Forum of Thrones: An Interactive Story

Comments

• [Decline to pay for the hunter]

So, if I remember we were to late to learn something about the beast. I think there's more to this than it seems.

Richard The roar of the old, white lion was audible even from outside of the tent. Richard was waiting outside of it, a disgruntled look

• [Agree to pay the hunter]

Richard The roar of the old, white lion was audible even from outside of the tent. Richard was waiting outside of it, a disgruntled look

• [Decline to pay for the hunter] Richard needs the money and these guys seem way in over their heads. I can't help but feel like they don't have a clue what they're talking about.

• TheLionheartTheLionheart Banned
    edited February 2016

[Agree to pay the hunter] Yea Vaasrand

Great part :D

• [Decline to pay for the hunter] Richard needs money, he is already broken.

• edited February 2016

his name was Irnas mo Akk

If there is something that I like more of when one of my characters is been mentioned is when they do their first appearance! :D

About the PoV I really like how you decide to continue the beast plot making the farmers discuss their plans during an exhibition of beasts!I also like that Roman start to develop at least a secondary role and that we learn something about the Recton family.

About the choice I decide that I will [Decline to pay for the hunter] because I know that in this way the others,expecially Roman, will be less friendly but Richard is not in a good economic position and if they fail he will not have enough money to continue his activity (plus even if we don't give money we will still help during the fight)

• Decline to pay for the hunter)

• [Decline to pay for the hunter] I'll admit I was pretty torn with this decision at first but I suppose it is better to be safe than sorry. I'm still not sure if this is the right decision or not but while paying for the hunter would get rid of one problem, not being able to pay enough for food, clothing, livestock, and other stuff would just create more problems. Oh and "Winter is coming." So... yeah. :P

• Hazard20Hazard20 Banned
    edited February 2016

[Decline to pay for the hunter] Sure they can afford it.

• UntouchableXUntouchableX Banned
    edited February 2016

[Agree to pay for the hunter] Most hunters are greedy and I don't think farmers stand a chance alone.

I have a theory about this beast but I could be wrong;
    I think the beast is wolfius warging into an animal and killing everything I reread Arthurs last part and you refer to Wolfius as a beast a few times it seemed strange but it could be a coincidence, That would be pretty badass though.

And if you don't mind me asking who's the next PoV.

• edited February 2016

I have a theory about this beast but I could be wrong; I think the beast is wolfius warging into an animal and killing everything I reread Arthurs last part and you refer to Wolfius as a beast a few times it seemed strange but it could be a coincidence, That would be pretty badass though.

This is an interesting theory. Wolfius is indeed often refered to as a beast, not only in Arthur's parts, but also in the parts from Richard, Lyria and Ilish. Generally, they call him a beast in reference to his wild and beastly nature. Meanwhile, the nature of the beast is going to be revealed in the next chapter, sort of. Until then, I can neither confirm nor deny your theory.

And if you don't mind me asking who's the next PoV.

The next part is going to include a Drent PoV. We haven't seen him in forever and I'm looking forward to finally write more stuff for him. I'm not yet sure if his first PoV is going to have the length of a full part, so maybe I'm going to include an Alys PoV as well. The part is probably going to be out either tomorrow or the day after. The day after is a bit more likely, since I have a number of appointments today and tomorrow.

[Agree to pay for the hunter] Most hunters are greedy and I don't think farmers stand a chance alone. I have a theory about this beast bu

• [Agree to pay for the hunter]

• On request of @AgentZ46 I present Garthon and Jenna... for Lucas i would need detailed description of the updated looks ^^'

http://i.imgur.com/WJrq00u.jpg Jenna's wound already healed some, therefore I made it a bit less bloodier.

http://i.imgur.com/NIvmtwa.jpg Garthon here is trying to keep poker face despite pain he is in... same as he was in the part, still able to talk after all that happened to his cheek.

• edited February 2016

Skyrim... the only one game that give me CTD, and so many bugs but hell yeah some quest become broken and was that every time I start to play, whatever after reinstall some mods it become more worse but now they are so many mods that fix bugs and ctd and much more that I can't even make a choice...

Mathea posted: »

On request of @AgentZ46 I present Garthon and Jenna... for Lucas i would need detailed description of the updated looks ^^' http://i.imgu

• Thank you very much for these, they look amazing! Also, they look pretty much how I have imagined them. I especially love Garthon's facial expression. By the way, I've just sent you an updated description of Lucas :D

On request of @AgentZ46 I present Garthon and Jenna... for Lucas i would need detailed description of the updated looks ^^' http://i.imgu

• Awesome!

• I'm impressed with these pictures. I like how dark the atmosphere is where they are. Jenna looks like she is at the tavern where Ilish works (I forget the name) and Garthon is in Harrenhal's dungeons.

Although for some reason I always imagined Jenna with a blonde ponytail even though she doesn't have blonde hair. Other than that she's exactly the way I imagined her.

• I rise from the dead... again. I haven't forgotten about this lol

[Decline to pay for the hunter]

• Glad you like them guys! And here i present you our poor Lucas without an eye and ear..

http://i.imgur.com/ugdhcAg.jpg

• Badass³

Glad you like them guys! And here i present you our poor Lucas without an eye and ear.. http://i.imgur.com/ugdhcAg.jpg

• Survivor!

Xemnes posted: »

Badass³

Vaasrand sounds just like a proper Witcher!

• :D Lucas looks so cool!

Glad you like them guys! And here i present you our poor Lucas without an eye and ear.. http://i.imgur.com/ugdhcAg.jpg

Never good to overspend. Besides, the whole situation seems a bit off to me... better safe than sorry.

• The Voting is closed!

Richard is going to decline to pay for the hunter

That was probably a foresighted choice, as the money can unarguably be useful for the Harkings in the long run. However, there is always the possibility that it would have been wiser to invest it into this hunter they plan to hire. There will be consequences, probably not in this chapter, but in the ones to follow.

The next part is going to be out later today. I had little time to write in the past two days, as I had a couple of appointments, but the writing for the next part is making good progress and I am positive that I will manage to finish it very soon. It is going to be a Drent part, the first in months. It has been a long absence for him, justified since I first wanted to write the latest parts of Willfred's and Jenna's storyline, but he's finally back now. From the other storylines you already know that he and the rest of the Stormlanders have finally arrived in Raylansfair, which is where the next part will start.

• edited February 2016

Drent

When it came to Argella, there was one thing even Garen had to admit: She knew how to make an entrance. Around noon, the soldiers had left the baggage train behind and made their way to Raylansfair. They had reached the city an hour later. While fifty soldiers weren't much, they were walking in rows of three, which made their comparatively small host look larger in size and impressive, even more so as every single soldier was wearing heavy armour. Every fifth row contained one soldier with a drum and their rhythmic beating accompanied the march.

Argella herself was leading the soldiers. She was the only one sitting on a horse, a gorgeous white destrier. Unlike the rest of her army, she was wearing a fine dress, made out of yellow silk, as well as a black cloak to protect herself from the cold. The pale light of the autumn sun made her look even more beautiful than usual in Drent's eyes, more similar to the gods her family descended from.

To her right marched Ser Emphryus Dresfel, wearing armour that was heavy even compared to the outfit of the soldiers. During the entire march, Drent noticed that the knights hand never left the hilt of his sword, as if he was just waiting for a chance to fight. The anticipating grin on his face only strengthened this impression.

To her left marched Sergeant Montclair, holding the banner of House Durrandon in his hands. The sergeant had been most vocal against Argella's plan to simply approach the city, even more as soon as he learned that she intended to be on horseback while doing so. He had called it dangerous, reckless and irresponsible, mentioning how easy it would be to simply kill her with a single arrow.

No one had dared to stop them at the southern gate, something that came as a pleasant surprise for Drent. Sure, the Stormlanders probably looked intimidating in the eyes of the peasantry, but he had thought that at least the city guard would be better than that. Instead of experienced soldiers, he only saw half-grown boys with big eyes full of fear, holding weapons that were too tall for them.

Drent was marching in the second row, between Torrence and Edonia Bernile and right behind Argella. Like the rest of the soldiers, they were wearing heavy armour, a fact that Edonia was visibly displeased about. The way she was breathing was enough for Drent to realize that the armour was too heavy for her. Nonetheless, if she had any complaints, she kept them for herself as good as possible.

Torrence was a different case altogether. Ever since Argella had humiliated him about a week ago, he had been put under a lot of stress, especially since word of his actions had gotten around. While Drent never participated in these things, the other soldiers took every opportunity to mock the young man for his actions. Garen had proven himself to be especially vicious in his mockery, despite the fact that he himself had very good reason to keep his head down.

Speaking about Garen, as much as he disliked the sellsword, Drent still wasn't happy about the way things were between them right now. At the campfire he had been foolish enough to reveal to him that he had told Argella about his opinion on her. It got only worse after the princess had demanded to talk to him the next morning. Drent wasn't sure about the outcome of these talks, but Garen had been in a sour mood ever since and kept his distance.

Edonia let out a tired gasp as she put a hand onto the uncomfortably heavy pauldron. Drent threw a glance at her face, barely visible underneath her heavy helmet but obviously reddened from the exertion and then past her, looking at the hollow, frightened faces of the smallfolk that had gathered at both sides of the main street. Some of them were praying, silently as well as loudly, though most were quiet. Mothers were clinging onto their children, their eyes widely opened in shock.

Meanwhile, the children seemed to be less scared the younger they got. The faces of the youngest simply showed amazement as they saw the soldiers and even more as they spotted Argella. None of them had ever seen a princess before and their overjoyed reactions proved to Drent that they had no idea how dangerous this situation was.

Argella was visibly enjoying the attention she currently got. She wasn't necessarily enjoying the angry glares some of the older men shot at her, but the smile on her face as she looked at the children seemed to be genuine. To her credit, she wasn't just coldly staring at the street in front of her, but Drent doubted that her seeming friendliness was enough to calm the scared smallfolk down.

He followed her gaze and noticed that her smile immediately faded as it fell upon a young boy. He couldn't be older than ten and the dirty tunic he was wearing was revealing his emaciated body. Tears were streaming down his gaunt face and for the first time since they arrived in Raylansfair, Argella had a look of concern on her face. She leant down towards Ser Emphryus and started to whisper something into his ear.

The knight threw her a surprised look. “My princess, are you sure that would be wise?”, he asked loudly. She gave him a nod. “As soon as the baggage train arrives of course”, she answered calmly, before her smile reappeared. “The people should know about my intentions, don't you agree? Let's show them they have nothing to fear”

Drent noticed something else. While the path in front of them was clear, there were people who seemed to rush away from them. As expected, some of the smallfolk were looking for protection behind the walls of the castle. He sent a silent prayer to the Seven that the castellan of Raylansfair was wise enough to let them in, because if these hundreds of people would be trapped between the closed gate and the approaching army, a violent panic would be the least of their concerns.

“It surely is a lovely city, isn't it?”, Edonia gasped and pulled him out of his thoughts. She was breathing heavily underneath her armour and Drent felt pity for her. Even he suffered underneath the weight of his armour and unlike her, he was used to wearing similar attire. The helmet made things only worse, as it limited their field of view, while also limiting the amount of fresh air they were able to breath.

“Lovely wouldn't be the word I'd use, sis. This city is dirty”, Torrence growled. “The streets are dirty, the houses are dirty, the people are especially dirty. Clean it up nicely and it'd look alright, but the way it is? Anything but lovely, don't be naive” Edonia let out a sigh. “No need to be a jackass about it, Torrence”, she answered and looked at Drent. “So, what do you think?”

“I'd rather not take a side in this argument”, Drent answered. “It's not horribly ugly, but I've seen better” It was true, the city itself wasn't exactly impressive. Yet at the same time, Torrence was a tiny bit too hard on Raylansfair. Drent was sure, in the right light the city would look quaint and cosy. Though the current aura of anger and fear that surrounded them wasn't exactly speaking in its favour.

“I'm sure it has its lovely sides”, Edonia argued. “I've heard about a fair on the other side of the city. Perhaps we could check it out while we're not on duty” Drent gave her a nod, while Torrence only shrugged. “And why should we do that?”, he asked sullenly. His sister let out a sigh. “If everything works out according to plan, we're going to be here for a while. It can't hurt to see what Raylansfair has to offer”

“Eh, whatever. Maybe I'm checking it out...”, Torrence mumbled. “But I certainly don't need you to hold my hand, Edonia. You'd just use such an opportunity for one of your damn archery arguments, wouldn't you?” Before Edonia could answer, Montclair glanced over his shoulder, “Silence back there”, he growled shortly, immediately preventing any further argument. The only sound Drent heard during the rest of their journey up the road to the castle was the rhytmic beating of the drums and his heart.

As soon as the gates of the castle were visible in the distance, Drent had to sigh in relief. The gates were open, the smallfolk was inside and a panic was likely averted. Of course this didn't mean that everything was fine, but it was one thing less he had to worry about.

The soldiers atop the walls were still a problem of course. While the Stormlanders slowly approached, Drent counted about two dozen of them. To his surprise, he noticed that they weren't commanded by a man, but by a young woman, not older than Argella, with fair skin and light brown hair.

“That is close enough!”, she yelled, her voice revealing both, her youth and her nervousness. Argella looked at the open gate, before she looked back to the young commander. Then, she provokingly took another step with her horse, before she stopped. “Ser Emphryus, please”, she ordered.

The knight cleared his throat, before he loudly started to announce them. “You stand in front of Princess Argella of House Durrandon, daughter and heiress of Argilac, Storm King!”, he proclaimed and Drent noticed how the commander momentarily lost control of her facial expression, as a look of pure shock flashed over it.

“We intend no harm”, Argella proclaimed and took another step with her horse. “We're only here to...” She immediately stopped as soon as the soldier next to the commander, a young man with slightly tanned skin and dark, curly hair, raised his bow. “Federico, the next time Lady Argella's horse moves forward without my order, kill it”, the commander ordered and the soldier gave her a nod.

Argella glanced over her shoulder, a look that was equal parts baffled and impressed on her face, before she regained her composure. “Are you threatening the princess?”, Dresfel growled. The commander shook her head. “I'm simply following my orders”, she answered. “No foreign soldier enters this castle, unless Lord Harris or Lord Tyrell allow it”

“Harlen is here?”, Argella asked. “This is going to make things a lot easier. I know him and he is a lovely person. I doubt there are going to be any problems” The commander shrugged. “Maybe, Princess. But as long as I don't get an order, you're going to stay here”, she answered. “And if Lord Tyrell does not wish to speak to you, then you will turn around and leave this city”

“She's got some guts”, Torrence whispered. For a moment, it looked as if Argella would give her troops an order. Then, before she could say anything, another soldier appeared on the walls, obviously out of breath, as he leaned in to whisper something into the commander's ears. The young woman's eyes widened. “All of them?”, she asked and the soldier gave her a nod. Finally, she sighed in defeat. “Lord Tyrell is making a mistake”, she mumbled and looked at her soldiers. “Lower your weapons. The Stormlanders are our guests!”

Her words drew displeased murmur from the soldiers, but one by one, they indeed lowered their weapons. A pleased smile formed on Argella's face, as she started to ride into the courtyard. Sergeant Montclair raised his hand, ordering the soldiers to move, as he followed her.

The courtyard itself was larger than Drent expected, although it was no comparison to Storm's End of course. The fifty soldiers filled out only tiny portion of it, but Drent easily saw that they still outnumbered the castle guard. Together with Torrence and Edonia, he kept close to Argella, Ser Emphryus and Sergeant Montclair, awaiting further orders.

Accompanied by two of her guards, the commander approached them and as she came closer, Drent noticed that she was quite pretty. Having a young woman like her as the commander of such a garrison was odd, but she had handled the situation well enough to prevent a catastrophe.

“Princess Argella, allow me to welcome you in Raylansfair. My name is Nora Recton, captain of the castle guard”, she greeted her and helped her down the destrier. “Please, forgive my earlier hostility” Even though the apology sounded forced, the Storm Princess gave her a forgiving nod. “It's all fine, Captain. You had your orders and I respect that”, she answered and quickly handed her the reins of her horse. “Please, could you make sure that my horse is brought to the stables? It's a good animal and I'd appreciate if you or your men could take good care of it during my stay”

Nora pressed her lips together, but forced herself to nod, as she handed the reins to the guardsman to her right. “Bring the princess' horse to the stables”, she ordered, before she looked back at Argella. “Princess, Lord Harlen Tyrell wishes to speak to you. He and his men have gathered in the Great Hall, together with a number of concerned citizens. I have orders to lead you to him”

“I need one moment”, Argella answered, before she looked at Dresfel. “Ser Emphyrus, when do you think our baggage train should arrive here?” The knight opened his mouth, but closed it immediately, as he visibly thought about an answer. “I... am not sure, my princess...”, he stuttered. Instead, Montclair answered. “It should be here any minute. Do you wish for anything specific, my princess?”

“Indeed”, Argella confirmed, before she glanced past him, to the gate, where the last of her soldiers had just entered the gate. “Tariel!”, she called her supposed advisor. “Lady Tariel, please come over here. This concerns you as well”

As Tariel approached them, Drent saw that she looked around anxiously. He knew that it had been years for her since she had last been in Raylansfair and from the expression on her face, he concluded that not all of her memories about this place were pleasant. She was wearing a green dress and a long, hooded cloak of the same colour and even as she approached the princess, she made no attempt at actually removing the hood. Next to her walked Garen, considerably calmer, with a look of smug indifference on his face. Tariel kept close to him, but the sellsword didn't actually seem to pay any attention to her.

“Yes, my princess?”, Tariel asked and Drent noticed that her voice was slightly shivering. Argella either did not notice her anxiety, or she chose to ignore it, since she continued without even mentioning it. “Lady Tariel, I assume you know this city quite well”, she stated.

Even though she didn't seem to expect an answer, Tariel opened her mouth regardless. “Growing up in a city usually involves knowing it quite well”, she answered. “So yes, it has been a while, but I recognize everything...”

“The poverty as well?”, Argella asked. “After we arrived here, I saw something which I'm afraid is unacceptable. I take it you noticed that there are starving children out on the streets, yes?” Tariel gave her a reluctant nod. “There has always been poverty in Raylansfair”, she confirmed. “Not as bad as in some other places though”

“Still unacceptable”, Argella decided. “Sadly, there is not much we can do right now, aside from proving our good will. You know this city. More importantly, you know the areas that are most affected by poverty. I want you to take the food from our baggage train and share it with those who need it the most”

Her words took Tariel by surprise. Her green eyes widened as a hint of worry flashed across her beautiful face. “My... my princess, if that's your wish, then I'll follow”, she stuttered. “But... but do I have to do it alone?”

Argella let out a sigh and her mouth formed into a rare, kind smile. “You misunderstand my intentions. I don't want to humiliate you, I simply choose you because you know this city the best”, she explained. “Of course you don't have to go alone. Take Sergeant Montclair with you. And... three more soldiers, one of them should be Drent. I think this is good work for him” While she said this, she wasn't even looking at Drent, which slightly irritated him.

While Montclair simply saluted, Garen shook his head. “My princess, with all due respect, but are you sure this is a wise idea?”, he asked. Argella looked over at him, as if she had just realized that he was standing there as well. “You want to say?”, she asked sharply. Garen sighed. “The food in our baggage train belongs to us. These people out there are not us and we have no obligations to them”

This time, Argella raised her eyebrow and gave him a mildly irritated glare. “Does it make them any less hungry?”, she asked and Garen shook his head. “They are peasants, my princess, they will always be hungry. Once they have accepted your father as their rightful ruler, we can consider feeding them, but until then, let them starve. Promise them food when they support House Durrandon, it'll make them more open for the idea. I disapprove of just giving it away”

“Your disapproval has been noted”, Argella stated. As Garen opened his mouth again, she cut him off. “Garen, just stop”, she hissed coldly. “I think I gave you enough chances not to look like a... Ser Emphryus, what is the word I'm looking for?”

“I believe you just meant to call him a selfish fucking asshole, my princess”, the knight answered and Argella gave him a nod. “Garen, I think I gave you enough chances not to look like a... deeply unpleasant person”, she explained. “There's no need to make me dislike you even more, so I suggest that I go back to simply ignoring you, while you go back to follow my orders without question, do you understand?”

“I understand”, Garen growled. A pleased smirk flashed over Argella's face, as she glanced to Ser Emphryus and Captain Nora. “Captain, I'm ready to meet Lord Tyrell now”, she said. “Emphryus, you'll be at my side” With these words, she left the group and approached the Great Hall, followed by Dresfel and Nora.

She left a highly irritated Garen behind. The sellsword was breathing heavily, as he opened and closed his fists. “This.... child! Who does she think she is?”, he growled. Drent raised his eyebrows, but if was Montclair who answered. “The Storm Princess”, he stated dryly, before he looked at Drent. “Golton, you're going with me and Lady Tariel. Choose two soldiers to accompany you, then meet me at the gate” He offered his arm to Lady Tariel, who graciously accepted, before they both started to walk towards the castle's gate. As she passed him, Tariel threw a nervous smile at Garen, who still had a look of cold anger on his face.

“Then make your choice, Drentie”, he growled. “I'm going with you, you hear me? Someone needs to look after Tariel” Torrence chuckled at these words. “Careful, Garen. You almost seem concerned for her”, he grinned.

Edonia gave Drent a soft nudge on the upper arm, as she finally took her helmet off. “Seven Hells, archers shouldn't be forced to wear armour like this”, she sighed and closed her eyes as a refreshingly cold breeze momentarily played with her auburn hair. “So, Montclair gave you the choice, huh? Listen Drent, I still owe you for Torrence. Choose me and I'll have your back out there” She glanced at her brother and then at Garen. “And if you need a break from the sellsword, I'm sure Torrence would agree to accompany you as well”

In turn, Torrence gave her an annoyed nod. “Whatever you say, Edonia”, he hissed and looked at Drent. “Yeah, I guess I'd come with you, but I could do just fine without my sister” Edonia opened her mouth to say something, but this time, Garen cut her off. “Yeah, and I could do just fine without either of you. Drentie, I'm coming with you, period. This isn't even a choice”, he snarled.

“Technically, it is”, Edonia answered. “Montclair has been pretty clear about it. Drent can choose two of us to accompany him and he never specified that you should be one of these two” She looked at Drent and her cold look faded. “I'm fine with whatever you choose. Just do what you think is right”

[Choose Edonia and Torrence] [Choose Edonia and Garen] [Choose Torrence and Garen]

• (Choose Edonia and Garen)

Drent When it came to Argella, there was one thing even Garen had to admit: She knew how to make an entrance. Around noon, the soldiers h

• [Choose Edonia and Garen]

Yeah... it's best to not put Edonia and Torrence together. Garen seems competent to go, and Edonia can keep a cool temper. Not to mention, I'd think she would be more useful than Torrence. Torrence will only bring problems if he comes, in my opinion at least, haha.

Drent When it came to Argella, there was one thing even Garen had to admit: She knew how to make an entrance. Around noon, the soldiers h

• [Choose Torrence and Garen] Neither of these two are exactly pleased with Drent but they'll be the most useful as Edonia is clearly struggling with her armor. Besides I like Garen and this gives Drent a chance to make amends. Not to mention I think they'll be the most interesting to have tag along. As long as we get at least Garen I think I'll be happy.

• [Choose Torrence and Garen] Maybe Jenna will run in to Argella since her and Sherryl are allies.

• Wait, you like Garen? That is interesting, because if I remember correctly, you found him a bit annoying at the end of the last chapter. May I ask, what changed your opinion about him?

AgentZ46 posted: »

[Choose Torrence and Garen] Neither of these two are exactly pleased with Drent but they'll be the most useful as Edonia is clearly struggli

Sign in to comment in this discussion.