Forum of Thrones: An Interactive Story

Comments

• Yeah, I'm not sure. Part of me kind of wanted to see a different Lucas, changed by the torment he had suffered from his torture. After all, Lunett had been raped and brutally murdered, and that can't just leave a man so easily forgiving. Though in the end I'm glad that he spared Aylard, as it still shows that he has sympathy and is not truly lost. Anyway, finished the catchup and keen for the next part! :D

The Voting is closed! Lucas is going to let Aylard live Without a doubt, this was the better choice for Lucas. Killing Aylard at this

• Raenna

Raenna had faith in Terroma. After all, he was the one who had taught her everything she knew about fighting. At the same time, he also taught her not to be too confident. Still she knew he could take two opponents at the same time. She also knew that Harrington likely needed her help more. After all, he was attacked by three men at the same time and forced into the defence. Now that his opponents came closer, his longsword even gave him a disadvantage over their shorter weapons.

Raenna charged towards him and ducked under one of his strikes, to stab one of his opponents into the guts. The man did not see her coming and had not enough time to react. With a gurgling noise, he went to the ground, while Raenna slashed him across the chest once more to finish him off.

Harrington used the confusion to attack another of his opponents, but the man managed to parry. Instead of using his newfound advantage to attack once more, Harrington instead swung his sword in a halfcircle and blocked the final opponent from reaching Raenna, a gesture she found sweet, but unnecessary.

For a brief second, the four stood in front of each other, Raenna and Harrington glaring at Butterfly's men and vice versa. Then, Harrington raised his sword again, allowing Raenna to attack the man he had blocked, while he hit the side of his own opponent's sword, knocking it against the wall to his left and nearly out of the man's hand. A backhanded strike ended his opponent's life, as the tip of the blade cut deeply through his throat.

Raenna's opponent at least tried to use the superior range of his shortsword. If he would have used a longsword, he might have even proved a minor obstacle, but despite being longer than her dagger, the shortsword still did not manage to keep her at bay. She took a step back as he swung at her, only to dash forwards just as the blade passed her, to grab his wrist, which prevented him from further using his sword. Before he could react, she shoved the dagger through his chin.

Immediately, she spun around. “Terroma!”, she yelled. He was kneeling on the ground, two dead men next to him. One of them was bleeding from a large gash underneath his shoulder, where Terroma's dagger had pierced his heart, the other one was laying motionless with a small knife in his eye. Terroma himself was kneeling and breathing heavily, while he held his side. “Oh no...”, she mumbled, as she rushed towards him.

Even before she reached him, she saw the blood that was seeping through his fingers. “Terroma...”, she mumbled regretfully as she knelt down next to him. He gave her a weak and entirely forced smile. “It's alright, little Raenna”, he said as he lifted his hand. “Just a flesh wound”

He was right. It looked painful, but it would hardly kill him. A long, but superficial cut, his ribs had likely prevented major damage. “I'm going to survive it”, he said as he pulled her into a soft hug. “I'm sorry”, she whispered. “I... should have...” He pulled her away from him, keeping her at an arm's length as he pulled himself up while being supported by her. “You made a choice”, he said sternly. “I can respect that”

She gave him a small, but genuine smile, before she realized that he couldn't even see it underneath the mask. With a sigh, she removed the blasted thing from her face, just as she heard Harrington growling something. She saw him pointing his sword at a corner. “Come out”, he growled.

For a moment, nothing happened, then a man walked around the corner. He was tall, perhaps in Harrington's age and quite handsome. A broad jawline and a prominent chin were his most outstanding features. His light blue eyes had a haunted look in them and his dark brown hair was in a mess. Raenna noticed that he had three weapons with him. A Dothraki Arakh was tied to his belt, where two hatchets were resting as well.

With distrust in his eyes, he looked at the dead bodies, his hands raised, while Harrington still pointed his sword towards him. “Who are you”, the sellsword growled. “Easy now...”, the man said, still glancing at the dead bodies. “I'm not a friend of Butterfly. Neither are you, that's for sure” He took a bow. “My name is Davith Lanser”

Harrington narrowed his eyes, before he lowered his sword. “Then you're indeed not a friend of Butterfly”, he stated, before he looked at Raenna, visibly calmer. “One of the most wanted men in this city. Former member of the guard. Was involved in freeing an important prisoner a week ago”

Now it was up to Davith to narrow his eyes. He even reached towards one of the hatchets. “How do you know that?”, he asked in a low tone, as his look grew more confused. “Only a Solver would know” Harrington gave him a nod. “That's because I was one of them”, he confirmed. “My name is Samuel Harrington” Davith let out a muffled curse, as he drew the hatchet. Harrington's longsword went up and pointed at him again. “I don't know if I'm a match for you, Fang, but I'll definitely try”, Davith snarled.

“Wait!”, Raenna yelled. Davith glanced at her and raised an eyebrow. A charming, slightly cocky grin appeared on his face. “A woman?”, he remarked, before he looked back at Harrington. “What kind of game are you playing?”

“My own, as always”, Harrington answered in a very low tone. He almost sounded vicious. “For a while, I was on Butterfly's side and I don't deny that I did a lot of bad stuff in his name, but now I can promise you, I only desire to harm him” Finally, Davith seemed to calm down. He lowered the hatchet, though he still remained on guard. “Are you doing it right now?”, he asked. “Harming him?”

Raenna gave him a nod, but it was Terroma who spoke. “We're about to free one of his prisoners”, he explained in a friendly tone. “A little girl, the sister of a friend” The final sentence caused Davith's expression to grow darker. He spat on the ground. “I knew Butterfly is a fucking savage, but this? Imprisoning a little girl, that's low, even for him”

“It is”, Terroma agreed. “Which is why we're going to free her and any other poor soul we find down there” Davith gave him a nod, before he glanced from his hatchet to Harrington. “I know, we just met and that might be a bit quick but... would you mind if I join you?”, he asked. “If it harms Butterfly, I have to be there”

Terroma looked at Raenna, who shrugged. She did not know this man. Though he seemed friendly enough, that meant little to her. Harrington nodded, after momentarily hesitating. “We can trust him”, he confirmed. “If there's one thing I know about Davith Lanser, then it is his utter hatred for Butterfly”

“Fine then”, Terroma said. “You can come with us. Know that each of us can and will kill you if you try to turn against us. Though, before we leave, I would like to hear what a wanted man is doing down here”

“Hiding right under his nose”, Davith answered with a proud grin. “You heard the Fang. I've been involved in another break-out. I helped freeing a captured knight, together with four others. Got separated, when I lured a group of Alley Cats away”

“You managed to hide from the Cats?”, Harrington asked and for the first time, he seemed impressed. “They give even me a hard time. Expert trackers, all of them and absolutely relentless”

“Guess I just got lucky”, Davith answered with a smirk, that quickly faded under Harrington's icy glare. “Honestly though, you know how huge these tunnels are, do you? I had a torch with me to lure them away from my friends. Dropped it to hide my position. Even they can't see in the dark. I walked around for a while. Eventually, I found one of their supply depots. Stacked myself with enough to survive, before I tried to find my way out. I kept out of sight whenever I heard someone approaching. The darkness down here was my only friend in the last few days. Now however, I just want to get back to the surface”

“We'll lead you there”, Terroma offered and Davith gave him a thankful nod. “Praise the Seven”, he sighed. “I got to go to Raylansfair, you know” He put a hand onto the hatchets on his belt. “Got a friend there that is probably going to be delighted to see these two back”

“It's settled then”, Terroma stated, before he looked back at Harrington. “Lead the way” The sellsword bowed his head and started to walk, while Raenna glanced from him to Davith. The newest addition to their team seemed to be unhappy about Harrington's presence. Considering the sellsword's backstory, she was unable to hold it against him.

With worry, she looked at Terroma, who was pressing a piece of cloth against his wound. It was still bleeding, but he showed no sign of pain. That was until he smiled at her. The gesture sent shivers down her spine. Something about it looked forced, almost... disappointed.

Instead of focussing on hims, she focussed on the way. Left. Right. Straight Ahead. Past a crossroad. Down a set of stairs. Right. Right Again. Left. Down another set of stairs. Right. Soon, she had phased out completely, her only thoughts revolving on the way they were taking, blending out Harrington, blending out Terroma and Kersea and Butterfly. For a short while, her outer calmness matched her inner feelings.

“We're here”, Harrington mumbled. Raenna looked up again and felt as if she just woke up after a strange dream. Feeling a moment of dizziness, she leant against the eerily black wall next to her. A shiver went through her veins as she touched the damp stone. So close to it, the wall smelled like the sea, exactly how she imagined the deepest corners of it. It felt and smelled like primordial leviathans preying through the depths, like nameless, eyeless, shapeless creatures lurking in the water, like a dead god dreaming in a midnight, bottomless abyss far below a calm surface.

With a gasp, she pulled away from the stone. Harrington shot a look into her direction. “Everything alright?”, he asked and she gave him a quick nod and glanced at the hallway they were in right now. To each side, they had half a dozen doors. They weren't completely solid. Instead, a small hole, almost like a window, was cut into each of them. And then Raenna heard something from one of the cells. It almost sounded like... music? The sound of bells played a surprisingly merry tune, although it sounded a bit off. And someone was humming.

Harrington raised both eyebrows and a look of genuine confusion appeared on his face. He looked so confused that Raenna had to chuckle, despite the fact that she felt similar. Both approached the door, Davith closely behind them, while Terroma stopped and sighed in pain.

Inside the cell sat a young girl, perhaps ten years old at most. She had a certain cuteness in her appearance, not unlike her older sister, with the same dark hair, plated into one long braid. Her face was pale, which highlighted her freckles. But what really gave her away as Briar Catelins was the smile on her face. Raenna had no doubt that she was the only one that ever saw Kersea smiling like this in these days.

In her hand, Briar was holding a complicated apparatus, consisting of spinning gears and bells that rang, if someone would wind it up. It was small and the craftsmanship was exceptional. Careful golden engravings depicted Valyrian heroes. A smile flashed across Raenna's face as she recognized it. Kersea had stolen it from the Triarch of Volantis during one of their missions. She never knew what happened to it, until now.

Suddenly, Briar looked up, her eyes widened and so did her smile. “Uncle Maron?”, she asked with joy and now Raenna lost her cool. “Open the door, anyone”, she ordered hastily. Davith squirmed past her and out of his pocket, he pulled a thin lockpick. “I got this”, he said, while Raenna glanced at Terroma. He still had a hand pressed onto his side and he looked pale, so horribly pale.

Terroma limped towards her and as he did so, he threw glances into the cells. “Empty”, he mumbled. “Dead. Dead. Worse. Empty. Dead” He stopped. “There's someone in here as well, two men”, he hissed and Davith gave him a nod. “I'll deal with it once I got this one open”, he mumbled, as he continued to pick the lock.

“Aren't there any more cells?”, he asked and looked around. “I expected the famous dungeons to be larger” Harrington gave him a grim nod. “There are more, but I doubt we'll be able to reach them. We already ran into one of their patrols and our chances of getting caught grow higher the more time we spend down here, the more prisoners we free”

Terroma sighed. “I agree”, he said. “Let's free Briar and the two poor souls over there before we get out again” His left hand still pressed onto his wound, he gave Harrington a pat onto the shoulder with his right, before he turned to Raenna. “Sweet Raenna, are you okay?”, he asked.

She shook her head and nervously glanced at the black stone that surrounded them. Whoever decided to build a prison in these corridors had a truly sadistic streak. “I should be the one asking the question”, she said. “Once we're out of here, we get you to the Citadel. Someone should take a look at that wound”

Terroma shrugged. “I survived worse with less treatment”, he explained. “But yeah, you are probably right” Just as he said this, Davith whistled. “Got it”, he grinned, as he opened the door with a creaking noise. The music stopped and Briar Catelins looked up.

“Uncle Maron?”, she asked again, as she looked at the people, her eyes uncertain if they should show fear or curiosity. “Who are you?” Harrington opened his mouth and closed it again, before he looked at Terroma, who in turn looked at Raenna. She gave them an alarmed stare. “What?”, she asked. “Why me?”

“You are, quite undeniably, a woman”, Harrington explained. “Out of all of us, you have... motherly instincts?” She decisively shook her head, even though she knew what he meant. Harrington wasn't the kind of person a child would trust. This aura of casual dangerousness that he wore like a second skin, she could only imagine that it was off-putting for children. Terroma meanwhile was wounded and currently, he tried his best to hide it in front of the child.

She took a few steps towards Briar and entered the cell. It seemed a bit larger than the other ones. Relatively fresh candles illuminated it and it was clean, so clean that the black stone almost reflected her image. If it wouldn't have been for said stone, or the large cell door, the room could have been cosy. The bed was large and obviously comfortable. A table and a chair looked sturdy and there was even a small closet in there. Aside from Briar's music box, she had a couple of books on her disposal, though Raenna only threw a casual glance towards them.

“Uh... hello”, she said and gulped. Briar looked at her with large, grey eyes that were so similar to Kersea's that it sent a sting through her. “Briar? You are Briar Catelins, right?” The young girl gave her a nod. “Who are you?”, she asked again.

“My... my name is Raenna”, Raenna said softly and slowly, she seemed to realize how she had to speak to a child. She was nervous, though she did not know why. It was just a girl, a little girl, Kersea's sister and still, she was afraid she would screw this up somehow.

The look of fear in Briar's eyes faded and a smile appeared on her face. “You are a friend of Kersea, she told me about you!”, she exclaimed. Before she jumped up, she carefully put her music box onto the bed. Then, she jumped towards Raenna and gave her a hug.

This gesture took Raenna by surprise and she needed a moment to wrap her arms around the child as well. Briar looked up, a joyful, energetic smile on her face that was not only a pleasant surprise, bit also entirely unfitting for a girl that supposedly spent the last five years in captivity. “Is Kersea with you? Where is she? Who are these people? Where's Uncle Maron?”, she asked quickly.

“Yes.... No”, Raenna said. She had never liked being around children. It wasn't so much that she disliked children. Quite the contrary, she loved them. However, they confused her at the same time. Their open display of innocence, their trust... Raenna was afraid to be around children, because she was afraid that she would say something or do something that would take these wonderful things away from them.

“Kersea is not with us. But we are friends of her”, she said and pointed from Terroma to Harrington. “These are Terroma and Samuel”, she introduced them. “We will bring you out of here and then we will bring you to Kersea”

The mention of her sister caused Briar to grin widely, though it faded before she answered. “But I can't go”, she said. “Uncle Maron needs my help” Finally, Raenna understood what Briar was talking about. It took her a lot of self-restraint to keep her composure. “Uncle Maron?”, she asked and Briar gave her a nod. “His name is Maron Mullendore and he is not really my uncle. But I can call him like that and he is my best friend!”, she explained. “He brings me books and he reads them to me, he takes me out and we walk through the city together. Sometimes he even brings me lemon pie” A sheepish smile formed on her face. “One time I ate so much lemon pie that I was sick the next day. He tucked me to sleep and he stayed until I felt better. He is the nicest man in the world”

Harrington let out a snorting chuckle, which caused Raenna to glare at him. “Sorry”, he mumbled and even though he was still chuckling, his face showed no joy. Instead, shock and even disgust were embedded on it.

“You mentioned he needs your help?”, Raenna asked and Briar nodded enthusiastically. “Yes!”, she answered with pride. “He keeps me here and he protects me from the bad people. And as long as I stay here, Kersea helps him” Raenna gulped and anger flared up inside of her, anger at this bastard of Mullendore. “Do you know how exactly she helps him?”, she asked and Briar shook her head. “They have an agreement. As long as he keeps me safe here, Kersea works for him, but I don't know what she's doing for him. She never wanted to tell me and she looks so sad when I ask”

“Raenna”, Terroma whispered softly. “It's alright. Give me a moment with her” He put a hand onto her shoulder and she gave him a thankful nod. “I'll go check on Harrington and Davith”, she said, before she looked back to Briar. “Briar, this man is a friend” The girl gave her a nod and looked at Terroma. Her eyes widened as she spotted his wound, but his kind smile kept her calm. “Hello, little Briar”, he greeted her.

Raenna walked out of the cell and clenched her fists. Harrington obviously shared her feelings, as he looked outright disgusted by now. “This fucking bastard”, he growled and Raenna sharply glared at him. “Language”, she warned him and pointed her head into the direction of Briar's cell. Harrington sighed. “I saw what he did to the children that work for the Burned Man. To have him around a girl her age... The thought makes me sick”

“You worked for him”, Raenna mentioned. She did not try to hurt him, but she was curious. It was clear to her that he was not as bad as his reputation. Perhaps he had a heart after all. He gave her a solemn nod. “Not my proudest decision”, he muttered. “I'm going to make amends for it, after... after I confront my brother”

“Why did he treat her like that?”, Raenna asked. “He could have... I don't know, treated her like anyone else” Harrington gave her a nod. “Instead he became Uncle Maron”, he spat. “Somehow, this makes him even worse. The poor girl never knew the danger she was in. I'm sure that was all very thrilling for him”

“No doubt about it”, Raenna agreed. “But we're bringing her out now. We're bringing her back to her sister” This time, Harrington shook his head. “You do”, he corrected her softly. “I have to stay. Ryder is here and I won't leave this city as long as he lives”

• edited April 2016

His words were upsetting to Raenna. Even more upsetting was the fact that she did not know why. Instead of answering, she turned to Davith, who had just finished opening the door to the cell Terroma had mentioned. Behind it, there was only darkness, until Harrington stepped forward with his torch.

Two men were kneeling on the ground, their hands tied together with iron chains. One of them was short and stocky, a young man in his twenties, with a plain, round face, red hair and thick sideburns. The other one was in his thirties, with a long face, dark hair and stern, grey eyes, which were glaring at her.

“You are no Solvers”, he said with a deep, hoarsy voice and Raenna shook her head. “Free them”, she ordered Davith, who gladly started to pick the locks to their handcuffs. “No, we are no Solvers”, she confirmed. “My name is Raenna Minsworth and I am here to free you”

The red-haired man looked up as Davith approached him. “No”, he said and pointed towards the other one. “Free him first” Davith shrugged, before he approached the dark-haired man instead, who sighed. “Thank you, Ando, but that wasn't necessary”, he answered.

“Do you know who we are, Raenna?”, he asked. “Who has sent you?” Raenna raised an eyebrow, before she shook her head. “I don't know who you are and no one sent me”, she clarified. “We've been down here to save a little girl, she was kept just a few cells to your right. While we're at it, we decided to free you as well”

“A girl?”, the red-haired man exclaimed. “What kind of animal would keep a girl down here” With a clack, the dark-haired man's handcuffs opened and he slowly rose from the ground. “A butterfly, I presume”, he said, before he took a gallant bow in front of Raenna. “Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Brandon Snow. I am a sellsword, leader of the Snow Wolves. This fine man here is Ando Pyre, my second-in-command. Apparently, he's also the last of my men to survive this nightmare”

While he said this, Ando rose from the ground as well. He was at Raenna's height, while Brandon was tall and powerfully built, towering even Harrington and Davith. “Greetings”, the young man said with a shy smile.

While he said this, Ando rose from the ground as well. He was at Raenna's height, while Brandon was tall and powerfully built, towering even Harrington and Davith. “Greetings”, the young man said with a shy smile.

“Sellswords down here?”, Harrington asked. “What have you done to piss Butterfly off?” Brandon shook his head. “Mullendore”, he explained. “You seem unsurprised. I take it you are familiar with his secret? We weren't, until we took a job for Commander Mullendore” He paused. “Something went wrong and honestly, I don't know what we did, but Mullendore was livid. Before we could even protest, he threw us in here. Around the same time, I figured out that he has to be the crimelord Butterfly”, he continued, before he glanced towards Ando. “I had two dozen men and women under my command. Every day, he took one of us for interrogation. They never came back”

“My condolences for your men”, Raenna said wholeheartedly. “But at least you survived. We're going to bring you out of here” Brandon gave her a thankful nod, before he and Ando followed them out of the cell. Their movements were a bit clumsy after being imprisoned for so long and the light of the torch seemed to hurt their eyes, but they seemed mostly unharmed.

Terroma stood in the hallways, Briar next to him, clutching her music box. The young girl wasn't smiling anymore, though she didn't look sad either. Instead, she had something that reminded Raenna of Kersea's determination. “Terroma told me what I have to do”, she revealed. “I'm going to help you” A hint of a smile flashed across her face, as she looked back at Terroma. “And Uncle Maron is going to follow?”, she asked. He patiently smiled at her. “Yes, after we reunited you and your sister, we will go and get Uncle Maron as well”, he answered.

With these words, he turned towards Brandon and Ando. “And who are you?”, he asked. Brandon bowed in front of him as well, while Ando saluted. “My name is Brandon Snow, leader of the Snow Wolves”, he explained and glanced at Ando. “What's left of them anyways. This man is my second-in-command, Ando Pyre”

“I am Terroma”, Terroma introduced himself, before he looked at Harrington. “We're done here” Harrington gave him a nod. “Alright then”, he said and turned around, walking back into the direction they came from.

“Who is that man?”, Brandon asked curiously. Raenna saw that his curiosity seemed honest. Ando meanwhile was not interested in the mysteries of Samuel Harrington. His eyes mustered all of them and the look in them was one of cautious distrust. In his situation, she'd probably react similarly.

“Samuel Harrington”, Davith explained casually and Raenna shot him a glare. As expected, Brandon and Ando stopped walking immediately. “Butterfly's top enforcer!”, Brandon exclaimed. Harrington shook his head. “Former top enforcer”, he clarified. “I switched sides”

“So, you're with the Burned Man now?”, Brandon asked in return. Again, Harrington shook his head. “I'm with no one. I'm done picking sides that are not my own, fighting battles I don't believe in”, he explained. “From this day forward, I will fight solely for my own goals” He narrowed his eyes. “Is that a problem?”

“A problem? No”, Brandon stated. “Unexpected, yes, but not a problem” Ando put a hand onto his commanding officer's shoulder. “Ser, this could be a trap?”, he growled and Brandon chuckled. “And what kind of trap is that supposed to be? They just let us out of that blasted cell”, he answered and looked back at Harrington. “Lead the way then. I desire to return home”

“Where's that?”, Raenna asked as they continue to walk. Brandon smiled at her. “A small place far up north. You probably never heard of it”, he explained. “My half-brother owns a bit of land. After what happened in the past month, I intend to spend a lot of time there”

Raenna still remembered the way back, though she was thankful for Harrington's guidance. The labyrinth made her nervous. It was the stone and the thought that normal stone shouldn't feel so damp. The longer they were down here, the more she started to think that it actually dimmed the light of the torch. How Briar managed to live down here for so long was a mystery for her. The young girl seemed to be in a good mood and aside from her disturbing fondness for Mullendore, there was nothing worrying about her. And that in turn was more worrying than anything else. She spent five years in this cell. The last time she saw her sister was over a year ago, but she was still optimistic. Raenna decided to keep an eye on her, to look for anything troublesome.

“In there”, Harrington said, as he pointed towards a corridor that Raenna remembered. An open door led into the crudely built tunnel they used to enter the labyrinth. A sigh of relief left her mouth. They actually made it. She glanced at Briar and then at Davith, Brandon and Ando. They not only made it, they also managed to save more people than they intended to save. She smiled. Perhaps it was a good day after all.

The walk back through the tunnel seemed shorter and she felt relief, now that she left the black tunnels behind. It almost felt as if some sort of pressure was taken away from her and with ease, she climbed the ladder that led back up to the surface, to the house they had previously cleaned.

Brandon and Ando's movements were still a bit awkward from their long imprisonment and as Raenna's glance fell upon Terroma, she saw that his wound was affecting him more than he wanted to admit. “Come on, Old Man”, she said kindly, as she reached down to help him up. A displeased streak appeared on his face, as he mumbled something, but eventually he grabbed her hand and got pulled up. Davith followed shortly afterwards and finally, Briar, with Harrington behind her.

“We're back, as promised”, he said and this time, Terroma respectfully bowed his head. “Harrington, it appears I have misjudged you”, he answered. “I'm an old man and stubborn, but that does not mean that I can't admit when I was wrong. I shouldn't have doubted your intentions”

“You shouldn't”, Harrington confirmed. Raenna smiled at him and momentarily, he smiled back. “Come on now”, he said, as he led them through the house. If Brandon, Ando and Davith were surprised by the dead Alley Cats in the main room, they did not show it. The only one who actually seemed to be affected by this was Briar, who seemed genuinely shocked.

“The first time you see a dead man, girl?”, Harrington asked. She shook her head in an intimidated way, barely daring to fully look at the corpses. “My parents...”, she whispered and looked down onto the floor. Raenna pressed her lips together, as she quickly knelt down and pulled the young girl into a warm hug, a gesture she was surprised about herself. Briar rested her head on Raenna's shoulder and shivered, even though she did not cry. “It's all good, little one”, Raenna whispered. “We're bringing you back to your sister” She looked up, towards Terroma and Harrington, who both watched her with a smile on their faces. “Come one”, she whispered. “Let's get out of here”

It was dark outside and even worse, it was slightly raining. Brandon and Ando leant against a wall underneath a canopy at the other side of the street, while Davith quickly caught up to them. Terroma stopped and turned around towards Harrington, who stood in the doorway. “What are you going to do now?”, he asked.

A grim expression appeared on Harrington's face. “I know that my brother serves in the city guard. I know how to find specific guardsmen. I will find him. I will make him pay”, he explained calmly, as if he wasn't talking about killing his own brother. “You know, I could use some help. You two have been... useful”

“Useful, huh?”, Raenna remarked and smirked. Harrington reciprocated the smirk. “Very useful”, he clarified. “Couldn't have done it without you. Perhaps I would have died” Raenna glanced at the others. “Looks like we're lifesavers”, she chuckled and he gave her a nod. “You are”, he said in a serious tone.

Terroma sighed and softly put a hand onto Briar's shoulder. “Sweet Briar, why don't we go over there. I'm sure there are many things you want to know”, he offered and the girl gave him an excited look. “I want to hear about Kersea!”, she said. “Is she alright?” Terroma gave her a nod, followed by one of his kind, fatherly smiles. “You have no idea how much your sister loves you”, he began to explain, leaving Raenna and Harrington behind.

After a few uncomfortable moments of silence, Raenna cleared her throat. “So... you're hunting your brother down now?”, she asked. He gave her a nod. “Looks like it. And you're going to find her sister?” She gave him a nod. “Yeah...”, she answered and looked up. “And what then?” He shrugged. “I don't know”, he answered. “I haven't thought about it. I'm not the kind of person to settle down though, so chances are that I'll continue in my field of work. Just... not for Butterfly, or people like him”

Raenna sighed. She was afraid of that answer. Settling down, leaving this live behind, that was exactly what she wanted. This was supposed to be her final job. And then... actually, she had never put much thought into this as well. But she did not want to continue likes this. In thirty years, she'd be either dead, or like Terroma.

“Perhaps we'll meet again”, Harrington said and Raenna smiled weakly. “Perhaps”, she answered. She gulped and clenched her fists. “But if not...” Then, she rose herself on tiptoes, as she gave him a quick, almost fleeting kiss on the cheek.

“What was that for?”, he asked with a grin. She shrugged. “Oh you know...”, she said. “Good luck on your mission and all. I hope you find your brother. I hope you find peace” He gave her a nod. “And I hope you find what you're looking for”, he answered.

She gave him a nod, a smile and turned around. Before she could start to walk to the rest of her group, he grabbed her hand. She immediately spun around, just as he pressed his lips onto hers. The rain did not matter. The cold did not matter. What he just said did not matter. Nothing mattered, but this, at least for a precious couple of seconds.

Then, he separated from her. His smile wasn't wolfish, or cocky, or arrogant. It was simple and pure joy an expression that softened his usually stern face considerably. “Till we meet again”, he whispered softly, before he turned around and walked down the alleyway. Raenna looked after him, too stunned to say anything. She tried to ignore her furious heartbeat and closed her mouth.

Terroma and the others were standing underneath the canopy. She tried to ignore the glances, as she focussed on the other end of the alleyway. “Shall we get going?”, she asked with a shaky voice and noticed that Terroma and Davith were raising their eyebrows. Brandon and Ando were polite enough not to show a reaction.

Audibly, Terroma cleared his throat. “Well... I have talked to our new friends here. For now, they will accompany us and stay with us for the night”, he explained. “Brandon and Ando have no place to stay in the city, while Davith is a wanted man. Tomorrow, we will leave to find Kersea and we all go our respective ways”

Raenna was too agitated to answer, but she gave him a nod. Her tongue slowly moved across her lips and she noticed that she was both, smiling like a madwoman and blushing. With a nervous hem, she tried her best to stop both. She did not succeed completely.

Perhaps the most uncomfortable thing about the walk home was not the rain, she had her hood for it, but feeling Terroma's stare at the back of her head. He disapproved. It was his duty to disapprove. At the same time, she wished he wouldn't. And she wished she could focus again. Harrington's words ringed in her ears and she focussed on them even more than on his kiss. What he just told her... what he just did... She was unsure if her smile was appropriate, because she felt both, blissful and devastated at the same time.

They soon entered a familiar street. Day and night did not matter here, for the houses stood so narrow that even the brightest light of the sun barely touched the ground. Now, it was pitch black, if it wouldn't have been for a candle in the first floor window above the butcher's shop. The tiny fire at least lit the way. It was also enough to illuminate the strange creature that sat in front of the shop. It was thin, with strangely long arms and legs and even in the dark, its large eyes were clearly visible. Raenna had to look twice to realize that it was a man.

“Old Man?”, the man asked in a high-pitched voice. Terroma stopped and put a hand onto his dagger. With the other hand, he softly shoved Briar behind him, towards Brandon and Ando. “Who are you?”, he growled.

“Roach is Roach”, the man said and it took Raenna a moment to realize that this was his name. She saw how Ando narrowed his eyes. “What is that?”, he asked and Brandon glanced at him. “A man, I'd say. Not even the strangest I saw in this city”, he answered. “And I gladly take roaches over butterflies”

“What do you want... Roach?”, Terroma asked and the strange man took a step aside. “Please, get in. Your friend Puffer is in there. He was wounded, but Roach helped him, yes, yes”, he explained with a hopeful smile.

“Samuel needed your help?”, Terroma asked and Roach gave him a nod. “People were here. A woman in red, a bad, bad woman and her companions, the old man with the chain around his neck and the brutal one”, he explained and his hopeful smile faded. “Roach hates the brutal one” He slightly opened the door. “She gave the Puffer a letter. Two letters. And for that, they took the girl”

Immediately, Raenna noticed a shift in Terroma's expression. His glare got colder, as he rushed past Roach without saying a word. “Yes, Roach. Old Man thanks Roach for saving Puffer's life. Roach is a hero. Old Man praised Roach”, Roach mumbled in annoyance. By now, Raenna successfully managed to block out the thoughts about Harrington. Instead, she focussed entirely on what happened right now. She put a hand onto Roach's skinny shoulder and was surprised at how fragile he seemed. “Thank you, Roach”, she said. “Come inside, perhaps the Old Man wants to ask you some questions”

With these words, she entered Terroma's hideout. Roach followed her closely and after him came Briar, Brandon, Ando and finally Davith, who closed the door. The three men nervously glanced around the small room, while muffled talking came from upstairs. Raenna looked at Brandon. “Could you look after Briar for a moment. I gotta check up on Terroma”

He gave her a nod and she rushed upstairs. Samuel Puffer lay on his bed, barely conscious, his side freshly, but crudely bandaged. No wonder was to be expected from a man that called himself Roach, though Raenna had to admit that he did fine work with this. Terroma stood next to him, a stony look on his face. “They took Ellena”, he growled and Raenna froze, as cold dread sent shivers down her spine. “Noelle Mield, a red priestess, wants to meet us. In two days on the Road between Highgarden and Raylansfair. She wants to trade Ellena for Briar Catelins...”

Without further explaining, he rushed downstairs. Raenna threw a worried glance towards Samuel, who gave her a tired nod, before she rushed after Terroma. He was already downstairs, talking to Roach. “Roach, I need you to do something for me”, he barked. “I need you to find a man at the docks. He has a small ship, a Ghiscari one. His name is Abbas and I need you to tell him that the Old Man wants to meet him”

“Abbas. Ghiscari. Ship. Roach got it”, Roach confirmed. Then, he ran out of the door. The similarities to the animal that gave him his name were uncanny by now. “Terroma...”, she whispered, but gulped as he glared at her. “I'm going to contact a man I actually never wanted to see again”, he growled. “Whoever this Noelle is... She has no idea whom she is messing with. She wants to meet the Old Man? Oh, she will...”

He rushed upstairs again and started to talk to Samuel, although his words were muffled. Raenna looked at the rest of her group. Briar seemed to haven't noticed anything, especially not the part where Terroma talked about the priestess wanting to trade her for that other girl. Meanwhile, Davith, Brandon and Ando looked at her with surprise, curiosity and suspicion.

“A new problem?”, Brandon asked and she nodded. He sighed. “Listen, I'm not deaf. I heard what he talked about. A red priestess has abducted a girl he cares for and of course he is angry. Apparently, he even calls reinforcements”, he said and paused. “All I'm saying is, he does not seem very rational right now”

“He has everything under control”, Raenna hissed and Brandon gave her a nod. “I don't doubt it”, he said diplomatically. “I just mean... the way he talks, there will be a bloodbath” She narrowed her eyes. “And you want to help?”, she asked. He shook his head. “If things get really bad, then yes. However, I mostly want to help preventing it. I am a negotiator. I know how to talk”, he explained and to her surprise, he went down on one knee. “I know, we just met. However, you saved my life and Ando's as well. We would like to accompany you, for a chance to repay this debt. To serve as your backup if things go bad, but also to hopefully prevent unnecessary bloodshed”, he proposed. “All you have to do is to talk to Terroma. Right now, you seem to be the only person that can make him see reason. Of course, if you feel like you can't trust us, I can understand it as well”

[Advice Terroma to take them with you] [Don't advice him]

• edited April 2016

[Advise Terroma to take them with you]

His words were upsetting to Raenna. Even more upsetting was the fact that she did not know why. Instead of answering, she turned to Davith,

• [Advice Terroma to take them with you] That was a nice long part.

His words were upsetting to Raenna. Even more upsetting was the fact that she did not know why. Instead of answering, she turned to Davith,

• [Advise Terroma to take them with you]

• edited April 2016

Hmmm, there could be something fishy about this, but...

[Advice Terroma to take them with you] I'm not 100% sure if Brandon and Ando can be trusted, but oh well.

Anyway, nice part. Mullendore is a very layered and interesting character, the way he has treated Briar really surprised me. I don't know if it made Maron more likable or just creepier though... And now Noelle wants to burn the poor girl, totally siding with Terroma on this one.

• [Advice Terroma to take them with you]

Great part once again!

• edited April 2016

[Advice Terroma to take them with you] If Marak's gonna be there we need to prepare for the worst.

When I first saw the words "Uncle Maron?" I was literally like "Shit."

I love how I'm seeing Marak in a completely different view from the other perspectives. Just imagining him at this meeting has got me scared and shaking. Plus Terroma's bringing some ally he never wanted to see again (Which I'm really curious about btw). Put this many dangerous people in the same room you've got a fucking disaster on your hands. Though I'm also pretty excited at thought of a battle between these juggernauts. I'm speculating this to be one of most epic moments in the entire story. Right up there with the Butterfly reveal.

You know I love this part and am excited for things to comes because by the time I finished reading I grew this massive grin on my face. :D Which I still have by the way!

And that kiss scene! So great ^_^ I love Raenna/Samuel. Plus Raenna's one of my favourites and she gets better with every part.

• I guess I didn't see a new post, so I'm late, but uh [Kill Aylard] but it doesn't matter.

Lucas Lucas sent a glare into Harris' direction. He was willing to lie to the public, to hide Harris' crimes just a little bit longer. Bu

• [Don't advice him] Nah, nah, irrational reasoning.

• Yea Davith he's alive and not even tortured what a badass.

[Advice Terroma to take them with you]

• [Advice Terroma to take them with you] Extra pair of hands and mouth which knows how to negotiate are always welcomed.

Glad Davith is okay. I can't wait for his and Samantha's reunion. :-D

• edited April 2016

Wow,this was a really long part!And Raenna (and friends) complete the mission without even suffer any losses!

About the choice I must admit that I don't trust the two new characters however I decide to [Advice Terroma to take them with you]

And now that I vote let's start with "some" reflection (and questions):

• Where is Jaylon?Last part if I remember correctly he call the soldiers to fight our heroes but then where he go?To the bathroom?
    • Finally Briar make her debut inside the fic!If I'm not wrong she is one of the first character ever mentioned inside the story!
    • While our heroes saved Briar and left the prison I'm the only one that understand that a certain character is doomed? (his name start with "H")
    • I hope Noelle will found some allies soon since I don't think that Marak and Wulvren will be enough to stop an Old Man
    • Roach is the pet that everyone want!:D
    • I must admit that Davith has the luck of the devil...or a good plot armor!;)

• I decide to make this question separated since is not about the last part:

How many Pov's has still to complete their part inside of this chapter?

• (Advise Terroma to take them with you)

• [Advice Terroma to take them with you] Terroma could go on his own, but in case a fight were to break out, it's best not to leave an injured man behind. Anyways really great part! I'm eager to see more interactions between Terroma and Roach.

• I love how I'm seeing Marak in a completely different view from the other perspectives. Just imagining him at this meeting has got me scared and shaking.

And he is going to continue being scary. If everything works as planned, he and Ellena are both going to have a rather large number of parts in the next chapter and I plan to really show a different side of him. He's a lot more complex than he seems to be at first, which is not necessarily a good thing to those around him.

Though I'm also pretty excited at thought of a battle between these juggernauts. I'm speculating this to be one of most epic moments in the entire story. Right up there with the Butterfly reveal.

I don't know if it is going to be as epic as the Butterfly reveal, but it is a scene that I have already fully planned out with all choice-determinant alternatives. I'm very excited for this scene and it is good to see that you are excited as well. I certainly hope that it is going to be an epic moment. A lot of how it may end is going to be determined by your votes, both past and future.

Plus Terroma's bringing some ally he never wanted to see again (Which I'm really curious about btw)

I think it's safe to give you a hint here, since Terroma already mentioned him by name in his talk to Roach. This ally is Abbas. You may remember him and his partner Bakr as secondary characters in Jaron's and Ellena's storylines. He and Terroma have a complicated history, which is hopefully going to be interesting to find out.

You know I love this part and am excited for things to comes because by the time I finished reading I grew this massive grin on my face. :D Which I still have by the way!

I am glad to hear you loved this part so much :) Writing it has been exceptionally fun, so I'm happy to see it has been well-received.

And that kiss scene! So great ^_^ I love Raenna/Samuel. Plus Raenna's one of my favourites and she gets better with every part.

I knew you'd like the kiss scene :D Their interactions in general were fun to write in this chapter. Also, it's good to hear that Raenna is one of your favourites. Hopefully it stays that way. Raenna is definitely going to have one of the most important storylines in the next chapter.

AgentZ46 posted: »

[Advice Terroma to take them with you] If Marak's gonna be there we need to prepare for the worst. When I first saw the words "Uncle Maro

• Where is Jaylon?Last part if I remember correctly he call the soldiers to fight our heroes but then where he go?To the bathroom?

Indeed, it was Jaylon who informed Butterfly's men that something is wrong with Samuel. However, in his talk before that, he also mentioned that he is gathering some guards and is heading towards Mullendore's position. He explained that some boy they captured (I wonder who that might be) told them that Harpy has spent the evening at the same masquerade as Mullendore and now they intend to capture her.

Finally Briar make her debut inside the fic!If I'm not wrong she is one of the first character ever mentioned inside the story!

This is quite possible. If I'm not mistaken, she was first mentioned in Kersea's first PoV in Chapter 3, so it has definitely been a long time since her first mention and her introduction.

While our heroes saved Briar and left the prison I'm the only one that understand that a certain character is doomed? (his name start with "H")

Indeed, Harren Hoare is never going to see it coming. Wait... you were talking about Harren, right? In all seriousness though, it is looking grim for Himani.

I hope Noelle will found some allies soon since I don't think that Marak and Wulvren will be enough to stop an Old Man

You underestimate the badassery of Wulvren. He's the guy that stopped the Moggy by using chemistry. Though, do I see it correctly, you want Noelle to stop Terroma? Interesting...

Roach is the pet that everyone want!:D

I fully agree with this statement XD He's a real precious.

I must admit that Davith has the luck of the devil...or a good plot armor!;)

He got lucky. Real lucky. Also, he's good at stealth stuff and used the confusing layout of the labyrinth, as well as the darkness, to his advantage.

Wow,this was a really long part!And Raenna (and friends) complete the mission without even suffer any losses! About the choice I must adm

• There are 4 PoV's that still haven't finished their storyline in this chapter. The next one is going to feature two though, namely Drent and (after a very long absence) Ilish. This means there are three parts left in the chapter in general and the chapter is going to finish next week.

I decide to make this question separated since is not about the last part: How many Pov's has still to complete their part inside of this chapter?

• Oh shit the Jaron part is going to be the chapter finale, isn't it? I'm simultanously excited and very anxious about it :D

There are 4 PoV's that still haven't finished their storyline in this chapter. The next one is going to feature two though, namely Drent and

• edited April 2016

So you have 7 Acts for hundreds of characters to be introduced , i don't know quite well how you're gonna manage . That's a massive work , i can't do anything else but to respect . Hat off sir ;)

There are 4 PoV's that still haven't finished their storyline in this chapter. The next one is going to feature two though, namely Drent and

• Thank you! It's indeed going to be a piece of work to introduce and develop every character, including those that get submitted in the future, though the large number of PoV's is going to help me with this goal. A couple of changes in future chapters are also going to make it a lot easier for me to actually develop a larger cast of characters at the same time. So, I'm positive that I can do it. In fact, this chapter, which isn't even over yet, marked the first time where the waiting list is shorter at the end than at the beginning :D

alikir34 posted: »

So you have 7 Acts for hundreds of characters to be introduced , i don't know quite well how you're gonna manage . That's a massive work , i can't do anything else but to respect . Hat off sir

• The Voting is closed!

Raenna is going to advice Terroma to take Brandon and Ando with them

That was a pretty unanimous choice and personally, I am very happy about it, as it was the one I have been planning with. It also gives me the chance to show more of Brandon and Ando. There's something very interesting planned with them and while this interesting thing would have happened either way, I think it is going to be much better if you get to know them before it happens. Aside from that, I think their presence is going to add another perspective to Raenna's storyline in the next chapter, which I'm already hyped to write.

The next part is going to be out today, if everything works out the way it should. However, starting with tomorrow, I'm going to be at the hospital for 3-4 days. It's nothing bad, do not worry, it's just a small routine surgery on Monday, with three added days of being hospitalized to make sure that everything is okay. While I will likely have Wi-Fi there and my laptop to write another part, there is the chance that I won't. In that case, I won't be able to put out another part until at least Thursday. I'm going to keep you updated about it though. Also, if I don't manage to finish the next part today, it will be out on Tuesday, likely, or if I don't have Wi-Fi, on Thursday. I'm pushing for today though.

This next part is going to feature PoV's from Drent and Ilish. The last time we saw Drent, he, Edonia, Montclair, Tariel and Garen went to share their food with the starving smallfolk of Raylansfair. As always, Garen was in a grumpy mood and he even got into a small argument with Edonia. Things got even worse when they realized that Raylansfair has a grudge against Tariel, for some reason that is currently undisclosed. The gathered smallfolk recongized her and one guy in particular insulted her. When he also insulted Garen, things were about to escalate, because Garen won't have any of that shit. Edonia and Montclair tried to hold him back, while Drent was faced with the choice to either intervene, or to stay out of it. Even though he and Garen are definitely no friends, he decided to intervene, to hopefully prevent things from escalating. Meanwhile, Ilish has a very small storyline this chapter, perhaps the shortest. We have only seen her once, a few weeks ago and in a short part. Her storyline in this chapter is merely setting up big things in the next one. In her last part, she and Lawsen, who saved her life from Wolfius and Kreep, went to the fair, where they watched a magician's performance. During this performance, Ilish's purse was stolen by a pickpocket. She realized it and decided to chase after the guy who robbed her.

• If the next two Pov's are Drent and Ilish (I suppose their last part) and the last one is obviously Jaron I'm curious who will be the fourh PoV you mentioned (probably Garthon or maybe Maya)

• Drent

There was no other way, he had to intervene. Garen was not only out of line, he was about to snap. He had a sword and Edonia still stood between him and the man that insulted him. Drent was not willing to risk her life on the small chance that Garen would back down.

“Drent, no...”, Tariel whispered pleadingly, but he did not stop. “Garen!”, he said loudly and the sellsword turned his head towards him. “Not you too”, he growled in return. “Fuck off, Drentie. Just stay out of my goddamn way for once”

“Garen, don't do something you're going to regret”, Drent answered sternly and the sellsword narrowed his eyes. “Like what?”, he asked and put a hand on the hilt of his sword. He glared at Edonia, who gulped, but remained firmly standing in front of him. “And you will go out of my way”, he snarled.

“Or what?”, Drent asked and started to feel more than just a little bit irritated at the needless aggression of Garen. In turn, the sellsword shifted his attention back towards him. “Perhaps you'll see...”, he hissed.

“Garen, please, just calm down”, Tariel started to plead as well, to no avail. “Why don't you shut your mouth, Tariel?”, Garen barked at her and the way Tariel cringed back almost looked like he had just slapped her. “Or better yet, why don't you tell us about your history with these people. Why don't you tell us why they hate you so much?”

“I... it is...”, Tariel started to stutter, visibly uncomfortable with this topic. Drent saw the angry faces in the crowd and the woman from earlier, Aditha, crossed her arms. Garen wasn't even looking at her, as he shifted his attention back towards Edonia. “I'm still waiting for you to get out of my way, ginge”, he snarled. An angry streak flashed across Edonia's face. “Just back down, Garen”, she growled. “The Sergeant gave you an order”

“Garen!”, Drent shouted as the sellsword still made no attempts to back down and he regained his attention. “Okay, that's enough”, Garen growled and slightly removed the sword form his scabbard. “Another word from you brownnosing snitch and I'll-” He did not manage to continue, as he went to the ground in the middle of his sentence. Behind him stood Montclair, with clenched fists.

“I'll probably never understand what his fucking problem is”, he mumbled, before he looked at Edonia. “Are you okay, Bernile?” She gave him a nod, followed by a salute. “Everything is okay, Sergeant!”, she confirmed and his lips formed a thin smile. “Good job. You too, Golton”, he praised them.

Then, he glanced at Aditha. “Do you speak for these people?”, he asked. Aditha thought about his words for a moment, before shaking her head. “My father does. He's the commander of the city guard and I guess that means they respect me”

“Good enough”, Montclair answered and approached the wheelbarrow. He pulled the large sack of food out of it and put it right in front of her. “Then you will distribute the food to those that need it the most. We need the wheelbarrow to get him away from here” He pointed at Garen and Aditha gave him a nod. “You have no idea why we hate her so much, do you?”, she asked, glancing at Tariel. When Montclair shook his head, she sighed.

“I'm sorry you got dragged into this. These people need your help. When they don't have to go to bed hungry tonight, they will appreciate what you did”, she complimented him. “If you're interested in the truth, come to the Nathamer residence and I'll explain. Let me just say, she has quite the guts to come here”

“There certainly is a lot to explain”, Montclair agreed, before he gave her a nod. “Golton, Bernile, put that damn sellsword into the wheelbarrow. We return to the castle!” He turned around, as Drent and Edonia already started to haul Garen into the wooden cart. Edonia quickly took his sword.

After Montclair grabbed the wheelbarrow, the group left, while the crowd did not bother with them. Drent however noticed the glares that were not only directed at Tariel, but also at him, Edonia and Sergeant Montclair. He knew, the people of Raylansfair were displeased by their presence, but he never expected to be treated with this amount of hostility.

“What are we going to do with him?”, Edonia asked and Tariel clenched her fists. Montclair shrugged, before he stopped the cart and reached down towards Garen. He turned around and handed her a small leather purse. “Nothing. But the next time he does something like that, I will inform the princess”, he explained. “It's a shame that the smallfolk took his purse when they knocked him unconscious, isn't it? It looked like he kept his pay for an entire month in there”

“Tragic”, Edonia answered with a smile. Drent was smiling as well, at least until he looked at Tariel. She wasn't smiling. The look she threw at Garen was one of utter disappointment. “Lady Tariel”, he said and she shivered as he said her name. She looked up and Drent saw the hint of tears in her eyes. “Yes?”, she asked with a cracking voice. He himself tensed up, as Edonia's hand touched his shoulder. “Leave her, Drent”, she said softly. “Today has been hard enough”

“No”, Tariel answered as she shook her head. “No, you deserve the truth. I thought I could keep it a secret forever, but...” She sighed and Drent smiled at her, in a way that was meant to be encouraging. “Forgive me, mylady”, he said. “I wouldn't ask, but these people... it seems they hated us just because we accompanied you”

“They hate you because you are from the Stormlands”, she corrected him. “And they hate me for what I did” She paused again and Drent saw how uncomfortable she felt. “To make it short, you have seen the poverty on the streets”, she explained. “At least half of them have me to blame for it”

Drent and Edonia exchanged an alarmed stare, before Tariel continued. “I left this city eight years ago. Back then, things were brighter. Most had work, a steady income, thanks to a man named Ector Grell”, she explained and momentarily lost control over her facial expression. With pure sorrow, she glanced from Garen to Drent. “He was a merchant and half of this cities warehouses belonged to him. He traded with the Rock, with the Arbor, with Oldtown and Sunspear, with the lands beyond the Narrow Sea and the Summer Isles” She pressed her lips together. “And he was married, to a woman half his age”

“You?”, Edonia asked and Tariel shook her head. “She was still a decade older than me”, she explained. “She was beautiful, but he liked his girls younger. That's how I caught his eye. At first I didn't want to, but oh was he charming” A thin, sad smile flashed across her face. “I just turned eighteen and I was foolish enough to hopelessly fall in love with him, a married man”

“How did that ruin this city?”, Montclair asked, still pushing the wheelbarrow that contained the unconscious Garen. Tariel's smile disappeared. “His wife found out”, she revealed. “Surprised us while we... She snapped. Killed him with an axe and would have damn near killed me as well” She paused again. “It was murder and Commander Nathamer hanged her for it. But the whole town heard why she did it and what my role in this mess was”

A look of understanding appeared on Edonia's face. “I take it they weren't happy about it”, she stated and Tariel gave her a nod. “After Ector's death and without an heir, his business collapsed. Almost three hundred people lost their work. More followed in the weeks after, when the merchants stopped coming”, she explained. “They called me a murderer, even though I did not kill him. They called me a whore, even though he had been the first I've ever been with, even though he had been the one who seduced me”

Her sadness faded, just for a moment, replaced by anger. “They forced me to leave my home. My own friends turned on me. Only Sherryl remained”, she explained. “And now I'm back and nothing has changed”

Drent understood what she meant, he understood why she was hurt. At the same time, he was still unsure how to feel about this woman now. “Does the princess know about it?”, he asked and Tariel shook her head. “Not even the king”, she answered and Drent saw something in her eyes that looked like regret. A joyless, thin smile appeared on her face. “We shouldn't be here”, she said. “This can only end in a catastrophe”

“Don't be like that, mylady”, Montclair tried to cheer her up. “I know this must be hard for you, but we're doing a job for the Storm King. We're claiming his rightful inheritance” Tariel shook her head. “I don't think you understand what I try to say”, she mumbled, before she looked up, her gaze firm and as strong. “We have no right to be here”

No Choices for this part

Ilish

Where was he? Ilish spun around, looking left and right for a sign of the boy she had been chasing for the past minutes. Running to the right had been the correct decision, as she had soon picked up his trail. She spotted small glimpses of her thief, a hint of bushy, black hair in the crowd, a flash of brown skin.

Others would have lost his trail by now. Not Ilish though. She knew how he thought. He was a thief and so was she. Sure, she would never run around and pick pockets at a fair, but that did not mean that she couldn't emphasize with him, couldn't predict his next movements. The purse he took was a trophy, it originally belonged to Alan Harking and she'd hate to loose it.

She turned left, into a small side street between two tents. The thief had run past it, which proved that he wasn't stupid. This side street was far too obvious as an escape route. But from the glimpses she got of him, she also knew that she had never seen him before, a rarity, considering her work in the tavern. He wasn't from Raylansfair and he didn't knew this fair as good as she did. She knew, a good thief would take the side street behind the one she just took. She also knew, as a citizen of Raylansfair, that this second side street led directly back into the first one. And just as he ran around the corner, she tackled him to the ground.

While they both fell, she on top of him, she got a good glimpse of the thief. He was indeed young, more a boy than a man. His skin was dark brown and his hair was a thick, black bush. His tunic was green and dirty and his eyes were brown, wide and full of fear. “My purse”, she hissed and pressed a hand onto his mouth to prevent him from screaming. “Give it back”

The boy gave her a fearful nod and his hand reached down to a small bag he carried on his belt. While he did so, Ilish started to hear something. Words, from the tent right next to her, a tent that was supposed to be empty.

“Thank you for coming, Taenora”, a familiar voice sounded. Philip Loren was a regular customer and over the past week, his drinking habit has gotten worse, to the point where it started to concern her. “Gladly, Philip”, a hoarsy female voice answered, followed by a slight cough. “Thank you for receiving me so quickly” A short pause followed. “And you must be Torold, correct?”

Another familiar voice sounded. Torold Stratford was the local brewer, a sturdy man who still delivered his beverages personally, despite the fact that he was older than Audrey. “Correct. It is a pleasure, Lady Taenora”, he answered in his deep, warm voice. “I believe we have a common goal”

“Correct”, Taenora answered. Before she could continue to listen, Ilish shifted her attention back to the boy below her, specifically to the thing he was holding in his hand. It wasn't her purse. Actually, it wasn't a purse at all. It was a glass bottle and it contained the very same sparkling powder she had seen earlier, the one the illusionist used to temporarily blind his audience. The boy shattered the bottle right next to him, his eyes closed and Ilish just had the time to let out a loud curse.

Then, her world exploded in lightning. Pain flashed through her head, as the boy managed to squirm away from underneath her. White lights danced in front of her eyes, confused, stunned and blinded her, but her hands darted forwards, grabbed a thin ankle and firmly held onto it.

Her grip was strong enough to force the boy back onto the ground. “My purse!”, she yelled, as her sight slowly returned, if blurry. “Give it back, you damn thief!” The boy tried to get away from her, but she steadily crawled towards him, while her senses sharpened again.

Before she had reached him, a strong hand grabbed Ilish's neck and effortlessly lifted her up in the air. Immediately, the boy tried to get away from her, but a second hand, apparently belonging to the same man, grabbed his ankle, lifting him up in the air as well, just upside down. Ilish was looking into the face of an older man, perhaps in his mid-forties. He had pale skin and long dark hair, which fell far over his shoulders, with a bushy beard falling down onto his chest. His face was stern and he had his thick eyebrows furrowed. The most impressive feature about his body was his incredibly toned physique. He was not only extremely tall and muscular, but the muscles were clearly visible underneath his open vest and seemed far larger than the ones she had seen with warriors or knights.

He growled something and it took Ilish a moment to understand the words. “Thieves?”, he asked, with a thick, unfamiliar accent. Ilish pointed at the boy, who tried to free himself from the tall man. The man's eyebrows furrowed even more, as he glanced towards the tent. Ilish noticed that the people inside had stopped talking. “Taenora!”, he yelled with his deep voice.

“Bring them in, Ulaf”, the hoarsy, female voice sounded and the man followed the order. Without any sort of effort, he carried Ilish and the boy around the tent, always keeping them at an arm's length. Ilish had already realized how futile any form of resistance was, but the boy still tried to reach his belt, where he undoubtedly hit another bottle of his sparkling powder.

The inside of the tent was dimly lit, but Ilish saw three people. One of them was Philip Loren. He looked tired, his blonde hair more messy than usual. The look in his mismatched eyes was surprised as he threw a glance at her.

Next to him stood Torold Stratford. He was an older man, but her friend Megur considered him handsome nonetheless, with high cheekbones and a chiselled jawline. While he was tall and sturdy, he was no comparison to the man that was holding onto her and the boy. His chocolate brown hair was cut short, but his beard was long. He looked similarly surprised and he opened his mouth to speak.

Finally, the third person in the room was a woman. She was younger than Torold and the strongman, but a bit older than Philip, her beautiful face already showing early signs of aging and fine wrinkles were visible around her mouth. Her hair fell down onto her shoulders and it had a vibrant, brown colour, without even the hint of grey. The look on her face was not displeased, instead, Ilish noticed her friendly smile.

“Ilish?”, Torold asked and the woman glanced at him. “Let them down, Ulaf”, she said and the strongman followed her order immediately. Softly, he set Ilish and the boy back onto the ground. “You know them?”, she asked and Torold shook his head.

“Just the girl”, he answered. “This is Ilish Granver, the local barmaid. She's a good lass. We told you about her, remember? Don't know the boy though” Ilish crossed her arms. “That's cause he's not from here”, she answered. “Stole my purse while the illusionist down the street had his performance”

An embarrassed smile appeared on the boy's face. “Hello”, he said in an upbeat tone, but his cheeks blushed. The woman narrowed her eyes, though her friendly smile remained. “I remember you”, she said. “You're the assistant of Magnus the illusionist, aren't you?” The boy gulped, before he gave her a nod. “My name is Bennett, m'lady Taenora”

“Well, Bennett, it appears you've upset the girl”, Taenora answered and turned towards Ilish. “My apologies for Ulaf. He has a good heart, even if he's a bit gruff at times. I hope he hasn't hurt you” Ilish shook her head and smiled as the strongman gave her a loveable smile. “Sorry...”, he mumbled.

“It's alright”, Ilish said and Taenora gave her a nod. “Fine then. Bennett, I'm going to let you leave now. Tell Magnus that I expect to talk to him once I'm done here”, she said kindly and Ilish saw how the boy breathed in relief. The woman's expression hardened. “Also, tell him that running away is impossible. My men will watch him”, she added and the boy gave her a nod.

“I'll tell him m'lady Taenora”, he said, before he tried to squirm past the strongman behind him, who still blocked his way. “Bennett...”, Taenora said sternly and the boy sighed. With a friendly smile he turned towards Ilish. “My apologies”, he said and sounded honest. Under her stern glare, he gave her back her purse. “Apology accepted”, she said coldly and then, he was gone.

Ilish turned towards Philip, Torold and Taenora. “So... what exactly is going on here?”, she asked. Torold crossed his arms, while Taenora smiled at her, but it was Philip who answered. “We were actually hoping to talk to you, sooner or later”, he explained. “What we're talking about tonight concerns you as well” He sighed. “Tell me, what do you know about the man called 'Kreep'?”

Memories flashed through her mind. A disfigured face. A monotone way of speaking. His two knives, striking at Lawsen, while Wolfius cut Alexander's throat. “What about him?”, she asked.

“As a matter of fact, we believe he is here, at the fair. All kinds of unusual people find a place here and it is impossible to control them”, Taenora explained and her smile faded. “Philip approached me, seeking for help in hunting this beast down. Usually, I wouldn't have agreed to such a barbaric thing, but... a murderer running around between our tents. I have a daughter in your age...”

“What Taenora wants to say is, you are the only one who actually knows how he looks like”, Torold continued to explain. “The city guard does not even try to find him. I know it, because my brother is one of them”

“So, you want my help?”, she asked and Philip gave her a nod. “Indeed. We don't want to kill him, we merely want to capture him, to bring him to the city guard. Nathamer can take his head, but we want to keep our city safe”, he explained to her. “You are the only one who might be able to recognize him”

Ilish didn't even need to think about it. The image of Kreep, with Lawsen's blood on his teeth was burnt into her mind. “I'm in”, she said. “How can I help?” Immediately, she saw that Philip and Torold glared at each other. “This was something we just thought about”, Torold answered. “You see, I have a lead. My brother has seen a guy that might be this Kreep. Hides his face underneath some sort of mask or helmet, shaped like a cat's head, probably because of the scars”

Philip let out a displeased growl. “What Torold would like to say is, he wants to concentrate on hunting down one specific guy”, he said. “Meanwhile, I think we shouldn't limit us to that cat-masked weirdo. We don't even know if Kreep is currently wearing a mask. I want to search thoroughly over the whole fair and beyond, using Taenora's men and a few concerned citizens”

“Which is likely going to alert him”, Torold voiced his concern. Both looked at Ilish, who slowly raised an eyebrow as she understood. “You want me to decide?”, she asked. Philip shook his head. “We'll decide together. Taenora has a vote as well. We'd just like to hear your opinion”

Taenora smiled at her, a motherly and cheerful smile. “Take your time, girl. I need to think as well. It's either a small, concentrated operation to take down Torold's guy with the cat-mask, or a large, thorough search, which might alert this Kreep”, she summarized.

[Support Philip's plan] [Support Torold's plan]

• [Support Torold's plan]

Drent There was no other way, he had to intervene. Garen was not only out of line, he was about to snap. He had a sword and Edonia still

• [Support Torold's plan] Phillips plan is a bit too reckless to me.

Drent There was no other way, he had to intervene. Garen was not only out of line, he was about to snap. He had a sword and Edonia still

• [Support Philip's plan]

• [Support Philip's Plan] Seems better.

• [Support Phillip's plan]

• [Support Philip's plan]

Sign in to comment in this discussion.