Why didn't Rodrik get to pick his own sentinel..?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I don't recall Rodrik having the ability to pick his own sentinel, just as Ethan did when Lord Forrester died. Wouldn't that make sense?

Comments

• edited August 2015

No explanation for it.

If I had to guess, it might have something to do with house stability or respecting Ethan's decision. But like I said, just a guess.

• Well, I'm pretty sure that if there was the ability to do so. That most people would choose the same as they did the first time, with Ethan.

• Gameplay wise, it would be useless, story wise, it is implied that Rodrik respects Ethan's decision.

• edited August 2015

Because no one cares it's just a shiny glove with ABSOLUTELY no real political power.

It's not as if someone would betray you for it, right?

…Right?

• Gameplay wise, it means that Ethan's choices still affect the story. Story wise, Ethan was still the lord of his house before his elder brother return and Rodrik must have kept his brother's chosen sentinel in order to honor his decision. Besides, I think it is unwise to cause friction in the small council by taking away Royland's/Duncan's sentinel position and in the midst of the Forrester's extremely vulnerable situation, Rodrik simply did not have the time and have bigger issues to attend to.

• I brought this up a while ago, and yeah it doesn't make much sense. I kind of wanted Royland as my Sentinel for the initial Ramsay meeting, but wanted to switch to Duncan afterward when Rodrik showed up. I continued to agree with Duncan on literally everything as Rodrik, yet he still ended up the traitor. It would have been nice to pick again.

• I wonder if we'll get to pick a sentinel as Asher.

• The sentinel doesn't get replaced until he dies

Ethan chose a new sentimel because Lord Forrester's sentinel died at the twins

• Stupidest thing ever, I asked the same thing... If I remember correctly the maester said EVERY lord should choose a new sentinel, um except Rodrik I guess..

• Pssh cuz Ethan warged into Rodrik when he died and the game is self aware

• So it can honour Ethan.

• Because that would allow you to change your choice and you are the same player and I think they belive that your opinion about Dunca/Royland wouldn't change between episodes.

• Yeah but for the sake of being consistent with what the maester said (every lord must choose a sentinel), it makes sense. Even if Rodrik was respecting Ethan's decision, it should not have been implied and there should've been a prompt. Same thing should happen if Asher is made Lord (or even potentially Ryon).

Because that would allow you to change your choice and you are the same player and I think they belive that your opinion about Dunca/Royland wouldn't change between episodes.

• That doesn't change my point: you are the same player maybe it even happened of screen.

TheBlackSun posted: »

Yeah but for the sake of being consistent with what the maester said (every lord must choose a sentinel), it makes sense. Even if Rodrik was

• I wish that was a choice actually.
    It would probably be better in ep. 2 to rename your sentinel or keep the same one. I bet it would leave a better impact than Rodrik's betrothal to Elaena.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.