Who do you think will appear in Chapter 5?

Comments

• edited November 2009
    Yeah, I think an appearance from Santino would make a lot of sense.

I would love it if all ghost characters had visible skeletons but I am not counting on it.
  • edited November 2009
    Monkey Island!
    I would like to see it in 3D *-*
    Hehe

Bye!
  • edited November 2009
    would be kool if winslow and wally met. both love maps :D . would be kool to see ozzy maybe.
  • edited November 2009
    WeRa wrote: »
    Monkey Island!
    I would like to see it in 3D *-*
    Hehe

Bye!

Either you don't count MI4 as 3D or you've never played it.
  • edited November 2009
    thatdude98 wrote: »
    Either you don't count MI4 as 3D or you've never played it.

The background art in EMI are pre-rendered, not 3D.
  • edited November 2009
    Isn't that just splitting hairs? The backgrounds were rendered to appear 3D so they wouldn't have to be rendered in real-time, and the gameplay was still in 3D. I'd say there was more 3D to that game's rendition of Monkey Island than there was 2D.
  • edited November 2009
    i wanna see Lemonhead. maybe he began a diet that only permitted him to eat egg's, and as there were no chickens on monkey island, he eventually starved to death. a little far fetched maybe?!
  • edited November 2009
    i wanna see Lemonhead. maybe he began a diet that only permitted him to eat egg's, and as there were no chickens on monkey island, he eventually starved to death. a little far fetched maybe?!

since he moved to blood island and became a vegetarian its a bit far fretched
  • edited November 2009
    whatsnewbeelzebub_sm.png
    Satan from Sam and Max Season 2.

...or maybe not.
  • edited November 2009
    Maybe we'll get to meet Meathook's hands and Hemlock McGee's legs?

We did meet his legs. Then we dipped them in sugar water and fed them to the jungle beast.
  • edited November 2009
    StonkBad wrote: »
    We did meet his legs. Then we dipped them in sugar water and fed them to the jungle beast.

No, no, we dipped someone's legs in sugar water and fed them to the jungle beast. That sack certainly looked like it had more than two legs in it, and knowing De Singe, he probably had more than just one sack's worth of legs in his back room.

Of course, Hemlock's legs pose the same problem as the skeletons of Guybrush's parents. How would you ever know who they belonged to? Well, except for Krebbs' right leg. We all could identify that if it was ever severed.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited November 2009
    There are many opportunities for crossover, but I don't think many (Manny?) can be met. For legal reasons, I'll rule out any characters from GRIM FANDANGO. Also, these two settings do not match (for example, there were computers in Grim Fandango...). Also, Guybrush is not going to hell, just to the land of the dead. That rules out the S&M-Satan figure pretty much.

Returning characters from previous MI games & episodes: I wouldn't be happy if Noogie returned (he's about the worst character of all MI games, I'm sad to say). Wally would be interesting. As for Santino... well, I'm not sure if he could meet all those great expectations. ;)
  • edited November 2009
    Isn't that just splitting hairs? The backgrounds were rendered to appear 3D so they wouldn't have to be rendered in real-time, and the gameplay was still in 3D. I'd say there was more 3D to that game's rendition of Monkey Island than there was 2D.

There is a huge difference between pre-rendered CGI-made backgrounds and actual 3D polygonal worlds. The backgrounds of EMI are only 3D in the sense that they look computer generated. However, unlike the backgrounds of TMI, they are completely static and apart from the estethics, no different from the drawn backgrounds of the first three Monkey Island games.

Also, how is the gameplay of EMI more "3D" than any of the previous Lucasarts adventures?
  • edited November 2009
    sam and max's satan was mentioned, but what about sam and max. been in every MI game to date.
  • edited November 2009
    Bagge wrote: »
    There is a huge difference between pre-rendered CGI-made backgrounds and actual 3D polygonal worlds. The backgrounds of EMI are only 3D in the sense that they look computer generated. However, unlike the backgrounds of TMI, they are completely static and apart from the estethics, no different from the drawn backgrounds of the first three Monkey Island games.

Also, how is the gameplay of EMI more "3D" than any of the previous Lucasarts adventures?

The character models are 3D and you move them on a 3D plain. GrimE is a 3D engine.
  • edited November 2009

I played EMI, and I liked it but their graphics could have been better :(
    In my opinion, the game has semi-3D graphics that looked great for its time, but I would like to see the Telltale's version :D
  • edited November 2009
    There is a huge difference between pre-rendered CGI-made backgrounds and actual 3D polygonal worlds. The backgrounds of EMI are only 3D in the sense that they look computer generated.

They don't just look computer generated, they are computer generated.

And since the inciting post used the phrase, "I would like to see it in 3D" (emphasis mine) it is worth pointing out that the island has been visually rendered in 3D in a previous game.

:p
  • edited November 2009
    Are you guys talking about the dream "Full-3-D Telltale Tool Special Edition of EMI"? Because as much as we wish for it, it won't happen. :(

To stay on topic, I don't want them to pull a Sam&Max thing, where they just force back people we've seen in previous chapters. You know, the way they kept bringing pack Harry Moleman or the Soda Poppers in different roles? I'd hate that.
  • edited November 2009
    Even if there's a 3D Monkey Island this stupid episode releasing system probably won't let we have more than 3 scenarios

I mean, all Tales of Monkey Island episodes lack scenarios
  • edited November 2009
    balin2k wrote: »
    would be kool if winslow and wally met. both love maps :D . would be kool to see ozzy maybe.
    winslow and wally would be immediate love! not only they share the starting character of their names, they also would fit with the maps (like a sm-couple): winslow likes someone to point at them and wally likes to point himself!
    No, no, we dipped someone's legs in sugar water and fed them to the jungle beast. That sack certainly looked like it had more than two legs in it, and knowing De Singe, he probably had more than just one sack's worth of legs in his back room.

Of course, Hemlock's legs pose the same problem as the skeletons of Guybrush's parents. How would you ever know who they belonged to? Well, except for Krebbs' right leg. We all could identify that if it was ever severed.
    if you don’t get it right with the leg (sugar and then leg into well), you can feed as many un-sugarwatered legs to the beast as you like, so the sack probably contains all of them.

do you all think krebbs will play another role? i like her character!

and @topic: santino wold be totally logical and cool, morgan is a must and wally is a cute guy, too. so: all of the the four last mentioned ones!
  • jmmjmm
    edited November 2009
    thin029 wrote: »
    Even if there's a 3D Monkey Island this stupid episode releasing system probably won't let we have more than 3 scenarios

I mean, all Tales of Monkey Island episodes lack scenarios

Why should Telltale, hypothetically speaking, release an episodic "Escape of Monkey Island (tm)"?

Also, how do you know that the Telltale Engine/Tool can't do more "scenarios" if Telltale makes a "full" game?

Still, I doubt it will happen since
    a) Telltale was built for/on the episodic gaming model. Cutting EMI into episodes won't make it episodic.
    b) If the remake is made non-episodic, the amount of time and resources needed for the remake will make it economically unsound since it will probably need the same resources as two episodic seasons (or more) to be produced in a realistic time-frame.
    c) It will be a remake, which sadly will not attract as many buyers as a new game could. MI1: SE was a cool experiment and I wish M2 was given the same (And hopefully better) treatment, but I'll probably skip those remakes in favor of new material.

IMO, I prefer them (Telltale) to continue working on new episodes of MI (and other games) instead of focusing on remakes.
  • edited November 2009
    The character models are 3D and you move them on a 3D plain. GrimE is a 3D engine.

Apart from keyboard controls and the aestethics - how is
    melee_02.gif
    any more of a 3D plane to move around on than
    melee_01.gif
    ?

You are moving along the exact same axes in both cases - there is no added dimension in EMI.
  • edited November 2009
    if you don’t get it right with the leg (sugar and then leg into well), you can feed as many un-sugarwatered legs to the beast as you like, so the sack probably contains all of them.

So the Marquis keeps his severed legs in a bag of holding? And Guybrush didn't hang onto it when it was empty?! Wait, what does he need a bag of holding for? He has pants of holding!
    jmm wrote: »
    Why should Telltale, hypothetically speaking, release an episodic "Escape of Monkey Island (tm)"?

Also, how do you know that the Telltale Engine/Tool can't do more "scenarios" if Telltale makes a "full" game?

Still, I doubt it will happen since
    a) Telltale was built for/on the episodic gaming model. Cutting EMI into episodes won't make it episodic.
    b) If the remake is made non-episodic, the amount of time and resources needed for the remake will make it economically unsound since it will probably need the same resources as two episodic seasons (or more) to be produced in a realistic time-frame.
    c) It will be a remake, which sadly will not attract as many buyers as a new game could. MI1: SE was a cool experiment and I wish M2 was given the same (And hopefully better) treatment, but I'll probably skip those remakes in favor of new material.

IMO, I prefer them (Telltale) to continue working on new episodes of MI (and other games) instead of focusing on remakes.

There's another possibility here. I know it may be too much to hope for, but LucasArts has absolutely learned a lot about making a 3D game since the days of the GrimE games, and they seem to have a renewed interest in the Monkey Island series. Given the popularity of Tales and the success of SoMI: Special Edition (and the potential success of MI2: SE), if enough of a clamor was made by fans (all of you, to the LucasArts forums now!), I think it's possible that they might give the third and fourth games a similar upgrade treatment, hopefully taking a lesson from how Telltale has handled the series in 3D for the fourth installment.
  • edited November 2009
    exactly. magical pants in which you can store a cannon loader longer than your leg ;)

i personally don’t think that part 3 and 4 will be remade. too new, comi actually has quite timeless graphics
  • edited November 2009
    exactly. magical pants in which you can store a cannon loader longer than your leg ;)

i personally don’t think that part 3 and 4 will be remade. too new, comi actually has quite timeless graphics

Funny, that's actually the exact example I gave when I added Guybrush's pants to the bag of holding article on Wikipedia about an hour ago.

I agree with you about Curse to some extent, but having had it pointed out to me, I paid more attention this time through. If a remake was done, I would want to see it with almost the exact same graphics, but with better definition and more colors. I think they did an amazing job compensating, and as a result, the graphics appear to be much better than they are if you don't pay attention. The other thing I would want to see is some of the cut material. Not anything they purposely cut out, just things they ran out of time for, like the Carnival of the Damned cutscene where Elaine switches the tracks.
  • edited November 2009
    Fugu Jolokia.

This may be a bit of a reach, but I'm re-playing Trial and Execution, and I just reached the Fugu Jolokia challenge, and I can't help but feel that Grindstump's description of it as "The hottest pepper in this world...or the next" combined with the fact that unlike most all of the other Feast for the Senses items, the pepper remains in the inventory after it's been used, seems to indicate that it may play a part in a puzzle in the Land of the Undead.

Edit: I forgot that the pepper already played a part in getting the Marquis to stick his head in sugar water, but I still think it could show up in chapter 5.
  • edited November 2009
    jmm wrote: »

I never said I wanted telltale to Remake Escape from Monkey Island, where did you get that idea?

I said Telltale couldn't make a full 3D Monkey Island, and when I say that I mean the ISLAND, not the game. Because all previous game episodes we had are lacking scenarios, so if Telltale would drag us to Monkey Island in one of their games there would be like 3 small scenarios, which would suck.
    If they'd do a full game they could make cities like LUCRE ISLAND, I mean Lucre Island alone has more scenarios than all Tales of Monkey Island episodes together.
  • edited November 2009
    Apart from keyboard controls and the aestethics - how is
    melee_02.gif
    any more of a 3D plane to move around on than
    melee_01.gif
    ?

You are moving along the exact same axes in both cases - there is no added dimension in EMI.

yes, there is. I'm not sure how tecnically minded you are but there is a big difference. SCUMM is a 2D engine and GrimE is 3D, even if it uses prerendered backgrounds. You move the characters in a 3D space where as SCUMM mimics things like perspective by scaling the sprites.
  • edited November 2009
    Santino! Oh pleasepleaseplease I want to talk to Santino at least once in this game.
  • edited November 2009
    Personally, i think sam&max will make an appearance. Every other MI game has mentioned them somewhere, and oddly, whilst TTG hold the license for S&M, they haven't been mentioned in any of the TMI games.
  • edited November 2009
    did you try to talk to him? actually you can talk to many of the skeletons in the episodes…
  • edited November 2009
    People felt bad about Wally losing his monocle enough to supposedly remove it from a game let alone kill him.
    Although, this WAS LucasArts....
  • edited November 2009
    I think porcelain will appear in chapter five.
  • edited November 2009
    I think porcelain will appear in chapter five.

maybe the land of the dead is made of porcelain!? truly hell for guybrush!
  • edited November 2009
    balin2k wrote: »
    maybe the land of the dead is made of porcelain!? truly hell for guybrush!

I know i'm being rather pedantic, but
    it's the land of the undead, where the undead go. So I would infer from this distinction that simply being killed would not get you into that place.
  • edited November 2009
    Gryffalio wrote: »
    I know i'm being rather pedantic, but
    it's the land of the undead, where the undead go. So I would infer from this distinction that simply being killed would not get you into that place.
    I had the same thought. Logically, only those who died a death due to voodoo circumstances (like at the hands of LeChuck) will be there. So Murray probably, Morgan definitely (if we assumed LeChuck killed her) but I think not DeSinge, as it was circumstance and clumsiness that took care of him. If Elaine is there it will be beause LeChuck transported her.

If Murray is there, I assume he will be headless, since his skull is still presumed to be where it was at the end of the credits from Lair.

The Voodoo Lady will probably be there. I assume she gets free season passes...
  • edited November 2009
    Why is everyone assuming that Wally is dead? :(
  • edited November 2009
    chemistx2 wrote: »
    I had the same thought. Logically, only those who died a death due to voodoo circumstances (like at the hands of LeChuck) will be there. So Murray probably, Morgan definitely (if we assumed LeChuck killed her) but I think not DeSinge, as it was circumstance and clumsiness that took care of him. If Elaine is there it will be beause LeChuck transported her.

If Murray is there, I assume he will be headless, since his skull is still presumed to be where it was at the end of the credits from Lair.

The Voodoo Lady will probably be there. I assume she gets free season passes...

Aw, by this logic there will be no return of the Pyrite Parrot.
  • BasBas
    edited November 2009
    Last thing we saw of Wally he had given up on being a pirate and was safely on the beach at Plunder Island. Why would he be dead?
  • edited November 2009
    Bas wrote: »
    Last thing we saw of Wally he had given up on being a pirate and was safely on the beach at Plunder Island. Why would he be dead?

No, the last we saw of Wally, he was hanging in the diorama of Guybrush and Wally being tortured in MI2. If you mouse-over him, he shows as "Dynamo-Monkeylectric Wally", but if you examine him, Guybrush realizes that LeChuck used the real Wally, and he promises to rescue him after all the other things he has to do. Unless he managed to escape on his own, Wally was still in the roller coaster when Guybrush collapsed it on LeChuck.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.