Has Game of Thrones ruined or been ruined for you by other Media's worlds?

This is going to be hard to explain so ill put it as simply as possible.

"Twenty men OMG WE CAN SAVE OUR HOUSE WITH THAT" sounds weird when you're used to wars with thousands and millions.

Comments

• ..or, like, by the many wars in the actual world?

• edited August 2015

It's easier to look at like this. The Northern army was comprise of the Stark's bannermen's armies and the bannermen's bannermen's smaller armies. it all equals to roughly 6,000 to 10,000 men. It's more likely that the Forresters had around two hundred men-at-arms. Most of which was slain at the Twins and the rest which apparently deserted (even though there's no logical reason for them to desert).

• History books and news programs are media.

Flog61 posted: »

..or, like, by the many wars in the actual world?

• Not really. Big armies weren't common in the medieval eras. I actually find it refreshing to see a conflict settled by reasonable numbers of men.

• I wouldn't say it ruined anything, because it's not canon with the books. It's like an expansion that never really happened. Like George said, the books are the books and the show is the show, and I don't think it particularly ruined anything even if it is kinda stupid that they're trying to take Highpoint with like 10-20 pit fighters and... how many men-at-arms? The Whitehills should have much more.

Anyway, I don't think they're of the same quality, but they're not the same media so it's an apples and oranges kind of comparison.

• There not large houses, the armies are not going to be very good

Is life is strange ruined for you after numerous other stories about time rewinding

• It's ruined me on hoping any fanship is safe.

There not large houses, the armies are not going to be very good Is life is strange ruined for you after numerous other stories about time rewinding

• By big armies I'm assuming you mean like 500,000.

Not really. Big armies weren't common in the medieval eras. I actually find it refreshing to see a conflict settled by reasonable numbers of men.

• What does that even mean?

CapnJay posted: »

It's ruined me on hoping any fanship is safe.

• The Northern army had 20,000 men before the Green Fork?

Kireilt posted: »

It's easier to look at like this. The Northern army was comprise of the Stark's bannermen's armies and the bannermen's bannermen's smaller a

• An army of 500,000 in the medieval era? Holy fuck. That's a big army even by todays standards. A big army in the medieval eras would be like 300-2000 people. Robb's 20,000 men were more than most medieval armies ever assembled. There have been armies with more but those were really uncommon and only took part in huge events (i.e crusades)

Brodester08 posted: »

By big armies I'm assuming you mean like 500,000.

• Oh you know watching cloe get shot in the head by mr. jefferson in the most recent episode as well as euthanizing her in an alternate universe.

What does that even mean?

• Actually what ruined it for me was Asher coming with less than 10 pit fighters and calling it an army.

• more like six considering the ambush.

KronusX posted: »

Actually what ruined it for me was Asher coming with less than 10 pit fighters and calling it an army.

• still, media or not, I doubt they considered that an army back then . Imagine if we rewind the scene with Ser Davos pleading the case to the Iron Bank in order to hire an army and then a few episodes later we noticed him attacking King Landing with 20 men. I can guarantee you viewers would have said ''WTF?'' along with house Lannister wondering what was that.

more like six considering the ambush.

• But those worlds don't belong to the media, they're the real world. Westessos is the Game of Thrones world, but the Earth isn't, say, the New York Times' world. In fictions case, the media comes first, in the real worlds case, the world does.

History books and news programs are media.

• Oh, you mean fanships....

Not that its even a fanship, the game has shown them as an option in game, shipping as a whole is meannt to revolve around shipping people who have never been romantic in the series/book/movie but people think it could work, but people just misuse it for any romantic thing. But really "fanship" even says it should just be a fan theory; your profile pick shows thats not the case

• ARGH!!! Spoilers come on!!!

• Nope, I meant what @LordGoss1138 said. Armies of +300 men. I've never liked Game of Thrones' unusual numbers. Some houses have thousands at their disposal which is more men than most medieval Europeans ever saw in their lifetime and there are cites with 500,000 people (like King's Landing) which is the like the population of entire medieval nations!

Seeing a house that actually has the forces of a real life medieval house has actually been a really enjoyable change of pace. At least when it stays by those rules, I didn't like that Ludd just had twenty men lying around to install as a garrison in Ironrath, in medieval Europe those twenty men would have been Ludd's whole army.

By big armies I'm assuming you mean like 500,000.

• edited August 2015

The size of that "army" is ridiculously small even for Westerosi standards. It doesn't follow the norm of its own canon universe, and that's the problem with it. Therefore, the answer is "no".

• edited August 2015

Usually when somebody like Robb Stark or Tywin Lannister raises an army, It's made up of a bunch of armies ranging from about 200-4,000 men from their bannermen. Also, Game of Thrones is a fictional show set in an alternate universe so it doesn't have to be 100% historically accurate.

Nope, I meant what @LordGoss1138 said. Armies of +300 men. I've never liked Game of Thrones' unusual numbers. Some houses have thousands at

• I'm aware of how medieval armies work. It doesn't have to be 100% accurate, no. However, it tries to be pretty realistic. A bannerman just being able to show up with a thousand (or more) of his own personal soldiers and then summoning his banner men with their soldiers really leaves a lot to be desired where numbers are involved. Medieval lords didn't have those types of numbers because it wasn't possible, the logistics would be a nightmare and their economy couldn't support the population needed for them. Realistically it'd be like:

Robb with his three hundred personal men > His bannermen with their one hundred men > Their bannermen with their 10-50 men.

I didn't mind that Robb and Tywin had their massive armies (after all, the War of Five Kings wasn't a small event) because Westeros is bigger than Europe (it's South America sized, if I recall) and could hold a larger population but I didn't like how the numbers were divided amongst the lords, with one lord having 4000 men and another having 4. Though I assume GRRM did it that way to make it more accessible to people that aren't familiar with medieval warfare, which makes sense that he'd use numbers they're more familiar with. People might think "what the hell?" If Robb marched south with 5000 men total, or Stannis sieged King's Landing with 500 men against it's 400 defenders, or if the Ironborn attacked the entire North with 1000 men, etc.

Usually when somebody like Robb Stark or Tywin Lannister raises an army, It's made up of a bunch of armies ranging from about 200-4,000 men

Sign in to comment in this discussion.