Forum of Thrones: An Interactive Story

Comments

• (Cut Lenriandas ties)

(Search the chest)

Samantha The only thing both, Samantha and Sasha, were quite saddened about was the fact that they had no horses to ride on. Other than t

• Oh, sorry. That actually explains a few things. Its just that they sound so similar.

Thanks, I am glad you enjoyed it! Though, to avoid confusion I should clarify, I did not misspell Jaron, as he didn't even appear in this pa

• [Cut Lenrianda's ties]

[Search the desk]

Samantha The only thing both, Samantha and Sasha, were quite saddened about was the fact that they had no horses to ride on. Other than t

• edited May 2016

Great parts!

[Cut Lenrianda's ties] I think we can believe her on this. I'm interested to see this Nym.

[Search the desk] Seems like a logical place to look from, though it may be too easy. Anyway, I enjoy these tidbits about Aegon, and the callback to the Celtigar ambassador was nice. Also, at this point I can say I thoroughly enjoy Jenna as a character, so great job! :D

• [Cut Lenrianda's ties]

[Search the desk]

• [Cut Lenrianda's ties]

[Search the desk]

• [Keep her tied up]

[Search the wardrobe]

• [Cut Lenrianda's ties]

[Search the cupboard]

• The Voting is closed!

Samantha is going to cut Lenrianda's ties

Jenna is going to search the desk

I am unsurprised by the second choice. When searching a room for any kind of evidence, I see the desk as the most obvious place to begin. Doesn't necessarily mean it's the best, but it is the one I was expecting. With the first choice I was unsure what you would pick, though the final results have been very clearly in favour of cutting Lenrianda's ties. It remains to be seen if this was the better choice.

The next part is going to be out today. Originally, it was supposed to be out yesterday, but I was unable to do much writing yesterday, as I spent a majority of it as a heartbroken, empty shell, dead inside after the most recent episode of Game of Thrones kicked me harder in the feels than the Red Wedding. However, the part is finally making good progress and I think I'm able to finish it today. It will feature PoV's from Raenna and Edrick, both of which will have a small timeskip of about two days to their respective journeys. The last time Raenna was seen was at the end of Chapter 6. Back then, she and Terroma managed to save Kersea's sister Briar from the dungeons underneath the Hightower, with the help of Samuel Harrington, to whom Raenna developed a romantic interest. She also encountered Samantha's acquaintance Davith, who managed the impressive feat of surviving a whole week down in the labyrinth and she also managed to free two sellswords, Brandon Snow and Ando Pyre. Unfortunately, not everything was good at the end of her storyline, as Terroma learned about Ellena's abduction at the hands of Noelle. He was informed that she wishes to meet him somewhere north of Oldtown and that she wishes to trade Ellena for Briar. Terroma, who received a wound during the fight below the Hightower, decided to chase after her, not to accept the deal, but to hunt her down. For this, he allied himself with two characters from the earlier parts of Jaron's storyline, the Ghiscari slavers Abbas and Bakr, who have experience like no other when it comes to hunt people. Meanwhile, the hedge knight Edrick received the mission to find Lor Barroth Boleyn's missing daughter Alys. For this task, he allied with Alys' betrothed, Dante Karstark, as well as Dante's squire Darreth and the local hunter Leo York, who is the only one out of their group to actually know Alys. The first and so far only lead they have is that Alys was rumoured to have visited the lands of the neighbouring House Frostborn. The lord of this house, Lionel Frostborn, has offered his help in finding Alys, if Lord Barroth agrees to help him in return, though he failed to specify the nature of the help he seeks. Edrick decided to travel to the lands of House Frostborn together with his companions, to hopefully get onto Alys' trail.

• Yes! Two of my favourite POV's. ^_^

The Voting is closed! Samantha is going to cut Lenrianda's ties Jenna is going to search the desk I am unsurprised by the second ch

• Raenna

Raising a hand and commanding the others to stop, Abbas crouched down, his hands skilfully moving across the muddy ground, until, he spotted what he was looking for. Despite the setting sun, Raenna was still able to see the tracks he was pointing at “Three people came through here, not long ago. One of them was carrying something. Not too heavy, but heavy enough for him to leave deeper tracks”, Abbas explained. “Your girl, I assume”

“That's oddly specific”, Davith mumbled, as he was staring daggers at the back of Abbas' head. The Ghiscari didn't even turn around and a smug smirk formed on his face. “I've been doing this for a very long time, Westerosi”, he said calmly. “My experience is out of question”

Davith frowned upon these words and Raenna shared his feelings. She hated Abbas, not for his smugness, not for his belittling attitude or his atrocious sense of humour. She hated him for being a slaver and she hated him even more for freely admitting to it. There were not many things Raenna categorically hated, but slavery was among them. She knew, her own line of work could be morally questionable at times. Slavery however, slavery was always wrong. During her childhood on Dragonstone, she grew up with the stories of what her own people did to their slaves. These stories filled her with disgust. They filled her with shame. And looking at Abbas, a man who was proud about the very same kind of work, they also filled her with anger.

For two days, they had marched. Terroma was pushing forwards, despite his wound. Only slightly behind him were the Ghiscari, the slavers. Whereas Raenna had an almost instant disgust towards Abbas, she was still undecided about his companion. From what she had seen so far, Bakr was, by all means, a good-natured and jolly man. He had the physique of a bear, but his temper reminded Raenna of an old, loyal dog. It was a mystery to her how a man like him could end up in such a line of work.

Shortly behind her walked Brandon and Ando, who was carrying a sleeping Briar on his shoulders. Raenna considered it a good thing to have the sellswords with her during this mission. Brandon's honest affability contrasted Abbas' mocking smugness, while Ando was a man she actually trusted with keeping an eye on a child like Briar.

Ah, Briar. She sighed at the thought of the girl. Terroma's merciless pace hit her the hardest and most of the time, Ando or, rarely, Bakr had to carry her. On top of that came a deep worry Raenna felt whenever she looked at her. By all means, Briar seemed to be a normal, cheerful girl, with a sort of innocence Raenna wished to protect, knowing fully well that the world would take it from her soon enough. However, it was this innocence that baffled her. After what this girl had been through, Raenna couldn't grasp why she still was so normal. At the same time, she started to fear that she herself might be the problem here, that she had just become too jaded, too cynical.

While she thought this, she slowed down, away from Abbas and Davith and past Bakr, so that she was able to walk next to Ando and Brandon. Ando gave her a welcoming nod, but remained silent. He even put a finger onto his lips and as Raenna glanced towards Briar on his shoulders, she realized the girl was sleeping.

A smirk formed on her lips and she looked at Brandon. He returned the look, out of his deep, grey eyes and he slowed down, signalling her to do the same. Now at the very end of the group, Raenna looked down the muddy road they were travelling. Especially during this time of the year, when heavy storms made it a chore to travel, it was one of the least used roads in the entire kingdom and during the past two days, Raenna hadn't seen anyone that wasn't part of their group.

“What is it?”, she asked and Brandon sternly looked at Terroma, who was arguing with Abbas and Davith at the front. “I'm worried about him”, he revealed. She gave him a nod. “So am I”, she admitted. “He is pushing himself too hard. With his wound...” She paused and Brandon looked at her with understanding. “He wants to find this girl, Ellena. I can understand where he's coming from, but still...”, he answered. “Even I start to feel the exhaustion and I'm a Northerner”

Raenna raised an eyebrow at this remark. “What does that have to do with anything?”, she asked. Now, he smirked, small and tired. “We Northerners are nothing if not resilient”, he answered. “I've spent a decade in my line of work and it took me from one end of Westeros to the other and beyond. This march is not the most exhausting thing I ever underwent, but it's pretty far up in the ranking”

“You've seen lots of the world?”, Raenna asked in curiosity and he gave her a nod. “Westeros at least. I rarely had business beyond the Narrow Sea, but I've been to Braavos once. It's the most beautiful city in the world”

“It is”, Raenna confirmed and she smiled, as she remembered the streets of Braavos, its canals, its temples. Some of the happiest moments of her life have taken place in Braavos. “Which one are you from?”, Brandon asked. “The Free Cities, I mean” She shook her head, still smiling. “I'm not from the Free Cities, Ser”, she corrected him. “I was born on Dragonstone”

Brandon raised his eyebrows. “I beg your pardon, mylady. I never saw one with your looks outside the Free Cities”, he said and she shrugged. “Not the first time I hear it. Probably won't be the last. Where are you from?”, she asked.

Now, Brandon's tired smile faded. “Some place up north. The name does not matter. It's a bit larger than your typical farm, though it's certainly not quite Harrenhal, or Casterly Rock”, he answered. He yawned and Raenna quickly did the same. She told herself she wasn't tired, but slowly, she had to admit that a rest would be welcome. “I'm not sure how long he plans on keeping up that pace, though I'm surprised that man is still walking”, he added.

“Same here. Let's hope the priestess is not too far away”, Raenna remarked. She narrowed her eyes as she noticed Terroma and Davith arguing up at the front. Both men had enough decency to keep their voice down, so that they wouldn't wake up Briar, but from their gestures, it was clear to her that the discussion was heated.

“You better check that one out”, Brandon advised her and she gave him a nod, as she fastened her steps. While walking, she threw a glance at Ando. The stocky man was still gently carrying Briar, who was still soundly asleep. A concerned look appeared on his face as he watched the argument. Next, she passed Bakr, who gave her a friendly, goofy grin. She quickly looked away and caught up with Terroma, Davith and Abbas.

“This is insane”, Davith hissed, clearly agitated, to which Terroma immediately sent him an angry glare. “Insane?”, he barked, his usually calm demeanour visibly cracking. Up close, Raenna saw that he was sweating and she sent a worried glance towards his side. “I suggest you watch your tongue”, he added, heavily breathing. He turned around, noticing Raenna. This time, he did not smile at her.

“What's going on?”, she asked. Instead of Terroma, it was Abbas who answered. “Only a small dispute over our next steps. Davith here seems to disagree with our leader”, he said and Raenna narrowed her eyes. “I wasn't talking to you”, she growled and looked at Terroma and Davith.

The younger man sighed. “Abbas makes it sound worse than it is”, he explained. “I was mentioning Terroma's wound, I was mentioning how exhausted we all are” He looked past her. “I see Brandon yawning. I see Ando, too stubborn to complain about having the girl on his shoulders all of the time”, he said and now he directly looked at Raenna. “And you look a lot more tired than you think you do” Raenna blinked, before she gave him a reluctant nod. She was tired. Terroma was wounded and even men like Ando or Bakr slowly started to get to the point where they could use a rest.

Terroma shook his head. “And I say, we push forwards. Abbas says the tracks are fresh”, he argued and Abbas gave him a nod. “Six hours at most”, the slaver answered. Raenna sighed and took a step towards Terroma. Closer, she was able to see that he was shivering. It was only slightly, but still enough to horrify her, as she had to wonder how bad his wound truly was. During the one short rest they had taken the day before, he had refused to allow her to look at the wound and instead insisted on treating it on his own.

“Terroma...”, she said softly and a pained look appeared on his face. He wasn't looking at her, instead he was looking into the distance past her, at nothing in particular. “Your wound needs to be looked at. You took quite a nasty cut down in the labyrinth”

Now, his glare hit her and she gulped. Anger flared up in his eyes, though she was almost sure that it was mostly directed at himself. “That wouldn't have happened if you would have kept your priorities straight!”, he lashed out at her.

Even though she knew that his anger was caused by the physical pain he was in, the implication of his sentence still managed to stir her own anger. “What have you said?”, she said, calmly, but not even bothering with hiding how upset she was at what he just implied.

Terroma shook his head and anger was replaced by pain. “We must push forwards”, he urged her and pressed one of his hands onto his wounded side, his face turning into a grimace. “They are close. We can't afford to lose them now. Please, Raenna, little Raenna, you must understand...”

He paused and breathed heavily, while Davith shook his head. “They need to rest as well”, he stated. “I understand why you do this, but what good comes out of pushing yourself and all of us to the point where we're exhausted by the time we face the priestess and her servants? We need to rest, or else we won't have the strength to strike” He looked at Raenna, his icy-blue eyes met hers. “You understand that, don't you?”

[Side with Terroma] [Side with Davith]

Edrick

Under the cold, but bright sun of an autumn afternoon, four horses moved down the dusty road that connected the lands of House Boleyn with those of House Frostborn. The ride had taken them the better part of two days, but Edrick was glad for their strong horses. Dante's black destrier was bred at the Rills, a gift from House Ryswell to Lord Karstark, while Darreth had taken his lithe, brown mare from the stables of Karhold. The horses of Edrick and Leo couldn't match in terms of looks or heritage, but they were still a stalwart northern breed.

“I present you Thaumaturge Keep, seat of House Frostborn”, Dante announced, as they stopped atop a small hill, overlooking the valley below. The castle stood in its centre, surrounded only by a small circle of cleared ground, with the half of the valley that was located closer to Karhold mostly covered with a dark forest, while the half that lay closer to the Dreadfort cut clean, the Last River faintly visible in the distance. Tall, slightly crooked trees made up a majority of the view in front of Edrick, though the castle behind them towered above all.

The seat of House Frostborn was old, ancient even. From what Dante had told him, Edrick knew that it started off as a walled fort, thousand of years ago, before it eventually grew into a formidable stronghold, befitting for a house that had been the first line of defence against the Red Kings for a thousand years during the Age of Heroes, until Rogar Bolton bent the knee to the Hungry Wolf, Theon Stark. Even nowadays, they were still vigilant. The wall formed a large rectangle and was noticeably thicker and longer at the western side, the one closer to Bolton lands, with two sturdy towers on each side. From above the hill, Edrick saw the keep itself, a high, square building.

“There we go”, Darreth sighed and Edrick glanced at him. “Are you alright?”, he asked and Darreth gave him a nod. “I'm fine. It's just... I have a bad feeling about this, you know?”, he answered. Now, Dante moved his horse closer towards them. “What do you mean, brother?”, he asked.

“Call me paranoid, but something got me thinking”, Darreth answered calmly. “House Frostborn is allied to House Boleyn. Lord Barroth formally asked for help in locating his daughter and Lionel Frostborn mentioned that he has knowledge of her whereabouts” He paused and carefully looked down the narrow road that led through the forest and towards the castle. “Why all the secrecy? Why does he insist on a personal visit to share his information with us?”

“You're not trusting House Frostborn?”, Dante asked and Darreth sighed. “I don't know if I can trust them. They've been bloody close to Bolton lands for centuries”, he answered. Now, Dante raised an eyebrow. “What is that supposed to mean?”, he asked. “House Bolton is an ally to House Karstark. We serve the same king”

“Yeah, and before that they wore the skins of your ancestors like cloaks”, Darreth argued. “I know, without Rogar Bolton the Andals would have taken the North thousands of years ago, but that hasn't stopped them from being uneasy bannermen at best ever since. Besides, it should be common sense to be wary around a house that feels the need to constantly remind you how sharp their blades are” He looked down towards the castle. “And neither do I trust people who've been in direct contact with them for all these centuries”, he continued. “This, all of this... I don't know, Dan, I don't like it. There has been this incident with... was it the secondborn?”

“Probably”, Dante answered, with a furrowed brow. “Or was it the thirdborn? I only know about the eldest, Ser Alphyn. He almost got betrothed to Lady Alys before...” He paused momentarily. “Before Lord Barroth and my uncle decided to betroth her to me”, he finally continued. “Ser Alphyn is twice her age and I've heard he has a bastard who is a grown man himself”

“Not quite the match of her dreams, I suppose”, Darreth remarked dryly. “Anyways, what I mean to say is, I don't trust Lord Frostborn's intentions. Something does not feel right here and the dark reputation the current generation of Frostborns has does not help with it”

“You mentioned their reputation once again”, Edrick remarked. “Have mercy on a poor hedge knight. I've never even heard of the house before we started our journey, so enlighten me. What kind of reputation do they have? Surely not worse than the Boltons, huh?”

“By far not”, Darreth answered immediately. “Their reputation is merely dark, but even I have to admit that I'd rather spend a day at their keep than at the Dreadfort” He paused and looked at Dante. “Which does not really answer your question. Dante, perhaps you can help?”

Dante shook his head. “I'm afraid not”, he answered. “I've always been more interested in history than current happenings. All I know is that there has been an incident with one of his sons. Lupin, I think. Or was it Lucien?” He sighed. “Malina would know. She could tell you the names of every Frostborn, including the maiden name of Lady Frostborn and her close relatives. When it comes to recent politics, she's the one to go”

“Should have taken her with you then”, Darreth said with a cocky grin. “She would've been a welcome companion” Dante shook his head. He wasn't smiling, though he didn't seem irritated either. “Couldn't do that to her. Weeks, perhaps months on the road, perhaps through Ironborn territory if Lady Alys went that far” Finally, a sly smirk appeared on his face. “Besides, having you close to her the whole day? I really couldn't do that to her”

Darreth chuckled, though he shook his head. “What do you mean, Dan?”, he asked. “I would have been tender” Dante rolled his eyes. “I have no doubt about it”, he admitted. “I couldn't have done that to me though”

With a grin, the squire was the first to move his horse down the hill, to the forest that made up the eastern side of the valley. Edrick, Dante and Leo followed. The young hunter had watched the banter between Dante and his squire with a silent frown, while Edrick had been more amused. Slowly, the four made their way through the forest.

“As much as I love talking about fair Malina, there's still one thing we have to discuss”, Darreth finally brought up again, once they had all entered the forest. “It's likely that Frostborn's guards only allow us to enter unarmed. I just have to wonder, what happens if we refuse to give up our weapons?”

“Refuse?”, Dante asked. “Darreth, I am the last person to blindly trust someone, but I don't think I have anything to fear from my uncle's bannermen” He decidedly shook his head. “If they ask us, we will give up our weapons, if only to avoid a minor scandal”

Darreth sighed. “Fine”, he answered in defeat. “I know that look. Don't think I can convince you otherwise” Leo looked equally unhappy. “I don't know much about the Frostborn family, but the dark rumours have reached me as well”, he revealed. “I don't like this either”

“You will still follow my wish”, Dante declared and Leo gave him a disgruntled nod. “I don't have much of a choice, Ser”, he answered and the last word sounded almost poisonous. Edrick remained silent. Instead of answering, he focussed on the gates of the castle in the distance. He especially focussed on three riders who rapidly approached them. The first of his companions to spot them was Leo. The young man narrowed his eyes. “Looks like they saw us coming”, he remarked.

The three riders quickly revealed themselves to be guardsmen. Two of them were wearing simple chainmail and leather helmets that partially concealed their faces. The tabard on their chest showed two wolves, back to back, one of them white and the other one black. The third rider, wearing the same attire, was in Edrick's age, a man with a strong build, a well-groomed beard and black hair that fell upon his shoulders. The look out of his dark blue eyes was sceptical. “Welcome to House Frostborn's lands”, he greeted them with a firm, loud voice. “What is the reason for four armed men to travel to Thaumaturge Keep?”

The first to answer was Dante. He gave the man a polite nod. “Greetings, Ser”, he said. “My name is Dante Karstark, nephew of Lord Yoren Karstark. These are my companions, Ser Edrick of the Wolfswood, Leo York and my squire Darreth Kailen. We are here in the name of Lord Barroth Boleyn, who tasked us with finding his daughter, Lady Alys”

The guardsman's eyes opened widely, as he and his men slowly descended from their horses. “Ser Dante, it is an honour”, he greeted him. “My name is Arthries, I am Lord Frostborn's captain of the guard” He took a polite bow, as Edrick and his companions descended from their horses as well. “The lord is expecting us, I presume?”, Dante asked and Arthries gave him a nod. “Yes, Ser. He was expecting Lord Barroth, but a member of House Karstark is an even more welcome guest”, he answered. “I will lead you to him at once. Though, I must ask of you to hand me your weapons. They will be stored safely and you'll get them back once you continue your journey”

“Of course”, Dante answered and handed the scabbard containing his longsword to the guardsman to his right, followed by a smaller scabbard containing a dagger. Visibly unhappy about this course of events, Darreth followed his example, silently handing over a longsword. Then came Leo, who handed over a longbow, as well as a quiver full of arrows. Finally, Arthries looked at Edrick in expectation, who was already holding the scabbard with his own longsword in his hand, ready to hand it over. Just as he did so, he realized something. In his boot, he kept a knife, strapped to his lower leg. Darreth's earlier warning was still fresh in his mind. Perhaps he could get away with keeping the knife, without anyone learning about it...

[Keep the knife] [Give up the knife]

• [Side with Davith]

[Give up the knife] -respect muh authoritay

Raenna Raising a hand and commanding the others to stop, Abbas crouched down, his hands skilfully moving across the muddy ground, until,

• [Side with Terroma] Exhausted is good, excellent. My favorite slavers are here too.

[Keep the knife] Let's stab some peasants.

Raenna Raising a hand and commanding the others to stop, Abbas crouched down, his hands skilfully moving across the muddy ground, until,

• [Side with Davith]

[Keep the knife]

• [Side with Davith]

[Keep the knife]

• [Side with Davith] "She had become too jaded, too cynical." Sounds like a Liquid character ;)

[Keep the knife] Loved the Andal Invasion references :D

• edited May 2016

[Side with Davith] Terroma isn't thinking clearly. We need to be smart otherwise we've got no chance of beating Noelle and Marak.

[Give up the knife] The first impression's important. If Edrick's caught with the knife it won't win them any favors.

• [Side with Davith] It would do good to get some rest. I mean, Noelle and co. aren't really running away from them anyway, right? They want Briar after all.

[Give up the knife] I don't think we need weapons here. Frostborns may have a dark reputation, but if they harm their liege lord's nephew (or his men) they'll soon have reputation of idiots - or no reputation at all.

• edited May 2016

[Side with Davith]

[Give up the Knife] Let's be a good northener

• SO here I am again! :D

**[Side with Terroma] **

[Give up the Knife]

• (Side with Davith)

(Give up the knife)

• [Side with Davith]

[Keep the knife]

• [Side with Davith]

[Give up the knife]

• [Side with Davith]

[Give up the knife]

• [Side with Terroma]

[Keep the knife]

• The Voting is closed!

Raenna is going to side with Davith

Edrick is going to give up the knife

I am unsurprised by the vast majority in favour of the first option. Terroma is not quite rational right now, he is obviously heavily affected by the situation and by his wound. Therefore, I would have chosen similarly. At the same time, this is going to have some consequences and this time, I can't even say if these consequences will be good or bad. It comes down to where your sympathies lie. Edrick's choice is also going to have consequences. One will be that he is now more willing to trust the intentions of House Frostborn and to relax around them, which would have been different if he would have decided to keep the knife.

The next part is going to be out today, quite soon probably. It is going to be a Lucas part and it will be quite important to set up future events, especially with the choice you made and the choice you will make. The last Lucas part dealt with the aftermath of his fight against Aylard. Successfully restraining his anger, Lucas spared Aylard's life and allowed him to leave. While Aylard made it clear that he still despises Lucas for his role in Lunett's death, the two men reached some sort of an uneasy and unstable truce, as both have a common enemy in Mullendore. Before Lucas could relax however, a new problem arose, in form of Darren Tallwood. The decision to reveal Harris' crimes to him in Chapter 6 resulted in Darren confronting Harris, which culminated in a fight between them. As soon as the fight broke out, Ian Smallwood went to get help from the Great Hall, namely Argella, Willfred and Emphryus. The princess virtually ended the fight, though Darren was still vocal with accusing Harris of being a murderer. Harris meanwhile accused Darren of lying, in the attempt to save his own skin. This prompted Argella to ask Lucas and Leonard who is telling the truth here. After a bit of thinking, Lucas decided to tell her the truth and to reveal Harris' actions.

• Lucas

Lucas glanced from Argella, whose dark blue eyes looked at him with curiosity, to Harris, who sent him a piercing, green glare. He closed his eye and gulped. It was one thing to hide the truth, to postpone the reveal until a later time. Outright lying on the other hand would lead to no good. By doing so, Lucas knew he would shatter Darren's trust, his friendship and perhaps even his loyalty. At worst, he might even end up ruining his chances to bring Harris down at a later point.

He opened his eye again, this time knowing what he would do. “Darren told the truth”, he said. Harris let out a pained sigh, as he slowly glanced down onto the ground. Leonard threw him an alarmed look, while Darren gave him a triumphant nod.

“He murdered Ser Ilhan Lagoon, the previous master-at-arms in cold blood to secure his position. He tried to hide Lord Robert Raylan's last will in an attempt to take control over the city”, Lucas continued to explain and now, he saw a look of triumph, not unlike Darren's, appearing on Argella's face, paired with a small smile. Out of the corner of her eye, Argella glanced at Harris and her smile grew colder. “Oh, you lying, little bastard”, she whispered. “I was expecting many things, 'Ser' Harris. But murder? Tell me, what kind of knight murders his own?”

Harris still wasn't looking at her, his intense stare directed at the ground. His fists were clenched, one hand wrapped around the sword he was still holding. Lucas noticed the shivering blade and so did the Stormlander knight. “My princess, be careful! This man...”, he started to say, but Argella cut him off. “Is no danger to me, Ser Emphryus. I doubt he is much of a danger to anyone but himself right now”, she answered.

The knight of the Rock, the one whose vest showed the red lion of House Reyne was still standing between Darren and Harris, though shock and disgust were engraved on his face. “Tell me this is not true”, he growled, glaring at Harris. “Tell me I have not allied with a filthy, cold-blooded murderer” With these words, he moved aside, clearing the way between Darren and Harris.

“A murderer...”, Harris mumbled and looked up. His glare hit Lucas first, it hit him the hardest. “There is blood on my hands, yes. As if your hands are any cleaner! We are knights, warriors, soldiers. We do our duty, no matter how hard it is. We have all killed people before, haven't we?”

“I can only speak for myself”, Argella answered coldly. “But I have never murdered a man. The thought didn't even cross my mind. Does it mean, in your humble and irrelevant opinion, that I have the right to condemn you for what you did, for being a repulsive, duplicitous snake, a man who murdered another man for the sake of mere power?”

Now, Harris' glare hit her, though she didn't even flinch. “I have dedicated my entire life to protect this city and its people”, he growled and in the shiver of his voice, Lucas heard anger, though he also heard guilt and the hint of fear. “I don't claim to be a virtuous man, I don't claim to deserve forgiveness. Ilhan Lagoon was my friend. I sacrificed him and my own honour to get the chance of saving the city I love. You may condemn my actions, but you will not doubt my intentions! I did what I had to do, no matter how hard it was. Power was not my goal. I did my duty and my intentions were pure!”

“Pure intentions...”, Argella sighed and the glare in her eyes gained sharpness. “I doubt the late Ser Ilhan shares your opinion” Harris opened his mouth to protest, but she immediately cut him off. “There are many things I have to learn before I succeed my father, many things I don't know. I don't doubt that you are convinced of your pure intentions”, she continued and the last two words were spoken with a spine-chilling disgust. “But I know that the end does not always justify the means. Tell me, as a man well-versed in history, how many tyrants have claimed the very same thing you just did?” An icy smirk appeared on her face. “You may claim to be different, but at the end of the day, you are nothing but a murderer”

Lucas saw how Harris lost control over his facial expressions for a moment, as his eyes widened with shock and anger. The tip of his sword shivered, until it almost pointed at the princess, who didn't paid any attention towards it. This in turn seemed to anger him even more. Lucas tensed up as the tip of the blade wandered higher, almost cutting across her body. Similarly, Ser Emphryus and the knight of Reyne pointed their blades at him, though the princess only raised a hand, signalling them to stop.

“That, Ser Harris, would be the biggest mistake of your tragic life”, she stated, completely unimpressed, as Harris' sword stopped inches from her throat. “Harm me and my father will raze this city and your entire kingdom to the ground. I will no longer be there to hold him back. Harm me and you destroy everything you claim to fight for” They glared at each other, Harris shivering, close to a breakdown, while Argella only showed merciless determination. “And now, in the name of your pure intentions, drop your weapon or I will make you”, she hissed.

Finally, painfully slow, Harris lowered his sword, until it fell out of his weak hands. “My princess, let me kill this man for you”, Emphryus offered immediately and Argella glanced over her shoulder, at him and at Darren. “Nobody is going to kill anyone right now”, she stated, to Darren's visible confusion. “Princess Argella, this man just admitted a murder”, he started to argue. She gave him a nod. “And do you wish to be better than him, Ser?”, she simply asked, to which he remained silent.

She looked back at Harris. “I don't know how the Reach deals with murderers, but I doubt you are backwardly enough to just hang them. Even a man like him deserves a trial”, she explained and the hint of cruelty flashed up in her eyes. “A public trial” Harris sighed at this statement and slowly shook his head, averting his gaze from her, as she continued to speak. “Everyone will hear what he did. Everyone will hear what he has to say in his defence. There will be three judges who decide what to do with him. And, of course, he can always choose to take the black, or he can fight in a trial by combat”

Now, Harris glanced up again. “If I hadn't taken drastic measures, this city...”, he started, though she cut him off. “Save your breath, Ser”, she adviced him. “I don't want to hear your pitiful excuse. Not yet at least. A just trial is the only thing you can expect from me”

Instead of answering to her, Harris' defeated glare hit Lucas. There was no warmth in his green eyes, only disappointment. “I hope you are happy now, boy”, he growled. “You told me you need my help. Well, I would have helped you. I would have protected you, I would have accepted any punishment you deem fitting, if you could have kept your damn mouth shut for a few more weeks!”

Lucas gulped and for some reason, Harris' disappointment honestly hit him. Murderer or not, he once looked up to this man. He tensed up as he felt a hand on his upper arm and as he turned his head, he saw Leonard. “He got a point, Flowers”, he said calmly and his expression did not give away how he felt about this decision. “We need him”

Now, Lucas sighed and looked at the princess. “Princess Argella, I am afraid the situation is not that easy”, he said, immediately gaining her attention. He also gained the attention of everyone else. Darren narrowed his eyes, the displeased look from their earlier conversation returning. Emphryus glared at him and his stare was making Lucas quite uncomfortable. Finally, there was the Reyne who seemed curious.

Their expecting stares were piercing through Lucas, who clenched his unwounded hand and averted his eye. He was painfully aware of his looks and right now, it affected him more than he was willing to admit. “I...”, he stuttered. “The man who...”

He glanced at the princess and was surprised to see that the cold look on her face slowly mellowed down. “I understand”, she said and glanced at the men around her. “Ser, why don't we go for a walk, during which you can tell me everything I need to know about this situation”

Lucas raised an eyebrow, which immediately sent a shiver of pain through the scarred flesh on his face. “I...”, he said. “I am honoured” She gave him a nod. “You are”, she confirmed. Behind her, Ser Emphryus tensed up. “My princess, allow me to accompany you”, he immediately offered. She shook her head, though the look in her eyes was softer than before. “I need you to stay, Emphryus”, she explained. “Make sure that there's no bloodshed unless I order it”

This seemed to please the knight, who gave her a grim salute. Argella glanced at Harris and momentarily, cold fury flashed up in her eyes. The look she gave Lucas was curious and almost understanding though. He shivered as he felt a hand on his shoulder. “Make sure to convince her, Flowers”, Leonard whispered. “If she won't be willing to spare Harris, we need another ally. It can't hurt to be on her good side”

He gave the other knight a nod and then, the princess stood next to him. She had approached from the right, from his blind spot, though as she spoke, she walked around him, until he was able to see her without moving his head. “Shall we?”, she asked and Lucas gave her a silent nod. Together, they started to walk and Lucas noticed the urging look on Leonard's face as he passed him.

Argella was walking close to him and while he usually would have enjoyed this circumstance, it made him feel uncomfortable. He never had a problem approaching a beautiful woman, though usually, he knew they enjoyed his presence as well. Now, after Oldtown, he felt disfigured in her presence. She noticed his stare, looked up and smiled, as they slowly approached the flight of stairs that led up the wall. Her smile quickly faded as she noticed the look in his eye.

“If you allow me a question”, she began. “Who did this to you, Ser Lucas?” He gulped, as she immediately asked the question he struggled to answer. Not because he did not want her to know about Mullendore. It was more... he closed his eye and in his mind, he saw him again. He felt anger. More importantly, he felt fear. “Maron Mullendore”, he finally pressed through his teeth.

As he said these words, Lucas noticed a slight shift of expression on Argella's face. In one moment, she seemed distant and calm. In the next, she momentarily clenched her teeth, a thunder in her eyes. “You know him?”, he asked and she gave him a nod. “Not personally”, she explained as she started to walk up the stairs, he closely behind her. “I have heard about him though. A knight, as they say...” She glanced at the courtyard. “Though that does not mean much in some cases. I know his son”

Her words caused Lucas to remember Dairon. He was Mullendore's son, but it did not save him. “His son?”, Lucas asked and Argella sighed. “His bastard son”, she clarified. “Yoreen Flowers. He's leading parts of your army in the Dornish Marches, fighting side by side with my father's men against the southern raiders”

“Yoreen...”, Lucas repeated. “Never heard of him” The princess reached the top of the stairs. She approached the edge of the wall and the wind started to play with her hair. It was a cold afternoon and her dress seemed too thin for such a weather, more befitting for staying inside. If the cold was uncomfortable for her, she did not show it and Lucas slowly found himself glancing down her body, as she turned around to look down the city. He gulped, as he forced himself to avert his eye.

“The Reach holds more beauty than I was willing to admit”, Argella spoke. “It is softer, calmer than the lands I call home. To my surprise, I even enjoy my stay” She turned around and leant against the wall, just as Lucas walked next to her. “Yet there are still spots that are dark. Ugly even”, she continued. “Tell me, why would Ser Maron Mullendore torture you like this?”

Lucas sighed, as he focussed onto the distance, staring out to the Sunset Sea. From up here, it was a lovely sight, the golden sun reflecting from the waves. Yet up here, being reminded with what happened to him and reminded of his own failure, enjoying the sight was the last thing he would do. It helped though. He started to speak, but he barely noticed it. The words that came out of his mouth were reluctant at first, hesitating and with long pauses. He spoke and the princess listened with patience, not once did she interrupt him.

And he told her everything, the words just gushed out of his mouth. It wasn't easy and it brought up moments he would rather forget. Mullendore, how Lucas had trusted him, believed in him. He told her everything he knew about Mullendore's plans for Raylansfair. The Sphynx and his knives. And despite the fact that it hurt more than anything else these two men did to him, he also told her about Lunett. Once he had started, it was hard to stop and so he continued, told her how Samantha saved him, how they escaped Oldtown. He even told her about Aylard, what he felt in this moment, what he was considering and why. All this time, she showed little reaction and he in turn felt almost unconnected to the events he talked about, if only for a few precious minutes.

When he was finished, he was still staring out onto the sea. His remaining eye was wet, he felt anger, sorrow and shame. Slowly, he looked to the princess, who was looking back at him, barely showing any emotion. At first he thought she was as calm as the sea behind her. But there was something in her eyes he had not expected. “Are you angry, my princess?”, he asked.

“Shouldn't I be?”, Argella asked in return and in the slightest shivering of her voice, he heard a familiar anger, albeit one that was restrained much better than his own. “It is something to be angry about. What happened...” She sighed and just for one moment, Lucas stopped feeling uncomfortable around her, as he saw something in her eyes that bordered on understanding. “And the girl you mentioned, Lunett Kawl...”, she sighed. “I think, what I want to say is, I am sorry. I shouldn't have asked. Apologies for forcing you to relive these moments”

Lucas shook his head. “You haven't forced me to anything”, he mumbled and looked away again. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw her tensing up. “I know how you feel. The loss. Powerless to save the ones you love”, she said firmly and now he looked up again. “Who was it in your case?”, he asked and realized that he was onto something there. Though she regained her regal composure almost immediately, his question swept away the calmness on her face and shattered her defence.

“I...”, Argella started and paused. “I don't think this is your business” There was no sharpness in her voice, it was more like a plea and he gave her a nod. “Good”, she whispered, as the distant, slightly cold look on her face reappeared. Though, now that he had seen behind it, this coldness no longer seemed genuine.

“With all respect, Ser, you're doing it wrong”, she finally said and Lucas raised an eyebrow. He regretted it again, as pain caused him to clench his teeth. She noticed the expression on his face and gave him a moment to regain his composure. “You're angry, it is clear to see”, she spoke. “But you use it the wrong way. You are angry at yourself, but tell me, what have you done to deserve this anger?”

Lucas gulped. “I... I trusted Maron Mullendore”, he answered weakly and she gave him a nod. “Yes and that was a mistake”, she confirmed bluntly. “But in your situation, I would have done the same mistake. This is not your fault and you shouldn't blame yourself for it. From what you told me, there is only one to blame”

“I took Lunett to Oldtown”, Lucas continued and again, she gave him a nod. “Another tragic mistake”, she spoke. “That does not mean that you are responsible for her death. Just because you brought her to Oldtown does not make you the one who murdered her” She turned to the sea again. “And yet, here you are. A knight, loyal and dutiful, caught into something much bigger than himself. You are angry and you have every right to be angry. Furious even. But you use this anger the wrong way. You direct it at yourself. At the people around you” And then, she glanced back at him. “Tell me, this innkeeper, this Aylard. If you would have killed him, what would you feel right now?”

Her question caused Lucas to look to the ground in shame. “I don't think I could have lived with myself”, he answered truthfully. He noticed that Argella flashed him a smile. “And that, Ser Lucas, proves more than anything else, that you do not deserve to be the target of such anger”, she answered softly. “While I know loss, I don't claim to know the exact nature of your loss. I don't know your pain. But I know your anger”

“What do you want me to do, princess?”, Lucas asked. Her smile did not grow smaller. “I want you to direct your anger at the only man in this world that deserves it. You told me Maron Mullendore has plans for this city, right?”, she asked and he nodded shortly. “Even now, he threatens you and your friends, makes plans to take everything away from you. How does it make you feel?”

Lucas clenched his fist. “Furious”, he answered and her smile turned into a grim smirk. “Good. Furious is good”, she said. “Well, better than self-loathing. It's a beginning. You have to focus on bringing down the man that took all these things from you. You have to prepare for when he makes a move. And he will make a move”

“That's what I need Harris for”, Lucas finally said. She raised an eyebrow, before she shook her head, her dark hair flying in the wind. “Oh no, Ser. Harris Flowers is a small man. Tiny and powerless. Your actions today destroyed him. He will never again rule this city”, she answered. “I don't know yet what will happen to him. Perhaps he is still of use in what's to come. But he is not the one you need”

And Lucas realized what she implied. “You mean... you?”, he asked. “Does it surprise you?”, she asked in return. “I'm here for... what, two hours now? Lord Tyrell lacks the spine to oppose me. Ser Willfred Reyne supports me. Harris Flowers is defeated, though to be fair, that was your doing. My father has the strongest claim to this city, a fact even the gardener king has to accept. Your support would bring me one step closer at claiming this victory in his name”

“You want me to support you?”, Lucas asked and she gave him a nod. “Declare for me and I will remember it. Help me and I will help you in return”, she answered. “You told me you need Harris, but what you really need is a chance against Mullendore” She now fully faced him and the look on her face was stern and determined. “He might be a strong opponent for you alone, but he is nothing to me. Declare for me and together we shall strike down this disgrace for manhood, this false knight”

Lucas noticed that his eye wandered down her body again and as he forced himself to look up, her mouth formed a benign smirk. “Princess Argella, this offer is certainly... alluring. But I am sworn to House Raylan”, he brought up. She shook her head. “You are sworn to a house that is legally extinct. My father is the rightful heir of House Raylan, therefore it is only good and lawful if you support him and me”, she argued. “This is the offer I give to you. I swear, by the gods and by my honour, that I will treat you like the knight you are, that I intend to avenge the injustice you had to suffer and that Maron Mullendore will be my enemy like he is yours. We need to stand united against him” She gave him a kind smile. “Of course, if you need more time to decide, then I will grant it to you”

[Declare for Argella] [Ask for more time to decide]

• [Ask for more time to decide] No harm done?

Well we've ruined yet another character's life. I think Argella is also just playing Lucas for more support. She is still sketchy.

Lucas Lucas glanced from Argella, whose dark blue eyes looked at him with curiosity, to Harris, who sent him a piercing, green glare. He

• [Declare for Argella] Beggars can't be choosers, though I doubt Argella (or her father) will really help with Mullendore. But who else is there really left to side with? Fookin Hobert?

Lucas Lucas glanced from Argella, whose dark blue eyes looked at him with curiosity, to Harris, who sent him a piercing, green glare. He

• [Declare for Argella]

• [Declare for Argella]

• [Declare for Argella]

• [Declare for Argella]

• [Declare for Argella]

• I AM CONFLICTED! I don't want Lucas to put his loyalty to House Raylan behind him but Argella makes a good point. The Raylan's are gone. Maybe it's time to serve a new House. One he may even grow to love and believe in. I'm doing it! I'm a little worried about how Leonard will feel about this. Would he be willing to declare alongside Lucas? [Declare for Argella]

• [Ask for more time to decide] She proposed more time herself, therefore why not...

• (Declare of Argella)

• [Declare for Argella] It's time to cross the Rubicon

• edited May 2016

[Ask for more time to decide] Jeez nothing wrong to take some time o_o

• [Declare for Argella]

Sign in to comment in this discussion.