two ways to solve a puzzle in chapter 1

hey. I just played launch of the screaming narwhal again and figured out that the marquis cries out diferently on the correct eyes/nose/mouth.. The first time around i just used the weather vane so guybrush pointed it to the sky and looked really closely for the face that showed up and it worked..

really nice

Comments

• edited October 2009
    hey. I just played launch of the screaming narwhal again and figured out that the marquis cries out diferently on the correct eyes/nose/mouth.. The first time around i just used the weather vane so guybrush pointed it to the sky and looked really closely for the face that showed up and it worked..

really nice

I think I tried using the weather vane but it didn't work. The marquis "cries" are the normal way to solve the puzzle.
  • edited October 2009
    I solved that puzzle with the weather vane also. :D
    The face from the weather vane when pointing it to the sky was exactly the same.
    Maybe I was lucky.
    Dind't knew anything about the marquis "cries". :D
  • edited October 2009
    The marquis makes noises?

I just looked at the weather vane. Wasn't that the puzzle?
  • edited October 2009
    Fury wrote: »

:eek:

Is that the cries or the faces he makes?
  • edited October 2009
    I just looked at the weather vane too. I thought there would be another way to solve it though. Just looking at the weather vane just didn't feel right. I'm glad you posted this because that was something that was bugging me.
  • edited October 2009
    Juanique99 wrote: »
    I think I tried using the weather vane but it didn't work. The marquis "cries" are the normal way to solve the puzzle.

Yeah, I think you're right.
    owever, with him in there, it is impossible to use the weather vane to align the faces correctly. Guybrush will have to seek his clues from another source. Start adjusting the facial features. The marquis will cry out in pain with each adjustment, except for a certain one on each facial feature, where he'll moan softly.

this is from the walkthru
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2009
    I used the weather vane the first time around and had no idea you could do it by listening to the noises the Marquis makes.

On the second play through I'd heard about the "noises" method. It's odd - once you're listening for it, it's really obvious! When you get it in the right position he sounds very... erm... "happy". :p
  • edited October 2009
    Haha. I used the weather vane myself, and never figured this out. I went to the place in Flotsam where there's a close-up of Guybrush, and would pause the game to try to capture the fourth weather vane. I drew the correct answer and did it.

Good to know there's a real solution, since it bugged me endlessly.
  • edited October 2009
    As I recall, just looking at the weather vane in my inventory was all it took. I noticed the different sounds the Marquis made, but I thought they were different at random. I didn't notice the "sigh" was during the correct solution.
  • edited October 2009
    Fury wrote: »

I'm surprised that the weather vane _could_ be used to solve this puzzle! *lol*
  • edited October 2009
    You just hold it up and it shows the fourth face lol.
  • edited October 2009
    Mermaid wrote: »
    I'm surprised that the weather vane _could_ be used to solve this puzzle! *lol*

Agreed! Although it shows consistency in the design ...

Actually, I never entirely figured out why the marquis was so happy when the dials were in the right position. I guess it's because I don't know their internal workings ... probably best that way, on second thought ...
  • edited October 2009
    yeah its like rubik's cube or people with accents, you're just not meant to understand them.
  • edited October 2009
    It's not all that strange, remember in SoMI, you could either follow the shopkeeper to the swordmasters house, or just find your way there yourself.
  • edited October 2009
    I'd already figured out what all the faces needed to be as soon as I started the puzzle. I used the weather vane with the sky and wrote down the two faces and the first one I used the weather vane on showed me two other faces so I wrote those down.

I write everything down though, things that look important anyway.

Of course the other way to solve it is to go through all 64 possible combinations of each podium until you get the right one.

There's lots of ways to solve it! :)
  • edited October 2009
    I Think i'm the only one who solved it entirely different. I didn't know what to do, so looked at the weather vane, but couldn't really make out what was showing, so i just looked at the "Weird looking idol" and chose the 3 weirdest eyes, nose and mouth and it worked. the three eyes, the duck nose/mouth and the waving mouth. One weird looking idol indeed :D
  • edited October 2009
    I did it by the weather vane. I thought the Marquis' cries were random.
  • edited October 2009
    lol unlike most ppl on here i did it by the noises. he maes a ohh ahhh sounds when they are right and a AGHHH! OWWW! SOUNDS WHEN WRONG.strange that not many other ppl saw it
  • edited October 2009
    Zhadnost wrote: »
    It's not all that strange, remember in SoMI, you could either follow the shopkeeper to the swordmasters house, or just find your way there yourself.

Right, or on Monkey Island. either use the lens from the spyglass with the sun to inflame the gunpowder OR use the cannonball with the flintstone.
  • edited June 2011
    So, let me get this straight. I don't need the weather vane is solve the Idols puzzle??
  • edited June 2011
    khgamer wrote: »
    So, let me get this straight. I don't need the weather vane is solve the Idols puzzle??

Did you honestly revive a 2 year old thread for that?
  • edited June 2011
    No, actually khgamer didn't do that. April fools!
  • edited June 2011
    Alex IDV wrote: »
    No, actually khgamer didn't do that. April fools!

har de har har.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.