Guybrush Threefoot

I know most of you won't care, but I thought this was kind of funny and wanted to share....

With all the Monkey Island going around our house lately, our 5 year old daughter has been humming the song, which I think is kind of cute. But what's funny is every now and then she'll mention the game or ask a question about it but when she does, she calls him "Guybrush Threefoot", despite us constantly trying to correct her. I just find it funny because the series has always had the running joke of other characters mispronouncing his name. :)

Any of you others with small children experience a similar thing?

Comments

• edited November 2009
    Aw, that's cute.
    Nope, no smaller children, although my mom once called him "Streepford" or something like that.
  • edited November 2009
    I can't say that I've ever introduced anyone to the series who was that young, but even after a decade of my sister and I being fans of the series (though I've never managed to get her to take the time to play any game other than Curse), my parents still don't know who "Guybrush" is.
  • edited November 2009
    My friend on IMs for some reason always spells his name "gyebrush." >:| Every time she said it I would always make fun of her by going "GAYBRUSH" but she still makes the same typo a lot.
  • edited November 2009
    A lot of my friends call him Gaybrush on purpose. >.<
  • edited November 2009
    Maxilyah wrote: »

my friend does that to annoy me and one called him guybrush dickwood and thought they where cleaver
  • edited November 2009
    Ah yes jokes for the lowest common denominator
  • edited November 2009
    LOL i guess this is how the joke of getting his name wrong came from. im guessing when they told the team who the main char is they kept getting his name wrong and thought it was pretty funny to put it in the game
  • edited November 2009
    balin2k wrote: »
    ...when they told the team who the main char is...

Somebody doesn't know their Monkey Trivia™. Guybrush's first name comes from the naming convention used by DPaint which gave files the extension of ".brush". The character was as yet unnamed so the original sprites were just saved as "guy". Put together this gives us "guy.brush". :D

His last name was just left down to a vote, so I doubt it came as a great surprise to any of them.
    Threepwood was decided in a company contest - the name comes from the book "The Brinkmanship of Galahad Threepwood" (US title).

Oh, and very funny about your daughter. I don't have any children (yet, I'm only 21!!), and haven't really introduced the games to many people, definitely nobody that young.
  • edited November 2009
    My dad, who's in his mid-fifties, likes to call him 'Graybush' or 'Gaybrush'. At one point it was because he really couldn't remember it, then it was just to be funny. :d
  • Dave GrossmanDave Grossman Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2009
    Somebody doesn't know their Monkey Trivia™. Guybrush's first name comes from the naming convention used by DPaint which gave files the extension of ".brush". The character was as yet unnamed so the original sprites were just saved as "guy". Put together this gives us "guy.brush". :D

Mostly true, but Wikipedia actually gets the details slightly wrong. For the obsessively detail-oriented among you: The DPaint extension for brush files was .bbm (remember that file extensions could only be three letters in those days). The file was named guybrush.bbm, but the "brush" was included by Steve Purcell, who did the drawing, rather than by DPaint itself.
  • edited November 2009
    1/121 of Dave Grossman's posts in this forum have been dedicated to educating me personally. :eek:

I can die happy. :cool:

Oh, and you can consider Wikipedia officially correctified! ^_^
  • edited November 2009
    Maxilyah wrote: »

Sounds like you are going to need new friends :p
  • edited November 2009
    It's understandable... even Guybrush gets his own name wrong in chapter 4 :D

awesome scene
  • edited November 2009
    one of the best scenes in history, is that, and its surrounding events lol
  • edited November 2009
    Somebody doesn't know their Monkey Trivia™.

He didn't say where the name came from, but where he thinks the joke came from.
  • edited November 2009
    My dad introduced me to the series when I was four years old and I used to call Guybrush "Monkey", 'cause I'm Italian and was at the time too young to understand English =)
  • edited November 2009
    Mostly true, but Wikipedia actually gets the details slightly wrong. For the obsessively detail-oriented among you: The DPaint extension for brush files was .bbm (remember that file extensions could only be three letters in those days). The file was named guybrush.bbm, but the "brush" was included by Steve Purcell, who did the drawing, rather than by DPaint itself.

Well, if you don't use the amiga, you'll get that problem with file names.. ;)
  • edited November 2009
    Visstix wrote: »

The point is that "the team" was in on it from the beginning. "They" never "told the team who the main char is" as it were. The surname "Threepwood" was derived from the company contest...and/or Dave's RPG character. :cool:

It is possible that after the votes were tallied that people were still mispronouncing and/or forgetting the name of Threepwood, but it didn't come as some huge surprise to everyone.

The only reason I included the bit about his first name was because it was related to the discussion of where his name came from (which I was discussing in relation to the surname). And clearly that has been clarified/rectified by Dave.
  • edited November 2009
    Visstix wrote: »

thanks :D yeah i knew the whole guy.brush story. yeah just the joke. imagne seeing the name 'guybrush threepwood' on paper for the first time. im sure when some ppl read it out loud they had a little problem with the whole name so they just over did ppl getting his name wrong. always makes me laugh when i tell ppl who dont know about the game what his name is. they always come out with somthing like ' ginebrush threewoop'
  • edited November 2009
    That's cool. Didn't mean to sound offensive or anything, so sorry if I did. ;) Like I said, I'm sure a lot of people might've mispronounced/forgotten the name at first. :D
  • edited November 2009

My mind has been blown. Down is up. Black is white.

I need a lie down.
  • edited November 2009
    That's cool. Didn't mean to sound offensive or anything, so sorry if I did. ;) Like I said, I'm sure a lot of people might've mispronounced/forgotten the name at first. :D

na its kool :D
  • edited November 2009
    Fealiks wrote: »
    My mind has been blown. Down is up. Black is white.

I need a lie down.

Wait, are you serious? And here I could've sworn that down is white and up is black!! :eek:
  • edited November 2009
    Threefoot?

Well he does already have 3 wet legs in his pants.
  • edited November 2009
    threefoot is pretty funny. could be worth including in the game. :)
  • edited November 2009
    mmm, my ex-boyfriend used to call me 'Mancomb' affectionately.

We jokingly agreed to call our first child Guybrush Threep Wood, or Guy Brush Threep Wood given that we were both huge fans of the games, and his surname was Wood.
  • edited November 2009
    The missus once called him Guy Fawkes Brush. Which was mildly amusing.:)
  • edited July 2010

Hate to correct you there Dave, but your memory is faulty... The Amiga never had any such extension limitations, that was DOS. The file extension for brush files in Deluxe Paint was actually .brush, not .bbm.

:P
  • edited July 2010
    Dave Grossman is always right! ALWAYS!
  • edited July 2010
    Dave Grossman is always right! ALWAYS!

If Dave says your name is Susan, then we will all call you Susie from now on and you will LIKE it!
    You will be proud to tell people: "My name is Susan because Dave Grossman ****ing said so!"

Seriously though, it really doesn't matter if that tidbit is correct or not, because .brush is a Xerox Doodle extension, which I highly doubt they used in the development.
    Also, it has sort of been taken as read that it was developed on an Amiga, since everything else at the time was, but I have never seen anything that explicitly stated it.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.