Forum of Thrones: An Interactive Story

Comments

• That would be an epic chapter to happen during the field of fire, with Lucas riding a stag and Leonard riding a dragon and see who wins from there.

It would be so interesting if Leonard sides with the Targaryens and Lucas with the Stags and have an epic brother v brother battle go on.

• If you mean when we voted for that, no, I voted for focusing on Mullendore.

AgentZ46 posted: »

Didn't you originally want them to focus on Harris rather than Butterfly?

• I mean someone riding a stag vs. someone riding a dragon...

Leonard wins that's all that matters.

Bounden posted: »

That would be an epic chapter to happen during the field of fire, with Lucas riding a stag and Leonard riding a dragon and see who wins from there.

• Of course the dragon wins because Targaryens always win, except when they don't.

I mean someone riding a stag vs. someone riding a dragon... Leonard wins that's all that matters.

• She's "daddy's little girl". Spoiled, snobbish, privileged. She gets everything she wants, it's not far.

True, she's all of this and more. Catty for example, haughty and especially stubborn. Though she's also capable and compassionate, with more heart than she's comfortable to show and a staunch set of morals. I'd actually go as far to say that there's a lot more good in her than bad.

(Side note - if any character dissed her in anyway and then said "Who's your daddy now?" I would stand up and clap.)

It's interesting that you mention this, because I have, in fact, something similar planned for later in the story. Not the exact wording of course, but the general meaning will be similar. Though I wonder if you're going to stand up and clap in this particular situation.

How much earlier? To whom? I'm kind of curious now.

Uh, let me think. I believe it was to xSensus, when he answered the questions at the end of Chapter 6 or Chapter 5, though I might be wrong.

To be honest, there are only three ways she can redeem herself to me. All involved Leonard.

Three ways? I could think of two on the spot, but I'm curious, which three ways do you mean?

In all seriousness, Darren wouldn't help him? Lucas? Those pitiful peasants? Even Jenna? Leonard is loved. Leonard is handsome. Leonard is an eligible bachelor. I'm not sure Lucas would obey Argella Durrandon rather than saving Leonard in a life-or-death situation. I like to think Leonard has more allies than he thinks.

Darren is on Leonard's side for sure. Jenna probably too, though she's currently not fully on anyone's side, as she's still getting used to having to pick sides at all. However, neither Darren nor Jenna hold any kind of real power. Darren is slightly higher-ranking than Leonard, but holds little authority of his own. Jenna is nothing more than a servicemaid. Meanwhile, you are right that Lucas would stand by Leonard's side during a life-or-death situation. However, under any other circumstance, should his new loyalty clash with his old friendship, he would probably try to find a way to please both, which is not always possible. Leonard is not without allies, but he has no one with even the slightest bit of power to help him. Lucas was in the same situation and he realized it.

How many would you say support Hobert over Argella? I haven't exactly seen many "Team Hobert".

Hobert... well, the ones who would support him over Argella can probably be counted on the fingers of one hand at most. There is no Team Hobert, as he's a pain in everyone's collective asses. No one likes him in particular and the smallfolk does not care. That does not mean that everyone who is against Hobert is on Argella's side, not at all. Though his supporters are few, especially after he lost Willfred's help.

You know, he would be pretty efficient in causing trouble for the true knight to come to power, so yeah. Why not?

Hehe, careful what you wish for >:D Though, if you put it that way, he sounds strangely useful, doesn't he?

It appears you're not particularly fond of a certain princess, especially when it comes to her ambition to win the city She's "dadd

• It's interesting that you mention this, because I have, in fact, something similar planned for later in the story. Not the exact wording of course, but the general meaning will be similar. Though I wonder if you're going to stand up and clap in this particular situation.

You mean someone will do something like to Argella or another character?

Three ways? I could think of two on the spot, but I'm curious, which three ways do you mean?

Why don't you guess first, make it a little fun for me.

Darren is on Leonard's side for sure. Jenna probably too, though she's currently not fully on anyone's side, as she's still getting used to having to pick sides at all. However, neither Darren nor Jenna hold any kind of real power. Darren is slightly higher-ranking than Leonard, but holds little authority of his own. Jenna is nothing more than a servicemaid. Meanwhile, you are right that Lucas would stand by Leonard's side during a life-or-death situation. However, under any other circumstance, should his new loyalty clash with his old friendship, he would probably try to find a way to please both, which is not always possible. Leonard is not without allies, but he has no one with even the slightest bit of power to help him. Lucas was in the same situation and he realized it.

Fair enough.

Hobert... well, the ones who would support him over Argella can probably be counted on the fingers of one hand at most. There is no Team Hobert, as he's a pain in everyone's collective asses. No one likes him in particular and the smallfolk does not care. That does not mean that everyone who is against Hobert is on Argella's side, not at all. Though his supporters are few, especially after he lost Willfred's help.

Must suck to be him.

She's "daddy's little girl". Spoiled, snobbish, privileged. She gets everything she wants, it's not far. True, she's all of this and

• You mean someone will do something like to Argella or another character?

Argella will be involved in this situation, that's all I can say. It'll also happen in the relatively near future, though it's likely still a few months of writing left until we come to that point. I have no doubt you will see it once it happens.

Why don't you guess first, make it a little fun for me.

Hm, the two possibilities I can think of on the spot are either that Argella saves Leonard's life, or that she falls in love with him. The third one though... I don't know, enlighten me.

Must suck to be him.

Hobert would see things differently, as he likes being a pain in the ass, but yeah, from my standpoint it must suck to be him as well.

It's interesting that you mention this, because I have, in fact, something similar planned for later in the story. Not the exact wording of

• Hm, the two possibilities I can think of on the spot are either that Argella saves Leonard's life, or that she falls in love with him. The third one though... I don't know, enlighten me.

Gives him lots of gold. That is it.

You mean someone will do something like to Argella or another character? Argella will be involved in this situation, that's all I ca

• [Try to look for a different option]

[Enter the dark room]

Willfred Nearly consumed by cold anger, Willfred could only sent a cold glare at Harris Flowers. The man had lied to him and Willfred fel

• [Try to look for a different option]

[Enter the illuminated room]

Willfred Nearly consumed by cold anger, Willfred could only sent a cold glare at Harris Flowers. The man had lied to him and Willfred fel

• Really? I could've sworn you did. I must be mixing you up with someone else.

If you mean when we voted for that, no, I voted for focusing on Mullendore.

• **[Try to look for a different option]

[Enter the dark room]**

• No, just a coincidence really, it was not my intention at all :)

AgentZ46 posted: »

Wait a minute... was Tallwood and Shortwood done on purpose?

• [Declare your support for House Durrandon]

[Enter the illuminated room]

• edited June 2016

The Voting is closed!

Willfred is going to try to look for a different option

Sadie is going to enter the building through the dark room

Willfred's choice is certainly going to keep things interesting in Raylansfair. It remains to be seen if he truly manages to find a different option. Actually, it is questionable, because he ruined his chances with Hobert earlier and his honour forbids him to support Harris. Meanwhile, Sadie's choice can go both ways. She still has some stuff left to do in this chapter and her next part will show you if you made the right choice or not.

The next part is going to be out either today or tomorrow. I had no time to write at all yesterday, so I still have a lot to do, but I was looking forward for this part for a while and think I should be able to finish it today. It is going to be a Jaron part. The last time we saw Jaron, he recovered from the events of the Chapter 6 finale, together with Harpy and Taria. After the Burned Man got captured by Butterfly's men and after Himani was forced to reveal everything he knew, a painfully large amount of people died, when Butterfly's men attacked those who worked for the Burned Man wherever they were able to find them. Knowing that the fight is probably lost, Harpy made one final plan to free the Burned Man. For this, she called influential sellsword leaders who worked for the Burned Man to her current hideout. These sellswords however were less than impressed by the situation and not willing to risk their lives to save the Burned Man, whom most of them see as dead already. One of them even tried to get into Butterfly's good graces by capturing or killing Harpy in his name. However, before he was able to do so, he was quickly killed by a man named Erik Inchfield, who is apparently the only sellsword left who is willing to work for them. Having won at least this new ally, Harpy then revealed the next step of her plan. She wants to meet with a mysterious person called Hishi, who is the one Keira worked for, to ask for help against a common enemy. She already arranged a meeting, though the condition is that they have to go there unarmed, which is something both Jaron and Erik disagreed with.

• Going through the dark room seem like to easy of a plan, so lets hope this turns out okay. And I am less than optimistic for Harpy's plan. Burned Man is as good as dead when there are only three people going into Butterfly's lair, and Jaron is injured and Harpy can't do much in the way of fighting. Hopefully Harrington shows up and saves the day, because Jaron's surely going to need it.

The Voting is closed! Willfred is going to try to look for a different option Sadie is going to enter the building through the dark ro

• I actually just realised I made a mistake when I closed the voting. A clear majority voted in favour of the dark room, though I wrote that Sadie is going to enter the building through the illuminated room. Silly me XD Though, both rooms have something going on in their favour. The illuminated room is clearly empty, though the fact that it is illuminated could hint at someone returning to it soon. Meanwhile, the dark room would give her more chances to hide, should anything unexpected happens, though she can't be sure if it is truly empty.

As for Jaron's part... well, Harpy mainly hopes to win the help of this Hishi person, which would mean that there will likely be more than just three people entering Butterfly's lair, if it works out. Harrington is still out there as well and at some point in this chapter, there is definitely going to be an update on his next move.

Bounden posted: »

Going through the dark room seem like to easy of a plan, so lets hope this turns out okay. And I am less than optimistic for Harpy's plan. B

• I was really surprised and a bit confused when you closed the voting. XD

My reaction: "What really? I thought dark room was winning?"

I actually just realised I made a mistake when I closed the voting. A clear majority voted in favour of the dark room, though I wrote that S

• edited June 2016

Jaron

Looking at his weapon, Jaron's glance slowly wandered to the dead sellsword, whose fresh blood was still running out of his open throat, forming a small, crimson pool underneath him. The man had tried to kill them and it was unlikely that he would be the last. Without Erik Inchfield, he would have even succeeded.

He looked up at Harpy and shook his head. “I'm sorry”, he said wholeheartedly. “But I agree with Erik on this. This Hishi knows how dangerous the city is, especially for us. She can't possibly expect us to meet her unarmed”

“Indeed”, Erik agreed. “Aside from that, there is the city itself. We need to get to the meeting point first and even if Hishi does not plan to stab us in the back, there are hundreds of Solvers on the streets right now and men like Kotos, who plan to save their hides by screwing us over”

Harpy sighed, but she gave Jaron an understanding nod. “I see”, she said. “You have a point. It is dangerous out there, no question” She glanced at the dead sellsword, before she clenched her fists. “Fine, we'll do it your way”, she gave in. “You will be my armed bodyguards, while I will follow Hishi's order and go unarmed” A sly, though joyless smile formed on her face. “It is a loophole and I doubt Hishi will be amused, but I couldn't care less. Let her be pissed, as long as she helps us”

Jaron found himself to be relieved. Going out on the streets unarmed was not what he wanted at the moment. If anything like the alleyway would happen again... He pressed his lips together, as the vivid memory flashed through his mind. Keira, lying on the ground with a knife piercing her skull through the eye. Himani, as Mullendore shoved a knife through his throat. Jarek, or what little was left of him after the Moggy crushed his head. Ayden, limping away, bleeding from his wounds, with the guards behind him. Martin and the way Jaron had left him...

“Jaron?”, Harpy asked softly. He looked up and saw that she had a worried look in her eyes. “What have you been thinking of?” This time, Jaron glanced at Taria, who was still sitting near the fire, her eyes closed. He lowered his voice as he answered, not wanting to upset her by bringing back the memories of yesterday. “The alleyway”, he said. “Martin... I...” He paused and just shook his head.

Harpy put a warm hand onto his shoulder. “I understand”, she answered and glanced towards the door, where Erik was leaning with a look of clear boredom. “We will talk about this, later. We will leave this wretched hive of a city and all of this behind, I promise” The softness on her face gradually hardened as she spoke, replaced by harsh determination. “First we have to free the Burned Man”

A soft moan came from the corner and Jaron looked at Taria, who grimaced in pain, as she clutched her shoulder. He approached her, but she raised her hand. “It's alright”, she pressed through her teeth. “There's not much you can do” She looked up, clearly in pain because of her wound, but she tried her best to put on a brave face. “Are you leaving?”

As Harpy gave her a nod, Taria's expression dropped for a moment. “To the Hightower then?”, she asked. Before Jaron could answer, she continued. “If... if you go there... Look out for Ayden, please”

Jaron gulped. “We will look for him”, he promised. “But Taria, I... I can't promise anything” Taria gave him a sharp look in return, though the sharpness was replaced by sorrow and pain almost immediately. “I know, I'm not naive”, she answered and next to Jaron, Harpy visibly tensed up. “I know the chances to find him alive are slim. Still... look out for him. I want clarity. A body to bury, if nothing else”

“We will return him to you”, Harpy said, her voice shivering. She and Jaron exchanged a look and a smile of feigned hope formed on her face. Jaron understood what she was doing and why she was doing it. She clung to the hope that the Burned Man was still alive. In her current condition, it was probably the only thing that allowed her to function. While Jaron was trained to ignore the constant, thumping agony in his arm, there were small details that gave away just how miserable Harpy was feeling at the moment. Every step caused her eyes to widen, in a barely noticeable way. Her speech was softer than usual, despite the hint of a naturally harsh accent. She wasn't even breathing correctly, in an effort to ease the pain in her ribs.

Near the door, Erik cleared his throat. “Very well then. This is all very touching, I suppose, but I ain't got time to listen”, he said in a bored tone. “You want me to risk my neck for you? Then come on, before Hishi gets bored”

Harpy gulped and for a moment, Jaron was afraid she could just faint. “Yes. Yes, I'm fine”, she claimed. “We leave” She looked at Taria. “Take care. Lock the door once we're gone and don't open for anyone until we're back” Taria gave her a nod. “Don't have to tell me”, she answered and sluggishly, she rose from her chair. “Please, return safely. I don't want you to die as well”

A brave smile appeared on Harpy's face. “We won't die today”, she said. With these words, she turned around and walked out of the room, together with Erik. Jaron stayed for a moment longer. He smiled at Taria and she smiled back, a small gesture of warmth, and then he followed them.

The building they had been hiding in was in one of Oldtown's more crowded areas. It was the early afternoon, the autumn sun was shining brightly and even though the air grew colder with every day, it was still almost uncomfortable. During days like this, warm winds came south from Dorne and the Summer Sea and the air between the houses quickly grew stale.

In the crowd of people that went into every direction, they drew no attention. Jaron and Erik were armed with longswords, though they were far from the only armed men on the street. Harpy herself was wearing a hooded cloak, while Jaron and Erik, with their more plain looks, had little to worry about.

And there clearly were enough people looking for them. Jaron only saw them because he was specifically paying attention, but as they silently made their way through the crowded streets, he saw groups of people passing by, all of them armed, with determined looks on their faced, ready to spill blood. Undoubtedly, some of them already had today. They were Butterfly's men, the Solvers, and this city was theirs now.

Trying not to draw any unwanted attention, the three made their way through Oldtown. No one said a word, as they passed more and more groups of armed men and none of these men paid any closer attention to them in the anonymity of the crowd. Gradually, the crowd grew smaller, until finally, they left the main streets altogether, to walk through a set of empty side streets, towards the part of the city that was predominantly used to store the wares of the merchants that reached the city by land. Large warehouses soon dominated the view, their fronts were made out of stone, with roofs made out of red bricks, though the other sides often consisted out of simple wood and included larger doors for the actual wares to enter the building.

Finally, Erik broke the silence. “Is it over there?”, he asked and pointed at a building. Jaron followed his glance. It was an ordinary warehouse, three stories, with a front made out of stone. Large, elegant columns supported a canopy, darkening everything below and preventing Jaron from seeing anything in the windows in the ground-floor.

“It is. How do you know?”, Harpy asked and Erik pointed at the first floor of the building. “Two men patrolled there, armed with short spears, the kind that has barbed tips. In the second floor, I saw two men with longswords, the fine, double-edged sort”, he explained. “They have seen us”

“Then why don't they approach us? Why don't they at least alert the others?”, Jaron asked. Erik smirked, irritatingly. “Because the crossbowmen in the ground floor aim at us”, he remarked and immediately, Harpy tensed up, hard enough to cause her to sigh in pain. Jaron narrowed his eyes, as he looked towards the ground floor. In the darkness below the canopy, it was hard to see a thing, but there was the hint of a dark figure, pointing something at them.

“Fuck”, Jaron mumbled, though Harpy remained calm. “Raise your hands”, she hissed and both men followed her order. “Let them know we're no threat. Keep your calm” As she started to approach the building, Erik smiled. “Wasn't planning on loosing it, mylady”, he growled in a low tone. Jaron was less calm though, knowing that they approached armed men. “Who are these people, Harpy?”, he asked and she looked at him over her shoulder. “I believe Hishi calls them 'The Thorns'. They guard her brothel and obviously herself as well. Trained killers, unfailingly loyal to their employer”

They made it almost to the canopy until a voice called out. “That is close enough!”, a man yelled at them. “Keep your hands where we can see them. You will stay alive if you follow our orders” Jaron and Erik raised their hands even higher, though Harpy didn't quite manage to put hers above her head, the pain that flashed through her ribs was too much.

The elegant wooden door to the warehouse got opened and a man walked out. The face below his hood was young and he looked not particularly amused. “You're from the Burned Man?”, he asked and Harpy gave him a silent nod. “Why are you still armed?”

“Because the city is dangerous”, Jaron answered in her stead. “Neither do we trust you enough to approach you unarmed” The young man turned around, speaking something to someone in the shadows. Finally, he turned back towards Jaron. “Fine. Enter, but know that we outnumber you by far. The building is surrounded by our men. There's no way out unless we allow it”

Wordlessly, Harpy moved towards him. Jaron followed and finally, Erik did so as well, though he looked unhappy about this turn of events. The young man at the door turned around, just as Harpy opened her mouth. “Hishi expects us”, she said, but the man did not answer. He only gave her a sign to follow.

The trio walked into the warehouse and Jaron noticed that the stony front was little more. A long hallway that allowed entrance into the storage itself and into a set of rooms where the owners of these warehouses usually received their customers. The young man led them through the hallway, towards a large door. He stopped in front of it and turned around. “Behave in there”, he warned them, as he knocked on the door.

“Send them in”, a deep, male voice sounded. Harpy raised her eyebrows, but remained silent. Jaron noticed her confusion though and he shared it. Even though Keira claimed that Hishi was a man, Harpy obviously had a different opinion. This voice in there however, it clearly came from a man. Nonetheless, Harpy took a breath as deep as her damaged ribs allowed and she walked, into the deep room behind.

As Jaron followed, his eyes needed a moment to adjust to the darkness. It wasn't pitch black, though dim enough to be a noticeable contrast to the bright afternoon sun. The room itself was apparently the main storage room of the warehouse. The ground was covered in straw, dirty stone underneath, the ceiling high above. Ladders allowed access to the higher levels of the warehouse and it was filled with barrels and large crates.

In the middle of the room, leaning on a pillar next to a set of barrels, stood a man, his thick arms crossed. He was older than Jaron, in his forties at the very least, a tall and well-built man with a broad, scarred face. His nose was crooked, his eyes were small and his hair was shaved very short. He seemed unarmed, though he was wearing armour, a thick leather chestpiece that did not cover his arms.

“You were told to come unarmed, Lady Harpy”, he growled and Harpy gulped. “Lanford”, she greeted him in return. “I was told I'd talk to Hishi” The man, Lanford, immediately shook his head. “Hishi is in Dorne, taking care of an urgent business deal”, he answered. “You're talking to me instead. I suppose that is not a problem”

“Not at all”, Harpy assured him. “I was just surprised. Lanford, these are Ser Jaron and Erik Inchfield, my companions” She looked at Jaron and Erik. “And this man here is Lanford, leader of the Thorns”

A crooked, unfriendly smile appeared on Lanford's face. “So, this is Jaron the Bastard”, he remarked as he looked towards Jaron. “Our talk hasn't even started and you've already started lying to me” Harpy furrowed her brows. “You mean?”, she asked and Lanford chuckled. “We have our own sources and they told us that this bastard knight here is way more than just your 'companion'”, he explained and his smirk grew wider, expecting Harpy to become more irritated. She remained calm though. “He is”, she confirmed. “But I believe this is not relevant to our talk”

This time, Lanford have her a nod. “Our talk, yes”, he said and reached behind a large barrel. Erik muttered a curse, as he raised his shield. The next moment, Lanford rose an object in his hands and Jaron recognized it as a loaded crossbow, a deadly weapon inside this building. Lanford had enough space to aim, to keep them at bay without effort.

“I am afraid our talk will happen a bit different than you expect”, Lanford stated. “I will be the one asking the questions, while you simply answer” Harpy gave him a nod, as unimpressed as possible, even though Jaron saw that she was just feigning confidence. “And what happens then?”, she asked. Lanford shrugged. “Depends on your answers”, he told her. “Let's start with the first question. How did Keira die?”

Harpy bit her lower lip and even though Jaron wanted to answer in her stead, wanted to take away this burden from her, he knew that this was something she had to do herself. “Are you familiar with what happened yesterday?”, she asked and Lanford gave her a nod. “Just the basics. There have been many conflicting rumours”, he answered. “Some say you've been attacked by Butterfly. Others say it was Maron Mullendore. Some say Mullendore got killed by Butterfly, others say it was you who put a knife through his skull, while others say he survived and it was Butterfly who died. No one on the streets mentioned Keira, even though she was ten times as pure as both of these fuckers combined. Still, we found her head on a pike in front of the Hightower, right next to her beloved Martin Wilshere” His crossbow slowly moved upwards, until it pointed at Harpy's head. “I want to know the truth”

“The truth is that we were attacked by Maron Mullendore”, Harpy started to explain. “He is Butterfly” Momentarily, Lanford's eyes widened. “So, that rumour is true after all”, he stated. “I didn't want to believe it. What happened then?”

“He had captured a boy, Himani Sand. He...”, Harpy said and paused. Now, Jaron cleared his throat. “They tortured him”, he answered and even though just thinking about it was hard enough, he continued, for Harpy's sake. Though she was shivering, he knew she was grateful that he answered in her stead. “Mullendore killed him. In return, Harpy wounded him, perhaps even killed him. His men started to fight, many died. Keira was hit by a throwing knife, thrown by the Tom”

“That masked cocksucker...”, Lanford mumbled, in obvious anger. “Why was Keira with you on this evening?” Harpy raised an eyebrow. “I thought she told you”, she answered and Lanford shook his head. “Keira was one of our best. When she... persuaded a man, she got all of his secrets. But much to Hishi's chagrin, she refused to ever spy on the Burned Man”, he answered. “You know, she was madly in love with that Martin fellow”

“And out of love, she agreed to help him and us”, Harpy answered, though her voice shivered as she spoke. “She really never spied on us? Not even once?” Lanford gave her a grim nod. “As I said, she was madly in love with that guy. Keira was a whore, living in a world of lies. But this... this was something genuine. Even Hishi understood it” He sighed and Jaron understood the pain in his eyes. After all, Lanford had lost a friend as well.

“Next question”, Lanford said. “Why have you come here?” Harpy tensed up as the crossbow moved from her to Jaron. Slowly, she moved between Jaron and Lanford, her hands raised. “Don't you ever point that thing at him again”, she warned him coldly. Lanford narrowed his eyes, though he gave her a nod. “Understood”, he agreed. “My question still stands though”

“We came for help”, Harpy answered, still in a cold, aggravated tone. “Mullendore captured the Burned Man. He is still alive and in the dungeons below the Hightower. We need your help to free him. Afterwards we plan to leave this city. Erik here will get a considerable reward and we'll take as much as we can carry, but the rest will belong to Hishi, in exchange for help”

“I see...”, Lanford mumbled and slowly, he lowered his crossbow. “Then I have only two questions left. First, do you already have a plan. Second, what do you need in particular and how can I help?” A surprised look appeared on Jaron's face. “You're willing to help us?”, he asked and Lanford gave him a nod. “I am”, he confirmed. “And I know, Hishi would be willing to help you as well. For Keira's sake, for a little flower that got plucked too early” A violent streak appeared on this face. “She was not only one of Hishi's favourites, she was my friend. How could you think, just for a moment, that I would not help you, after what this whoreson Mullendore took from us?”, he growled. “And if we find this cat-masked son of a cunt, I'm going to put an arrow right through his eye”

For a moment, there was only silence, as a relieved, hopeful smile formed on Harpy's face. Then, a voice sounded from above, immediately causing her to frown. “Now, this is quite interesting”, a calm, dark voice sounded. “I believe I have heard enough” Lanford's crossbow moved upwards, pointing at the ladder that led to the first floor. “Who's there?”, he yelled. “Show yourself!”

And the man showed himself, by elegantly jumping down the first floor and onto the ground. He held a longsword in his right hand and a dagger in his left. These weapons were the most remarkable part about him, as the rest, from his plain face, to his brown hair and blue eyes, looked so dangerously common that he could perfectly blend into any kind of crowd. However, an aura of danger surrounded him like a coat. “Oh no...”, Harpy mumbled and just a moment later, Jaron recognized him as well. “Good afternoon, Lady Harpy”, Samuel Harrington greeted her.

Immediately, Jaron pointed his sword at him, though he saw that Erik hesitated. “Harrington!”, Lanford spat. “What happened to my men up there?” Samuel smirked. “They are going to sleep for a while. I wouldn't go as far as to repeat the mistake our men did yesterday. Hishi is neutral in this war and we'd like if it remains this way”, he answered and looked at Harpy. “I have no quarrel with you, Lanford and no blood needs to be spilled between us. I'm just here for her”

Now it was up to Jaron to move in front of her. “You can't have her!”, he growled. “Over my dead body” Samuel chuckled. “That is foolish. Even your sellsword friend here noticed that much”, he answered, pointing at Erik, who still hadn't raised his weapon. The look in the sellswords eyes was almost one of fear. “I would have fought for you, mylady”, he claimed. “But not against the Fang of Shadows!”

“Smart man”, Samuel remarked, before he looked at Jaron and Harpy. “And now to you. This meeting is over. I have order to bring you to the Hightower, alive. If you resist, we will fight and I will win” He pointed the longsword at Jaron. “It's your choice, Ser Bastard. You either fight me and die, or you surrender and live”

[Fight against Samuel Harrington] [Surrender]

• InGen_Nate_KennyInGen_Nate_Kenny Moderator
    edited June 2016

[Fight against Samuel Harrington]

Fight fight fight!

KILL HIM!

Jaron Looking at his weapon, Jaron's glance slowly wandered to the dead sellsword, whose fresh blood was still running out of his open th

• edited June 2016

If I must be honest I don't know what to choice!XD Surrender will be the safe choice because,since Samuel is at his 100% (something that he will not be if we help Terroma during the last chapter!),the outcoume of a fight should be obvious (except if the guy with the crossbow give us a hand) but if I view the events from Jaron POV I found really weird let the man that probably work for Mullendore take my girlfriend.

PS:About the choice I've decide that I won't vote

Talking about the part itself here my own thoughts:

• I really like how you write the meeting with "Hishi" (that make me even more curious about when and how the real stuff will appear inside the story)
    • I must admit to found really smart from Harrington to still not leave his workplace (since probably no one alive know of his betrayal),this will probably give him the chance to encounter his brother and have his revenge
    • Still talking about Samuel I must admit that he sure know how make an entrance

"For Keira's sake, for a little flower that got plucked too early"

I really like this phrase,even if it is a really sad one.

“I would have fought for you, mylady”, he claimed. “But not against the Fang of Shadows!”

My own opinion of Erik now

Jaron Looking at his weapon, Jaron's glance slowly wandered to the dead sellsword, whose fresh blood was still running out of his open th

• Samuel's so cool!

[Surrender] There's no winning this fight. Best to be smart, surrender for now and bide time. Plus I really like Samuel and though it seems really unlikely to happen, I don't want him to die.

• Took me long to decide, but.... [Fight against Samuel Harrington] Simply because I think surrendering in this situation would just be out of character for Jaron. I don't know what kind of game is Harrington playing here, but Jaron wouldn't just give Harpy to him.

And good way to make Hishi even more mysterious :D Now I really want to see her.

Great part, but I'm still feeling like Jaron and Harpy are on very thin ice at the moment. I just feel like something terrible is about to happen to them, again. :(

• [Fight against Samuel Harrington] Didn't Sam leave Butterfly? And if so, he is probably just testing Jaron.

• [Fight against Samuel Harrington]

Puh, forgot to vote, even if read the part long ago!

And the choice... well, they went there for a reason and with a purpose, there is no surrendering now.

• edited June 2016

[Fight against Samuel Harrington] I do not see the need to back down here.

• [Fight against Samuel Harrington] I'm pretty sure that he'll just knock him out and then make a plan with them against the Butterfly.

• [Fight against Samuel Harrington] Jaron's a true knight he always protects the lady.

• My favourite character definitely has to be Jenna Harking of course. Totally don't want her dead for what she did to Wolfius or anything.

2 characters I submitted are The Sphynx, who tortured Lucas and the Moggy, who put down Dairon.

Who is your favorite character? And characters you may have submitted? I...I would like to know.

• (Fight Samuel Harrington)

• The Voting is closed!

Jaron is going to fight Samuel Harrington

The large majority in favour of this option surprises me. Before giving you this choice, I expected things to be more even. After all, Samuel received quite the build-up as a very dangerous fighter. Personally, I would have probably chosen to surrender, as this always could have opened up the possibility for a later escape. That said, from a writing perspective, I am glad you chose this option and I can also definitely understand your reasoning behind it. Fighting here is more in line with Jaron's character. Also, you know that Samuel learned something in Chapter 6 that basically shattered his loyalty to Butterfly. It remains to be seen what kind of game he is playing here and what kind of role Jaron and Harpy are meant to play in it.

The next part is hopefully going to be out today. I apologize for the longer wait, though I haven't been home for a majority of the weekend and was limited to my phone. It was my father's birthday, so I didn't manage to write anything for FoT on Saturday and Sunday. That said, I started the part on Friday and I managed to make enough progress back then to hopefully finish it today. It will feature a PoV from Maya and quite probably a PoV from Garthon as well. Both of them weren't seen in this chapter yet. In the last chapter, Maya broke into the archive, together with Gregar and Keat, while Irving remained outside to stand guard. Down in the archive's basement, Maya found nothing of particular worth, though she also had the feeling that some kind of presence was down there with her, which was an experience that deeply terrified her. Without having found a lot, the trio made their way back out of the archive. However, unfortunately Irving fell asleep outside and failed to warn the others of a nearby patrol of guardsmen. While Gregar and Keat were caught, Maya remained in the archive, hoping to find another exit without being caught by the guards. Meanwhile, Harren Hoare made Garthon and Torvin an offer they were unable to refuse. By kidnapping Torvin's lover and murdering their unborn child, Harren broke his will and forced Torvin into his service. Garthon followed out of loyalty. Together with Lord Volmark, who is known to oppose Harren regularly, they have been sent to raid Raylansfair. Garthon's next chapter is set during their journey, a while later.

• It remains to be seen what kind of game he is playing here and what kind of role Jaron and Harpy are meant to play in it.

I've already can't wait for the next Jaron part!

It will feature a PoV from Maya and quite probably a PoV from Garthon as well.

I'm really curious of what will happen to Maya inside the archive;about the Ironbros instead I just can't wait to see the start of their magical quest to bring happiness and joy to all the characters currently present at Raylainsfair!XD

so I didn't manage to write anything for FoT on Saturday and Sunday

Don't worry,Real Life>>>>>>Internet stuff (yes,even the memes)

The Voting is closed! Jaron is going to fight Samuel Harrington The large majority in favour of this option surprises me. Before givin

• Maya

Maya's heart was beating heavily as she walked deeper into the nightly archive. It wasn't only the fact that half of her group just got caught by the guards, or the fact that she was livid with anger at Irving, but also the general atmosphere of the archive. She didn't dare to light a torch and without Keat who knew his way around, she was left near blind in rooms that were close to pitch black, which was every room aside from the main hallway she was standing in right now.

On top of that, the memory of whatever she had seen in the lower levels still haunted her. By nature, Maya considered herself brave and she was proud that she had proven her courage time and again. In fact, this was how she caught the eye of Lord Royce, when he saw her fighting a man almost twice her size to protect her little brother. Maya was not afraid to fight anyone who would try to stop her, be it a man, a woman, or even an animal. But what she saw down there, it had been neither and just the thought of its mere silhouette caused her to feel unprecedented terror.

She tried her best to suppress this thought, as she had to focus on finding her way out of the archive. This was a harder task than she expected. Aside from the window she had used to enter the building, she had a hard time finding any other windows at ground floor. There were no backdoors she knew of and the main door was undoubtedly locked. The hallway she was stumbling into after she left the room she had used to enter the archive wasn't containing any more windows, at least not at ground level. Above her, and accessible from the second floor, were large windows though, which at least slightly illuminated the hallway, allowing her to see enough so that she was in no danger of running into a wall.

Still, Maya had to be careful, as she walked through the archive. She was pretty sure that there was no one here but herself, but she didn't want to test it. Perhaps some archivist was working late, or a guard strolling through the hallways, or something worse, so much worse. No, it was for the best not to test her luck.

It wasn't the first time she had to free herself out of a dire situation. Working for Lord Royce kept her family fed, but it was far from safe for Maya herself. Stealing, spying, it held a natural risk. Usually though, it was only her own life at stake, something Maya was willing to wager if it meant supporting her family. This time however, it felt different. If she would fail, there would be serious consequences for everyone she ever cared for. At the very least, she would create a diplomatic crisis between the Vale and the Reach. At the worst, she would doom her kingdom in the wars to come.

Maya turned around another corner, finally spotting what she had been looking for this entire time. A simple staircase, leading to the first floor and hopefully to the second floor as well. From there on, she would make her way to one of the windows, which should give her an opportunity to check the street below, to make sure that no one would see her climbing out.

As she walked through the hallway, approaching the staircase, her glance fell to her right and for a moment, she slowed down and shivered. A small set of stairs led down to the lower levels of the archive, the very same set of stairs she had been walking down a few hours ago, in the company of Gregar and Keat, the very same set of stairs she'd been rushing up to after feeling something down there she was unable to explain.

With clenched fists, Maya averted her eyes from the door and soon reached the stairs. She put one foot onto it, hoping that it wouldn't creak. Naturally, it did. Maya stopped and pressed her lips together, as she carefully put the other foot onto the stairs as well. This time, the old wood did not creak. Things were different with the third step where another creak sounded through the hallway. Maya grimaced. Perhaps it was the nightly silence of the archive, but she was sure that anyone who was still present in the building must have heard it. Then, before she could take another step, something unexpected happened, something that immediately caused her to tense up. Another creak sounded, though this time it did not come from the staircase. It came from behind her. It came from the door she had just passed.

As silently as she could, Maya glanced over her shoulder. The set of stairs that led down to the lower archive was around a corner, the door itself was out of her sight. But then, she heard something else, and again it was not what she wanted to hear. Soft, shambling footsteps, slowly making their way upstairs. She knew, whatever it was down there, it would see her the moment it would have reached the top of the stairs.

Now there was nothing holding her back. Without caring for the noise, she rushed upwards. Behind her, she heard something else again. Perhaps it was just a particularly loud creak from the stairs, perhaps it was a decidedly inhuman, hissing sound. Maya did not wait to find out, as she had reached the top of the stairs. Immediately, she looked around, spotting another set of stairs down another hallway, which would hopefully lead her up to the second floor. She continued to run, while behind her she heard the familiar creaking of the staircase. Someone, something was behind her and to her growing horror, she realized that it was much faster than her.

Maya's lungs were aching, as she forced herself to gain more and more speed, as she rushed down the hallway as if the Stranger itself was behind her. From what she knew, it certainly wasn't unthinkable.

She reached the second set of stairs and didn't even stop to orientate herself. The sound of shambling footsteps was still behind her and it was coming closer. On top of that, a deep shiver was sent down her spine and she needed a moment to recognize the sound she just heard as a growl, the deepest she ever heard in her life.

And then she had reached the top of the stairs, just as the thing behind her had reached its bottom. A quick glance to her left showed a large window and behind it, Maya saw the alleyway through which she had entered the archive. About five feet behind the window, the next house was located and a bold plan formed in Maya's mind. It would be dangerous, though still less dangerous than staying. There was a high chance that she would end up wounded, though it was the only chance she had.

Maya charged towards the window, in a desperate attempt to escape from the being that followed her. From the sounds it made, it had just reached the top of the stairs. And suddenly, Maya heard something even worse than any sound it had made before. It spoke. Whatever it was, it spoke and by hearing these words, Maya knew that it wasn't human, but something much, much worse.

THIEF, it said, and she did not hear these words in the regular way. There was no mouth to speak them and they didn't need to be heard by her ears. The memory of hearing them simply appeared in her mind as if it has always been there. WE HEAR YOU, it said, WE SEE YOU, it said, WE FEEL YOU, it said, YOU ARE ALL ALONE IN HERE, LITTLE THIEF, it said, YOU WILL DIE AND NO ONE WILL MOURN YOU, it said.

“NO!”, Maya yelled and jumped. Despite the terror she felt, she managed to turn her head to the right and to close her eyes, as her body hit the glass of the window. It shattered from the impact, sending her flying out of the building. Thanks to the speed she had gained, she managed to fall against the next building and instinctively, her hands grabbed the narrow windowsill.

Desperately clinging to the small, stony edge, Maya glanced over her shoulder and back into the archive. In the shadows, there was something else, pitch black. It was long and thin, nothing but a humanoid shadow, with bony fingers, far longer than fingers should be. Then, the clouds gave way for the light of the moon and the moment it fell into the shattered window, the shadow disappeared, leaving no trace.

Maya breathed out in relief and just like the thing, her adrenaline was gone in an instant. She realized that she was clinging to a narrow windowsill, a good ten feet above the ground. She realized the thumping pain in her head and the warm liquid that ran down her face. And she realized that a particularly large shard of glass was embedded in her left upper arm. A small, involuntary scream of pain left her throat, as she let go of the windowsill.

The fall was over before she even fully realized it. Despite this, Maya instinctively knew how to land. It wasn't the first time she fell from such a height. She bended her knees, just in the right angle and while the landing was nearly flawless, the impact still sent agonizing pain through her body. She tried to stagger back to her feet, though she only succeeded at slowly stumbling backwards, against the walls of the archive, where she collapsed.

“Maya?”, a voice asked, preventing her from fully drifting into unconsciousness. She raised her head, spotting a figure a few metres away from her. Just a moment later, she recognized Irving and the dizzy feeling in her entire body was replaced by anger. Her right hand moved towards her left upper arm and with a groan, she removed the shard from it, to prevent it from digging any deeper into her flesh. Blood poured out of the wound, but at the moment she couldn't care less.

“Seven Hells, Maya!”, Irving exclaimed as he rushed towards her side, just as she managed to get back onto her knees. As he approached her, her angry glare fell upon the shard in her hand and she noticed that she had clenched her fist around it, tight enough to cut into her hand. With a groan, she let go of it, as she staggered back onto her feet. Then, Irving had reached her.

“Maya, what happened?”, he asked, in obvious concern. Instead of answering, Maya gave in to her anger, as she slapped him across the face, hard and painful. This action caused a new wave of pain to flash through her wounded arm and she pressed her hand onto the wound, as she leant against the wall of the archive, while breathing heavily.

Irving looked at her, with big, baffled eyes. “What...?”, he started to say, but Maya cut him off. “I nearly died in there”, she hissed through clenched teeth, while she glared at him with fury in her eyes. “Gregar and Keat got captured by the city guard, because you thought it would be great to take a nap!”

Irving's eyes widened. “I... oh gods...”, he stuttered. “Maya, I... I only closed my eyes for a second, I swear, I was only tired, it wasn't...” She cut him off. “Shut up!”, she yelled, not bothering with anyone hearing it. “Shut up, I don't want to hear your excuses!” She paused and shivered in pain, anger and the few remnants of fear from her experience in the archive. “Gregar and Keat, they are...”, she gulped and narrowed her eyes. “It is your damn fault!”

As she said this, Irving went pale. He shook his head. “Maya...”, he stuttered. “Maya, please. I know I fucked up, big time. I can't undo it and I can't deny it. This was my fault. But please, please, please, give me a chance to prove my loyalty. I lo...” He paused and now Maya saw that Irving was shivering. “Please, don't kick me out of the group, don't send me away! You know I would never betray you!”

[Send Irving away] [Keep him around]

Garthon

It was during one evening, a few days after their journey had started, when Garthon noticed that something had changed. He had changed. Before the alliance with the fishlords ruined his brother, Garthon had no doubt about what he was doing. He was following Torvin, always. But after everything that happened, he started to doubt if it still was the right thing to do.

They had raided a coastal village yesterday. It was located to close to the border that Garthon hadn't even been sure if it belonged to the Riverlands or the Rock. They attacked in the early morning and the villagers stood no chance. There were few things in this world that were able to withstand six Ironborn longships and a hundred times as many raiders.

Three longships were under the command of Durren Stallhart. Garthon knew him and never thought ill of him. In turn, Stallhart had always been a friend of Torvin. However, just like so many things, this had changed. The older captain had made it clear how disappointed he was in Torvin and his actions. Both men were supposed to raid together. Instead, Stallhart was only accompanying them for a short while, before leaving on his own to raid the towns closer to the coast. Garthon had never thought ill of Durren Stallhart before this day. And now, the captain was on his flagship, only a hundred feet away, raping his new salt wive to death.

Cleaver Clint Volmark was a step ahead with this project. In the early morning, his men had thrown the body of his newest salt wive overboard, a girl of sixteen at most, whom had been captured during their most recent raid. She had given him a new scar during the raid, but Volmark grew bored with her after just a single night. Garthon had seen her death, seen how she struggled like a lioness despite being wrapped in iron chains and how she slowly drowned.

During moments like this, Garthon felt sick. Perhaps it was true what Cleaver Clint had said, when Garthon refused to participate in the raiding. Perhaps he had spent too much time among the Greenlanders. Garthon wasn't sure if this was a good thing, but he knew it wasn't bad to see things different than Volmark.

A fifth ship was under command of Edward Anturion. The pirate had joined them in Seagard. For murdering George, he had been presented with a longship and a crew consisting entirely out of fierce killers. He brought his own men with him, a man with a crossbow and a woman with short, dark hair, Carvin and Alisa. And Alys Boleyn, the girl Torvin had spared just a few weeks ago. Garthon wasn't sure if his brother would spare her life now, after everything that happened. And he wasn't sure why Anturion even brought her with him. An Ironborn longship wasn't the right place for a girl like her. Whatever scheme the pirate was playing, Alys was a pawn in it.

And then there was Torvin's ship, the Leviathan, with him and Torvin, as well as a hundred men. None of their former crew were allowed to support them in this raid. Garthon hadn't seen any of his old crewmates, wasn't even sure if they were alive, or if Harren Hoare murdered them out of pure spite. Instead, the faces were new. There was Hjalgar, perhaps the only one Garthon truly trusted on here. Rell, Simon Vessels' only son, was a guest aboard the ship. And Tedyn Bullister, Harren's executioner. Garthon wasn't sure why Harren had sent this man with them, though he guessed it was to control Torvin even when he wasn't at court. The silent man, always wearing a helmet and keeping his large axe with him, was an intimidating sight. As long as Tedyn was around, no one would dare to turn against the king, not even Torvin. Especially not Torvin, for he had changed.

At first, Garthon didn't want to believe it, but after the raid, he couldn't deny it. Torvin wasn't the same anymore. Loosing family... Garthon could only imagine the pain his brother went through at the moment. He was barely eating anymore, wasn't drinking with the men and during the raid, he was more brutal than ever before. Torvin had killed men and women, left and right, without mercy. Of course, Durren Stallhart and Clint Volmark had shown no mercy either, but until then, Torvin had been nothing like them. The brutality he had shown during the raid, it was shocking and it caused Garthon himself to remain near the ships while the others were reaving an innocent village.

Yes, Garthon could no longer deny it. A lot had changed. Torvin, first and foremost. Most men who knew him only saw the harsh, stubborn and stoic captain. Garthon knew him as his brother, a man with principles, a dutiful man with a code of honour and a deep sense of family. It was this sense of family that had led to his undoing.

Garthon was still Torvin's first mate and would follow his orders, nothing had changed about that. He was still Torvin's brother and he would do anything for him, always. Torvin's current condition, the bitterness, the broken mixture of sorrow and agonizing anger, Garthon felt partially at fault for it. Perhaps he should have tried to stop Torvin, perhaps he should have tried to do it more persistently. And maybe he could have stopped all of this and his nephew would have had a chance to live.

He gulped, as he rose from the chair in his small cabin. With dark thoughts like that, Garthon had to get some fresh air. Just thinking of this gave him a feeling as if he was slowly loosing his mind. The raid, what Volmark and Stallhart did, how Torvin participated, how Garthon himself did nothing to stop them...

Garthon staggered out of his room, making his way through the wooden corridor behind, and up a small set of stairs that led to the upper deck. It was dark outside and foggy. While the upper deck of the Leviathan was still entirely visible to him, the other ships were only dim lights in the fog around him. While general talking was going on, it was relatively silent, surprising for an Ironborn ship, especially as the upper deck was far from empty.

As Garthon stepped to the railing to get some fresh air, he spotted the reason for this eery silence. Torvin was standing near the wheel, absent-mindedly glancing into the grey fog. There was a part in Garthon that wanted to talk to his brother, that wanted to support him just like Torvin had always been there for him. At the same time, Garthon knew when it was better to give his brother some space. They hadn't spoken to each other ever since Garthon had accepted Harren's offer in the cells and right now, under the eyes of half of the crew, it seemed like a terrible time to repair their relationship. Torvin could always count on him and Garthon hoped that he knew this.

No, Torvin surely wasn't in the mood to talk right now. Garthon however needed someone to talk to, no matter how shallow and superficial such a talk would be, if only so that he could think of something different for a time. In moments like this, Garthon missed Kyra, who stayed behind at Harrenhal. There were so many things he would have told her, if only they had more time. Perhaps he would never see her again.

This thought was even grimmer than before and Garthon looked around, for anyone he could talk to. The first familiar face he saw belonged to Hjalgar Holgarsson. The young man was among the few Garthon trusted on here. He willingly declared his support for Torvin, twice. Even though he knew the risk, he joined their mission after just a little bit of encouragement from Garthon. Despite this, he had rarely spent time to learn more about the young man. Perhaps now was a good time. Hjalgar was sitting for himself, apparently doing nothing and Garthon was sure that the young man would appreciate the company and learning more about one of the few trustworthy men on this ship couldn't hurt.

At the other side of the upper deck sat two people. One of them was Tedyn Bullister, as always wearing a full helmet. He was sharpening his axe and Garthon was sure that he wouldn't get the silent man to talk. Next to him however sat Rell Vessels. While far from a pleasant person, Rell was a member of their mission. Together with Tedyn, he was the one whom Garthon trusted the least out of their crew. Perhaps this was exactly the reason why he should talk to them. In better times, Torvin had once said that it was a good thing to keep an eye on someone's enemies. Garthon was simply unsure if he truly saw these two as his enemies.

[Talk to Hjalgar] [Talk to Rell and Tedyn]

• [Send Irving away] I knew he would screw it up, we need to play hard ball here. As someone here who enjoys Irving, him starting to hate Maya would be pretty amusing.

[Talk to Rell and Tedyn] Eh, new person let's talk to him.

Maya Maya's heart was beating heavily as she walked deeper into the nightly archive. It wasn't only the fact that half of her group just

• [Keep him around]

[Talk to Rell and Tedyn] hmm let's get to know them a little better. Poor Torvin. :(

Maya Maya's heart was beating heavily as she walked deeper into the nightly archive. It wasn't only the fact that half of her group just

• [Keep him around] A man with something to loose, is a usefull man. Let's see how this plays out

[Talk to Hjalgar] Time to make a diamond out of this lump of coal

Sign in to comment in this discussion.