Forum of Thrones: An Interactive Story

Comments

• [Look for another exit]

I can't say I'm surprised by Irving.

Lyria Lyria closed her eyes and the moment was gone. She forced herself to smile at Philip, who noticed that something was off. “So and..

• [Look for another exit]

[Look for another exit] I can't say I'm surprised by Irving.

• The Voting is closed!

Maya is going to look for another exit

This was another close vote and I'm going to close it now before it becomes a tie again. Also, since the next part makes good progress and is most likely going to be finished today, in a couple of hours. Anyways, Maya's next part is hopefully going to be rather intense. She's pretty tired by now, so there's no saying what tricks her mind is going to play on her. Or perhaps there's a bit more to this than just tricks. It's a bit hard to say what Maya saw down in the archive. Most likely it was nothing, right?

The next part is going to be out hopefully today. I still have a bit of writing to do and also a bit of other stuff, but currently I am writing rather fast, so there's a good chance that I'm going to finish it soon. This next part is going to feature PoV's from Ellena and Edrick. The last time we saw Ellena, she and Himani encountered a very strange man, who calls himself Roach, because he has an uncanny resemblance to the insect of the same name. He stole Ellena's letter, which she intended to deliver to Terroma, which caused her and Himani to follow him to his hideout, deep in the sewers of Oldtown. They confronted him and Roach gave the letter back on relatively good terms. However, before the two kids could leave, they were caught by the person they wanted to see the least down there. The Tom and his men have arrived at Roach's hideout, where it turned out that Roach is regularly forced to spy for Butterfly. Even though Ellena and Himani tried to escape, Himani got caught, while Ellena herself encountered Roach again, who offered to lead her to safety. She decided to trust him on this.

Meanwhile, far up in the North, Edrick had a meeting with Lord Boleyn, Alys' father, together with Alys' almost-betrothed Dante Karstark and his squire Darreth. There, Edrick learned that Lord Boleyn wants him, Dante and Darreth to search for Alys, who reportedly fled south. The last information he has is that she was spotted on the lands of Lionel Frostborn, a neighbour to Lord Boleyn and like him, sworn to House Karstark. Lord Frostborn sent a raven in which he offers to help, if Lord Boleyn helps him as well. Because of this, Boleyn wants to send the trio to Frostborn's lands, to find out what he wants and to hopefully find Alys as well. Edrick's next part is going to start on the morning of his departure from Boleyn's lands.

• Seriously, everytime you announce that the voting's closed I hope that you say that the next part will feature an Edrick POV. XD

The Voting is closed! Maya is going to look for another exit This was another close vote and I'm going to close it now before it becom

• Ellena

Tears formed in Ellena's eyes, as she ran after Roach. It was dark around her and she was barely able to see the hunched figure in front of her. Mostly, she followed the smell. Roach led her through the sewers deep below the city and usually, Ellena would have taken care that she did not step into anything. Right now, she did not care. All she felt was fear, as well as shame for abandoning her friend.

There was nothing she could have done. There were at least a dozen of these people, maybe even more, not counting the giant. They had weapons. They wanted to kill her and Himani. She should have been thankful to get out of there alive. There was nothing she could have done. She should have done more.

“This way”, Roach hissed and suddenly, almost blinding daylight shined through the gap of an iron door, which the strange man had slightly opened. “Ellena issafe now. Cats don't come to this part of the city, only rats and roaches”

The light that shined through the gap illuminated their surroundings and Ellena saw that Roach had a stupidly wide grin on his face. She shot him a glare of sorrow, before she walked towards the iron door, fully pushing it open.

For a moment, the light took her sight and she put her hands in front her eyes, before she adjusted to it. She was standing on a small backyard between two houses, both of them four stories high. The tiny remains of her sense of smell told her that her surroundings stank horribly and as she glanced down, she realized that she had ruined her shoes.

Roach entered the backyard behind her and closed the door. He took a deep breath and let out a chuckle. “Wonderful!”, he yelled. “We made it, yes, yes!” He wanted to say something else, but Ellena turned around and heavily slapped him in the face. Of course, heavily might stretch it a bit, but she used all of her strength and Roach stumbled backwards, perhaps more out of shock than out of genuine pain. His eerily large eyes seemed larger than ever, as he put a hand onto his cheek, his smile gone, replaced by a look of surprise.

“What happened down there?”, Ellena yelled at him, while tears streamed down her face. “What happened down there? Why?” Roach staggered back from her and looked at her as if she had just hit a puppy. She felt bad, but not only for this.

“Please, don't hurt Roach”, Roach begged her and went down onto his knees. “Roach is sorry!” She raised her hand again, but stopped herself. Instead, she crouched down and put her face down into her arms, as she started to cry. This wasn't supposed to happen. This was not how it was supposed to be! “Why was the Tom down there?”, she asked bitterly, between two sobs.

Roach sighed. “Roach sees a lot of things”, he answered. “Not many people see Roach. Or they don't want to see him” He paused for a moment and as Ellena looked up, she saw that he was avoiding to even look at her. In his own way, she realized, Roach was deeply ashamed at what just happened. “The Tom, he sees Roach”, he mumbled. “He forces Roach to tell him everything. But he's a cat, this one. Unpredictable and cruel. I... Roach can never say when he comes and when he leaves” He stopped again. “Roach is sorry. Roach likes Himani and he never, never wanted this to happen”

Ellena just shook her head. “What is going to happen to him?”, she asked and Roach sighed. “Ellena does not want to know”, he answered. “Ellena can sleep better if she does not know it” He rose again and finally, she rose as well. “Roach is going to bring Ellena wherever she wants”, he offered. “Out of the city, or maybe into one of the nice parts. But they don't want Roach there, so we have to sneak in...”

“Ragpycker's Wynd”, Ellena just said. “There's a butcher's shop. A friend of mine lives there and I need to bring him the letter you... stole” Again, Roach looked at her as if she had hit him. “Roach is not a thief”, he hissed. “No one can prove it, no one can punish Roach” He shook his head as he walked past her. “Come now, Ellena. The Wynd is not far, but the streets can be tricky”

And so she followed him again, out of the backyard and into a street that barely deserved the name. Hunched people, wearing nothing but rags, sat on the ground. They ignored Roach, but they outstretched their hands into Ellena's direction, begging her for money she did not have. She realized, her clothes might be dirty from her time in the sewers, but they were still better than anything these people owned. She wasn't sure if she should regret the fact that she hadn't brought any gold with her, or be glad about it.

One thing she was glad about was the fact that she had Roach with her. What happened in the sewers was upsetting. She was mad at him without a doubt, but at the same time, she found it hard to hold him responsible for it. She was mad at herself as well, for her cowardice. Back then, with these masked monsters chasing after her, she had zoned out, switched into a place deep in her mind, where she told herself that she would not die today. But now... she was worried for Himani beyond words.

Roach turned around a corner and as Ellena followed him, she was greeted by a familiar sight. Ragpycker's Wynd was one of the most shabby parts of the city. The houses stood so close that even now, while the sun was still shining, a gloomy twilight ruled the ground. The butcher's shop was in the middle of the... street and Ellena approached it, with Roach walking next to her.

“Thank you, Roach”, she forced herself to say and the man smiled widely. “It was nothing”, he answered. “Roach behaved wrong. Roach makes amends” She gulped. “That's one way of putting it”, she answered.

Before she could knock on the door, something unexpected happened. A small group of people entered the alleyway through the other side. She counted three of them and at first, she tensed up as she expected Alley Cats.

Two of them were men. On the left walked an old man, a maester, as she realized. They had no maester in Braavos, but she had heard tales about them and recognized the chain around his neck. It shimmered even in the dim light that found its way through the narrow roofs, which clued her in that this chain was consisting entirely of Valyrian Steel. The man itself was less remarkable than his chain, thin and old, with pasty, pale skin and hair of a dull, grey colour.

The man on the right was more remarkable. He was tall, with the thick arms and broad shoulders of a fighter. His hair was bright red and so was his beard, which reached down almost to his belly. On his back, he was wearing a huge, two-handed battleaxe.

The person in the middle was a woman. Like the man to her right, she had red hair, though in her case it was a dark red colour, something that almost looked unnatural. If it would have been just a shade darker, she would have been convinced that it was dyed. She was beautiful, stunningly so, her body hidden underneath a dress in the same ruby colour as her hair. Her skin was olive, like Ellena's, but her eyes had a strangely reddish brown colour to them. She was a Red Priestess, as Ellena realized. They had Red Priests in Braavos and all of them were wearing clothes in this colour.

“Good evening”, the woman said in a warm tone and gave Ellena and Roach a nod. The red-haired man seemed confused as he spotted Roach, while the Maester simply sighed in a sorrowful tone. “Noelle, is this really necessary?”, he asked and the priestess smiled at him, before she shifted her attention back towards Ellena. “Ellena Terys, I presume?”

The fact that this woman knew her name caught Ellena off guard. It even terrified her for some reason. “Who are you?”, she asked. The woman's smile got a bit warmer. “My name is Noelle”, she introduced herself. “These are Marak and Wulvren. We need your help and would like of you to accompany us”

There was something, perhaps just the subtle shaking of Maester Wulvren's head, that clued Ellena in that this woman had no good intentions. She didn't even need to hear her reason. She just shook her head. “No”, she answered and backed away from her. Noelle sighed and momentarily, the warmth on her face faded. “Marak!”, she said sharply.

Ellena turned around, but before she was able to run away, the red-haired man blocked her patch. “Easy now, girlie”, he said. “Better do what the lady in red wants. She's a witch, you know” He reached a hand into her direction. “Come with me. Make this easy for both of-” The rest of his words turned into a pained gurgle, as Ellena swiftly kicked him between the legs. She spun around again, with the intention to rush straight through the priestess and the maester, but the very same moment, something hit the back of her head, heavily. She fell to the ground, hitting her head again, this time even worse. Dark spots started to dance in front of her eyes and she heard the man's curses only muffled. The woman was saying something as well, she was obviously displeased. “...kill her, Marak!”, she hissed. “....her alive!”

She saw that Roach had backed off towards the butcher's shop. He glanced at her, before he turned to the door and started to heavily slam both of his fists against the wood. “Help!”, he screamed. “Help! Help!” He turned around as the red-haired man approached him and let out a panicked scream. Before he ran off, he at least had the decency to give Ellena a worried look.

Ellena felt strong hands on her shoulders, preventing her from standing up. Not that she would have been able to do so. She knew, she was about to loose her consciousness. Still, she mustered enough strength to look up, into Maester Wulvren's face. “I am so sorry for this”, he mumbled. “But I can assure you, I will make sure that no more harm will befall you”

She wanted to answer, but no words managed to leave her mouth. The door got opened and she recognized the man that stood in the doorway. One hand was pressed onto his ribs, were a bloodied bandage lay. The other one firmly gripped a longsword. “What's going on here?”, Samuel Puffer yelled, as the red-haired man approached him, his axe in his hands. Only the priestess held him back. “It's Samuel, isn't it?”, she said with a deceptively sweet tone in her voice. Samuel glanced past her and spotted Ellena. His eyes widened as he recognized her. “Samuel, I have a message for the man that is living with you”, the priestess chirped. “I would like to meet him...”

It was the last thing Ellena heard, before she drifted into unconsciousness...

No Choices for this part

Edrick

It was early in the morning, when Edrick was woken up by the sound of someone knocking onto his door. It was a heavy, impatient knock and it only left him enough time to put on his trousers, before he dragged himself towards the door. He opened it only for a small gap and looked into the face of Lord Boleyn's master-at-arms, Norren Snow. The older man gave him a polite nod. “Good morning, Ser Edrick”, he greeted him. “It is about time. Ser Dante is already down in the courtyard and prepares the horses. His squire preferred to sleep”

“His squire can hear you, by the way”, a second voice sounded from behind him. Darreth stood a few feet down the hallway, leaning against the wall. He gave Edrick a friendly nod. The past evening, even after Dante and Edrick had long since gone to sleep, he had been sitting in the Great Hall together with Lord Boleyn. Considering the fact that he had gotten a lot less sleep than Edrick, he was looking good. Still, deep circles underneath his eyes hinted at his tiredness.

“Get yourself dressed, Ser Edrick”, Norren ordered him, while Darreth only yawned. The yawn was contagious and Edrick followed his example, before he closed the door again, to put on his shirt and heavy boots. Most of his belongings were still resting in two large bags which he hadn't even bothered to unpack. Considering the cold, he put on his light grey gambeson above his shirt.

All of this took him less than two minutes, but when he opened the door again, Norren gave him a look as if he had let him wait for hours. He clapped his hands and two young boys appeared. “Carry Ser Edrick's belongings down into the courtyard, carefully”, he ordered them, before he looked from Edrick to Darreth. “Follow me”

With these words, he turned around and walked down the hallway. Darreth looked after him, before he gave Edrick a warm handshake. “Today's our big day then, huh?”, he greeted him with a grin. Edrick shook his head, though he reciprocated the grin. “I don't expect to find Lady Alys today”, he answered. “Or tomorrow. Truth be told, I think our chances are slim in general”

“I'm telling you, we're going to make it”, Darreth said, as they walked through a door and out of the building. Down a narrow set of stairs, Norren led them into the courtyard, where Dante was tending to his horse, a beautiful black destrier. Edrick's own horse, while a fine animal in its own right, looked common and rather shabby next to it. Both animals, as well as Darreth's lithe mare, were already saddled and ready to go. The two boys whom Norren had ordered to carry Edrick's belongings weaseled their way past them and quickly approached the horses.

Barroth Boleyn himself stood near the stables. The lord looked in much better spirits than the day before. He approached Edrick with a smile and gave him a pat on the shoulder. “My friend”, he greeted him. “I wish you the best of luck on your journey”

“Of course you do”, Edrick said with a smile, as he gave the lord a handshake. “After all, it's going to be me who brings your daughter back home” Boleyn sighed. “If you find her, I'm going to make you the richest hedge knight north of the Neck”, he muttered.

With these words, he personally helped Edrick to climb his horse, while Darreth nearly jumped onto his. “You ready, Dante?”, he asked and the other man shook his head. “I'm about to go on a journey to search for the woman that ran away because she got betrothed to me”, he sighed.

Darreth said nothing. Instead, he reached down towards one of his saddlebags and pulled out a small flask, which he handed to his knight. “That, my brother, is why the gods gave us alcohol”, he revealed. Thankfully, Dante took a gulp from the flask and grimaced slightly at the strong taste. “Maybe I'm going to need a lot of this when we find Lady Alys”, he answered. “Or nothing at all. Haven't decided yet”

Edrick smirked at this exchange, before he looked at Lord Boleyn. “My daughter, Ser Edrick”, the lord said. “Bring her back” He and Edrick exchanged one last handshake. “I give you my word, mylord”, he promised. Dante and Boleyn nodded at each other without saying a word and with this, the trio slowly rode through the gate of the keep.

Edrick looked at the long road in front of him and sighed. It was quite the task that lay ahead, but the reward was more than appropriate. And at least, they had a lead. “Frostborn's lands it is then”, he declared. “Onwards, to... does anyone know the way?”

Darreth chuckled and gave him a nod. “We follow the southwestern road for two days, maybe three if the weather gets worse. It's going to lead us to Frostborn”, he explained. Edrick softly patted his horse. “Do you know anything about him?”, he asked, directing the question towards Dante.

The young man shook his head. “I met him once and that was over a decade ago”, he explained. “Back then, I was one out of a dozen young Karstark kids, so I doubt I left much of an impression. Similarly, I can't really remember him, aside from the fact that it was the last time he came to Karhold”

“I know a bit more”, Darreth proclaimed. “They say the whole family is one of skinchangers. They also say that they are a bit too close to Bolton lands. And by night, they take the form of wolves and hunt human prey in the forests”

“And Lord Frostborn is probably a Grumkin, right?”, Edrick replied, which caused Darreth to raise an eyebrow in amusement. Dante shook his head, though he couldn't contain a grin. “Lionel Frostborn rarely leaves his keep these days, that's all I know. Apparently, there has been an incident with one of his sons”, he explained. “My sister has always been interested in this sort of thing. I bet she could tell us more. Sadly, she's halfway to Winterfell by now”

“You have a sister?”, Edrick asked and Darreth gave him a nod. “Hells yeah, he got a sister”, he chuckled. “I wonder if she already misses me” Dante gave him a playful punch towards the shoulder, which was enough to shut the squire up. “Yes, I have a sister, an older one by two years”, he answered. “Her name is Malina. She's currently accompanying my uncle to Winterfell”

“Your only sibling?”, Edrick asked again. He figured, it couldn't hurt to get to know his companions a bit better. Dante gave him a nod. “My mother died young and my father never had any more children”, he answered. Edrick shrugged. “Well, it's never too late for that. An uncle of mine impregnated a girl when he was way in his sixties” Dante shook his head and his earlier smile faded, replaced by deep sadness. “That won't be possible”, he said thoughtfully. “My father died a few years ago”

Edrick had the opinion that he heard a sigh of relief from the knight, when a sudden distraction came out of the forrest they were approaching. Edrick remembered the young man with the auburn hair and guilt flashed across his face. “Leo”, he greeted him. “Have you been waiting here the whole night?”

Leo gave him a nod. “It was too dark to return yesterday. Besides, you asked of me to stay”, he answered, before he took a short bow in front of the three riders. “Greetings, by the way. It's an honour, Ser Edrick, Ser Dante” Darreth furrowed his brows. “I can't recall that we ever met”, he answered slowly.

“Listen, Leo, I am very sorry. It has been a long evening yesterday. Lots of important planning”, Edrick said, still feeling guilty that he kept him waiting the whole night. “Me and my companions are going to search for Lord Boleyn's daughter”

Leo gave him a nod. “I figured that much. The whole village is worried for her”, he answered. “In fact, that was one of the reasons I decided to stay. I would like to propose something” He paused for a moment and bit his lower lip. “Ser Edrick, I would like to accompany you on your journey”

“Accompanying me?”, Edrick said in surprise. “That's a bit sudden, Leo” The young hunter sighed. “I know”, he answered. “Though I guess you'll find my help invaluable” This sentence sparked the interest of Dante, who leant forwards in his saddle. “How exactly?”, he asked in curiosity.

A proud smirk flashed across Leo's face. “Ser Dante, have you ever met Lady Alys? Has either of you met her?” As the three men shook their head, he continued. “Please then. Describe her to me, with every detail you know”

“She's... young. Seventeen, if I'm not mistaken. Light brown hair, green eyes. She's supposed to be pretty”, Dante said, visibly hesitating. Leo gave him a nod. “You just described ten thousand girls from here to Dorne”, he answered. “That's the kind of help I can offer. I know how she looks. I'm not claiming to know her better than anyone, but for sure better than either of you” He glanced at the forest. “Aside from that, I am a hunter. I know how to survive out here, how to follow a trail, how to find food and shelter even in the deepest wilderness”

“I see”, Edrick answered. “The decision is not up to me alone. Any objections?” He looked towards his companions. Dante shook his head. “I see nothing that speaks against it, though I'd trust your judgement”, he said. Darreth simply shrugged. “This is one of the occasions where I'm glad that I'm a mere squire”, he answered. “I don't think the decision should be mine to make. Like Dan said, it's your call”

[Take Leo with you] [Leave Leo behind]

• [Take Leo with you] Hell yeah! One more bro for the roadtrip! :D

Oh, and Marak, Wulvren and Noelle arriving totally caught me off guard - even if we knew they were after Ellena.

Ellena Tears formed in Ellena's eyes, as she ran after Roach. It was dark around her and she was barely able to see the hunched figure in

• (Take Leo with you)

Ellena Tears formed in Ellena's eyes, as she ran after Roach. It was dark around her and she was barely able to see the hunched figure in

• [Take Leo with you] Part of me thinks Leo might be trouble as he seems to have a low opinion of Dante. Though I think it's mostly based on rumors. But he could be useful. Plus he's one more character for Darreth to banter with. :p

I'm really worried for Ellena. I really liked that part as I got a completely different vibe from Marak from Ellena's perspective. He seemed scary and dangerous, which he is but still.

I'm really looking forward to Edrick's future parts, for obvious reasons. Loved the Malina reference and Darreth's comment.

One possible thing I'm looking forward too from our group of Northeners is an encounter with Alisa Karstark, I think it'd be really interesting.

I'm wondering what Edrick and co would do if Alys refused to go with them.

So, overall this was a great part. I loved it. :)

• [Leave Leo behind] Just because we're totally fine alone.

• [Take Leo with you]

• [Take Leo with you]

• [Take Leo with you]

Leo have a valid point, those guys could simply walk next to her and not recognize her... anyway I think he likes her as well, so lets take him to find her!

• I must admit that I've not expect that Ellena will be capture so soon!XD (btw I always like when different PoV's encounter each other!XD I'm sure that I will love the next chapter!)

[Take Leo with you] Even if take him with us can probably cause some problems (I mean,I'm not the only one that think Leo has some feelings for Alys right?) I always like have a big party during a quest XD (plus I think that even if we left Leo behind he will continue follow us)

• [Take Leo with you] We don't know that much about him yet but I think he deserves a chance. As long as they find Alys some help could do.

• [Take Leo with you]

• [Take Leo with you]

AgentZ46 posted: »

[Take Leo with you] Part of me thinks Leo might be trouble as he seems to have a low opinion of Dante. Though I think it's mostly based on r

• Part of me thinks Leo might be trouble as he seems to have a low opinion of Dante. Though I think it's mostly based on rumors. But he could be useful. Plus he's one more character for Darreth to banter with. :p

Indeed, Leo's opinion on Dante is not the best. However, he previously admitted to Edrick that he actually knows nothing about Dante, so his low opinion is a result of him not having a distrust towards this complete stranger. Travelling together might open opportunities to change this opinion. At least he's going to add an interesting dynamic to the group.

I'm really worried for Ellena. I really liked that part as I got a completely different vibe from Marak from Ellena's perspective. He seemed scary and dangerous, which he is but still.

Keep that vibe in mind! This is something I really want to put a lot of emphasis on in the next chapter. It's important to remember that Marak is not only the occasional comic relief PoV, he's also a ruthless sellsword who outright confirmed that he has no problem with killing a child and, if you remember his vision in Chapter 1, an unrepentant kinslayer. From his own PoV, he mostly comes across as alright, but other PoV's paint him in a different light, as seen with Ellena in this part.

I'm really looking forward to Edrick's future parts, for obvious reasons. Loved the Malina reference and Darreth's comment.

Ah yes, Malina :) I currently plan to introduce her in the very early Book 2, where more locations in the North are going to be important. Until then, I figured it makes sense for Dante and Darreth to occasionally mention her, similar to how Alys and Alisa mentioned Dante in the previous chapters.

One possible thing I'm looking forward too from our group of Northeners is an encounter with Alisa Karstark, I think it'd be really interesting.

Yes, this would be an interesting meeting for sure. It hasn't been revealed yet how Dante feels about her, but of course he knew her when he was younger and her actions influenced his whole house, so his opinion is definitely going to be complicated.

I'm wondering what Edrick and co would do if Alys refused to go with them.

Edrick and Darreth haven't put that much thought into such a possibility. Dante on the other hand has thought ahead and it was part of the reason why his mood wasn't that great in this part. If Edrick's group truly finds her and she refuses to come with them... well, save to say they are going to be pissed. Dante is mentally preparing himself for such a worst-case scenario, but Edrick and Darreth's reaction might be unpredictable.

So, overall this was a great part. I loved it. :)

This is great to hear! It appears I'm writing Dante and Darreth correctly, which makes me very happy. Both of them are rather complex to write, so I'm glad you enjoy them.

AgentZ46 posted: »

[Take Leo with you] Part of me thinks Leo might be trouble as he seems to have a low opinion of Dante. Though I think it's mostly based on r

• [Take Leo with you]

Great part!!

• The Voting is closed!

Edrick is going to take Leo with him

This was a pretty clear vote in favour of giving Leo a chance. It's also an option I am very happy with because, for the better or the worse, Leo is going to add a few interesting parts to Edrick's storyline. The dynamic between these characters is something I'm really looking forward for in the next chapter. Certainly, Leo is going to be a useful addition, but that does not mean that everything will be easy between him and the other group members.

The next part is going to be out today. It is going to be a Lucas part. The last time we saw Lucas, he and Leonard encountered the hedge knight Ian Shortwood, who saved them from a group of thugs that were apparently ordered by someone to kill them. Accompanied by Ian, our knights made their way to the castle, where they encountered Harris, as well as Darren Tallwood. The initial welcome was cold, to say the least, especially as Lucas signalized to Harris that they know what he did. While Harris, Leonard and Ian walked ahead across the courtyard of the castle, Lucas and Darren walked behind and talked. Darren, having noticed Lucas' odd behaviour, revealed that he already has some suspicions against Harris. This in turn prompted Lucas to reveal the truth to him, which is where the next part is going to start.

And now, behold, a glorious shout-out. There's a new story in the forums and this time, it is one where I'm almost sure that you're going to be interested. Actually, some of you are already following the story and I figured, perhaps there are others as well who might be interested. It is written by @WildlingKing and it is named Nymeria's War. The name should already give a hint what it is about. Unfortunately, it is not a story about Arya's direwolf leading a giant pack of wolves into a fight against Lannister soldiers in the Riverlands, even though I'd read the shit out of such a story. Instead, the story has a similarly interesting premise. It is set in Dorne, about 400 years before the War of Conquest, shortly after the rhoynish princess Nymeria landed in Dorne and married Lord Mors Martell. During the time of the story, Dorne is not one united kingdom, but split into numerous petty kingdoms instead. Nymeria and her new dornish allies plan to change this, by uniting Dorne under their banner. The story has just started a few days ago, so there's not much catching up to do. Currently, WildlingKing has written a prologue and two parts and so far, the story is absolutely amazing and definitely deserves more readers. If you are interested, then you absolutely should follow this link, to check the story out for yourself.

• Thanks for the shout-out, mate! And funnily enough when I was coming up with the name for the story the same thought about Nymeria's pack of wolves crossed my mind :D

Anywho, something I didn't say when I voted but came to my mind later was that Leo would have probably followed us anyway, it was said that he is good at tracking.

And what comes to the next part, I'm definitely looking forward to it, Lucas is one of the most interesting characters atm. Damn, just remembered Aylard... wonder if we're seeing him on this part.

The Voting is closed! Edrick is going to take Leo with him This was a pretty clear vote in favour of giving Leo a chance. It's also an

• edited April 2016

Lucas

Lucas sent a glare into Harris' direction. He was willing to lie to the public, to hide Harris' crimes just a little bit longer. But Darren was someone he trusted, someone he considered a friend. Whatever that was still worth in these days...

He sighed. “It's about Ilhan”, he finally said and immediately, Darren narrowed his eyes. “This son of a bitch...”, he mumbled. “You mean to tell me...” Lucas cut him off with a nod. “He murdered him”, he confirmed and saw that Darren clenched his fists. “This fucking son of a bitch”, he growled again, quite viciously this time.

Then, he reached towards his sword, but Lucas quickly grabbed his forearm. “No!”, he hissed. “No, we still need him. There's a reason I haven't exposed him right away” Darren shook his head. “Let go of me”, he growled again. “I'm going to fucking kill this bastard right here”

“That's why I won't let go”, Lucas replied. He saw that Harris, Leonard and Ian had stopped. Harris and Leonard threw suspicious glances into their direction and Ian seemed to realize that something was going on as well. A hint of distrust appeared on the hedge knights face.

“This is not right”, Darren snarled and Lucas sighed. “Nothing seems truly right these days”, he answered glumly. “Like you, I thought I had it all figured out. You know what it brought me?” He used his mutilated hand to point at the bandaged side of his face. “For now, we can only choose the lesser evil”

Instead of calming down, Darren's stare hardened even more. “Don't treat me like a naive child, boy”, he barked. “I lost more than you ever had. I'd gladly give my eye and my fingers, all of them, just to get my wife and my kids back!” A pained expression flashed across his face. “But just because the world, the gods, whoever else, just because they decided to fuck me over does not give me the right to betray what I believe in”, he spat. “The Lucas I know, the man you've been when we last met, this man would have arrested this murderous bastard by now”

He and Lucas glared at each other and Lucas felt anger burning up inside of him, anger of being belittled by the other knight. “This man died in Oldtown”, he muttered and the words ringed in his ears.

For a moment, Darren's expression got less hard. It didn't get softer, but a streak that might be resignation appeared on it. He shook his head once more, before averting his eyes. “This is not over”, he growled. “If you don't end this, I will”

“Darren, listen to me”, Lucas tried to reason with him. He did not manage to completely hide the angry shivering of his voice. “Harris is not the main threat here. For now, we need to use him, against the man who did this to me. This man, Mullendore, he is the real threat”

Darren pressed his lips together. “I don't know who this Mullendore is”, he answered. “But I will end him as well and I'll do it without Harris” Once again, he tried to free his arm from Lucas' grip. “This is not your decision”, Lucas hissed, but Darren broke free. “We'll see about that”, he growled in return. For a moment, Lucas was sure he would charge directly at Harris. He wouldn't have stopped him. To his surprise however, Darren turned towards the barracks and stormed off.

As Lucas approached the other knights, Harris gave him a look that was equal parts anxious and curious. “What was that about?”, he asked. In turn, Lucas threw a less than subtle glance towards Ian. “Nothing that should concern you”, he answered. “We must talk about something else”

Harris nodded in agreement. “Yes”, he said and sighed. “Yes, I suppose we must” He turned towards Ian. “Ser Ian, I must ask of you to wait for a moment, while I discuss something... personal with Ser Leonard and Ser Lucas”

“Of course, I understand”, Ian answered, even though his expression showed that he did not quite understand. Lucas still did not know if he was fully able to trust the man, but if he could, he hoped that he could tell him the truth one day.

The hedge knight smiled politely, before he took a step away from them. “I think I will stay around here for a while and... well, wait”, he said and glanced across the courtyard. “It is a very lovely courtyard you got here. I think I'm going to watch it for a while”

He leant against the nearby wall, as Lucas, Leonard and Harris walked past him and climbed the stairs that led up to the lord's tower. Lucas remembered the last time he had been here, just hours after the deaths of Lord Raylan and Maester Eaton. Everything had seemed easier back then, everything had been better.

The tower itself was still the same. Dark, cold and silent, but at the same time filled with memories. The Raylan's had lived in this tower for centuries and in this city for thousands of years. Now they were gone. Lucas sighed. Now they were just another remark in their own archive.

To Lucas' surprise, Harris had at least enough decency not to take his former liege lord's chambers for himself. Instead, he led them to the second floor of the tower, where his own, small room was located. Once more, Lucas remembered the last time he had been here. It had been the first time he and Leonard worked together, to uncover Lord Raylan's last will.

The room hadn't changed since then. It was still small, dusty and filled with books. At least from the way they lived, there was little difference between Harris the castellan and Harris the acting lord. It was his behaviour that had changed. Harris was anxious. It wasn't only the realization that Lucas and Leonard knew what he did. He was on the edge in general and he tried to overplay it. Lucas had no pity with him. Lucas was angry.

“Make yourself comfortable”, Harris said. “I could get you a bit of wine. It's not much, but-” He was cut off by Lucas fist, which hit him at the chin. The blow wasn't hard but it caused Harris to loose control over his facial expression. Gone was the calmness he had worn like a cracked mask.

Lucas had no intention of hitting him again, but Leonard still put one of his arms between them. He had an eyebrow raised, perhaps in surprise, perhaps in amusement, while Harris put a hand onto his chin. “Ouch”, the acting lord said, before he sighed. “I deserved this”

Leonard shook his head and every trace of amusement faded. “It doesn't even come close”, he said calmly, but with a tone that lacked any friendliness. “You'll get more later” Harris gulped, before he slowly nodded, without looking at either knight. Finally, he sat down on one of the chairs that stood around the table. Leonard did the same, though Lucas remained standing. “I fully understand that”, he answered. “But I also know that there's a reason why we have this talk”

He leant forward. “It's clear that a lot of things happened to you, as well as to my city, so I propose that we start with an exchange of information”, he offered and moved his lower jaw. “You don't have to pretend to like me. But please, let us do this at least with a modicum of civility”

“I was hoping for that as well”, Leonard answered with a glance towards Lucas. He crossed his arms. “Let us start with the obvious. What happened to Ilhan?” Harris sighed. “He is dead”, he answered. Leonard narrowed his eyes. “Why?”

“I killed him”, Harris answered and Lucas saw that Leonard's expression got slightly colder, as he clenched his fists. “Why?”, he pressed through his teeth. “I uncovered Lord Raylan's plans to give this city to Hightower and I tried to prevent it”, Harris answered. “Ilhan found out about this and tried to stop me. We argued. We got into a fight. I panicked and snapped”

He paused and averted his eyes, while Leonard just glared at him with pure hatred. Then, he sighed. “I believe it is my turn to ask”, he mumbled and Leonard gave him a nod, without saying a word. Harris looked up again and for a moment, Lucas saw a hint of shame. “Why am I still alive?”, he asked. “What do you need me for?”

“You see what happened to Lucas”, Leonard stated and Harris gulped. “The man who did this is named Maron Mullendore” Immediately, Harris' eyes widened. “Mullendore!”, he said. “The captain of the guard in Oldtown. I've heard of him. Did he... did he torture you?”

Lucas gave him a disgruntled nod, but avoided to give an actual answer. Instead, it was Leonard who did it for him. “He did a lot more than that”, he muttered. “And he has plans for Raylansfair. Dairon is dead because of him”

Harris clenched his teeth together and once again avoided to look at either knight. “He was a good boy”, he finally said. “So that is why you need my help. To stop Maron Mullendore from achieving his goal here in Raylansfair”

“Yes”, Leonard confirmed. “But I want you to understand, it won't save your life. You're a murderer, Harris. There will be justice for Ilhan, I'll make sure of that personally” Harris gave him a glum nod. “I understand”, he answered calmly.

“However, what we are offering you is a chance at redemption, as much as possible anyways”, Leonard continued. “If we execute you now, you'll be seen as nothing but a cold-blooded killer. No one would mourn for you. But if you help to stop us, perhaps your name will be remembered more fondly. You hardly deserve it, but these are desperate times. We take whatever help we can get”

“Then what do you expect me to do?”, Harris asked again. By now, Lucas was slightly surprised that the acting lord took their talk so graceful. Perhaps Harris had already expected such a thing to happen, ever since he murdered Ilhan.

“You're a skilled leader”, Leonard explained. “So lead. Do whatever you can to help saving this city, your city. You're the acting lord and you will remain the acting lord until we decide otherwise” Harris almost smirked at these words, though it was a joyless smirk. “I presume I have to discuss all of my future discussions with you first?”, he asked. Leonard gave him a nod. “Naturally”, he answered.

“As a matter of fact, I already made a decision that could turn the tables”, Harris explained and gently stroked his beard. This time, a cunning streak appeared in his green eyes. “Have you ever heard about Wildfire?”

“What's with it?”, Leonard asked impatiently. Just for a moment, a genuine smirk flashed across Harris' face. “What if I tell you that right underneath our land a stash of Wildfire was stored, one of considerable size, perhaps enough to burn the entire city to the ground?”, he asked. “What if I tell you that, at the moment, my men are guarding it at the old lighthouse near the cliffs?”

“I'd say you've lost your mind”, Lucas answered, even though he noticed that Harris was going somewhere with this. Leonard raised an eyebrow. “You're kidding me, are you?”, he asked and the acting lord shook his head. For a moment, it looked as if Leonard was about to jump up. His face dropped, his eyes widened. “You plan to use Wildfire to defend this city?”, he asked flatly.

Harris furrowed his brows, and quickly shook his head. “What? No, no, you misunderstood me”, he clarified. “I don't want to use the Wildfire, I want to sell it, I'm not a madman! The amount of Wildfire my men uncovered is enough to secure Raylansfair's financial situation for centuries, if we manage to sell it. We'll get a lot of gold, which we'll use to improve the city, to attract new people”

If we manage to sell it”, Leonard interjected. “I doubt anyone near us has a need for that much Wildfire. And those who may have are not the kind of people we want to give it to. You don't intend to sell it to the Hoare, do you?”

This time, Harris looked visibly appalled at Leonard's words. “Never!”, he spat. “I'm talking about the Free Cities. Volantis uses Wildfire and so does Qohor. Cities at the other end of the world, sinfully rich and in constant need of dangerous goods, like Wildfire”

“And how do you plan to sell it? The king is going to put horrendous taxes on it”, Leonard pointed out. Harris shook his head. “I have no intention of getting the king involved. No, I have other means of selling goods like these”, he answered. “A few months before his death, Robert got into contact with a fascinating woman, a trader from White Harbour. She was interested in expanding her business into the Reach. As a result of Robert's illness, nothing ever came out of it, but when I looked for a middleman to sell my Wildfire to the Free Cities, I remembered her. She's currently on her way to the city, to personally inspect the stock”

“Wildfire...”, Leonard mumbled. “I can't fucking believe it. That's either the most brilliant, or the most stupid idea I've ever heard. Do you have-” He got cut off by a loud, bitter and angry voice that sounded from the outside.

“FLOWERS!”, someone yelled and both, Harris and Lucas looked up. Leonard narrowed his eyes, before he and Lucas exchanged a glance. “Is that-”, Leonard started to say, before he was cut off again. “LUCAS FLOWERS! COME OUT AND SHOW YOURSELF, COWARD!”

“Aylard...”, Lucas mumbled as he recognized the voice. His heart started to beat faster in fear and he glanced towards his sword, dangling in the scabbard on his belt. His mouth felt dry, his hands felt sweaty. “Oh, not now...”

“Who is Aylard?”, Harris asked and Leonard shot him a glare. “A huge problem”, he answered, before he sighed. “His daughter accompanied us to Oldtown, against his will. She... was murdered. A friend of us wanted to keep Aylard at bay, but it seems she failed”

Samantha! Lucas hadn't even thought about that. If Aylard was out there, that meant that he somehow managed to get past Samantha and Sasha. Above the fear, Lucas felt worry and regret for putting them into this danger. “I got to get out there”, he said and approached the door.

He was already halfway down to the tower's ground floor, when Leonard managed to catch up to him, followed by Harris. “Damn it, Flowers!”, he yelled angrily. “What the hell do you think you're doing?” He grabbed Lucas by the shoulders and pushed him back, while Harris approached the door.

The acting lord turned around. “This man lost his daughter because you brought her to Oldtown?”, he asked and Leonard gave him a grim nod. Harris clenched his teeth. “I'm going to talk to him”, he decided, much to Lucas' surprise. “Regardless of what stands between us, at the end of the day you are still knights of my city and that means I will protect you”

And with these words, he opened the door. Lucas and Leonard followed him slowly, but remained standing in the doorframe, as the acting lord walked down the stairs and onto the courtyard. A couple of soldiers were there, but they mostly tried to get away from the man that was approaching the tower. Aylard Kawl... The innkeeper was looking more tired, more haggard than Lucas remembered him and older than he probably was. The look in his green eyes, that were so similar to Lunett's, was a messed up mixture of emotions. Sorrow, first and foremost. Grief, despair, but also an underlying primal rage, a rage Lucas was able to emphasize with. In his hands, Aylard was holding his large warhammer.

Harris approached him unarmed, his hands slightly raised. “Aylard?”, he asked softly. His words were spoken in a low tone, but the courtyard was filled with silence and they took far until they reached Lucas' ears as if Harris was standing right next to him. “My name is Harris Flowers. I am the acting lord of Raylansfair”

“I know who you are”, Aylard growled. “Get out of my way, Lord Flowers. This does not concern you. It's a matter between me and these false knights up there” Harris shook his head. “My friend, I can assure you that they are the truest knights of them all”, he said and Aylard's expression grew darker. “Please, we can sort this out like human beings. Drop your hammer and I will escort you to them. You have my word that you don't need a weapon. We just have to talk”

“Aye, talk...”, Aylard mumbled and even from afar, Lucas saw the tears in his eyes. Then, without any kind of warning and both, faster and stronger than Lucas had expected, he slammed his own forehead right into Harris' face. The lord staggered backwards, stunned, before he went to the ground. “But I'm not talking to you”

“Stay where you are, Flowers!”, Leonard hissed, before he walked down the stairs, approaching the furious innkeeper. “Hello, Aylard”, he greeted him and put a hand onto the hilt of his sword. Before he could draw it however, Aylard had slammed the lower end of his warhammer heavily onto Leonard's bandaged leg. The knight screamed in pain, as he went to the ground. Aylard didn't even glance at him. “And we will talk later”, he decided, before he shifted his attention towards Lucas.

Now or never, Lucas thought, as he began walking down the stairs as well. He and Aylard glared at each other and Lucas felt that tears began to form in his own eye as well. “Aylard”, he stated. “You're taking this too far”

“Bastard”, Aylard hissed in return. “You have no idea how far I'm going to take this. I'm standing in front of the man that took my daughter, the reason she's dead. How far do you expect me to go?” He still approached Lucas, who put his healthy hand against his sword.

“Aylard, what happened to Lunett was tragic, but...”, Lucas said but the innkeeper cut him off. He wasn't screaming. Instead, he was growling in a voice that was barely audible, barely human, disfigured by agony. “She was my daughter!”, he snarled. “My eldest child, my most gentle one...” He cut himself off, as his voice grew cracked and grew weaker. With a pained wail, he swung his hammer towards Lucas. It was a weak strike and Lucas was effortlessly able to evade it.

“Aylard, I haven't killed Lunett!”, Lucas said, as fear was slowly replaced by anger. “Haven't you?”, Aylard yelled in return, his voice getting stronger again. “Haven't you taken her to a city of wolves? Haven't you left her unprotected? Samantha told me what this Butterfly did to her. Her feet, her eyes...” His own eyes narrowed. “I see you lost one as well, bastard”, he spat. “How did it feel, getting a glimpse of the pain my daughter had to suffer, because of your carelessness, your selfishness?”

“I never...!”, Lucas yelled, now barely holding back, but Aylard interrupted him. “It's a shame this Butterfly never got to finish the job with you, you fucking bastard!”, he yelled as he took another swung at Lucas. This one was aimed at his head, aimed to kill. But as he said these words, something changed in Lucas. There was no fear, no grief, no sorrow and no holding back. There was just anger, anger at Aylard, at Mullendore, anger at himself. And wounded or not, Lucas was still a trained knight.

The strike missed. Lucas fist did not miss. Hitting Aylard's face, he forced the innkeeper to stagger backwards. He used the small moment where he stopped holding back, where he truly gave in to his anger, to punch Aylard in the stomach, twice, then to punch him once more against the chin. Finally, he viciously kicked him in the back of his knees, while simultaneously slamming his elbow against Aylard's neck. Gurgling in pain, the innkeeper went to the ground.

Immediately, Lucas had drawn his sword. Breathing heavily, Aylard was facing the ground, though he undoubtedly felt the cold steel on his neck. He was sobbing by now. “My daughter...”, he mumbled. “My daughter...” He turned his head, until the blade nearly cut into his flesh and a desperate sneer appeared on his face. “Well, what are you waiting for, bastard?”, he asked. “First my daughter, then me, DO IT!”

His words were interrupted by his desperate sobs. “Lunett... I'm surprised that you're man enough to do it yourself this time!”, he spat. “Or are you once more relying on your Butterfly to kill me, like the pathetic crippled leftover you are?”

Lucas let out a scream of pure rage, as he raised his sword...

[Kill Aylard] [Let him live]

• [Kill Aylard]

Lucas Lucas sent a glare into Harris' direction. He was willing to lie to the public, to hide Harris' crimes just a little bit longer. Bu

• [Kill Aylard] Not that I want Aylard to die but I think Lucas would kill him at this point he is beyond angry and Aylard keeps taunting him.

Lucas Lucas sent a glare into Harris' direction. He was willing to lie to the public, to hide Harris' crimes just a little bit longer. Bu

• [Let him live]

Damn, this is a hard choice... but I would let him live, showing, that he is not a monster Aylard have him for.

Seems the healer will have some more job to do.

• edited April 2016

I am... conflicted. I'd normally always choose to spare a character but part of me thinks it'd be so much more interesting to have Lucas go even darker and just put him down. If he does he'll likely put himself in a very bad light to Samantha, Sasha, maybe even Leonard. ARGH! It's too tempting, I love it when good guys go dark. [Kill Aylard]

Edit: I have so many doubts, I'll likely not change my choice but I'm so worried about the consequences.

• [Kill Aylard] This is the perfect choice for Lucas to prove that he has gone rogue. Alyard should not have done that.

• [Let him live] I have to say I totally understand Aylard's anger. Killing him would be a little too much imo.

• Exactly my thoughts... he have the right to be furious, especially after loosing recently 2 of his daughters.

[Let him live] I have to say I totally understand Aylard's anger. Killing him would be a little too much imo.

• On top of that I'd also think Lucas would be kinda hypocrite if he murders Aylard right after judging Harris from what he did. And IIRC Aylard had one son left? In that case Lucas would also be making an orphan.

Mathea posted: »

Exactly my thoughts... he have the right to be furious, especially after loosing recently 2 of his daughters.

• [Let him live]

• [Let him live] Lucas doesn't need to be put in the same dark as Harris is. No matter how much anger he is showing toward Aylard or how he is tempting to get him riled up, killing him will only make things worse.

A few months before his death, Robert got into contact with a fascinating woman, a trader from White Harbour.

}:)

• [Kill Aylard] His swords already raised so why not.

• edited April 2016

[Let him live] I don't want to equal Lucas with Harris. Plus the fact that Aylard has a son.

• [Let him live] To me at least this is not even something that a person must choice,why Lucas should kill the father of the girl that he loved?I understand the rage but that means go to far (plus it will be weird kill Aylard when only some minutes ago we where telling to Harris that kill Ilhan was a mistake)

• (Let him live)

• [Let him live]

• [Kill Aylard] of course

• The Voting is closed!

Lucas is going to let Aylard live

Without a doubt, this was the better choice for Lucas. Killing Aylard at this point would have had obviously bad consequences for him. It wouldn't have been murder by law, since Aylard attacked him first, but that wouldn't have changed the way the people see him. At the end of the chapter, I will give a detailed description of the things that would have happened to Lucas if he would have given in to his anger. That said, character-development wise, I believe killing Aylard would have been the more fascinating option, because of the way Lucas would have changed. Now, there might still be a chance for him if you continue to choose wisely.

The next part is hopefully going to be out today. Note that I can't promise it for sure, as there are still some pages left to write, as well as some other things I have to take care of. Also, I am unsure about how the part is going to end. It might have the length of two usual parts, depending on how my writing continues, it may or may not have a choice. The one thing I can say for sure is that it is going to be a Raenna part. The last time we saw Raenna, she Terroma and Harrington made their way through the labyrinth. They encountered Jaylon, who was not only not dead, but whose redemption at the end of Chapter 5 apparently did not stick after Mullendore brutally tortured him. Now, he remains a loyal henchman. Harrington meanwhile managed to uncover the truth about his brother, whom he seeks to take revenge on and who was secretly employed by Mullendore for a long while now. Vengeful, he vows once more to help Raenna and Terroma, not only in helping to free Briar, but in helping to free as many prisoners as possible, in the hope that this will hurt Mullendore. As they made their way to the dungeons, they were stopped by a large number of opponents, who have been sent by Jaylon. As it turned out, Jaylon realized that Raenna and Terroma don't belong into the labyrinth, so he sent these men to stop them. Harrington and Terroma splitted up to defeat them. While Harrington fought against three man, Terroma took two. Raenna was left with a decision to help one of them and she decided to help Harrington.

• Thank the gods! I would have had a really hard time rooting for Lucas if he had killed Aylard.

And also, can't wait to see how that fight in the labyrinth goes down...

The Voting is closed! Lucas is going to let Aylard live Without a doubt, this was the better choice for Lucas. Killing Aylard at this

• Honestly a little disappointed. Not out of dislike for Aylard or thinking he had it coming, because he didn't. I just think Lucas's path would've been more interesting had he gone the dark road. I don't blame anyone for voting otherwise though.

The Voting is closed! Lucas is going to let Aylard live Without a doubt, this was the better choice for Lucas. Killing Aylard at this

Sign in to comment in this discussion.