ToMI - Fullgame Patch ?!?

Ahoi Folks... is there a Chance to get a Patch for ToMI
to play the whole Season in one Part without a Brake?

I hope thats possible (official or unofficial) ... :confused:

Comments

• edited December 2009
    I find it unlikely.... What would be great, though would be a TTG launcher where you could select all episodes instead of one individual launcher for each episode... It could still be the telltale default launcher but with six "launch game buttons", one per episode. And when you close the game you could still chose another episode. Would certainly avoid the "close launcher, start menu or whatever, open next episode launcher, launch game" routine. And it be awesome for the DVD release.... :D
  • edited December 2009
    Probably would be impossible untill the DVD release, at least.
  • edited December 2009
    I've seen this suggested before... As far as I recall, it is possible, but it would require lots and lots of time and work.
  • edited December 2009
    I know that the first two seasons of S&M dvds did have a single launcher that you could launch all 5 or 6 episodes from, individually.

So, the Launcher is probable, on the DVD.
  • edited December 2009
    I too am wondering if maybe they will combine the game for the dvd release, would be a shame if we lost the chapter credits sequences tough.
  • edited December 2009
    I wouldn't say it's impossible. Weirder things have happened, like LucasArts deciding to license out Monkey Island to a relatively small, episodic game developer. But I'd file it under "pretty unlikely", due to the logistics of the issue.
  • edited December 2009
    Santar wrote: »
    I too am wondering if maybe they will combine the game for the dvd release, would be a shame if we lost the chapter credits sequences tough.

Well, I suppose they could put them on the dvd as a feature?
    Or have the choice to play as a full game or episodes, losing the credits in the full game, but still having them in the single.

I don't know, but I'd love to see it played as a continous ~20hour game.
  • edited December 2009
    Funny thing is if Tales is played as one long game it's actually a decent lengthy adventure game instead of five rather short ones :)

I'm pretty sure if I added all the time I've spent playing trough the chapters, it'd probably add up to somewhere at least around the playtime of the other games in the series.
  • edited December 2009
    Funny thing is if Tales is played as one long game it's actually a decent lengthy adventure game instead of five rather short ones :)

I'm pretty sure if I added all the time I've spent playing trough the chapters, it'd probably add up to somewhere at least around the playtime of the other games in the series.

That's the whole point. It's supposed to be one long game like the others in the series, its just that each chapter is a separate download.
  • edited December 2009
    Though I would never see it, because I have a deathly aversion to physical media, I have softened a bit on the idea of this season remix thing that always gets brought up. In the case of TOMI, it probably would make a good full length game all spliced together. I don't think it's likely to happen, but yeah, it would work here.

(Though I haven't played EP5 yet.)
  • edited December 2009
    That's the whole point. It's supposed to be one long game like the others in the series, its just that each chapter is a separate download.

Of course I'm aware of this :)
  • edited December 2009
    Of course I'm aware of this :)

Oh, okay. Just making sure. :D
  • edited December 2009
    The problem is that each chapter is also a separate executable, with its own code (and, if this interview with Dave Grossman is to be believed, different versions of the Telltale Tool), which would make combining them into one game very time-consuming. You can play them back-to-back easily enough, but making them seamless would be another barrel of monkeys entirely.
  • edited December 2009
    SubSidal wrote: »
    I find it unlikely.... What would be great, though would be a TTG launcher where you could select all episodes instead of one individual launcher for each episode... It could still be the telltale default launcher but with six "launch game buttons", one per episode. And when you close the game you could still chose another episode. Would certainly avoid the "close launcher, start menu or whatever, open next episode launcher, launch game" routine. And it be awesome for the DVD release.... :D
    A launcher for all 5 games? You mean something like this?

I made a full menu for the entire Monkey Island series in Visual Basic 6 a while back. I gave the Tales series it's own 'form', and all I've done here is adjust the code slightly and made it into a stand-alone menu.

To use, pop it in your 'Tales of Monkey Island' directory, create a short-cut for it on your desktop (or the start menu, it's up to you) and away you go. All 5 games launch properly, and the launcher itself will stay open until you close it manually.

If you're interested in the code behind this, here it is:
    Private Sub Command1_Click()
    ChDir "Launch of the Screaming Narwhal\"
    Shell "MonkeyIsland101.exe"
    End Sub

Private Sub Command2_Click()
    ChDir "The Siege of Spinner Cay\"
    Shell "MonkeyIsland102.exe"
    End Sub

Private Sub Command3_Click()
    ChDir "Lair of the Leviathon\"
    Shell "MonkeyIsland103.exe"
    End Sub

Private Sub Command4_Click()
    ChDir "The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood\"
    Shell "MonkeyIsland104.exe"
    End Sub

Private Sub Command5_Click()
    ChDir "Rise of the Pirate God\"
    Shell "MonkeyIsland105.exe"
    End Sub
    If you guys want, I can alter the code to make the menu close after you select a game. Just let me know, it'll take me, like, 30 seconds.
  • edited December 2009
    You mean something like this?

I made a full menu for the entire Monkey Island series in Visual Basic 6 a while back. I gave the Tales series it's own form, and all I've done here is adjust the code slightly and made it into a stand-alone menu.

To use, pop it in your 'Tales of Monkey Island' directory, create a short-cut for it on your desktop and away you go. All 5 games launch properly, and the launcher stays open until you close it manually.

If you're interested in the code behind this, here it is:
    If you guys want, I can alter the code to make the menu close after you select a game. Just let me know, it'll take me, like, 30 seconds.

D...d....do it!
  • edited December 2009
    Say please. :D

Here you go. The reason for the word Unload is that that's the line of code I added. Literally, I just added the line 'Unload Me' to the end of each section of code.
  • edited December 2009
    Thanks! Your launcher is pretty handy... ;) But I was talking about an actual TTG games launcher that would make the game load right away instead of opening another launcher. But guess only telltale can do that.
    bhxob wrote: »
    I know that the first two seasons of S&M dvds did have a single launcher that you could launch all 5 or 6 episodes from, individually.

So, the Launcher is probable, on the DVD.

Really? AWESOME!! That's PRECISELY what I was talking about! I bought both seasons of sam&max but dont have the dvds yet... So I didn't know it featured such launcher.
  • edited December 2009
    Hmm. While certain parts do seem to be set up to work as one full game (the return of the pirate face pulling in Episode 5, for example) I suppose that having it as one long game would mean that we lose Murray's credits in Episode 3, and (possibly) the Voodoo Lady's recaps between chapters. Perhaps having the option of playing the game in either episodes or as one long game could be a nice compromise.
  • edited December 2009
    I wouldn't mind losing the Voodoo Lady recaps, but not Murray! Almost everything he says is pure, simple genius. Modify his credits to include them for the full series, whack 'em on the very end of the compiled version, and boom! Sorted.
  • edited December 2009
    You can toss in the Murray credits and the recaps as DVD extras. That wouldn't even be a slight issue.

I liked the episodic format, but I think joining them as one thing makes a lot of sense for the eventual retail release. The retail market is for all the people that are scared or ignorant of new things, who won't order online, who don't like the idea of episodes. It's a different audience, and they're going to be more responsive to a single game so it would be smart business to merge them.

The Telltale DVD is a little different since that's targeting people that already bought it, but if they end up doing it for the retail version, I'd like it on the DVD as well. My guess is that they're going to try to do it, but if the technical hurdles prove to be too costly they're not going to.
  • edited December 2009
    It's been suggested a lot of times before, but Telltale don't seem interested in doing it.

Although some content, mainly the credits and Voodoo opening sequences for each game would be lost, it would be great to have the ability to play through it all as one whole game, and I still feel this should be done for the DVD.
  • edited December 2009
    Joining them all together would be a nice idea, would also SLIGHTLY reduce the space it takes up too as the episodes have a lot of repeated audio (Credits, Flotsam Town and Variations, Interlude). Also I'm sure there are some graphical changes between the episodes, I noticed this on the ending of Episode 1 and the Start of Episode 2, the contrast in the scene becomes more darker in Episode 2 and looks better for it.
  • edited December 2009
    The problem isn't that they're not interested, it's that it's a lot of work to very little reward. (is anybody who was going to pay full price for the DVD going to pass it up because of the episode structure?) You can't just glue the five episodes together in an afternoon. It would take a ton of coding and then an entire game's worth of testing and bug-fixing to get everything working off the same executable.
  • edited December 2009
    Shale wrote: »
    The problem isn't that they're not interested, it's that it's a lot of work to very little reward. (is anybody who was going to pay full price for the DVD going to pass it up because of the episode structure?) You can't just glue the five episodes together in an afternoon. It would take a ton of coding and then an entire game's worth of testing and bug-fixing to get everything working off the same executable.

That's why adding a "launch next episode" button to the end launcher or a start launcher with "launch game" buttons for all episodes would be more adequate.
  • edited December 2009

There's only five episodes ;)
    We get that structure on the DVD release anyway (at least i think so, it was like that for S&MS1 wii)
  • edited December 2009
    Friar wrote: »
    There's only five episodes ;)
    We get that structure on the DVD release anyway (at least i think so, it was like that for S&MS1 wii)

Ooops... :o Sorry.. Guess I was dreaming wide awake there (my subconscious mind hoping we would get another ep next month :p)
  • edited December 2009
    That's why adding a "launch next episode" button to the end launcher or a start launcher with "launch game" buttons for all episodes would be more adequate.

Well, the Sam & Max DVDs both have a single launcher that you can use to select any episode, so I'd say the odds are good.
  • edited December 2009
    A single launcher for all five episodes is a shoo-in for the DVD release, since as far as I'm aware all Telltale DVDs has had one. Joining the episodes together in one big .exe, on the other hand, would probably be a bit too difficult for the DVD release. Although the modders may have something to say about that...
  • edited December 2009
    I don't really think this series would benefit from being cut+pasted together as one long game. The story is designed as a series of episodes, and the cliffhanger endings wouldn't have as nice an impact as they do when they're separate. Quitting the game and clicking on the next episode is hardly a time-consuming process anyway.
  • edited December 2009
    I don't really think this series would benefit from being cut+pasted together as one long game. The story is designed as a series of episodes, and the cliffhanger endings wouldn't have as nice an impact as they do when they're separate. Quitting the game and clicking on the next episode is hardly a time-consuming process anyway.
    Yes, but watching the same list of credits five times is.
  • edited December 2009
    Friar wrote: »
    Yes, but watching the same list of credits five times is.
    This.

I don't know why people seem so sad at the idea of not having the credits for each episode. Personally, they bugged the hell out of me. Where they actually did something interesting with the credits (which was only the Murray bit, as I recall) then yes, that was great, but the rest of them? Hell no. Extremely long unskippable credits are an atrocity in my book.
  • edited December 2009
    Just a quick post...

Earlier in the thread I posted my custom launcher... unfortunately, there was a typo which meant that Lair of the Leviathon didn't launch. I've since gone and fixed it, and so the new, working, link is here.

Sorry for any inconvenience, and thanks to the guy who e-mailed and let me know about the error.
  • edited December 2009
    Wishbone wrote: »
    This.

I don't know why people seem so sad at the idea of not having the credits for each episode. Personally, they bugged the hell out of me. Where they actually did something interesting with the credits (which was only the Murray bit, as I recall) then yes, that was great, but the rest of them? Hell no. Extremely long unskippable credits are an atrocity in my book.

Personally I like seeing who's done what in which episode, so I really wouldn't want them to be taken out. I wouldn't mind if there was an option to return to the main menu from the credits though.
  • There is no file at that link. Where is it, goddamed.

Say please. Here you go. The reason for the word Unload is that that's the line of code I added. Literally, I just added the line 'Unload Me' to the end of each section of code.

• I am sorry please Darth Marsden, where is that file, because I really REALLY, REALLY want it. Please, Please.

Gamemand posted: »

There is no file at that link. Where is it, goddamed.

• sob sob, It just say that the file has been removed. There is nothing there. It is an empty clue,sob sob

Say please. Here you go. The reason for the word Unload is that that's the line of code I added. Literally, I just added the line 'Unload Me' to the end of each section of code.

• Does anyone have this launcher still? The link is broken and the creator hasn't logged on this forum since 2014.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.