to talk about attention in Brazil. Telltale, believe, many here love their job.
We hope you to put subtitles in Portuguese in their games. That we would even happier. Here in Brazil games that have subtitles in our language sell considerably more. I would love for Brazilian fans to increase more. Before there were websites that translate their games and facilitated many to play. But these sites are not more efficient, and we were very disappointed not to have a better gaming possible.
There is no chance of you may add subtitles in Portuguese in your games?

Off topic: Game of Thrones have Spanish subtitles ?

Comments

• I agree that Telltale's games should be introduced to more languages. I hope this works out for you Brazillians as your consumer base for a lot of products has grown over the years.

• edited July 2015

Game of Thrones is so popular over the world that translations are really worth it. And Telltale should treat it like a momentum to be created.

I'm sure in France an official release of subtitles accompanied with decent advertising when GOT is the hype again (like during broadcast of TV show's next season) would draw a lot of people to this game and give a whole new public to Telltale games. GOT has a huge viewerbase here, but people who don't need subtitles to understand english language material are very rare.

This is not true in northern European countries (Netherlands, Scandinavia), but in Italy, France and Spain general lack of decent english skills is not overrated.

• BR Hue.

Piadas à parte, aqui no meu PS3, The Walking Dead Season 2 recebeu uma atualização, e com essa atualização, o jogo automaticamente ficou todo em português. Talvez seja um sinal ?

• Telltale has a brazilian fanbase? Really?

• Does it truly increase the sales this much? Brazilians, in general, tend to have a second or third language (and English is, traditionally, one of them). I don’t know if TT would have much to gain by adding Portuguese subtitles, other languages would give a better return.

Don’t understand me wrong. An efficient translation for the subtitles would be appreciated, but it doesn’t seem necessary.

• Hum… legal. Mas isso é reversível? Seria uma droga só ter a opção de jogar com as legendas em português e correr o risco de ficar com uma tradução ruim sem poder voltar para o original.

BR Hue. Piadas à parte, aqui no meu PS3, The Walking Dead Season 2 recebeu uma atualização, e com essa atualização, o jogo automaticamente ficou todo em português. Talvez seja um sinal ?

• edited July 2015

Everything has a Brazilian fan base and we are, basically, everywhere. :P

FishySticks posted: »

Telltale has a brazilian fanbase? Really?

• Não vi, mas creio que não

TMLC posted: »

Hum… legal. Mas isso é reversível? Seria uma droga só ter a opção de jogar com as legendas em português e correr o risco de ficar com uma tradução ruim sem poder voltar para o original.

• Pô, aí é uma droga. Eu detesto quando essas coisas vêm forçadas assim.

Não vi, mas creio que não

• Lol that's not true, second or third language.

Does it truly increase the sales this much? Brazilians, in general, tend to have a second or third language (and English is, traditionally,

• changing your console region to that of the US usually works around that

Pô, aí é uma droga. Eu detesto quando essas coisas vêm forçadas assim.

• As I see it here in Brazil many still do not know an advanced English. Games like the Telltale are composed with moral choices , and about it is very important to know every sentence , every feeling last .
    From what I've been seeing games that have added our language won an increase in sales, is not something explosive, but it is something that draws attention of players. This increases the interest and hence sales. The will to seek to play is higher.

• Well, as far as I’m aware, it is ("third" was an exaggeration, but English is common). At least for the parts of the population that consume games at a amount to be considered by a company like TT.

Also, we have this idea that we need to learn other counties languages and they doesn’t need to learn ours.

FishySticks posted: »

Lol that's not true, second or third language.

• There are not many Brazilians that are fluent in English, or even that are familiar enough with it to enjoy a heavily story-based game fully if it is in English. Basic English? Sure, but that's not enough for a game like this.

Despite the price of video games around here, they are still stupidly more common than people that speak English fluently. A TellTale game based on a popular franchise and released on multiple platforms is bound to attract the attention of Brazilians that can barely get around with their basic English skills.

Now, Brazilians that, "in general", have a second or third language? I will go out on a limb and assume you live in a wealthy neighborhood on a big city. As someone that grew up on a small town in the country, I can assure you that that's not the case at all.

Does it truly increase the sales this much? Brazilians, in general, tend to have a second or third language (and English is, traditionally,

• Eltonsm20 posted: »

As I see it here in Brazil many still do not know an advanced English. Games like the Telltale are composed with moral choices , and about i

• Welp, Portuguese counts?

• I have to agree with you here. I am not Brazilian myself but lived in São Paulo for a little over a year with my wife (Brazilian) and there were overall very few people that I met during that time that actually knew anything more than basic sentences or words. As far as I know English is being taught in schools but my wife first got fluent when she went to Europe to study. I understood quite quickly that I wouldn't be able to get around on my own in the city with only speaking my native tongue or English so I took private lessons in Portuguese - loved it, by the way.

Obviously it depends on where in the country you are; I think people in SP are more likely to speak a second language than someone from the North for instance, but even there it was not common to meet everyday people who spoke good English. But those are just my experiences.

Therefore I also believe it should be warranted to include multi-language subs, Portuguese among them. Brazil is a huge market, though could be in a better shape.

Abeille posted: »

There are not many Brazilians that are fluent in English, or even that are familiar enough with it to enjoy a heavily story-based game fully

• edited July 2015

eu sei bastante ingles, mas como sou portugues a minha tradução e diferente da vossa e algumas palavras podem ser diferentes. mas se quiseres traduzir estou aqui para ajudar.
    Claro que ouvir o jogo na sua lingua natal e sempre melhor, DUBLAGEM é Crime.

• edited July 2015

Baby's first words:

In America: Mom

In England: Mum

In Spain: Mama

In Brazil: Please come to Brazil

Everything has a Brazilian fan base and we are, basically, everywhere. :P

• I beg to differ. I believe that a basic English knowledge is enough for this kind of game. Maybe TWD would require something more, but the ability to pause the game gives you time to carefully read your options and, in this case, slow readers and people with a minimum knowledge can find their way.

And no, I’m not from a wealthy area, but not from a poor neither. But, in any case, as I explained, the “third language” was an exaggeration and the “in general” is referred to people that buy games.

The main consumers of video games here are still the A and B “classes”, with an increase on the C “class” numbers in the recent years. And people from the first two usually know some English, at least.

There are not many Brazilians that are fluent in English, or even that are familiar enough with it to enjoy a heavily story-based game fully

• edited July 2015

Yeah, the region is certainly a factor. Also, the age group of the person with whom you are speaking to is relevant.

And, as you said, Brazil is a huge market and should be considered for a multi-language subs. But if we think technically about it, languages like Spanish would come first in a priority list for TT.

Maecenas posted: »

I have to agree with you here. I am not Brazilian myself but lived in São Paulo for a little over a year with my wife (Brazilian) and there

• HAHAHAHAHAH true

Flog61 posted: »

Baby's first words: In America: Mom In England: Mum In Spain: Mama In Brazil: Please come to Brazil

• edited July 2015

We must have very different ideas of what a basic English knowledge is. There's no way you could enjoy this game with only basic skills.

And I don't know on what machine you play the game, but on xbox there is no such thing as being able to pause and read, it goes to a black-screened "pause menu" from where you can resume game, change settings, go the main menu, etc...

I doubt it's different on PC or PS. I think you must have dreamt it.

Anyway even native english speakers are stressed when things go too fast and they have to decide quickly. No way someone who is not fluent in english isn't going to be extremely confused and frustrated when he has to make a quick choice after having lost considerable thinking time just to understand the sentences, if he understands them at all.

I beg to differ. I believe that a basic English knowledge is enough for this kind of game. Maybe TWD would require something more, but the a

• I play it on PC and you can press the spacebar to pause the game. I don’t remember if it was possible in TWAU, but it was included in the later games. You can press “esc” to go for the menu or space to pause the game.

I’m far from a native, or even fluent, English speaker, but I find no real problem with the game. The quick choices were a problem in TWD, but this was solved for me with the pause option.

And, personally, I don’t care if you doubt me and I don’t see a reason for the tone of your answer. You can an go search for the facts, then. I will no longer bother with you anymore.

We must have very different ideas of what a basic English knowledge is. There's no way you could enjoy this game with only basic skills.

• edited July 2015

Calm down, you proved me wrong about the pause, let me apologize and get over it. I'm sorry I had this one sarcastic remark out of disbelief, but hey, I was never insulting. "the tone of my answer", I think you're overreacting a little bit. Have this piece of Brazilian folk music to help you relax.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD7iL7fHFMo

Still if one has to pause every other interaction, it's ruining the game.

You're either underrating your own english skills or overrating those of a huge lot of your population. Look at your comments, I'm thinking of people who unlike you couldn't communicate in english with such correct grammar and a rich vocabulary. You clearly have more than basic english skills, and it places you in the top-tier of your country. I know in France I'm in the top-tier (or not far from it), like you if someone asked me, I wouldn't dare stating my english is fluent, but when compared to the average guy here, it's really good. I've met french high school english teachers with poorer english than me.

I play it on PC and you can press the spacebar to pause the game. I don’t remember if it was possible in TWAU, but it was included in the la

• Sorry for easily getting angered. I probably have been for too long on the internet talking to the worst kind of people and I’m starting to have little patience for when a person enters a conversation with an aggressive or condescending attitude.

So… I accept you apologies (but will have to ignore the video, that’s not exactly my kind of music :P) and ask you to accept mine too. As you said, I may have “overreacting a little bit” and, in fact, transferred some of the frustration from another conversation with other people (and that’s not ok).

Now, moving on.

Yes, I agree that the pauses can ruin the game. But, in reality, that’s more a problem related to the time factor added to the game by TT choice. Even if the game is in your native language (English, Portuguese, Spanish, German,…), the time given to: read the options, understand what it means (how it will make your character react), make your decision, and click it; can be too short. And if you are a slow reader, it gets even worst.

About the “english skills”. I’m calling “basic” the ability to read a text and understand it (basic interpretation skills that you learn at a non-public school). I know that this is above the national average, but, at the same time, the majority of the population that is part of the “video game consumers” portion is also the part that has access to linguistic education (at least at this level that I’m referring as basic).

As I said at a previous post, “the main consumers of video games here are still the A and B ‘classes’, with an increase on the C ‘class’ numbers in the recent years”. This represents a small portion of the population and, also, the ones with most access to this kind of education.

In relation to what you said about my English skills, thanks. That’s mostly because, as my friends would say, I talk with “big words” (Portuguese or English). I end up making it difficult to myself, but it is the only way I know how to talk. And with time to write a message and the Microsoft Word to give me support I do seem to have more skill than they really have. It is above a “basic” level of skill and I recognize that, but it does not invalidate the argument that most of the population that has access to these games also have access to a basic reading skill for a second language (that is, usually, English).

Calm down, you proved me wrong about the pause, let me apologize and get over it. I'm sorry I had this one sarcastic remark out of disbelief

• Verdade. The Last of Us, Uncharted e Fifa receberam dublagem e venderam MUITO. Caso fizessem um marketing decente, como de muitos outros jogos traduzidos, e utilizassem as marcas The Walking Dead e Game of Thrones para atrair o público, venderia muito. Mas, fazer o quê. Algumas empresas simplesmente não enxergam o Brasil como um dos maiores consumidores mundiais de games, o que na verdade é uma mentira enorme. A pirataria que é a maior causa da precaução com o nosso mercado... Mas em jogos digitas como os da Telltale não teriam esse problema, imagino eu.
    Nintendo já desistiu do Brasil, caso queira algo dela terá de comprar em outro país. :/

Oh well, I studied english all my life, so I don't have many issues with the games. But it would certainly increase the sales of Telltale Games in Brazil. If the advertising be good enough.... Even though I can't fully speak english, cuz I've never lived outside my country, I can easily comunicate with "outsiders" here, as I did so many times.

• Well, is not every brazilian who likes this horribles "songs" HAUhAUhUAhuhauHAuhAU

Calm down, you proved me wrong about the pause, let me apologize and get over it. I'm sorry I had this one sarcastic remark out of disbelief

• edited July 2015

Agreed.

Let me try to fix this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hr7Uqu6G80

Well, is not every brazilian who likes this horribles "songs" HAUhAUhUAhuhauHAuhAU

• A great fix! :D

Agreed. Let me try to fix this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hr7Uqu6G80

• I'm not exactly a fan of voiceovers. Even if I don’t understand the language of a movie, for example, I prefer to stay only with the subtitles and enjoy the original acting. But I know a lot of people that prefer voiceovers. I just hope that if the TT ever comes to make a play in Portuguese, which is hired a good team for it.

The quality of this kind of thing dropped a lot in the recent years.

But, in a different subject, is the piracy really the reason? I think it is more of an excuse.

Verdade. The Last of Us, Uncharted e Fifa receberam dublagem e venderam MUITO. Caso fizessem um marketing decente, como de muitos outros jog

• Hell yeah!

Agreed. Let me try to fix this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hr7Uqu6G80

• I agree. Also enjoy the original audio in any type of experience. But, the subtitles alone would be amazing of Telltale to do. For dubbing these games of Telltale, they have to make an amazing work. Otherwise, is not worth it.

I found The Last of Us amazing in portuguese... But the engilsh voice actors are good as well.

About the piracy, yeah, it's definitely one of the main reasons why foreigners companys is "giving up" on Brazil. But, it's not all the reasons. The import price on the products is also one the reasons, Nintento speak that for themselves.

Anyway, any company can make that excuse. I never buy any game illegal... But I do download series at pirate bay. No one is perfect I guess

I'm not exactly a fan of voiceovers. Even if I don’t understand the language of a movie, for example, I prefer to stay only with the subtitl

• I met a Facebook page they are doing translations games like Life is Strange and games from Telltale . The page is new , so they kindly ask for a disclosure. They begin to make the translation of the fourth episode of Telltale GoT when they arrive at 1000 tanned . If you can help , here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/garotahacker

Sign in to comment in this discussion.