Character Name Meanings

I think Telltale search up the meanings of names before they name a character because most of the names have meanings that are similar to the character.
So, I found a website that basically tells you the personality of the person and it is scarily accurate.

Gared: “You think deeply and clearly, have an air of mystery, can be solitary and secretive. Position and social status is very important for you and you are always looking for way to improve your position in society. You have passion for justice and belong to the position of authority. You have an inherent courage and endurance to accomplish "The Impossible Dream". With the power comes responsibility. You hold keys to the material world, but with this gift comes high spiritual responsibility to be fair and true to others.”

Definitely that last part with ‘The Impossible Dream’ relates to the North Grove.

Asher: “Powerful and complete. You are good intellectually and require several outlets for your energies. You are not a builder but a planner, and you want others to carry out your plans. You are bold and independent. You have a great sense of responsibility and duty. You know what you want and why you want it.”

It seems a little too accurate to be a random name.

Mira: “You have a receptive nature and may bear burdens for others. You are pragmatic, thorough, strong-willed, practical and stubborn at times. You are hardworking, often martyr to duty. You are very adventurous and willing to take risk to achieve your objectives. It is difficult to be tied down by rules and obligations.”

There wasn’t too much that was relevant to Mira but what I did find was accurate and kinda explains her character well.

Rodrik: “Your tendency is to finish whatever you start. You are frank, methodical and believe in law, system and order. You are always looking for an opportunity to show your abilities, especially before audience. The biggest challenge for you is uncertainty.”

There was little that was truly relevant to Rodrik but what I did find was still accurate, I guess. Especially the ‘finish whatever you start’ bit.

Talia: “You like to control everyone within your influence, to shape things to your own liking. You are bold and independent. You are very intuitive. You are always looking for an opportunity to investigate the unknown and to use and show your mental abilities. You can keep secrets and are a good diplomat.”

This is very true for Talia. There was also some other things saying that it means you’re ‘sensitive’ but that only applies to her before episode 5.

Ethan: “You are fine when in harmony but changeable when in discord, because many of your best qualities are then reversed. Your fine intellect is capable of high honours if applied seriously. You have an eventful, exciting life. You are looking for chances to mix with others socially and to communicate his ideas. You are always looking for an opportunity to show your abilities, especially before audience.”

The Ethan 'description' was very similar to Rodrik’s in a way, which is kinda, just a little bit the case in the game. But this ‘description’ is very similar to how Ethan actually behaved.

Duncan: “You are strong in material matters, determined and stubborn. You have good business ability. You are a good worker, steady and practical, a builder who takes responsibility well. These qualities may bring you a position of authority and power. You are a doer, down-to-earth, serious-minded, reliable, and self-disciplined; have good power of concentration. Emergencies may raise your intuitive abilities in order to resolve conflict or situation.”

I don’t think I could have explained Duncan better myself. This is so accurate it is becoming scary.

Royland: “You are a law unto itself. Your tendency is to finish whatever you start. You have passion for justice and belong to the position of authority.”

Royland’s ‘description’ thing, I don’t know… Uh, it wasn’t really relevant, there was only a couple of sentences that related to him, so, I guess he’s the exception.

Elissa: “You are fine when in harmony but changeable when in discord, because many of your best qualities are then reversed. You are always looking for an opportunity to achieve financial and emotional security. You can be very sensitive. You have developed intuition, patience and the ability to nurture others.”

It wasn’t too relevant to her but these points explain her well. Especially the ‘emotional security’ one.

Gregor: "You think deeply and clearly, have an air of mystery, can be solitary and secretive. You have an eventful, exciting life. You are versatile and have the ability to learn easily. You have a reservoir of inspired wisdom combined with inherited analytical ability. You are always looking for an opportunity to investigate the unknown.”

Eh, we don’t really know Gregor that well so I just found what I thought was relevant to him and it seems to be quite accurate, maybe?

That’s everyone I wanted to look at, so what do you think? Do you think these ‘meanings/descriptions’ fit the characters or not? And do you think Telltale chose these names randomly or chose them based on their meanings?

Comments

Sign in to comment in this discussion.